PDA

View Full Version : Queensland Rec Fishing License UPDATE ?

Barrymundi
02-10-2005, 06:48 AM
Some old subject, what is the go ?

Is it on or not on. Last media report I listened too indicated no plans for a Queensland license. Last fishing lobbyist group report was saying we are getting the license plus the pineapple ?

Any update appreciated.

Al

kc
02-10-2005, 10:13 AM
To the best of our knowledge it is off the agenda (at this stage).

The draft proposals from the round of port meetings (RIS) clearly flagged the idea and price structures for an RFL but Fisheries has hosed this down saying it was only a "draft" proposal.....hmmm! I know we have heard that before!

At this stage we will keep watching but do not believe Government is seriuosly intending to bring in an RFL (yet).

REgards

KC
The Fishing Party (Qld)

Barrymundi
02-10-2005, 11:22 AM
thanks KC

gif
02-10-2005, 11:46 AM
Reading between the lines my best guess was the Public Servants want it

And pro public service organizations did nothing to complain

But the politicians see it as electoral suicide.

So that means its not dead - just put back in the filing cabinet

They will be sneaking through a Levy increase in your boat rego.

G

Rainbowrunner
03-10-2005, 03:36 PM
I beleive after paying for a rec licence in NSW that as long as the money goes straight back into fishing stocks and environment repair, NOT general revenue then I am for it.

Imagine buying all the pros out of moreton bay and associated creeks and rivers. They bought them out of Botany bay and the fishing there is great now.

ancienttinnie
03-10-2005, 09:27 PM
It can only be good for the fishing if done properly, NSW has had some very good results and revived some almost destroyed fisheries. The biggest question is can you trust a poitiian to do as he says and spend that money only on fishing. After the success in NSW i think the odds are getting to long for it to be that good again. I also feel the Fsheries can't really be trusted as they completely ruined the chance they had to improve our fisheries when they inflicted the last round of changes on us.

PMC
05-10-2005, 04:51 AM
Licence fees can be put to good use providing the administration of collecting the fee and manage it isnt gobbled up by administration costs.
It would be interesting to know how much is raised by GST on fishing tackle.
Paul

gif
05-10-2005, 05:49 AM
Fishing GST is $185 million each year, and fishing accounts for $220m in Fuel excise.
I Based these calculations #on # # The National Recreational and Indigenous #Fishing Survey # FRDC Project No. 99/158

Gary

gif
05-10-2005, 05:54 AM
I have two issues with fishing licences,

1 is how governments treat revenue. No matter what the intent they feel they “own” it it goes into consolidated revenue and does not get spent where it was collected. Look at fuel taxes that were to be spent on roads, for one of hundreds of examples

SIPS has been ok - but recently Fisheries tried to get their hands on Sips $'s for other tasks than restocking. That has to be brutally defended.

Now the Government spends a certain amount on fisheries - that money would be taken elsewhere and the licence used to pay for things we get already. No net benefit to fishing - just paying for what we already pay for in taxes.

BUT my biggest issue is one that some are not grasping

Fishing is a “Public Good” … we own the waters and the fish not government and We are 25% of the population who fish in Qld. (at least once a year) We are not some obscure group of 1% of the population who want exclusive rights.

Now when Fishing is a Public Good - well you never charge for that Just like you never see licence fees to go into a park. Or walk on the footpath, go to the beach or breathe air Or even for the fire brigade or for the army to defend the country - all share because they are Public Goods ( this is a well accepted economic principle)

The bureaucrats love a licence because it assures them funding and a job. And Sunfish is always under threat that they could lose funding (as happened once when they complained too much) - A licence body would give them a permanent irrevocable role I cant blame them we all love job security.

One more thing the anti fishing greenie groups love it. It puts a hurdle up that stops people starting to fish. Why do you think Qld has the highest participation rates in Australia and the lowest rates are where there are licenses?

And anti fishing lobby groups like PETA and WWF and the Greens and Democrats love a fishing licence because it is a leverage point. Once you start a licence it is easier to make it more expensive and harder and harder to get. The trick for them is to get a licence in in the first place. So at first they just try to get a painless one introduced.

