PDA

View Full Version : 200m from pro's

-spiro-
25-09-2005, 10:11 AM
A fellow Ausfisher had abit of a run in with a pro yesturday. There is a rule that you must fish 200m meters away from a pro. Has anyone heard this rule before? If you had the vhf on yesturday on 21 you would of heard this pro swearring and carring on{this is not acceptible on the radio} 8-)

fishman7
25-09-2005, 10:16 AM
hi
i have never heard off this i was a ex pro. he seen like a ######. as for the swearing theres a big fine for that but he gut he boat rego.
danny

mackmauler
25-09-2005, 10:28 AM
who was the ausfisher ;D

Kiktz
25-09-2005, 01:11 PM
I have heard about this with Charter Boats, Thought it was the same for pro's
As I have heard and not knowing the rules 100%,
If you are fishing and a Charter/Pro comes over to your spot you are ok.
But i dont think you can go to there spot.

Its only what I have heard

AJ

krazyfisher
25-09-2005, 02:10 PM
i have heard of it but never had to worry about it

westie
25-09-2005, 03:20 PM
I was at the Caloundra 9 Mile fishing amoung other boats and a Charter Fishing Boat came within casting distance slowed down to around 6 knots, I am sure he was looking at what we all were sitting on. There is not a problem with him coming that close but if he had of dropped the pick I would have had reason to say something, I do belive there is a distance for when Trawlers are opperating but Fishing Charters ?????

I will make the effort to ring the authorities Monday morning to find out.

DALEPRICE
25-09-2005, 04:14 PM
did the ausfisher get the position for
future investigation???? ;D

Brett_Hoskin
25-09-2005, 05:05 PM
It it a Queensland Transport rule or a DPI rule?

fishman7
25-09-2005, 05:07 PM
hi
as a charter boat skipper i dont have a problem with anyone coming close to me as far as i know theys no distance. with trawler because they have there nets down it hard for them to turn.
danny

fishman7
25-09-2005, 05:26 PM
hi
i just look in my small ship manual .all power driven vessel under way shall keep out of the way of
1 a vessel not under command
2 a vessel restricted in its ability to manoeuvre
3 engaged in fishing
4 sailing vessel
and if day time they should have day shapes up and if night they should have they right light on. hope this help
danny

620sf
25-09-2005, 06:38 PM
Never heard of that rule before but incounted something similar on Friday. The pro did'nt go on that bad but made it quiet clear that was his bit of water. We where at all times a good 150m+ away but he still gave us the signs as they do. We still did 2 drifts pass him, mark his spot and threw back 5 snapper making sure they saw us each time throwing them back. Each to there own.

Luke

-spiro-
25-09-2005, 06:59 PM
Good stuff Luke. If he did it to me i would showed him how hairy my arse really is. We are all trying to get a feed so whats the need to be verbal abusive?

mackmauler
25-09-2005, 07:02 PM
spiro,

who ;D

-spiro-
25-09-2005, 07:04 PM
i will let him put his own name down. I saw the whole thing from a distance hey Pete ;D

caloundra
25-09-2005, 07:12 PM
I've had pro's pull up a stones throw away from me and drop anchor
does it work both ways ::)

Jimmyd
25-09-2005, 07:39 PM
>:( >:( >:(

Prior to reading this thread I thought bad manners and unprofessional behaviour was restricted to the so called Fishing Guides that operate on the Daly and Alligator rivers of the NT.

I can understand the Guides trying to make a living by getting their paying clients a barra or two, however I would have probably spent 100 times more than their clients in purchasing a boat, fishing rods and all the other gear and have every right to catch a fish as well without the grief from those guys.

Supposedly these people are given licences to fish because they are professionals, in some cases I would suggest professionals my arse, they are a disgrace and are actually harming the billion dollar fishing tourism industry of the NT and elsewhere.

stark
25-09-2005, 08:11 PM
If he had his gear shot (nets out) then can understand his concern. If not, must have had a very bad hair day & should be reported to M.S..

Did you see any day shape? He is required to show a day shape or at night, red over white or green over white lights depending on if engaged in trawling or fishing.

Reagrds
John

jeffo
26-09-2005, 06:46 AM
i heard it on the radio ;D amusing to say the least. if he had a burley trail out then i can see why he got so cranky... i do the same myself (just not on the radio). hate having noise when there is snapper on the chew.

chanquetas
26-09-2005, 07:41 AM
Sounds like the pro was full of it. One must always conform to the International Collision Regulations, in which they make a point of NOT mentioning distance anywhere, otherwise the legal battles would be never ending.

So yes, you must not impede a vessel engaged in fishing, but 200m is fictional. And if you are anchored then they can kiss your backside.

Its also illegal to swear on VHF.

chanquetas
26-09-2005, 07:46 AM
However! If the Ausfisher was on a PWC (Jetski) then the Pro may have had a case....

