PDA

View Full Version : A good cause

Sandman
05-08-2005, 05:17 AM
Hi fellow members!! Hoping this doesnt get moved to fast :-X From October 30th til November the 5th we are holding a camp for young carers at The Multiple Sclerosis Holliday house at Runnaway Bay.
Last year was the first for us to do this, I take my boat down for fishing trips and provide a few cruises for these amazing carers.
This year is going to focus on some fishing trips in Broadwater depending on the ages.
If anyone would be generous enough to loan hand reels etc would be much appreciated, participants are welcome but do require to go through very strict screening and must have a blue card. We have a private jetty this is where my boat will be located, Life jackets are supplied allready by Sailability at Runnaway Bay. Advise is allways welcome eg fishing spots etc.
Also included will be a long Bike ride to the hinterlands Ulyisis Club provided this last year.

Regards
Sandman

Sandman
05-08-2005, 05:18 AM
PM me or alternativly michael.howcroft@msqld.org.au

Sandman
05-08-2005, 12:06 PM
Just to add on this as i see its had abit of viewing. These young carers i speak of are not your everyday child as they age between 6 to 13 years of age. They spend there week days at school like most children and in their spare time look after mum and dad, for them to do something like this camp ( not offered else where) is like winning the lotery and meeting others who are in the same boat.
They come from all over Qld , some have never seen the beach or caught a fish or have the time to do so, so if you can help out this would be great.

Regards
Sandman

TonyM
05-08-2005, 12:25 PM
Certainly sounds like a very worthwhile cause Sandman. Good on you for taking the time out to help, I can't imagine the sacrifices the little ones would have to make.

Check your pm's mate ;)

DR
05-08-2005, 01:26 PM
gidday Sandie, sounds like a good cause, do you have enough boats, or do you need extras??
cheers

Bill_Klein
05-08-2005, 04:03 PM
i'd help out dont hve a boat as yet but used to be a boy scout about 25 years ago have all the kn owledge under my belt be happy to help

Cheech
05-08-2005, 04:40 PM
Michael,

how does that blue card thing work, and how it would fit into your week.

Am I allowed to be skipper for the day, or do I need a card. If I need a card, my past is pretty open so will not be a problem. Just kind of boring if anything. Is it inconvenient or just all happens behind the scenes with checks.

I would be very happy, willing and able to take a day off work during your week, come down and help out on the water by taking people out on my boat for cruises. It is an old 18ft glass boat so quite comfortable to travel in. Particularly those new to the water.

Let me know and I will get organised.

Cheech
(Craig Grendon)

Dug
05-08-2005, 07:33 PM
I probably should get a blue card anyway, if I can get one in time I will try to get there.

Sandman
06-08-2005, 06:01 AM
Thanks fellow members the responce has been overwhelmiing :D Yes fortunatly a blue card is required by law
when ever you work with children these days.
In regards to boats i will have mine there and have been offered another so this will help but thank you all again.
If you want to drop in with your boats that would be ok we are not far from the mariner.
Am still happy for offers of handlines, Tony & Tony thanks heaps for your input will contact you both and this will also be done offically from the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Qld aswell Brett i will sort the Blue card out for you mate, there wont be a need for the boat all week just a couple of days.
Just a note to all you generous Aus members, this was funded last year as a one of event, however due to the huge responce and the growing need in supporting these young carers we could not go another year without doing this again.We soley rely on donations as it is no longer funded by government and we are an NGO. The changes this camp makes is remarkable so keep it in mind for next year and all donations are welcome, i am happy to put any advertising on my boat for great offers.
Regards
Sandman

Sandman
06-08-2005, 06:01 AM
Thanks fellow members the responce has been overwhelmiing :D Yes fortunatly a blue card is required by law
when ever you work with children these days.
In regards to boats i will have mine there and have been offered another so this will help but thank you all again.
If you want to drop in with your boats that would be ok we are not far from the mariner.
Am still happy for offers of handlines, Tony & Tony thanks heaps for your input will contact you both and this will also be done offically from the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Qld aswell Brett i will sort the Blue card out for you mate, there wont be a need for the boat all week just a couple of days.
Just a note to all you generous Aus members, this was funded last year as a one of event, however due to the huge responce and the growing need in supporting these young carers we could not go another year without doing this again.We soley rely on donations as it is no longer funded by government and we are an NGO. The changes this camp makes is remarkable so keep it in mind for next year and all donations are welcome, i am happy to put any advertising on my boat for great offers.
Regards
Sandman

gogecko
06-08-2005, 08:59 AM
Great cause, and I hope it all goes well for the kids.

