PDA

View Full Version : Moreton Island

Screaming_Eagle
11-10-2005, 09:30 AM
I'm taking the family to Moreton Island for a week in November and was hoping for a bit of help re:

a) best camping spot for a family with 4 yr old boy?

b) fishing tips - land based in November. What species and techniques (bait or lure). Spots to try. Where to get fresh bait.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Simon

2iar
11-10-2005, 10:30 AM
I'm taking the family to Moreton Island for a week in November and was hoping for a bit of help re:

a) best camping spot for a family with 4 yr old boy?

b) fishing tips - land based in November. What species and techniques (bait or lure). Spots to try. Where to get fresh bait.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Simon

A - You've got heaps of choice with defined sites with amenities. like at Comboyuro and Blue Lagoon. Also depends if you want surf or calm beach. We normally head to Yellow Patch - great views, near the rocks for fishing, and normally out of the wind. Sandflies can be around though.

This should help: http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/publications/p00019aa.pdf/Moreton_Island_Recreation_Area.pdf

B - You can pump yabbies or collect crabs at the lagoon between Yellow Patch and Coffee Rocks (can't remember the name), and pippies on the Eastern Beach. There are a few spots around the rocks, all the way from North light to Harpers. Just depends how much of a heart attck you want to risk getting there. Try the gutter at Spitfire Creek, which holds all sorts, or find your own gutter. Driving up to the lilighthouse and looking down the beach will help select one. We normally head over in Winter, so I'm not sure if the same species are around.

Good luck, you'll have a ball.
Mike

Screaming_Eagle
11-10-2005, 10:42 AM
Thanks Mike. I gather the rocks around Nth Point can get a bit dangerous then? Will definately leave the young fellow with ma while I tackle the rocks and take him fishing on the beach.

2iar
11-10-2005, 10:54 AM
Hi Mate,

The rocks aren't too bad at North Point and Honeymoon Bay, but yeah, I'd be careful with a 4yo. My "heart-attack" comment was more in relation to getting back up the dunes if you head to say, Boulder's beach or the Fingers with an esky and come back with a feed of fish. You'll be blowing hard, unless you're super-fit. Which I'm not :D

We've caught fish off the rocks just about everywhere, but funnily enough I've always found Harpers the least productive.

Good luck,
Mike