PDA

View Full Version : alchohol and boating

longtail
06-10-2005, 04:16 PM
well it's getting hot now , and that usually means lot's of beer being consumed ;)
but is it a good idea to drink while on the water ???

jason

dasher
06-10-2005, 04:28 PM
As long as the skipper is comfortable with drinking on board and it is done sensibly should be no probs. ;)

Fishin_Dan
06-10-2005, 04:32 PM
I'm with Dasher... Of course this also depends on that you're not the skipper!!! ::)

Black_Rat
06-10-2005, 04:36 PM
I don't mind if my mates bring booze on the boat as long as they stay in control #[smiley=whip.gif]

Owen
06-10-2005, 04:37 PM
I use the same self control in the boat as I do in the car.
A couple of XXXX golds is the limit.
I would expect passengers to adhere to the same limit as well.
It's a little easier to fall out of the boat and someone full of turps is unlikely to swim too far.
cheers
Owen

longtail
06-10-2005, 04:42 PM
i don't drink myself , so have imposed a zero-alchohol rule.
don't see why i should have to put up with empty stubbies on the floor

p.s wonder if that's why i can't get a deckie?

Bowlesy
06-10-2005, 04:52 PM
One or two's not bad, but I see far too many people leave smithton with an esky full of beer, coming home without a drop left. If thats safe boating, then I'm Santa Claus's Great uncle, ( twice removed on my mothers side ) :-)

DR
06-10-2005, 05:23 PM
i dont mind 1 or 2 lights, but if you want to come in my boat for a day on the pi** while having a fish, it will never happen. you only have to look how many accidents on the water have alcohol involved

CQ_Fisher
06-10-2005, 05:37 PM
This topic has been posted time and time again. Why bother? All it does is create a difference of opinion and causes people to argue their point.

No offence intended Longtail as i undersrtand that you are just trying to raise an interesting conversation to be discussed amongst members but i know for a fact from past posts that some members have had their lives or loved ones lives effected from drink driving and they do not discuss this topic in a open manner as emotions get the better of them.

For the record i am not ashamed to admit that i will always have a social drink while i fish with mates.

Cheers
JD

scott_b
06-10-2005, 05:43 PM
Couple of goldy's are good, usually don't get time to have any when throwing lures all day.
wamjam

Thunderbird
06-10-2005, 07:14 PM
;)

Thunderbird
06-10-2005, 07:16 PM
Half of the clowns i've seen shouldn't drive sober...... >:(

revs57
06-10-2005, 07:26 PM
I usually save it for a satisfying coldy after the clean up...a reward/incentive if you like ;D

Rhys

webby
06-10-2005, 07:31 PM
Now Now Roota, I reckon i could find a empty Bundy or two or three stashed somewhere in your rig ;D
Should be a tea tottler like me :-[
regards

Kiktz
06-10-2005, 07:37 PM
I have voted Yes, as I rarely have 1 drink whilst on the boat.
But rarely is not a never and none of my mates are huge drinkers.
So getting peeeeeeeed is not a problem. have you couple to enjoy the day but going hard on the water in a No No in my book

Jeremy87
06-10-2005, 08:03 PM
alchohol + fishing is fine
alchohol + boating not so good
In my book mixing grog with any sought of motor vehicle sould be frowned upon especially the skipper.

Reidy
06-10-2005, 08:06 PM
I don't mind people taking a beer in the eski but only a six pack for a day, the rest when we are finnished fishing :o

Cheech
06-10-2005, 08:15 PM
I don't mind people having a drink when out. Though I see this as being quite different to getting pissed. I am not as happy about that. When I am the skipper I do not go over the .05. But do not mind if a deckie goes over that because they are not driving, but in the case of emergency, I do not think it is appropriate to be a dekkie and get totally plastered because in the case of an emergency they may be required to actually do something responsible, like get the boat to port. When I deckie for others I never drink over 05.

