PDA

View Full Version : I need some crabbing advice

freddyfish
07-10-2005, 06:28 PM
Going up to Donnybrook area on Sunday and am borrowing some crab pots from my Dad .
I haven't crabbed before and was wondering where do you put the pots , on the drop offs or in the shallow areas around the creeks?

Whole mullet or anyone suggest a better bait. Do you get sandies up that way or mostly muddies. I'm taking my son who has been pestering me everytime we go for a fish up there.

He'll be thrilled if we gat any whether they are keepers or not.

Any advice welcomed.

Cheers
Brad.

robersl
07-10-2005, 06:40 PM
when you leave donnybrook follow the channel out towards mission point once you past the yellow x over peg you are in the main channel run you pots back towards bribie in the channel you should pick up a couple there mullet is ok but whiting frames are better if you can get them failing that launch at spinnaker sound marina go through the chaneel markers at the entrance and run you pots towards the bribie bridge getting sandie there

shane

Far_Canal
08-10-2005, 06:32 PM
Make sure you dont put your pots in the middle of channels otherwise youll end up with people running over them.

Muddies like mullet, so do sandies,. Its pretty easy, sandies where theres sand, muddies where theres mud (hence the name lol).

Good luck.

cdg81
08-10-2005, 06:39 PM
g day brad,

i live in mackay, and do some crabing up here. best baits to be roo meat, necks and tails are my favourate. get roo meat at most butchers. humble fish frames are pretty good too, larger run up tide seems to be better. not to sure bout sandies. hope that helps

chris

Scott15
08-10-2005, 07:57 PM
If ya can get hold of some macktuna, cant beat it for crab bait ay

dfox
08-10-2005, 08:32 PM
Brad, just watch the current in the passage around the main channel, if you put the pots out near there they may drift or the floats get dragged under. Theres a few sandies around up there at the moment, good luck...foxy

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
09-10-2005, 07:14 PM
Hi Brad

I usually get very good results using chicken frames. They're $1.99 kg from Woolies and I have found they usually outfish most other baits. Might be worth a go. One or one and a half to a pot.

Good luck!

Dave

freddyfish
10-10-2005, 06:25 AM
Thanks for the info guys. We didn't end up going out on Sunday ...way too windy for the little tinny , but looking forward to trying all the suggestions very soon.

Thanks again
Brad

devocean
11-10-2005, 05:49 PM
Throw in a bit of beef heart (you canb get it from woolies) and you will not go wrong