Look at Germany You have to do study and pass a test to get a fishing licence - that will be the aim of some here. What do you think that does to the fishing trip with the kids on the holidays? Remember your fist fishing trip as a kid? Well that does not happen in Germany and that’s what some groups have planned for Australia.

Please don’t say “it won’t happen here”

head out of sand please.

Last time I heard lots of people say “It won’t happen they will never do it ore we will ... " they virtually killed of fishing at the barrier reef and closed of 30 to 75% of fishing grounds. It happened and it will happen again and again as long as you and I do nothing about it.

There are written policies of Australian organizations that match exactly what the Green Party in Germany has achieved (no competitions, no live baiting no catch and release)

Think strategically for a minute. Pretend for a minute you are anti fishing What would you do to stop fishing? You have no chance of banning it today - but little by little you can make it harder Think like rust - attack slowly and a little at a time, That is what is being done all around you right now.

Gary

baldyhead
05-10-2005, 01:03 PM
Very well put Gary, I have a couple of friends who live in Germany and you are 100% correct in what you say for over there. Only the wealthy can fish in Germany. They love it over here.
I hope that the people willing to PAY for a QLD licence read and take in what you have written as this is all so true. My father who was a fisherman said to me over 30 years ago that he was worried for me and my son and future generations because those "Bastards" ( Burecrats,Greens and anti fishing etc squads) want to lock it up and stop all fishing, hunting and camping in QLD..... Unfortunately he was right, as 30 years on his predictions ring true. We must fight to keep what freedoms and rights WE have LEFT...cheers baldy

whiteman
05-10-2005, 03:00 PM
No point comparing a country like Germany to Australia. We are SO unlikely to follow their lead on anything. You may as well quote Icelandic law!

The fishing licence has worked in NSW - or appears to - but with the QLD Govt flagging new taxes to prop up hospitals, don't hold your breath for significant funding going to recreational fishing regardless of its source. And we have a large % of tourism fishing so you can just imagine the screams from NQ will be heard in downtown Brisbane.

gif
05-10-2005, 04:31 PM
Whiteman

Sorry mate but I have to say that I could not agree with you less.

For a start I can show you where existing Parties - with elected politicians in Canberra right now have documented policies that are almost exact translations of what exists in Germany. They are following the example of the Green party in Germany exactly.

Why do you think they closed of 33.3% of the Barrier Reef? It was a Democrats Policy. And they got this policy ( and others) adopted by Howard in a swap to get the GST legislation passed by the Senate.

It has happened before and will happen again. We are in fact SO likely to follow their lead it is not funny,

North Qld? They have been screaming - about the GBRMPA RAP and the poor fools said they would never do it. Well they did do it and the result is worse than anyone imagined. And as a result fishing in Cairns had dropped by 41.6 % !

Tackle and boat businesses have gone bankrupt waiting for the compensation that has not arrived. So please don’t try to tell those poor Bs that fishing tourism is so important that they would never do it. Here are some examples: (names removed for privacy.

• XXXX - boat manufacturer business now in a container.
• XXXX - proprietors home being sold by the bank.
• XXXX - down from 3 partners to two.
• XXXX - one partner back out running a plumbing business.
• XXXX - Portion of display yard now devoted to box trailers.
• XXXX - House up for sale so that he can honour commitments.
• XXXX - has sold three investment properties - currently overseas investigating importation.
• XXXX - No capital repayments last 12 months - increased borrowings
- currently one XXXX inoperative due to financial inability to pay for repairs.
• XXXX. - volume down by 1/3. Currently in Fiji carrying out maintenance on ship while his wife runs the business.
• XXXX - Has built one boat in 12 months. Unable to get an offer for business.
• XXXX - Business closed - Owner now works as maintenance man
• XXXX Employed family - I think 5 people. Business now closed last I heard the entire family was on the dole.
• XXXX (over 100 employees) Most infrastructure sold off

Whiteman - sorry but you are so very very mistaken and the proof is on the table in Qld in the last 12 months.

Gary

whiteman
06-10-2005, 03:06 PM
As my dentist would say "Did I touch a nerve?".

I'll have to take your word for it Gary. You've missed my point regarding tourism however.