Cheech

fishingnottake
06-10-2005, 08:24 PM
i don't drink and i dont have a boat at the moment but i never had a problem with people drinking on my boat when i did take them out, or people drinking on a boat i'm on, most people are sensible, or if they drink too much a swift uppercut and they're well sedated :| alot of people go fishing, not just to catch fish, but for the aptmosphere, that being said, i never drank when i was skippering simply because thinsg can go wrong so quickly,

ash

thedeckie
06-10-2005, 08:29 PM
Webby the tea tottler....yer right,sure he's got shares in bundy,me personally dont mind a drink on the water..in modeation and always under the limit.

Cheers
Paul

bignick
06-10-2005, 08:32 PM
I don't mind a mid-strength or two on a hot day, but if you want to get on it, find another ride; I've already sacked one deckie upon arrival at my place at 0130 because he thought it was a booze cruise. Not on with me , Sunshine!! Apart from all the bad behaviours that are exhibited by drunks (let's give them their full and correct title), you, as the skipper of the vessel, are in charge, and are, therefore, responsible for all those on board; and that starts up a whole new set of nightmares. I can't work out for the life of me why these people can't seem to take part in any activity where the drink is not involved in some way. They don't even think that, after the day's fishing is over, they usually have to drive home (I rarely offer a pick-up service). Anyway, why you would want to go hard on the grog in a bar that bobs up and down and from side to side, that smells terrible, and has no counter meals, entertainment, barmaids or pokies is beyond me. I won't even take you home if you're seasick unless you're on the wrong side of the half-dead ledger; there is no way I would if you brought it all on yourself. I would just laugh even harder and pictures would definitely be the go.

Cheers,
NICK.

Angla
06-10-2005, 10:06 PM
Couple of lites are great while fishing but when on land I always reckon 100 whiting takes a 6 pack to scale and fillet.

Angla 8-)

fishman7
07-10-2005, 01:35 AM
hi
i dont mind poeple haveing a few if i see it getting out of hand i stop it.as skippers if any think happen we are the ones to get in sh@t.as for me i dont drink.

danny

krazyfisher
07-10-2005, 06:50 AM
I go out to fish I drink other places. I wont have glass in my boat and
MY BOAT IS MY WORLD AND I AM KING....... its the only place I can pretend ;D

theoldlegend
07-10-2005, 06:59 AM
Time and place for everything. If you can't wait until you get back home, then maybe you shouldn't go.

If the skipper doesn't have a drink and gets crook, and you've been on the turps all day, who's going to take over?

I enjoy a drink when the temperature gets over minus one, but there's a limit.

TOL

cabfisher
07-10-2005, 07:00 AM
I have heard it all before .
I drink Water. As it taste good if you filler it first , It cheaper if it comes from the tap ,
And it will keep you alive no mater how much of it you drink.
Have a goog day
Harry

StevenM
07-10-2005, 07:19 AM
As a skipper on nearly 100% of the time I say no. As far any deckies go, stay in control and I would limit their quantities.

Billo
07-10-2005, 09:29 AM
I see no issue with having a few ales whilst on the water ..... .05 limit . sweet !

Alcohol being a diorhettic is not good on a boat in large amounts anyhow , i would not go over the limit as it leads to dehydration...which leads to sun stroke , which leads to mammoth headaches and no boating the following day .

With that said , i rarely hit the water in summer without a six pack of rumbo's !

gogecko
07-10-2005, 01:40 PM
I rarely drink on the water or off (yes, my avatar is a lie, but hey, Im a fisherman, what do you expect). I have enough other vices, and acohol is not my preferred mood adjuster. Most of my mates drink plenty, and I let them drink as much as they want on board my boat, but most are pretty sensible.

I find the problem is not alcohol and vehicles, its alcohol plus anger. Some people get very angry when they drink, and the men are even worse! Its not much fun shutting a drunk up, and then finding you have to worry about assualt charges or worse, you may have caused him permanant damage. I know how David Hooks bouncer felt.

FNQCairns
07-10-2005, 01:59 PM
I only have a drink on special occasions but wouldn't limit those on my boat from drinking or doing anything typical like having a cigy, swearing or speaking freely. 0.05 is fine, some people enjoy a slow plod through a 6 pack on their day out.

kleiny
07-10-2005, 03:39 PM
i'm not sure about this post but was this alcohol in boats or getting plastered on a boat. i don't mind an ale on the boat but probably half the time i take none. if you take a 6 pack of xxxx gold for a days fishing & drank them slowly over the day you wouldn't even get close to .05 , so i don't mind a drink on the boat if that's what you feel like.
kleiny

Sportfish_5
07-10-2005, 04:01 PM
Love an icy cold beer in summer on the boat BUT same rules apply as road.