Just a note to all those thinking of getting a blue card. They take many months to process. My wife got one, and it took 4-5 months. They need to do a police check in all states, so dont expect to get one quickly.

Still, for those with the desire to work with kids, its worth doing. A few of my mates at Hollywell sailing club have helped out with Sailabilty and found it very rewarding.

Bosunsmate
07-08-2005, 06:29 AM
Good luck and hope everything goes well for the camp, pity its not closer to me would be more than happy to help out......

Same comment in regards to the "Blue Card". They take quite a while to process..worth their weight in gold once you have them but they can take time.....

fishingnottake
07-08-2005, 01:15 PM
i've got plenty of handlines and a few light rods you can have a lend of, well you can keep the handlines,i;d be more than happy help out with the kids as a supervisor, i fish the seaway off the shore at least once a wee, k but how do you actually get a blue card? by the sounds of things i probably wouldnt be able to get one in time, but if there is anyway i can help be sure to let me know.
ash

agnes_jack
08-08-2005, 06:18 AM
Sandman
Have you got a rough count of how many kids we are talking about??

Regards, Tony

Sandman
09-08-2005, 03:57 AM
Tony,
Still thanking you for your support!! We estimate around 14 in all we have to keep them down due to the accomodation we have as well staffing needs to be around the clock basically.
Just to add about the blue card, gogecko you are correct it takes months to obtain the blue card i will add the short cut www.childcomm.qld.gov this will give you an idea. Unfortunatly with all the offered hands on help i can only ask those with a blue card and will have to give further info offline.
Tony the ages are from 6 to 13 yrs if that helps.

Regards
Sandman

Sandman
09-08-2005, 04:02 AM
Tony,
Still thanking you for your support!! We estimate around 14 in all we have to keep them down due to the accomodation we have as well staffing needs to be around the clock basically.
Just to add about the blue card, gogecko you are correct it takes months to obtain the blue card i will add the short cut www.childcomm.qld.gov this will give you an idea. Unfortunatly with all the offered hands on help i can only ask those with a blue card and will have to give further info offline.
Tony the ages are from 6 to 13 yrs if that helps.

Regards
Sandman

agnes_jack
09-08-2005, 06:39 AM
Thanks Sandman
I will send enough handlines for them all, and a few goodies for either prizes or to be given away at your discretion. Will post them off towards the end of the week.

Regards, Tony

sandyd
13-08-2005, 02:45 PM
Hi

I have a suggestion, what if Ausfish approached a tackle shop and put together a kit with a small cap, sunscreen and a handline, which could be posted in the Ausfish shop. Then interested people could puchase them on behalf of the children.

I would be prepared to organise the packs with a tackle shop although someone else may know a tackle shop owner and be able to get a good deal. It would be good if all the orders could be collated by Ausfish and presented to the tackle shop all at once.

Sandra

Burley_Boy
15-08-2005, 06:26 AM
I think there is a helpful tackle shop owner somewhere like 1770/Agnes Waters, just can't think of the name at the moment. ;D

Sandman
16-08-2005, 05:11 AM
Sandra a great suggestion! :) Maybe we can organise this for next year if Ausfish is happy to do this, i will be personally presenting Ausfish with a thankyou on behalf of the Society for there efforts in keeping this post on.
In regards to sunscreen and hats etc, the sun cancer foundation has given us assistance in the past with this so i hope they can assist this time, i am yet to give them a call.
The fishing gear et responce has been fantastic and i can not thank everyone enough.
And yes Angnes Jack has donated some prizes Burley boy .
Regards
Michael

Fishin_Dan
16-08-2005, 12:38 PM
Well done to everyone that is helping out with this! Good on you all!!! I did a few camps for kids with cancer when I was younger (Through Rovers - Part of scouting), and it was awesome!

