PDA

View Full Version : FISHING CHARTERS

ON-THE-CHEW
23-09-2005, 07:31 PM
Is it just me or any one else, whenever you go on a fishing charter not a lot of quality fish get caught? I have spoken to my mates and they are of the same opinion. Some times I am under the opinion the rods and reels they are using are overkill for what you actually catch, when a smaller setup would catch a greater number of fish due to sensitivity. I know what ever the charter uses has to basically be idiot proof but some of the setups they have i think you would have better chance of dragging the reef up than catching any fish.

Does anyone know if most charters have a problem with you using your own gear?

I don't know if you can mention names but what is your best or worst charter experience?

<>< <>< <><

philip_thomson
23-09-2005, 08:11 PM
my uncle and i make a twice annual trip on a charter from noosa (celebratory trip) i always take my own gear and they have no hassels at all with me bringing my own gear. i normally take my baitrunner for a floater and tld for the bottom basher.

cheers phil

BTW charter i go on is fishing offshore noosa

fishingnottake
23-09-2005, 08:26 PM
most charters wont hae a problem with you bringing you're own gear, most would probably prefer it, saves their gear, as to quality of fish, it reall does come down to the operators, i've been on some shocking charters, overcrowded, the skipper following a set schedule regardless of what the fish are doing, and i've been on some great charters, for example reel fishn, len and john are two of the most knowledgeable skippers i've ever had the pleasure of being out on the water with, and are well worth your time,
ash

2DKnBJ
23-09-2005, 08:31 PM
have been out on a few charter boats but the one that stands out above the rest is TOM CAT based at Raby Bay.Dave or Jason (whichever one is the skipper on the day) will work their backside off to put you onto some fish.Never a problem taking your own gear.The gear they use is also pretty good.Penn 6/0 reels on custom rods made by Budds Bait and Tackle.Have even spent a bit of time in the cockpit with the guys showing me what they were looking at on the sounder.
The following pics were from our last trip 3weeks back.
Cheers dazza

2DKnBJ
23-09-2005, 08:36 PM
Absolutly S43THOUSE weather

2DKnBJ
23-09-2005, 08:49 PM
Lines down

2DKnBJ
23-09-2005, 08:56 PM
Catch

Just_chips
24-09-2005, 07:52 PM
Different operators have different ideas on how to put clients onto fish, on incredible charters from redcliffe they use either 6500 baitrunners for floatlining, or overheads loaded with braid for bottom bashing depending upon where they are fishing, both are loaded with a line that could be classed as sporting depending on what fish they catch on the day. On the other hand on a charter with spirit of rainbow from rainbow beach the skipper had everyone using broomsticks with alveys and a minimum of 80 pound line and you could well class this as overkill, but his explanation was that he believed that if somebody dropped a good fish then it could spook the whole school.

Just work your way through the different operators untill you find one that you are comfortable fishing with and recommend them to your mates (this is their best advertising)

I would go out with either of these companies again tomorrow as they both worked very hard whether they got results or not. To me this is a true measure of a good charter operator.

Neither of these guys had a prob with people using their own gear and in my opinion nobody running a charter business should have a problem with people using their own gear.

Best of luck

Cheers Kev

first_mate
25-09-2005, 09:18 PM
I agree with Dazza.
Have been out with TomCat 3-4 times and apart from one day spoilt by bad weather and worse seas - my group has had great times. Can't wait for December when we go again.
They are very friendly - make good coffee and salad rolls and put you on top of good fish.
Angus

-spiro-
25-09-2005, 10:00 PM
Most would be ok with you bring your own rod, but they hate BRAID. ;D

fishman7
26-09-2005, 12:01 AM
hi guys
as a charter boat operator i dont mind if poeple bring there own gear.i dont mind if they have braid.i fish with penn rod and penn 8500s spin fishers with 20 lb line i find the hard the fight the more fun the poeple have.i like poeple to have a good time if they dont them they dont come back and they dont tell there friends. i do have bigger gear but thats for the shark.
cheers
danny