Just a thought for anyone letting a deckie get on the juice but dont yourself --- As skipper of the vessel it is your responsibility to ensure the safety of those in the vessel. In these days of litigation I reckon if something happened out there and an injury or worse occurred you would be leaving yourself wide open ----- Any thoughts on this ??

Cheers

Greg

revs57
07-10-2005, 04:27 PM
I reckon you're spot on Greg. The lisencing requirement for boaties is that the buck stops with the lisencee. That person is responsible for the safe operation of the craft and if it could be proven that the person allowed others to get out of control causing an accident I reckon the way the regulation is written you'd be in pretty deep....I for one certainly wouldn't want to test it

Rhys

Poseidon
07-10-2005, 04:43 PM
When I was living in Cairns a few years back I worked with a guy who had a drinking problem ( 2 hands and only 1 mouth) and also a reef boat. He would regularly take out a crew of drunkards for a spot of bottom fishing.
All of a sudden he appeared to give up the drink and I asked him why. He went on to say that on recent trip back into Cairns one of his regular deckies who also had the same problem was one minute leaning back against the outboard then 5 minutes later was nowhere to be seen. The normal 'well what do I do now' went through the skippers mind and fortunately he was able to track back along his path and there in the black of night was his deckie scared white and frantic.
Since that event my workmate never brought alcohol onboard his boat again. The result of that night could have ended much worse for all concerned.
If you want a drink, stay on land, as treading water in the middle of the ocean is no place to be, let alone with a few too many in the tank.
Regards Cameron.

Fishin_Dan
07-10-2005, 04:58 PM
I love a good drink! (Irish family'll do that to ya!) And I do like to have a drink when I'm fishing, whether it be land based or boat. I don't often take it though as I'm usually driving (Car or boat). If there's any type of driving involved, I will usually have none.

However, you need to remember that some people do handle their drink a lot better than others! I have been known to go over the .05 limit, but there is no way in the world I would become stupid. I usually just laugh a lot more than normal (Just my personality I guess). I know my limits, and wouldn't go anywhere near them when in a boat!

I'm not trying to start anything here (And I may get flamed for this), but if people want to have a drink on board my boat, they are more than welcome. If they start becoming any chance of being a problem, then they stop or walk home!!! ::)

maztez
07-10-2005, 05:13 PM
had a bad experience back in the late 70s.. fishing in the mary river NT MANDATORY ESKY FULL OF VEGES AND BEEF (VB) two mates up from down southbellys half full when both decided to stand and get another beer ...didnt go down well in a 12 ft tinny ..next thing boat over ..two non swimmers walking on water ..managed to get both to shore saved boat etc ...just lucky the crocs were still shy back then ..from then on I havnt had a grog on board any boat ..
Terry

dasher
07-10-2005, 06:13 PM
There seems to be a familiar ring to some of the posts on this thread relating to drunken accidents/incidences. That tells me one thing and one thing only and that is it was not responsible drinking. >:( I am all for a few beers while your out fishing, but skipper, deckie and guests should all be subject to .05 rule. Nothing wrong with having a few lites or midstrengths while out fishing, but if you get blokes that cross the line, just take em home and don't invite them again. For the skippers, just check esky's coming on board, if it is excessive ask them to leave some in the car. Doesn't have to be an "AA" trip. Restrictions are becoming a sad part of life because there is a minority that stuffit up for all. Should we ban alcohol from the hotels and the clubs so we don't get any alcohol related assualts/accident/murders????????

The_Walrus
08-10-2005, 09:05 PM
Zero tolerance on my boat.

A couple of beers kept cold in the esky is fine but they stay there until the boat is back on the trailer.

Water is a too unforgiving medium.