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/qt/msq.nsf/index/pwc_requirements
"PWC are restricted to six knots within 60 metres of people in the water, the shore, the perimeter of bathing reserves, anchored vessels, structures, boat ramps, jetties and pontoons."

outsiderskip
26-09-2005, 11:50 AM
hi fellas
iwas the ausfisher who had a runin with the pro
we were steaming in a notice fish on sounder
zapped gps marks and started fishing
then the pro told me to f.....k off and said he had
a 200 mt exclussion zone he got agro so i left
i will check up on the ruling

cheers pete

bigmack
26-09-2005, 12:44 PM
Hi All - just to let you know that we watch the mackerel pro's very closley and move right in with them when the fish are on. (Mooloolaba) We do much as they do and try to conform to the type of trolling & pattern they are working etc. Never had a problem with any of them. not even a glare or dirty look. They are good though and I even have a peek with the binocs to see what they are up to - sneaky little tricks - they still catch more fish than us.

If I was anchored and burleying and made an attempt to be quiet to catch quality fish then I would be pissed too and have been at the idiots who have come in close to us on one of the close reefs - stooging around and around looking for the "right" mark.

I have also been in a charter boat at Square Patch and this young charter skipper backed a 42 ft Harris Craft right down between the amateurs already anchored - it was extremely rude and I expected a sinker war to start.

Recently did the boatsafe course and nothing about a 200m distance limit from a pro - just keep well clear. I wouldnt go close if they were trawling nets etc.

Cheers

Billo
26-09-2005, 02:28 PM
Geez , he really must have been into em !
I think i would have been saying g'day to him with my sinker box :-X
Never heard of a 200 m rule :-/

fishingnottake
27-09-2005, 09:57 AM
did you get his boat name/number? looking at westies post you could actually do something with the information.

magicpudding
27-09-2005, 01:09 PM
I too heard it on the radio, though couldn't work out what the person was on about! If you did get his numbers, they should be reported, at least for his effort on the radio!

CJ

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
28-09-2005, 12:12 PM
Hello,
There are certain rules that pertain to commercial fishing operations. My understanding is that there is a rule that applies to an 'exclusion zone' in reference to a commercial fisher engaged in fishing operations. Individual interpretation of these rules can cause problems as with many rules, there are what we call, "Grey Areas"! A commercial fisher derives his/her living from the sea and from the fresh product that is available. Fish for example are touchy critters and can be easily spooked. Some instances, commercial fishers watch schools of fish before they either shoot(net) or line catch them. Fishing commercially and professionally is an art form, and at times to maximise catch rates, timing and especially noise reduction is critical. Due to the fact that many Australian's utilise these same natural resources, and also backed by the fact that knowledge on fish and fishing methods, and also reasons for fishing and boating are quite different among individuals, it is quite visible that unfavourable incidents can and do occur. There is a conflict of interest. Quite simply, we have many fisherman(general term) that look at fishing from 'different perspectives'! Commercial fishing is a dying and extremely difficult business in 2005 with so many new hurdles that face commercial fishers. The exclusion rule is included in the fisheries regulations act (big book) that refines certain acts that any boating person or individual cannot do in relation to certain commercial fishing operations. Every incident is usually surrounded by a different set of scenarios and governing factors, and unbeknowns to other boaties, their own actions may impeed a fishing operation. So if a commercial bloke yells and screams(using appropriate language), it is most likely for a legitimate reason. Its unfortunate, but it does happen!
I don't think the same applies to charter boats!
Check with the fisheries act, i just rang them, unfortunately no answer!
Talking from past experience,
Johnny M

Brooksy
28-09-2005, 09:13 PM
Pro Fisherman do not have any exclusion areas but you are not allowed to interfere with any gear they have in the water. So basically he has no right to do what he did. If it happens again record his numbers then give everyone on the VHF a good set of GPS marks ;D ;D ;D

-spiro-
29-09-2005, 10:09 AM
Brooksy
lol ;D
that would get there goat right up ;D
might have to watch that you don't get a 12 gauge pointed your way :o

Mad_fisherman
29-09-2005, 03:20 PM
Hmmmm not a bad thread see this is why would should not of voted out guns from the Australian public.

As for the swearing it is illegal on all forms of radio, but I am yet to see some one pinged for it! Just tell them to neck up and ignore them, if they become violent pull out you mallet for those unsavoury fish and well sort it out!

Who has ever had first hand knowledge of these types getting find for acts like this?

I personally have never heard of it!

Cheers

MAD!

Rainbowrunner
29-09-2005, 04:09 PM
I remember at college there was something about the rights of a pro fisherman.
they can ask you to leave an area if they want to fish it whether nets or trawl or whatever.
Is a charter a pro?

The_Tub
29-09-2005, 04:19 PM
Hey fellas!

I never have heard of any rule of fishing distances with the pro's the only pro that has ever came up to me was a shark fisherman,and a nice bloke.{not to say they all are} all he was concerned about was casting mono between his two floats because the mono cuts the nylon, but he was more than happy for us to get into the mahi that where hanging around his markers

Also some pro's came within casting distance of us at Evans,they sat back and saw us bag out,then moved on.It just goes to show you have to be on the spot or you miss out.

fishman7
30-09-2005, 08:07 AM
hi rainbowrunner
charter boats are not pro they have the same rules as rec.not all pro are idiots but there always one in the bunch.i have seen some rec be like that to.

danny

Duyz72
30-09-2005, 02:02 PM
You should see what happens when two trawlers get in to a 'situation', especially when it is out wide where no one can hear you scream!

fishman7
30-09-2005, 04:39 PM
hi
i been out there and shots have been let loose. knife fight on the whaft boats hitting each other but that was 20 yrs ago.
danny