Although my other half has just gotten a blue card, and she got it in a few weeks... She does work with the Pyjama Foundation (And Lifeline) and it came through pretty quickly...

dasher
17-08-2005, 05:24 PM
Just a thought. how hard would it be to have an on line raffle. ??? ???

Sandman
18-08-2005, 08:20 AM
Dasher its a good idea , due to the response i am not sure if i will need to do it for this camp , however i think next year i will try and get things like this in early .
Sandman

Sandman
23-08-2005, 10:16 AM
A big thanks to all members for your donations :o This has been fantastic , with all donations that have been recieved and are still comming from all around.
I am starting to post out letters etc to all when they come in. I think as far as Tackle goes there should be heaps and a good variation of fishing to be done.

As this responce was so great i will take up the suggestion of Ausfish pacs for the next one, great idea to who ever suggested it.

If anyone can also offer a few points around the broadwater would be appreciated , the thought of going out side did cross my mind however due to the age we will stick inside , i might shoot out afterwards.

Regards
Michael

Mad_fisherman
23-08-2005, 11:22 AM
Hey Sandman,
Just a few more idea's for you for next year. I used to do quite a bit of youth work on the gold coast a few years back. We approached Companies like Coke, local bakery’s, butchers and the local Milk Company (can’t remember their name sorry) etc they all were more then willing to donate foodstuffs etc. We had about 60 kids on a youth camp and coke donated a pallet of mixed SOFT drinks. Also the bakeries donated fresh bread donuts etc. The butcher gave a really really good deal on meat and the all the dairy was provided. Made the trip a whole lot cheaper and also provided the kids with some special things also Coke donated prizes for games etc the children played. Just an idea for you for the future.

Also I am not to sure but maybe the local attractions might be able to look after you too. Ie ten pin bowling, (Labrador) Skating (Southport) Cable Ski (if it is still open) (we used to get really good group deals on things like that). The old grand hotel used to do really cheap meals for groups (Not sure if the new one does) maybe a night out for the kiddies. Also your cause is one that affects quite a lot of people and I reckon you will find most places will respond well.

Hope this helps a little

Cheers

Mad!

Sandman
23-08-2005, 01:02 PM
Mad!

Thanks Mad!

I am limited to those contacts as we have a marketing dept so its out of my control, but if i had the role of fund raising i would give it a good boot. As we are an not for profit organisation and have anual events companies such as the ones mentioned sponser the MSSQ.
Events like these are not recognised at all >:( hopefully this may improve .

As Case manager i have learnt to be very creative when it comes to squeezing money out of government ::) but this is totaly a different ball game and have been a little surprised at the responce we got from a few of those local attractions :-?

My orginal post requested some donations for fishing , then :o the good will went on great stuff in my eyes and for those children.

Who did you work for ?

Regards
Sandman

Mad_fisherman
23-08-2005, 01:39 PM
Sandman,
Mate i just Im'ed you a pretty extensive im lol hope it helps some what.

Cheers

Mad.

agnes_jack
26-08-2005, 12:49 PM
Sandman
We just recieved that package in the mail.
Mate, thats fantastic. We will hang it on the wall wherever we end up..Proudly!!
But it's you guy's who really deserve the pat on the back.
No need to thank us, we thank you guy's at the M.S. society for what you do that none of us even think about doing.

Lots of thanks to you all......Sandi & Tony

Sandman
26-08-2005, 02:40 PM
Thanks tony as i said a small token and all will be appreciated.
Regards
Michael

Sandman
21-09-2005, 12:15 PM
To those who have taken interested and have donated towards the childrens camp!!!!

As of today we had notification that the camp will be postponed due to unforseen circumstances this being the resignation of staff.

The camp will be going ahead but dates are unclear as we require specific skills from OT's , Councilors etc.

If you want further information about the camp email me - michael.howcroft@msqld.org.au or phone me on (07) 3840 0834 or 0407 573 482.
I will try and contact all who have personally donated time or equipment about this.

Regards Michael

Sandman
28-09-2005, 07:59 AM
Ok the new dates for the Kids camp is 16th- 23rd of September 2006 !! Those wanting to join in will need to have a Blue card unless you are employed by the MS Society , if you do want to participate and dont have a blue card PM and let me know.
Cheers Mick