PDA

View Full Version : Safety Check No 1

westie
02-10-2005, 11:46 AM
Just a reminder to all how often do you check to see if you Bilge pump is in working order.
I do mine every couple of trips. When I wash the boat I will leave the bungs in and pump it out leaving the hose on for a minute or so, It is a good practice to get into. They just sit down under the floor and when you need it, if not run for some time may fail you, same with switches on the dash once evey 12 months unscrew the panel and remove the termanals ( 1 at a time ) and spay or even a smear of grease and replace then to stop moisture build up Batteries do the same check on your safty gear and Torch conections on you Sounder, GPS Etc. these can be done a special day to remind you like Easter, Birthday,Australia Day, When Reg is Due any of them pick 1 or 2 of them.
1 at the start of the year and one at the end or more is you want.

There is so much the least NON machanical person ::) can do as a normal safety check and then there is the motor.

I have called this Safety Check No 1 if you like to start a No2 Etc. I am sure we all will learn something from it so long as it is related to Fishing Tackle or Boat Maitance

Possible topics ::)

Trailer Lights & wiring
Rod&Reels
Cleaning Tips
Ropes & Splices
Rollers & Whinches
Restoring faded trim
Repairing your chipped Esky or Hull
Canopy Repairs

If this goes well Ausfish may give up a Maintain Your Boat Thread ????
I have already asked for a FUNNIES thread with no reply yet!!!

gif
02-10-2005, 11:53 AM
Or we could have a remider post put up here - say 4 times a year?

Nice idea

Or maybe a drive through checkup - donations to VMR

Maybe I coudl get BIAS to sponsor it?

... has anything like this been done before?

G

westie
02-10-2005, 05:49 PM
;D ;D ;D

chanquetas
02-10-2005, 06:52 PM
Good to see someone thinking Westie. A little maintenance goes a long way!
Cheers,
Jake

westie
03-10-2005, 04:54 PM
Well i thought it was a good idea at the time 8-)

I thought someone would have some good ideas to pass on to others as this is all part of fishing. Differance is we do it on Rainy & Windy days in the shed / yard but it looks like I am the only one that does. YOU can not afford my rates so don't go there!!!!!!

I was at Mooloolaba ramp today and some of the trailers there leave a lot to be desired, rollers hanging off, lights missing, Number Plates rusted and unreadable gaurds ready to fall off one trailer was hanging down touching the ground on 1 side. How they get away with it and not noticed by Police amazes me. We all have a DUTY OF CARE. But it seem that

If it Ain't broke why fix it. :o

If it is then I just buy a new one.

Hope your VMR Subs are paid up!!! :'(

blaze
03-10-2005, 08:18 PM
Another one that gets forgot all the time is the fire extinisher, not good enough to only check the expirery date but also needs to be inverted and shaken every couple of trips as the powder compacts down with the constant jarring and when you go to use it, it wont work.
cheers
blaze

westie
03-10-2005, 08:30 PM
Great someone with an Hint, Thank blaze..... :)

Now that is what this is all about, it is the MINOR things that just get forgotten and when you need it..... then it becomes a MAJOR problem.