PDA

View Full Version : Moreton information.

Darryl
29-09-2005, 06:30 AM
Hi fella's , i am new to the board am pretty envious about the fish that you catch.

I'm 36 and have a tribe of kids so when i get the boat to myself i only really fish peel and surrounds. Not much luck around peel however i did get a chance in a rather large boat "45" i think to fish curtain a few years back.

Now that i have my new boat , which is a 18'6 carribean crestcutter , i want to plan a trip to Moreton .Any usefull information would be appreciated as in what weather is ideal , what tide, when to run and hide, best boat ramp etc.

I am pretty much on the ball when it comes to the safety side of boating and have crossed the Southport bar many of times and been out to the 36's with no problem thus far.

There is something about the "unknown" that i never take for granted and i understand that The Bay can get wild and wolley at times.

I dont want gps marks of you fella's , just a bit of local knowledge would be great because nine times out of ten i have my 8 yr old son on board #, bugger me, but i would hate for anything to happen to him because of my incompetence.

Ps. Great board and very informative , has helped me with quite a lot already.

Kudo's to Ausfish.

Rusty_Hook
29-09-2005, 08:52 AM
Hi Crestcutter, where are you leaving from?

Darryl
29-09-2005, 05:35 PM
Rusty i live at Pine Mountain which is the other side of Ipswich mate. I will use whatever ramp that you guys recommend.

Scott15
29-09-2005, 06:11 PM
Scarbrough or Bribe would be the closest ramps. If your goin up towards the northern end of the bay you might want to look out for the sand banks, other than that pick your weather and you should be fine, have fun

Scott

Darryl
29-09-2005, 06:38 PM
Thanxs scott, what are the ideal weather conditions ? I think i read in another thread that forget it if the wind is more than 15 knots and waves are higher than 1.5?

Thanxs again.

chanquetas
29-09-2005, 06:38 PM
I know that cat....Ive seen it on Audiocircle forum!

Darryl
29-09-2005, 07:06 PM
The cat is stolen, i think i stole it from funny pictures.com or something like that.

Some people have way to much time on there hands to be able to make a helmut out of a lime for a cat. :D

Dodge41
29-09-2005, 10:24 PM
Crestcutter

Used to access the southern bay in 18' half cab, and later 22' bay cruiser (5.5kts) and by listening to the forecast and not being a hero we had plenty of safe trips, always listen to the weather updates, and of course keep an eye on the sky and you'll be OK, I also think initially 15knots is a good ceiling to work on till you know the bay, paticularly with the youngster on board.

All the best Richo

Darryl
30-09-2005, 05:18 AM
Dodge thanx very much for your advice, and i will adhere to it mate.