PDA

View Full Version : buggered beacon

longtail
25-09-2005, 04:12 PM
boaties beware - spotted this at the mouth of the brisbane river this morning , who's responsible for fixing these?

jason

bungie
25-09-2005, 07:19 PM
been like that for over a month now :o

Outsider
25-09-2005, 07:39 PM
I bet the bugger didn't leave a note.... ;D

stark
25-09-2005, 08:33 PM
Seen a few with a tilt. The north cardinal at Raby bay has a list. Think it happened in the big blow last week. I expect it is costly to get these marks vertical again, so don't expect to see any progress until the next election.

Cheers
John

webby
25-09-2005, 08:42 PM
Yep been like that for a few weeks now, i'd say they wont replace it till their finished stuffing around and dredging and then there will most likely be some relocations of beacons around the mouth, so access can be made to some of the new wharfs.
regards

straddie
25-09-2005, 09:26 PM
I wouldn't be worrying about fixing it till after about October 14 or so. There is a monster floating island on its way that might just finish the job with a bit of luck. ;D

-spiro-
25-09-2005, 09:55 PM
??????

I wouldn't be worrying about fixing it till after about October 14 or so. There is a monster floating island on its way that might just finish the job with a bit of luck. #;D

straddie
26-09-2005, 09:39 AM
:-X

longtail
26-09-2005, 05:54 PM
hadn't been out that way for a few months...
glad i saw it during the day and not at night :o

jason

Cheech
26-09-2005, 06:31 PM
Is ok at night because I am pretty sure it had a red light on it when we came back from Mud a couple of weeks ago.

What we really need fixing are the 3 unlit cardinals around Mud. A couple of them have been out for over a year.

Webby, is there anyone we can ring to get them fixed? I have them in my gps so I am safe, but this was only after I nearly ran into the rock wall lagoon cutting the corner aiming for the next cardinal around.

Cheech

adrian
26-09-2005, 07:18 PM
beacon what beacon :o :o

webby
26-09-2005, 07:26 PM
Being the Capt of Cheech Charters, you should no better about cutting corners :) or was Chong navigating ;D
But on a more serious note Craig i've been onto the Dept of tranport a few times re those cardinals and nothings been done, i also asked why the trial pearl lease in the n/west shallows hasn't had some or warning lights around them, and they stated the red buoys was sufficient and were illuminous at night when a light was shone on them.
I said not everyone runs around at night with spotlights, but it fell on deaf ears.
If a few more complained they might take notice.
regards

noluck
28-09-2005, 12:13 AM
whan thay going to fix this buggered beacons

webby do u know number we can ring and complained

stingermuz
28-09-2005, 06:55 AM
Straddie, we're not having a visit from a CVN are we? Or even the last CV?

straddie
28-09-2005, 07:45 AM
Heya Stingermuz

If I knew that I probably wouldn't be allowed to tell you anyways if I wanted to keep all my finger and toe nails.

But something over 1000ft long with a displacement not far short of a 100 000 ton is pretty hard to hide, so I am sure if one was coming to Brisbane the media would make it known a day or so before it arrived.

MIKOS
28-09-2005, 10:53 AM
Hi Cheech

Id becontacting the department of harbours and marine (navigation aids)
located at pinkenba.I did work for the for 12 months on the water picking up and changing over flashing beacons.They would like to know about this,but i cant understand why the dont already know especially after 12 months :o.The guys are more than helpful. ;)

MIKOS

25_ponies
29-09-2005, 10:22 PM
If I knew that I probably wouldn't be allowed to tell you anyways if I wanted to keep all my finger and toe nails.

But something over 1000ft long with a displacement not far short of a 100 000 ton is pretty hard to hide, so I am sure if one was coming to Brisbane the media would make it known a day or so before it arrived.

Straddie, all your secrecy has been undone by some horny sailors:

http://www.brisbane-australia.com/103573.php?V=v&msg=99999877

Steven78
29-09-2005, 10:45 PM
The Brisbane river Beacan has been like that for about 2 or more months now.
They have to order and bulid a new one first before its installed.
The funny thing is that would a set of traffic lights be faulty for this long? It will get fix once there is a close call with a tanker.... The chance of this is about 0.00001 % so nothing will happen.

Cruiser
30-09-2005, 08:03 AM
On Wednesday this week (28/9) I saw a Department of Transport boat carrying large port and starboard bouys (one of each) heading out of Manly Harbour. Don't know where they ended up but it looks like they are doing some maintenance (hopefully).

Weird thing was that these bouys had fresh looking marine growth on their bottoms so they weren't new or refurbished. Perhaps they'd just been in visiting the club for a drink - I mean lunch!

Chris.

straddie
30-09-2005, 10:31 AM
"Straddie, all your secrecy has been undone by some horny sailors: "

Damn I've been aced ::) bloody yanks never could keep their mouths shut or flies zipped..... so I have heard anyways ;D

In that case .....already posted this one on the test board but if anyone wanted a better look at the big sucker till she gets here, here's CVN 68 better known as the nuclear powered aircraft carrier USS Nimitz putting in its best effort to do a doughnut at sea.

Not something you would want to do with a deck full of jets and choppers unless you are wanting to build your own very expensive artificial reef, so don't try this one at home folkes

http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/uploads/cvn68.jpg

I figure with driving like you see there might be a few more beacons looking like that one before it leaves ;D , but little Johnys good mate George W will probably pick up the tab for any damages incurred.

Just don't expect to get too close to her when she gets here, can you say, 'BIIIIIIIG exclusion zone'. Probably best for everyones safety cause the big mother is going to have lots of nasty pointy things facing outboard, and this is what they had sitting on one of their little subs that came in here recently.