Barrymundi
06-10-2005, 06:30 PM
Why do you think they closed of 33.3% of the Barrier Reef?

Hi Gary, how did you calculate this figure ? And I would emphasis the word you used CLOSED

Also another question, should the only place where you raise revenue be the only place you can spend it ?

For example, Schools ? where should they get there money ? or maybe the defense forces ? where should this money come from ?

We will have a fishing license and the sooner the better.

As for the tourist, charge them also.

Too much holding hands and singing hyms.

Al

gif
06-10-2005, 07:10 PM
Whiteman

It not you personally - but the whole naďve attitude that thousand of people share. And that caused half of them to have to give up fishing.

Please - someone tell me that you have seen the light! North Qld is not some other planet Its next door

There are planned closures for all around Australia With the Cape and Gulf the next one planned. I got that from the Fisheries Minister himself last October – he was 6 feet away addressing a group of 20. it IS happening I met the people on Canberra doing the planning for it a year ago, and thay had already been on it for months

What do I have to do to convince you ? I am frustrated at being called alarmist. Well in ten years time don’t you dare say no one told us.

In North Qld we heard for a year or two locals saying the same thing - that they would not protest or complain because Fishing Tourism is so important and they would never dare close it down

Well they DID do it.

I didn’t miss your point about tourism Yes they think Tourism is important - but that’s glass bottomed boats and dive trips The Eco tourism wins . Fishing Loses.

Whiteman my friend - please look at North Qld again Look at what actually happened talk to people read about it then maybe the facts may change your thinking I hope you can look at the facts with an open mind

Sorry I seemed annoyed - just frustrated not with you personally

Have a great week

Gary

gif
06-10-2005, 07:15 PM
Calculating the figures

Did you look up that report? Its on the web or I could email it to you - 3mb

In an appendix are estimated fishing related expenditures - So I just calculated the GST on that. There was also $ on Fuel and I took an average of fuel levy c/$

This the sort of analysis I have worked with for years - simple stuff really

Gary

PinHead
06-10-2005, 07:34 PM
I doubt it will happen in Qld..political suicide for the Govt that introduces it.

baldyhead
07-10-2005, 12:17 AM
yeah pinhead thats exactly what was said when Jackboot Johnny instigated the knee jerk firearm laws after the Port Arthur fiasco

PinHead
07-10-2005, 04:18 AM
yeah pinhead thats exactly what was said when Jackboot Johnny instigated the knee jerk firearm laws after the Port Arthur fiasco

Let's not confuse Federal issues with State issues....a bit different anyway in regards to the massacre of 35 people to a recreational activity.

Barrymundi
07-10-2005, 05:41 AM

Hi Gary, how did you calculate this figure ? And I would emphasis the word you used CLOSED

Missed the question?

Your statement is a blatant scare mongering lie and the very reason activist loose credibility.
33.3% of the Barrier Reef is not closed

Al

whiteman
07-10-2005, 01:07 PM
Gary

You are so fired up on this issue you again missed my point on tourism which is the Qld Govt is unlikely to bring in a fishing licence unless it can appease the fishing tourism industry.

This thread started off about fishing licences and has spiralled away about the views of the Fishing Party. For the record, I read the document and it has some good stuff but if I was a politician I would dismiss it outright as it is presented as a very cynical report and this just doesn't wash with most people. Facts don't work, public perception is where their attention is focussed.

And for the record, I am concerned with the current government's attitude to a whole bunch of things and we had our chance at the recent poll and the majority of Australians once again, rule. As President of my fishing club I signed off on this submission to RAP http://www.bbbalc.com/index.cfm?Menu=Newsletter&PageID=141 . I am very much aware of the impact RAP has had on my area and have discussed it with anglers from Port Douglas to Mackay. Personally, it has not stopped me catching 1 single fish and there are a lot of people in the "same boat", so apathy will continue. When the RAP was an embryo I posted my concerns to this site that RAP is simply a smokescreen to appease the Green vote regardless of the facts and that is the case.

However, keep up the fight. The "authorities" will ignore 90% of what you say as you will be labelled a zealot and the rest of us will be happy with the 10% you achieve!

