PDA

View Full Version : Ken Brown retires

Jew_Chaser
24-09-2005, 03:18 PM
Ken Brown (Brownie's Coastwatch) announced on 4KQ today that he was retiring from Tv for personal reasons.
17 years is long enough he said.
It's expected he'll anounce his retirement on 7 tonight.

Jeff

saphire
24-09-2005, 04:09 PM
Will have to make sure that I watch it.
He has been a journo for a long time. I remember him before he started the fishing reports.

bidkev
24-09-2005, 04:30 PM
Never realised until recently that he also used to act.

I spoke to him once and he seemed to be "full on" for kids when I mentioned my family and fishing. It took me all my time to hang up on him :-) he was *so* helpful and told me all the names of the local guys who could pull whiting out of a puddle over my way. Told me all about Alveys and light tackle and seemed really keen to educate someone who was pretty much alien to Aussie fishing.

The kids had seen an eagle jumping up and down at Currimundi lake just as nght was falling. We thought it was tangled in line so we devised a plan to rescue it. When we got to within a couple of metres of the eagle, I was to throw a towel over it and then try to release it from the line, but unfortunately, and this is true :D :D One of the kids farted and the others all fell about laughing ;D ;D Anyway the eagle then flew off and we realised that it wasn't tangled but just couldn't lift the biggest bloody whiting we had ever seen! We kept this whiting and someone from Coast Watch came to photograph it but it never went to air. I think because they were foster kids and you couldn't publicise their pictures. Brownie was really taken with the story.

cheers

kev

Darryl
24-09-2005, 06:42 PM
Brownie has been hit pretty hard with shingles and his health has been smashed by it.

I first met him at kooringal at the legendary stiggy mansons house , brownie stored his v-dub there.

Top bloke, devoted to the safety of people like us.

luigi
24-09-2005, 07:16 PM
Ken Brown is one of the best blokes I have come across. He is a great supporter of rec fishing & the fishing industry in general.

I hope his health improves & we see him on the box once more - hopefully more sooner than later.

If you happen to read this thread Ken, I wish you all the very best old mate!

westie
24-09-2005, 08:27 PM
i know a TV fishing show that has just finished its season. :'( Maybe Brownie could take over from Rob top..a ..vax.. a.. rarm..off. ::) ;D

or Pain in the butt Rob for short

Seahorse
25-09-2005, 12:10 PM
never like to see a bloke suffer with illness and i do wish brownie a speedy recovery. but we can only hope that the stations whether it be tv or radio can get someone who actually does get out there and gives good local reports. tv is screaming out for a full on local show. brownie mostly said its all in tomorrows fishing reports. i allways said good on ya, but the time the papers come out iam on the water. he may have been a nice guy but pretty hopless with reports. thats my opinion anyway.

Duyz72
25-09-2005, 01:32 PM
Hmmmmmmm I wonder if they need someone like myself to take over his job, and of course the fully loaded company boat!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jew_Chaser
25-09-2005, 03:04 PM
I haven't seen Fisheries or Water Police for months but have run into Nugget with camera 3 out of 5 trip.
Nuggets coastwatch sound good.

Jeff

redspeckle
25-09-2005, 07:09 PM
The man is suffering a illness so don't kick him while he down and out
and wouldn't wish what he's got on my worst enemy

At least come up with few good ideas like Beacon to Beacon and show like Coastwatch then Creek to Coast he got shafted their and talk about phippsy shafted him too
I felt the same way with his reports I get frustrated with his reports in the past but at least get report on TV thursday night give you an idea what weekend like ( when i didn't have a [smiley=computer.gif])
Mitch
SO C'MON THE COWBOYS! WE ARE IN THE GRAND FINAL
[smiley=laola.gif]

fisho
25-09-2005, 08:08 PM
Best wishes Brownie ;)

bidkev
25-09-2005, 08:24 PM
Doesn't matter really waht anyone thinks of him, the fact of the matter is he was deeply wounded and that was bound to play on his health. he refused to do sponsorship deals or push products on his prog which led to his demise..............from the horse's mouth.

cheers

kev

first_mate
25-09-2005, 09:11 PM
I have never met Brownie personally but have to say he has saved me from harm on many occasions. That Beacon to Beacon is a lifesaver around the Pin etc and has got me to some interesting places and out of potential harm. Lots of shallow water around the Pin!!
I wish him all the best
Angus
[smiley=bigcry.gif]

S.S.
26-09-2005, 09:52 AM
I don't think this is an appropriate place to knock people and quite frankly, those posts should be deleted.
We should be grateful to get any sort of fishing related topics on the box. Hey, we're not going to like everyone but it's better than having no programmes at all.
:)

stubbie
26-09-2005, 05:43 PM
Good luck and best wishes Brownie [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

stu68
26-09-2005, 07:29 PM
Good luck Brownie
Anyone who is a mate of Gilly must be a good bloke.
This is not the time or place to bag people out very sad and gutless

imported_admin
26-09-2005, 11:38 PM
I don't think this is an appropriate place to knock people and quite frankly, those posts should be deleted.
We should be grateful to get any sort of fishing related topics on the box. Hey, we're not going to like everyone but it's better than having no programmes at all.

Well said, and those posts have been deleted.

If you can not say something nice about someone then please don't bother saying anything at all.

luigi
27-09-2005, 12:10 AM
We should be grateful to get any sort of fishing related topics on the box. #Hey, we're not going to like everyone but it's better than having no programmes at all.

Well said S.S

raefpud
27-09-2005, 12:33 AM
Sorry Ausfish, sorry mr. Brown, I shoulda listened to my mum, hope u get better soon

stubbie
27-09-2005, 06:18 PM
Thats Mr.Ausfish raefpud!!!! ;)

fishin_till_late
27-09-2005, 09:53 PM
My uncle got me n my dad a signed copy of the beacon to beacon book. Great book. Good luck Brownie hope everything turns out for the best for ya

Al_Macka
29-09-2005, 12:43 AM
MUCH APPRECATION KEN 4 YOUR CONTRIBUTION ............
YOUR ARTICLES & REPORTS WERE VERY IMFORMITIVE
CHEERS.................
LENNOX.... CREW.......... [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]