Luc

wannabe
08-10-2005, 09:25 PM
:-X

dasher
08-10-2005, 09:48 PM
Ok from what I have read so far there are only 2 options. ::)
1. Total abstinance. :)

2. Drunken debauchery. :o

Somewhere along the line someone has failed to mention that there are those amongst us that can drink responsibly. ;) Some asthma medications would knock you around more that a few drinks on the water done correctly. ::) Wake up you clowns, if you are the skipper you dictate how much alcohol goes aboard. ;) If you're a wowser get another deckie >:(

longtail
09-10-2005, 05:39 PM
it seems there are a lot of people who cannot enjoy themselves unless there is booze involved , don't we go fishing to catch fish ?

jason

p.s i can handle the boat on my own so i don't NEED a deckie

Rainbowrunner
09-10-2005, 06:46 PM
I normally have a dry boat not that im a big beer drinker at all.
Altho a few weeks ago I took my wifes friends husband and son out for a run and he had a couple of hahn lights, I really enjoyed the couple on the trip home.
I also believe that when a trailer is being towed behind a car that a zero limit should also apply while driving.

Thunderbird
09-10-2005, 06:56 PM
Not that i take sea sickness tabs. But don't they make you drowsy? from what i've heard they do.

bidkev
10-10-2005, 10:24 AM
I was trying to avoid this thread, but it is "too close to home" to ignore.

Having spent many years in the licencing trade, I saw too many mates (and even family) go under to grog. I made it a rule never to drink during the day whether a customer insisted on buying me one, or not.

Despite that, both me and the deckie make up for it after 6.30pm ;D

I don't bugger about with that rule..........it's hard and fast. I don't even drink a goldie before 6.30, in fact, I wouldn't drink a goldie if I won a years supply......I like to taste my booze ;D

I have a big family and to date, have never had need for an "outside" deckie so I consider myself lucky that I don't have to impose my rules on someone else. If I can exercise self control, then hopefully, anyone can without me imposing restrictions on them.

I'm not knocking any one individual, but I've met hundreds, if not thousands who reckoned that they could "hold their drink". Normal, mild mannered blokes who "turn" at the slightest provocation, or self assured blokes who, when it comes to ordering a casevac, couldn't co-ordinate a piss-up in a brewery once they'd had "just a couple" These are the guys who reckon "I can hold my beer" and who risk other people's safety when the chips are down and it's too late to realise that they *can't* hold their beer.

I've also met guys who can drink two slabs in a day and perform admirably in a crisis, but they are in a very small minority. I ask myself if I am *honestly* one of them, and I have to honestly answer "no". I think everyone else should do the same with "honesty" and the safety of others, being uppermost in their thoughts.

Even a small amount of grog, slows reaction, impairs judgement, and can make a fool or a dangerous idiot of almost anyone.

We got caught in the boxing day storm (day of the tsunami) and I know for a fact, that I didn't handle myself as I would have done if totally sober. We weren't at risk, but could well have been. I posted how we had to rescue a guy's boat and his gear........I was out on the water with a good 3/4 bottle of brandy in me. I reacted without thought, and should have looked after my own, as opposed to impulsively playing the "good guy". After that experience, I am questioning now, whether I should drink at all, other than at home when the kids are tucked up asleep.

Please don't think I'm preaching or being "wussy", my propensity for drink and the trouble it has caused in my life would surpass anything you could think of. I'm just asking you to consider what I was once asked to consider and have had to consider ever since, "Are you *really* in control?"

cheers

kev

DR
10-10-2005, 10:52 AM
in fact, I wouldn't drink a goldie if I won a years supply......I like to taste my booze ;D

cheers

kev

[smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

this thread has a totally different 'vibe' to the last one that was here, good to see. i think in the last one people just said yes without explanation.

bazzacuda
10-10-2005, 03:30 PM
It’s just my opinion but I reckon that there is a great deal of difference between alcohol on the water and alcohol and driving. The margin for error is much less, the problems are far more varied and unpredictable and the penalties are much more severe.
My policy is no drinking alcohol on the boat at all.
Go ashore, make camp, cook delicious fish , drink heartily, tell lies.
Don’t forget that you can be busted over .05 even when at anchor and locked up for the night.
good luck to all

Bosunsmate
10-10-2005, 07:24 PM
Not a drinker myself but I don't mind someone else having a couple of lights or mids themselves, so long as they clean up after themselves and stay in control....