FNQCairns
07-10-2005, 02:32 PM
"33.3% of the Barrier Reef is not closed"

You forgot to add "to daytriping,sightseeing tourists"

I think it's closer to 70%+, for rec anglers.

Jesus if it were my backyard and I was banned from where I usually pick fruit but allowed to pick fruit only where I wouldn't, couldn't or it was a waste of time being bothered ie no trees, then also banned from using my chosen fruit picking method!!!!

Yep it's actually 70%+, No choice is not actually a choice.

cheers fnq

theoldlegend
07-10-2005, 03:07 PM
I would like to re-visit the first post on this subject. We seem to have drifted away a bit from the original subject matter. Take a deep breath guys, step back and then have another go.

To answer the question, I have absolutely no idea. Don't know whether they will or whether they wont, but here's my thoughts on the matter.

I wouldn't be too upset about the idea if it was run along the lines of the NSW mob, but I have my reservations about that system too. The initial idea of buying out commercial licences in NSW sounded great ($20M was provided I think) but now we find that out of the total revenue received from licences now, a fair bit goes towards repaying the $20M loan over a certain time frame, and about 9% to 11% goes on admin costs and compliance each.

I think it would be safe to assume that in total, about 30% or 40% of the total revenue received goes in repayments and admin costs. The actual results are on the DPI NSW web site.

So what we can say is, that we licence holders are repaying a loan that the NSW government provided and that it wasn't a grant of free money at all to buy out the commercial operators. Have we been ripped off? Will the Qld Government follow suit? Don't know.

To be fair, I believe that the NSW mob have rehabilitated parts of the Clarence River and other areas with this money and these actions are starting to show some results, so I suppose i'm pretty comfortable with everything.

That's about it, I suppose.

TOL

dasher
07-10-2005, 09:30 PM
OK when I lived in Vic they had a FW licence (similiar to our SIP) they then introduced an all water licence. The benefits to saltwater fishos was zilch. After checking the results over the the years the licence was introduced, freshwater stocking declined. Netting licences were bought out but they took their new found wealth and purchased licences that were not being used for a lot less than they got for their licences. Went straight out and upgraded their gear with their new found wealth so they could catch more. ::) Our SIP is under attack from the Gov and if we end up with a rec lic you may as well kiss the lot goodbye unless you are willing to donate to keep it going. (Which you should be doing but a bit from the Gov always helps ;)) Think long and hard before you agree a RFL, remember a heap of cane farmers have licences that could be sold to commercial interests that sell their own licences. BE WARY

dasher
07-10-2005, 09:37 PM
Just one more thing, check the NT with their fisheries and tourism. ::) No need for RFL here. Why!!!! Because they have fisheries management, some thing we need badly. >:( Not the greeny led group) but someone with enough intelligence to decide who should fish where and WHY

gif
08-10-2005, 06:26 AM
Thanks Whiteman

Yep #you need to push 100% to achieve a 10% movement.

cheers!

Gary

Barrymundi
08-10-2005, 05:43 PM
Come on Gary, back up your lie about 33% of the reef being CLOSED.

Crap like this gets around and people start to think it is true.

I also know my local tackle store is having the best year EVER.

Al

dasher
08-10-2005, 08:33 PM
Come on Gary, back up your lie about 33% of the reef being CLOSED.

Crap like this gets around and people start to think it is true.

I also know my local tackle store is having the best year EVER.

Al

Al you seem to have missed the point totally. :( It's not the percentage of the reef they have closed down it is the percentage of fishing grounds. ::) The Marine Parks in Victoria were exactly the same. >:( We only plan to close a small % for MP's, But what they closed were in fact the best fishing spots in Vic. :'( Very small percentage of area closed off but not a lot of fishable water left. >:(

By the way could you PM me the name of your Tackle Shop. :)

Jim_Tait
08-10-2005, 09:25 PM
Bring it on lets have a fishing licence and at the same time establish processes (as NSW has - to ensure generated revenue gets back into the fishery) and while we're at it why not set up a representative set of protected (closed) areas for all our fish habitat types (freshwater and saltwater) our fishery will be better off for it - can't blame the reef RAP for poor business management - fisheries in Qld (commercial and more recently guided recreational) have a history of overcapitalisation and boom - busting - IMHO ther are lots who see the RAP as a gravy train chance to put the bite on government to bail them out with compensation $ - just as much BS coming from that side as teh GBRMPA bureucrats!! >:(

