PDA

View Full Version : Newbie in Fishing

warspy
06-10-2005, 04:29 PM
Hi, I just started fishing and got a few questions, if someone out there would be kind enough to help out, that would be great.

Firstly, with the dam fishing in Brisbane (Wivenhoe and Marron) do we actually have to take a boat out and fish from the middle of the dam or there is jettys that we can fish from? If we can fish from jettys, what type of fish can we catch? also, which type of lures do we have to use? thx a lot for the help.

Louis
06-10-2005, 04:55 PM
Welcome to Fishing Warspy,

Obviously you will do better fishing from a boat in both impoundments, but it isn't a necessity. Fishing from the bank is also an option.

I can't recall any jettys at either lake.

With regards to wivenhoe my personal experience is that bass are pretty hard to come by fishing from the shore but Forktailed Catfish are in plague proportions and I'm sure that I'm going to get some debate over this but personally I don't think they taste half bad. They are all head and guts however and it takes a big one to get a worthwhile fillet off.

To catch these simply find and area where the water is over gravel/sand bottom and use bait and you shouldn't have any problems in catching them.

Warning though: Sometimes they are on and sometimes they aren't.
Sometimes you won't even catch one fish. Other times you'll average one every 10 to 15 minutes.

I haven't fished Maroon extensively so I'll leave it up to another ausfisher to help you here. But from what I've seen fishing at night from the bank in summer with surface poppers should get you Bass from time to time.

It might be worth your while to wade through the previous entrys in "Freshwater" chat as you can learn a lot this way.

Hope this helps

Louis

warspy
06-10-2005, 05:40 PM
thx for the help louis, appreciate it

blaze
06-10-2005, 07:54 PM
first up never fished an impoundment in qld.
I do know that when I was a bit younger and started fishing for trout at tassie highland lakes, I always caught more fish when I hadd no boat. Boats can breed lazy fishermen. When I had no boat I would arise before daylight and start flicking lures amongst the tree and structure in the lakes and kick butt. On buying the boat I started fishing gentlman hours (start about 10.00am) and the fish were always harder to catch.
cheers
blaze

Duyz72
06-10-2005, 07:57 PM
Problem is though, with the impoundments, from the banks is a lot of scrap around the edges, so watch out for getting snagged up. Also you might need a permit to fish some impoundments. U should also be able to hire a tinny for a few hours and pick up a few fish too.

Reidy
06-10-2005, 08:20 PM
Hey Mate I am for that great place tassie as- well, well I agree with you on shore fishing in tassie but up here it is a little different you can fish the shore but is much better from a boat. If you have one use it, the fish up here such as bass school and you can find them much better by boat, I would be guessing but you would get golden perch, silvers,and cod from the shore but you would have to pick a ideal bank with a drop off and structure.