... As with everything show others the respect you expect and get the respect you deserve in return....IMHO anyway.

bushbeachboy
10-10-2005, 09:21 PM
A coldie is most welcome. I'm usually driving so only have a couple. Don't like drunks on the boat, so generally restrict it to 3 or 4 each for the others for the day. Anyone who throws an empty overboard goes after it in short order, like it or not. Of course, I always explain that to new crewies as a part of the General Safety Obligation (Qld). Heh, bluffed em all so far.

szopen
11-10-2005, 11:04 AM
Kev wrote:

"I'm not knocking any one individual, but I've met hundreds, if not thousands who reckoned that they could "hold their drink". Normal, mild mannered blokes who "turn" at the slightest provocation, or self assured blokes who, when it comes to ordering a casevac, couldn't co-ordinate a piss-up in a brewery once they'd had "just a couple" These are the guys who reckon "I can hold my beer" and who risk other people's safety when the chips are down and it's too late to realise that they *can't* hold their beer."

It is a fact of life that different people react to alcohol in a very different way, it does "help" to shed a lot of outer layers of a person.

I have voted yes as I do not see a problem with a couple of drinks on the boat when the circumstances allow. And with much more than a couple when shore fishing.

Kev also wrote:
"I've also met guys who can drink two slabs in a day and perform admirably in a crisis, but they are in a very small minority. I ask myself if I am *honestly* one of them, and I have to honestly answer "no". I think everyone else should do the same with "honesty" and the safety of others, being uppermost in their thoughts."

With the job I have I'm on call 24/7. If I am being called in to work at some more or less unholy hour it is usually an emergency when things can go very wrong. I had been called in more than a few times when I was rather intoxicated. Some of these situations vere a bit hairy but I had no problems (knock on wood) solving the problems. I seem to sober up very very fast in such situations.

Saying all that I realize that it is not such a simple approach as on the other side I would not drive the car after a drink and I would not get into a car when the driver had a drink. No way.

Tassie_Boy
11-10-2005, 11:16 AM
What do the divers think?

I love a beer after a dive but as it sends blood to the extremities ( like a hot shower ) I reckon it must lower internal blood pressure and increase the chance of getting a bend ( like a hot shower ). Not too bothered on a 1 dive trip but if I have a 2 or 3 dive day I usually get the boogie bends ( a bit like seeing boogie sharks ) and am too scared to have a beer or a hot shower.

szopen
11-10-2005, 12:54 PM
Although people might have differen opinions on drinking when boating I think that everybody would agree that drinking and scuba diving is just plain stupid.

There is already enough things that can and do go wrong when you are 20 or more meters under water that adding the risk factor of alcohol would be a big mistake.

I do not quite follow the idea of drinking increasing a chance of bends.
Yes alcohol does lower your blood pressure but we are talking really small difference.
I do not know what boogie bends are either.
If you are having problems check your decompression/safety stop procedures the reason is most probably there.

Tassie_Boy
11-10-2005, 06:31 PM
Thanks szopen,

I've never heard of post dive alcohol bringing on a bend either - but its good to hear it from a more experienced diver.

szopen
11-10-2005, 06:45 PM
Just read your previous post and thought hard.

Are boogie bends the imaginatory type???
;)

It might help to get a dive computer, it shows you a fair bit of data and timing so it helps put your mind at ease.

NeMo84
12-10-2005, 09:04 AM
yeh i always fish lanbased so drinkin is not a problem, a few of my mates come fishin just to drink and relax but when using SP's theres no free hand to drink so SP's are actually good for me i reckon ;D Carlos

bugman
12-10-2005, 10:06 AM
Tassie Boy,

Drinking and diving - certainly not for me.

I'll even stay of the turps to a great extent on the night before a big diving day. I won't have any alcohol when I'm snorkelling either. I fin it hard enough to swim/hold my breath and dive without alcohol taking away some of my faculties.

Bugman

Fishinmishin
12-10-2005, 11:04 AM
Sure mate ;) ;D.

bugman
12-10-2005, 12:02 PM
It certainly wouldn't be Carlton Cold Jay ;)

mackmauler
12-10-2005, 12:18 PM
need a long cold vic for the new barra king ;D outa that jump suit make a nice stubby holder.