Daintreeboy
08-10-2005, 09:33 PM
Al I'm sorry but I have to defend Gary here. If you read his first long post he basically says it's the fishing grounds that are closed. The fact that he didn't say it the second time is a bit ridiculous. This website is about 'fishing' and this thread is about a 'fishing' license. It's a bit over the top to berate someone to this extent for not fully qualifying their statements to the nth degree wouldn't you think?
Cheers, Mark.

Barrymundi
09-10-2005, 07:25 AM
I think you are all full of crap.

The post by Gary is a typical political lie, simple lie.

straight from Gary's post, learn to read.

The tackle shop, no need for a PM "Pro Tackle Townsville"

Al

Rumbo
09-10-2005, 08:36 AM
The fishing licence is only one nail in the coffin of family fishing.
I am from NSW and for years we camped in the national park at Minnie Water and fished for most of our holidays with hundreds of other low income families for no outlays, no rent, no national park entrance fees, no local gov. beach permits. Now to get to the beach you pay a fee to enter the national park, another for a beach permit (local council) and a camping fee if you stay. Add fishing licences for a family of five and it is dollars. A family on low income would have to think twice before heading off on a fishing trip to Minnie now.

The fishing has greatly improved since the buying out of the local pro fishermen but that would have been financed from general revenue if not from fishing licences.

I don't think it should all be free, but we need to keep families together in a society which puts so much pressure on them with a large % of families with both parents working and a lot with either one or the other at work at most times even weekends. Fish is an activity which allows a family group to interact without ouside pressure. As a society lets try to keep a fun family holiday affordable for all.

When "they" try to introduce fishing licences into Quensland I would like to meet everyone who oposses them at meetings/rallys. Don't let an injustice happen due to apathy as it has so often done before.

gif
09-10-2005, 09:50 AM
Thanks Mark (Daintreeboy)

Al #- your point is getting a little silly don’t you think? # #This is a forum where comments are kept brief. # I can write you a 65 page report if you wish. #

It is also a fishing forum where most have a knowledge of issues and history. # #And RAP has been a hot topic and well read. # It is also a year old so I assumed that you would have read about it.

So #yes I stand corrected #your Honour # - they Closed of 33.3% of the reef #TO FISHING

In my defence I assumed as this was a forum on fishing and the words “To Fishing” #were #understood.

As to your local tackle ship – well that’s great # - but a sample of one does not make valid data.

The Businesses #in trouble all come after they had been reviewed and assisted and have a valid claim for assistance because of RAP #- #not my opinion but of the major accounting Firm #KPMG.

The Qld Government figures in the GBRMPA submission also show that fishing is down in participation. #( refer to the study for the exact wording)

Cairns is down from 32,5% to 18.8%
Townsville is down from 33.4 % #to 28.4%
Mackay # 37.7 % #to 29.0%

This is more valid data that one Tackle store that is doing well. # I ma glad he is doing well #- but many more are not. # #Boat manufacturers, #2 Engine Manufacturer National mangers and tackle distributors have all told me that their sales are down in NQ. # #So I would say your local tackle store is doing very well indeed. #And that’s great.

Remember when the Green political groups were noisy but had no effect? # That’s partly because they sat around endlessly sipping herbal teas and arguing amongst themselves over trivial points # #Petty squabbles over nothing. # #And they got nowhere as far as making a difference and changing laws. # That went on for 30 years or more.

But now they have, in the main got there act together with effective and cohesive groups like WWF and The Greens. #And now they are making great inroads – like getting 33.3% of the GBReef closed off (TO FISHING)

How long will it be before the fishing fraternity gets cohesive? # #How long before we can focus on the issues, instead of squabbling and avoiding getting “political” as if getting political was something naughty? # # Crikey - it’s a democracy and that means it is your duty and right to have a say. #

We sure as heck don’t have 30 years or even 20 #or even 10 left to get cohesive and stop squabbling before much of what we enjoy now is taken in regulation. # #

Al # # all I can think is that I hit some other nerve #- because my trivial omission was not worthy of #calling me a liar.

