PDA

View Full Version : Your home made insect repellant concoctions

Duyz72
06-10-2005, 06:30 PM
I remember reading somewhere in a thread, either here on ausfish or another site, someone had a recipe of their own mozzie and bug repellant. It was something like garlic, metho, aniseed or some such? More natural than the stuff from the shops and less likely to scare off fish from the bait when it transfers from your hands.

So tell me your home made mozzie and bug repellants. I would love to know a few.

I was thinking of garlic as a must ingredient, definitely no chillis lol

warrior
06-10-2005, 06:44 PM
baby oil, citronella and dettol,only use it at night or low sun,about one third of each,

land-lubber
06-10-2005, 10:28 PM
this has worked for me in general, but havnt tried it while fishing.

base : colandula cream (one of the main bases in moisturisers etc) which can be bought from chemists

smells: you can vary this depending on ur likes and dislikes in smell etc
but some essentials are tea tree oil, eucalyptus, maybe lavender oil and anything that smells, as above citronella, garlic etc.
just blend this up, and can be stored in any squeezer bottle. apply when needed.
the base is kinda oily, so stops the midgies and the smells keep the mozzies away.

cabfisher
07-10-2005, 07:07 AM
Warrior Your on the money ,
Only it more oil less of the other two It a proven stuff ask the peaple at any Nudist club.
Cheers Harry

Dodge41
07-10-2005, 09:11 AM
Have used many of the mixes above with success but found them oily.
This variation will rub into the skin and after a minute is not greasy

Sorbolene + about 10% dettol + a dash of Ti tree oil (or citronella)

I've been thinking this year to add quantity of 30+ sunscreen into the mix, and make it more multi purpose; (notice a lot of commercial repellants have 30+ added).

To get rid of chemical smell on the palms from the above, or petrol etc, rub in vegemite, cheese spread, or any strong food smell; had a mate do it all the time because he found the driver of tiller steered outbords didn't have the success of his crewmates who weren'thandling the fuel.

Cheers Richo

2iar
07-10-2005, 10:02 AM
THere are a few ideas on this in the "Camping" section - have a look,

Good luck,
Mike

-spiro-
07-10-2005, 10:21 AM
A good one is while your camping put a stubbie of Bundy on the table with about a third left in it. The flies are attracted to it and go in to the stubbie and drown. After a heavy session on the drink its amazzing how many flies are caught. ;D

szopen
07-10-2005, 11:28 AM
After a good session on the drink it is really amuzing to see the face of the person who had mistaken the above mentioned stubbie for his own ;D ;D ;D

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
07-10-2005, 11:59 AM
WD 40

Dave

Fishin_Dan
07-10-2005, 12:55 PM
When I was a lot younger (And cheekier) I lived at Bundeena in the Royal National Park. We used to sell "Home Made Insect Repellant" from a portable stall to the tourists... The best places were at the entrances to the long walks through the bush, or the entrance to Jibbon Beach...

Anyway, it consisted of sugar and water... Best Mosquito Attractant we knew of!!! ;) ;) ;)