PDA

View Full Version : FISHING WORLD GOING LIKE ALL THE WOMENS MAGS

caveman
19-09-2005, 06:25 PM
i subscribe to the FISHING WORLD MAG and have noticed in every issue there seems to be one or more articles by david green (like the womens mags used to be with LADY DI) surely there are other fisho's out there that send in articles

NeilD
19-09-2005, 06:41 PM
I think it has been going downhill since Ron Calcutt left. If you ever look back at some of the stuff put out decades ago it still reads well and covers stuff that new writers are "discovering" now. I still buy FW but that is because its a habit from the 70's that I don't want to break. I think B&B is a much better read nowdays.

Neil

tshort
20-09-2005, 12:58 PM
B&B usualy have a story on page 1. Others I've noticed have had 11 pages of ads before the first article !

roz
20-09-2005, 02:33 PM
I havn't read a Fishing World Mag for a very long time, and even then, David Green was churning them out. He does well though, but variety is definately a good thing.

Caveman, you can't seriously be comparing a good fishing mag with No Idea magazine.

Roz

caveman
20-09-2005, 08:54 PM
roz was going on the fact that they were similar in the fact you seen the same thing over and over, LADY DI in one and DAVID GREEN in the other

McCod
20-09-2005, 09:36 PM
Caveman... must be hard for a writer that writes for several mags not to repeat ones self over several years.... it seems there is a shortage of writers and its not only Greeny... there are others... #and some of the photos get repeated 3 or 4 times over different mags for years on end.
Be nice to see some new stuff from em.... Allways good to see some stuff from the part timers.

# #Les

roz
21-09-2005, 09:08 PM
I agree caveman, must be difficult for the same writer to come up with a different spin on the same old topic.

But I would'nt dream of comparing any fishing mag with some of those brain dead women's mags.

Cheers Roz.

Duyz72
22-09-2005, 05:39 PM
When ever I pick up an old fishing mag in a second hand book store it really puts fishing in to perspective. Fishing is the same, the fish are the same (although less of them around) only we have changed. Now it's $1,000's of dollars of gear to catch fish, with the best technology money can buy.

Then it was a Cane rod or a hand line. Sure technology has come a long way with chemically sharpened hooks and graphite/titanium rods and reels etc but surely there is a limit to the 'new' insights any writer can have.

I am sure you can pick many articles from 50 years ago, update the date relevant items and it would sit comfortably in any of the new mags.

nonibbles
22-09-2005, 08:30 PM
I've still got a copy of the old Daiwa Holiday Fishing Guide that I'm sure was in FW back in the 70's (culled from a friends mag collection that his missus told him to dump) or was it Angler? Anyway some of the younger kids could do with a read of even these days