I try to do a lot for fishing - in ways that few see. # #Frankly, calling me a liar has offended me

Al # #I can not see where I offended you #- but that was not my intention and I apologise.

Gary

MangoMan
09-10-2005, 10:17 AM
Interesting topic for my first post.

What I find outrageous is that this so called misguided fishing party, which I might add is just a few people are the ones who gave howard power in the senate to do as he wants.

Its the fishing party who must take responsibility for high fuel costs, taxes, the hospital system being in a mess, the average aussie not being able to have a gun, the sale of telstra, our soldiers being in Iraq and Afghanistan.

You fools in the fishing party may think it is fun to play politics but because of your conning votes from the average aussie and giving them to howard is why this country is such a mess.

Fookes may be able to write a fancy report but the quote by Al was correct no matter what you say. Typical lie from a minority political party. You are no better than the greens who you despise. I take it Fookes is an intellectual as his email address is at a uni. If thats the case then he should know that it takes years to gather data and evidence, not a few months.

Wake up Australia.

gif
09-10-2005, 10:37 AM
I do not represent the Fishing Party in any way.

I am putting up my own viewpoint.

Some are very quick to call me a liar.

Let us look at a few facts.

The Fishing Party may have had an effect on the result of the October 2004 Federal election. But Howard has a majority of 2 not one.

Hospital mess is a state issue # #- not federal. # #Under a State Labor government # - not Liberal

Fuels costs have gone up around the world due in part to a hurricane in the USA shutting down production capacity.

Gun Laws were changed some 10 years ago #- before the Fishing Party was formed.

Soldiers were in Iraq and Afghanistan well before the last election and during the election Labor said they would not withdraw them.

Sale of Telstra was a pre election plan

Buy I think the Fishing party is to blame for the earth not being flat #-

Yes I am very familiar with research The time taken depends on the project and the question being reseached.

The data I quoted was over 3 years I believe.

Gary

MangoMan
09-10-2005, 10:44 AM
Very narrow view Mr Fookes. With good federal politics they could all have been changed. Not now because you gave all the power to howard.

By the way, how many dollars did the fishing party collect from the last election.

PinHead
09-10-2005, 10:45 AM

What I find outrageous is that this so called misguided fishing party, which I might add is just a few people are the ones who gave howard power in the senate to do as he wants.

Its the fishing party who must take responsibility for high fuel costs, taxes, the hospital system being in a mess, the average aussie not being able to have a gun, the sale of telstra, our soldiers being in Iraq and Afghanistan.

You fools in the fishing party may think it is fun to play politics but because of your conning votes from the average aussie and giving them to howard is why this country is such a mess.

Fookes may be able to write a fancy report but the quote by Al was correct no matter what you say. Typical lie from a minority political party. You are no better than the greens who you despise. I take it Fookes is an intellectual as his email address is at a uni. If thats the case then he should know that it takes years to gather data and evidence, not a few months.

Wake up Australia.

wow..if this is your first post..keep em coming...I got a good laugh from that one....a time line of political activities in Aust would be a good reasearch tool for you.

Oh..and why can't the average Aussie have a gun...you can get one without any problems at all..just get the licence and then no problems.

Barrymundi
09-10-2005, 10:49 AM
Gary,

Hit no nerves with me. I have had the same sort of discussion with Sunfish.

Our you still trying to say that 33% of the reef is closed to fishing ?

I have been to my share of meeting and sent in submissions and participated in group submissions. I have never questioned your passion or commitment. I lie is a lie, simple.

And I have read the 107 submission from the Fishing Party you helped KC compile, it was nice of him to thank you for all your work on the fishing party website. ;)

To have credibility you need to be honest. People read posts like 33% of the reef is closed to fishing and think it is true.

Al

gif
09-10-2005, 11:46 AM
do you agree that there is #no fishing in a green zone?

What % do you say there is of Green Zones?

Even Senator MacDonald said
And whilst they were happy, well happy probably may not be the right word, while they were prepared to accept that one third or 33% was shut off # #they thought that # seventy five percent was a bit too much.

