PDA

View Full Version : Can whales swim into anchor ropes

RAGINGBULL
25-09-2005, 04:38 PM
Hi all
A funny thing happened out the pin bar
I had been sitting on anchor for about 2 hrs out in 50 metres ( yes with plenty of extra slack )
Suddenly the boat jolted forward and the nose of the boat dived into the water, the water came right over the wind screen and then the anchor rope snapped ??.
Now i happened to be watching the screen of the sounder moments before, and I was about to tell the blocks that there was a big bait ball showing up near the bottom.
If the boat was a tinny i would have been gooooooone.
Has this happened to any-one else before.
We looked for whales and probably 10 minutes later they surfaced 4km inshore from where we where.
What was it Whales or maybe a crazy submarine ;D ;D

Cheers Mark

blaze
25-09-2005, 05:07 PM
I was anchored in about 15m and 2 large whales went under my 4.1m tinnie, 1 in front of the anchor rope and 1 directly under the boat. Bloody scarely but truely amazing as they could have up ended me so easy.
cheers
blaze

fishman7
25-09-2005, 05:15 PM
hi
3 weeks ago a bady whale came for a close look it went under the boat and took out 8 lines. 2days before that another one was going past and came to close and took out the lines again.they go close to look at things and them turn and it get caught on there fins.well you can say you got somethink real big and it almost sunk the boat.
cheers
danny

mackmauler
25-09-2005, 05:19 PM
yeh get em come up for a play now and then, bit of a wildcard in the middle of the nite but better than madman yachties.

skippa
25-09-2005, 05:58 PM
Geez Mark,

lucky you where in a Haines ....... # ;)
Seriously tho, lucky escape, could of ended up in the drink.

Cheers,
Tony # 8-)
PS so that now means there is 2 anchors AND a ss bucket out there # ::)

TheBream
25-09-2005, 06:40 PM
mate i would be going to buy a lotto ticket right now if i was you

we had something like this happen to a boat down here off port macquaire about 18months ago but it took the nose right under and flipped the boat sending all three on board over into the drink
they had no time to grab anything or tell anyone on the radios and could only grab onto thing that floated up for floataion
they spent almost 2 days in the water before being found minus a boat :o

-spiro-
25-09-2005, 06:53 PM
Had quite a few whale go under the boat at shallow tempest at night time and never hit the rope{thank you no who} When they brearth and make there noise at night time it scares the you know what out of you ;D

trout3030
25-09-2005, 07:11 PM
If they cant see a shark net I am guessing they could quite easily swim into an anchor rope.

SeaSaw
25-09-2005, 08:07 PM
I had a whale catch its fin on my anchor rope one day when anchored at Sunshine Reef near Noosa. It made the boat rock quiet a bit, but luckily that was all that happened. It must have just grazed the rope.

Mark

Hoges
25-09-2005, 08:09 PM
yeh get em come up for a play now and then, bit of a wildcard in the middle of the nite but better than madman yachties.

;) Never had a problem since fitting the new foredeck hardware! ;D

RAGINGBULL
25-09-2005, 08:42 PM
Thanks guys

I dont think theres too much you can do except hold thumbs.
You cant put a weak link on.
Be carefull out there.
Mark

Brejen
25-09-2005, 09:10 PM
Skippa hope your not talking about Gawby's bucket that someone lost out that way. ::) And my anchor that GAwby also lost but that was down a fair way south/east of there.

MArk sounds as tho a few stains may have been added to everones attire. Mate how was the fishing. i was on the 36's east of there Monday last week and heaps showing but hard work to boat anything.

Brett

Whiley_Whiting
26-09-2005, 09:48 AM
funny you should ask the question as a few weeks ago this happened to a fisho in Hervey Bay (it made front page news).

Apparently a 'bull' whale was playing around their boat and then went under the boat taking out the anchor rope which caused the boat to be towed forward several metres before one of them cut the anchor rope with a fishing knife that the guy has permanently set up in the anchor section for this reason.

Wear_the_fox_hat
26-09-2005, 12:25 PM
Had one go about 6 foot under my boat as we were dropping the anchor. Talk about putting your heart in your mouth. All you could see was whale & how it missed the rope we'll never know. Mate tried to say something, but all he stammered was "WH-WH-WH". Then the cheeky bugger (whale) breached about 40 metres out the back of the boat. Hell, they're big. Mate must have still had the jitters the next morning as he managed to drop his mobile phone down the dunny, but that's another story.

agnes_jack
26-09-2005, 12:45 PM
Not all that uncommon it seems!! :o
Have heard of it twice off 1770, once was a pro who had anchored for the night in a 16' abalone. Reckoned it picked the line up behind it's fin and started pulling the boat forward, he cut the rope with a knife just in time.

Scary S%$t

Regards, Tony :-/

yockman
26-09-2005, 03:40 PM
That would have been scary, raging bull.

Don't know about ropes but one of the charter boats down here was showing some punters a whale last year, when it swam under the boat and surfaced with the boat on its back. The whole boat was lifted way out of the water, fell off, landed sideways and copped some damage to the leg. The boat was a 28' fibreglass mono! The punters had enough whale spotting for the day and went home!

Then there were the guys who hooked the orca on their deck winch which was carrying 700lb mono. It put up an excellent fight, but for some reason they cut it off.....

Must have been scary, raging bull

Cheers
Yockman

RAGINGBULL
26-09-2005, 06:38 PM
Brett

There were plenty School jew around ( using slimey fillets ) and a charterboat got a nice cobia probably 20-25kg
Seemed our liveys were taken a few times secretly just got the hooks back .

Cheers Mark

skippa
26-09-2005, 06:52 PM
Yes Brett #I am,

Don't know #of any other ss buckets down that way. # ;)

Managed to pick myself up a sea anchor for my b/day on the weekend too. #Starting to get setup for this offshore caper now, just #gotta work out how to use it all. # #:-?

Cheers,
Tony # 8-)
PS not saying anything yet, but just checked seabreeze and I have friday off :)

Brejen
26-09-2005, 07:20 PM
Tony Fridays good mate already looked at it. Talk later

Bret