PDA

View Full Version : PRAWNS IN SPRING/SUMMER

rando
02-10-2005, 11:52 AM
I was talking to a Trwlerman who came into my office last week and he told me the prawns are coming on in the bay and will only increase right through till Christmas.
Are these the prawns that have run out to sea during the march- july run we experience in the estuaries ,or ,is there a similiar run that occurs in the rivers and creeks about now?
If they are prawns that left the estuaries earlier this year are they targetted out in the bay by any of you, and if so how do you find them.?
Just Curious
Rando

rando
02-10-2005, 04:13 PM
I just remembered another piece of info he gave me.
The prawns are buried deep in the mud , and the trawlers drag a chain through the mud in front of their net to stir the prawns up.
So I guess you cant find them with a sounder!!,, ?

-spiro-
02-10-2005, 05:03 PM
and they reck any structure there to >:(

rando
02-10-2005, 05:12 PM
Yeah , and what about turbidity??30-40 trawlers ploghing the paddock mile after mile every night.

westie
02-10-2005, 06:06 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh Ahhhhhh do I sence hostilaty boys, clam down take a breath and be nice ;) count 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 now that is better

rando
02-10-2005, 09:50 PM
thanks Westie
Im calmer now, or was that the 3 scotches?, no matter ,calm is as calm does! ;D
Im still curious about these summer prawns ,where they come from and how to get at them. Is it woth a chuck with the net or not?
cheers
rando

rando
03-10-2005, 08:36 PM
It seems I have finally stumped the ausfish brains trust, no -one knows!!!
ooorr do they and wont say???

webby
03-10-2005, 09:00 PM
You'll need some serious lead on your cast net, if you want to drag it around the bay.
The mouth of the river which is usually attacked by the Yellow Raincoat Brigades or some of the southern bay creeks is your best option.
regards

rando
03-10-2005, 11:01 PM
Thanks Brian I'll try a few of my spots and see what comes up

outsiderskip
04-10-2005, 04:36 PM
hi i used to have a trawler
u cant spot bays on the sounder
lot goes by knowledgeu can ru a
bait net near boat passage on sand around
jan' feb at night winter prawns can be found
on sounders because they travel above bottom

cheers pete

Darryl
04-10-2005, 07:26 PM
The best advice i can give you is throw the net at any little run off creeks around russell island , especially down the Canipa side.

But yer, the yellow rain coats normally hammer them from horizon shores to the pin , and out the Bay as well.

I actually got 8 kg in one throw last year in the canipa.

Hope that helps.

rando
04-10-2005, 08:24 PM
There you go!!! ;D ;D ;D I knew Id learn something new, always do.
Thanks ousideskip.
Crestcutter
Ibet you did a whoop & a holler when you pulled up that 8kg cast
Cheers
rando

Darryl
05-10-2005, 06:22 AM
Rando my mother lives on the Island and i have been visiting it for ten years and never got that much in one throw. :o

That day my family sat back like kings and ate the lot .

Mate i'm not quite sure what dancing a jig is , but i think i did when i got them up.

Good tucker too.

fisher28
05-10-2005, 09:35 PM
gday<current beam trawl owner here.to find prawns we look at water colour(in the river,dont know about the bay but).the dirtier the water the shallower we go.dead low tide in the eddies is normally the best.as for the chain,we drag a chain along the TOP of the mud,not under it,wouldnt our nets fill up with mud?and as for wrecking structure,if we hit structure we rip our nets,and we dont wanna sit home fixing em all weekend,i know!!!!hope that helps.

rando
05-10-2005, 10:38 PM
G,day Fisher28
So tell me is there a run of prawns in the rivers at this time of year? I was under the impression it only occurred in late autumn/early winter.
Cheers
rando

fisher28
06-10-2005, 04:08 PM
gday rando,not much happening at this stage,i mainly concentrate on the brisbane river,so maybe at night just above the gateway(either side).or newfarm park or further in the early mornings.there are a few large tigers and bananas mixed in together,do you catch tigers in the cast net?we are just waiting now,in a couple of weeks we should be able to get the greasies at the river mouth.shame we dont get much for them but.

rando
06-10-2005, 06:44 PM
Yeah Tigers & Bananas. Im land based but have a few sneaky spots I can get some deeper water to work.
I read a thread a while back from a yank, he was describing how they use burley over there when cast netting,
I might give it a try!
thanks for the tip
rando

fisher28
06-10-2005, 07:49 PM
no worries,good luck.webby,tried to msg you but being a new member im not able 2 yet.if you could send me your email address thah would be good.great site!!!!! 8-)