And what about teh restrictiobs in other zones?

What % do you say is zoned General Use #and has no restrictions?

You keep saying its a lie #- well show us what you mean. #If I am mistaken please show me the data.

I dont hide that I have supported the Fishing Party # #I have helped a variety or organizatiosns #But I am not a spokesperson.

Gary

PS I just had a look at the Fishing Party Forum and could not see a thank you from Kevin. Woudl you please point that out to me.

And would you mind being less sladerous? If I am mistaken please show me .

gif
09-10-2005, 12:29 PM
Mangoman

you are high on accusations and very short on facts

I looked at the results # - The Fishing Party collected $0 from the last election. #not a cent.

No Party has a policy to re introduce legislation that will allow semi automatic rifles reintroduced. SO no election resulst would have changed that. Guns are allowed in all states

I have wasted more than enough time on this

Barrymundi
09-10-2005, 12:31 PM
All I can say is I am 100% wrong and owe Gary a HUGE apology. I have been totally wrong on this subject for a very long time. Send me nasty emails,

here is the date to back up Gary’s claim
Total Area of zone types within the GBRMP.
PINK Preservation IA <1%
GREEN Marine National Park II 33%
ORANGE Scientific Research IA <1%
OLIVE GREEN Buffer IV 3%
YELLOW Conservation Park IV 1%
DARK BLUE Habitat Protection VI 28%
LIGHT BLUE General Use VI 34%
Islands (Commonwealth) Various <1%

Al

Barrymundi
09-10-2005, 12:33 PM
http://www.thefishingparty.info/wst_page10.html

banshee
09-10-2005, 12:40 PM
Rumbo I personaly don't think that the price of a license in NSW is to prohibitive,lets look at the family of five,if mum and dad are full time anglers it's going to cost them $30 a year(58 cents a week)each,if not,$12 a month each,if the kids are under 18 they are free,if they are over 18 they should be paying for themselves anyway,anyone who holds an Austrailian pension card is also free.Considering that the ultimate aim of the majority of this money is to rid NSW estuaries of commercial fishing I think it is good value.
In my opinion if the words "fishing license"have been uttered in your (QLD) parliment then you are going to get one eventualy,far better to get this pissing contest out of the way and start to work out behind the scenes on which model yours will be based.

MangoMan
09-10-2005, 01:17 PM
Are you sure you are wrong al_nfi ? ? ?

Yes that all adds up to about 100% but it is 100% of the zoned area

The question has to be asked, how much of the reef isnt zoned? Perhaps mr fookes can tell us. NOT ALL OF THE GREAT BARRIER REEF HAS BEEN ZONED. SO THAT 33.3% AS STATED BY MR FOOKES STILL ISNT 33.3% OF THE TOTAL REEF

In that case I still believe that the figure as stated is wrong

Yes mr fookes, maybe you have wasted your time. If you cant stand the heat then get out of the fire. This is politics after all. For someone who allegedly doesnt represent the fishing party you sure do sprout a lot about them and appear to talk on their behalf

MangoMan
09-10-2005, 01:19 PM
In my opinion if the words "fishing license"have been uttered in your (QLD) parliment then you are going to get one eventualy,far better to get this pissing contest out of the way and start to work out behind the scenes on which model yours will be based.

I doubt there has been a more sensible comment made on this whole subject.

MangoMan
09-10-2005, 01:46 PM
Before people start jumping down my throat

The great barrier reef region is approx 346,000 square kilometres
The great barrier reef marine park is approx 344,400 square kilometres this does not include the many inshore waters such as Hinchinbrook Channel and others

PinHead
09-10-2005, 02:08 PM

Wake up Australia.

seems like someone does not like Howard...but the alternative would have been a lot of fun..Latham..now that would have been really interesting knowing now how much he likes a dummy spit...regardless of what political party they are with..all pollies are the same...Liberal is still liberal..Labor is now small l liberal and the rest don't matter...and all the members only have one thing on their mind...getting re-elected.

MangoMan
09-10-2005, 02:21 PM

Wake up Australia.

seems like someone does not like Howard...but the alternative would have been a lot of fun..Latham..now that would have been really interesting knowing now how much he likes a dummy spit...regardless of what political party they are with..all pollies are the same...Liberal is still liberal..Labor is now small l liberal and the rest don't matter...and all the members only have one thing on their mind...getting re-elected.

But the fishing party gave howard power in the senate to do as he wants. He hasnt started yet

Gazza
09-10-2005, 02:27 PM
Mangoman,
one less Green senator
IS A GOOD RESULT ;)

MangoMan
09-10-2005, 02:33 PM
Mangoman,
one less Green senator
IS A GOOD RESULT #;)

and no fishing party senators was a better result ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Gazza
09-10-2005, 02:46 PM
Barnaby Joyce....undercover agent!!! :P
p.s. remember to not swallow the seed ;)

Sportfish_5
09-10-2005, 02:47 PM
Steve - We got another live one here ::)

PinHead
09-10-2005, 04:09 PM
Steve - We got another live one here #::)

shhh..not so loud..he is biting well at the moment

PinHead
09-10-2005, 04:10 PM
The Fishing Party gave Howard the power in the Senate? How do you work that out?
TFP preferences may have helped Joyce get in but the votes in the other States also had something to do with it.

nonibbles
09-10-2005, 06:48 PM

The great barrier reef marine park is approx 344,400 square kilometres this does not include the many inshore waters such as Hinchinbrook Channel and others

How can you say the GBR marine park....does not include the many inshore waters. To represent your argument fully you must include the inshore waters. The closures as a result of RAP effected these inshore waters whilst conning the greater majority of the population into believing it was the REEF itself that was being zoned. Closures to these inshore accessible areas is what caused the decline of the occasional family fisherman which is what will create the minimal participation in the future as thier children are not being introduced into this great socially fulfilling activity and what about what happens when those children have children of their own? Ignorance is just as bad as apathy. It is not those of us who know about fishing or have the ability to find new areas that are effected by this. It is the diminished access in the face of over regulation that discourages those with just a passing interest from dipping their toe into the water.

As for a fishing license? Once bitten, twice shy. What's that line we chant in the Angel's song, "Am I ever gonna see your face again?"

An Arabic Apothegm:
He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool. Shun him.
He who knows not and knows that he knows not is simple. Teach him.
He who knows and knows not that he knows is asleep. Waken him.
He who knows and knows that he knows is wise. Follow him.

MangoMan
09-10-2005, 07:44 PM

quoted direct from the official documents. not my words

Gazza
09-10-2005, 08:15 PM
So What?? ....1600 sq. klms are islands then?? :-*

dasher
09-10-2005, 08:25 PM

quoted direct from the official documents. not my words

OK We are all going to sit back and wait for your fix all plan. Will it be on the net or or on DVD ::) :-? :o :( >:( :-[ :-/

dasher
09-10-2005, 08:46 PM
Instead of negative and picky posts maybe one of you guys could come up with an objective post telling us what to do ::)

nonibbles
09-10-2005, 09:18 PM
keep up the good work. A bit is some. some is more than others are doing.

kc
09-10-2005, 09:34 PM
Been busy working and looks like I missed some "interesting" posts........fancy that....being blamed for War in Iraq, gun control and the ills of the state health system..all in one sentence.

Maybe we can next direct our efforts to curing world poverty and growing hair on my baldy head....shhh!

Or maye we will just stick to fishing issues....like we are suppossed to.

KC

Volvo
10-10-2005, 08:55 AM
:-? Eerrr?/, nup ::), go fishin instead.Enough pollies here ta take care of the situation.

Louis
10-10-2005, 10:56 AM
Don't be too disheartened KC

Their are still lots of us who deeply appreciate the commitment and effort you and your organisation put in to help the angler's cause.

Louis

bushbeachboy
10-10-2005, 10:08 PM
Mangoman,
It seems that you represent a certain political faction as well. Care to be open and honest about it? I won't hold my breath. I think you forgot to blame the fishing party for global warming, terrorism, the threat of nuclear war, aids, third-world poverty, inflation, unemployment and the lack of rainfall. At least they had the balls to stand up openly about their political beliefs.
Bushbeachboy