PDA

View Full Version : Great Sandy Straits Marine Park Submissio

Scott_Mitchell
20-09-2005, 09:30 AM
Hi all, please read the following and support us fisherpersons regarding this matter. Jack.D

THE FUTURE OF THE GREAT SANDY MARINE PARK DEPENDS ON YOU!!!

The Government is about to finalize the Great Sandy Strait Marine Park legislation. The draft Plan proposed continued netting and trawling in the Great Sandy Strait while imposing serious restrictions on Recreational Anglers and other Marine Park users. Submissions made by recreational anglers and allied supporting groups have had an impact on the thinking of the legislators. Sunfish believes that at this time, it is essential to remind the Premier and all his Cabinet that there will be a lot of very angry people in the Wide Bay and Queensland who will not forget at the next election if they proceed to restrict line fishing anglers and other Marine Park Users, but allow continued destruction by netting and trawling.

Sunfish Fraser Coast request you do two things:

1. Send an email to the Premier and all his Cabinet Ministers advising them that you are concerned at the Governments attempt to discriminate against recreational anglers and other Marine Park users, and

2. Send this email on to as many friends as possible asking them to do the same, as well. Don’t worry if they are outside the Wide Bay area as the more you can get to make a submission the more impact it will have.

1. Send an email to the Premier and all his Cabinet Ministers by:

a. Open a new Email. Copying the email addresses below (Premier and Cabinet Members) into the address section [or the "To" section] of that email.

Premiers@ministerial.qld.gov.au; DeputyPremier@ministerial.qld.gov.au; Attorney@ministerial.qld.gov.au; CandDS@ministerial.qld.gov.au; ChildSafety@ministerial.qld.gov.au; DPI@ministerial.qld.gov.au; EducationAndArts@ministerial.qld.gov.au; Emergency@ministerial.qld.gov.au; Energy@ministerial.qld.gov.au; ETIR@ministerial.qld.gov.au; Health@ministerial.qld.gov.au; NRM@ministerial.qld.gov.au; Police@ministerial.qld.gov.au; PWHR@ministerial.qld.gov.au; Tourism@ministerial.qld.gov.au; Transport@ministerial.qld.gov.au; ELGPW@ministerial.qld.gov.au

b. Copy - Great Sandy Marine Park - into the subject box of the message;

c. Copy the following

“I am very concerned that the Qld Government will implement the Great Sandy Marine Park legislation allowing commercial netting and trawling to continue in the Great Sandy Strait, whilst placing restrictions on recreational anglers and other Marine Park users. I, and all of my friends, will be very angry if this is passed into legislation. STOP NETTING IN THE GREAT SANDY STRAIT!”

and paste into the body of the message;

d. Put your name and address at the bottom; And

e. Send the message

2. Forward this email on to as many friends as possible by opening a new Email and copying all of this message into the new message and send it to all your contacts. [This is preferable to simply forwarding, as repeatedly forwarded emails get very messy.]

Thank You

MARTIN BELLERT

Secretary

Sunfish Fraser Coast

nulla
20-09-2005, 12:39 PM
Done!!!

Hope it has some impact but they have probably already made up their minds.

Lucky_Phill
20-09-2005, 01:52 PM
I have read the proposal, and it appears again, that the rec angler is getting it in the bot bot.

When is this government going to wake up and realise that not only is there substanial economic value in rec angling, but those rec anglers VOTE.

Cheers Phil

kc
20-09-2005, 02:55 PM
For anyone interested The Fishing Party (Qld) submission took a significantly different tack to the Sunfish one. Attempting a blanket ban on commercial fishing, is, we believe, doomed to failure.

That said it is great to see the level of work being undertaken by Sunfish frazer coast and they should be commended for their efforts.

The TFPQ submission was compiled as a result of input from a public meeting in Hervey Bay, attended by some 500 people and ultimately the thust of the submission recieved the unanamous support of attendees.

In dot point it calls for

1. Change from the one line one hook policy in yellow zones in favour of bag limits.
2. Catch quotas for commercial fishers and only available to those with a history in the fishery...no new effort.
3. Phase out of all beam and otter trawl over a 5 year period.
4. Transit corridors though go slow zones.

Any person wishing to read the full submission document can PM me on kc@whitsunday.net.au

One of the main benifits in going to the ballot box is TFPQ has been officially vested with the responsibility of representing the rights of 30,000 Queenslanders in the political process.
We have tried to lodge a submission document which meets the needs of the residents of Hervey Bay and gives the Government enough scope to work within our suggestions and still appease the green lobby.

The GSS zoning is clearly a cause worth fighting for. If Hervey Bay suffers the same impacts as Cairns as a result of rezoning it economy and the lifestyle choices of locals will be severely effected.

Regards

KC

tshort
21-09-2005, 06:11 AM
If pro's are to be a protected species like Bilby's, treat them the same way. Fence off a large area south of Thargomindah and keep them all there. Problem solved.

DICER
21-09-2005, 06:36 AM
Has anyone heard of FIDO?

http://www.fido.org.au/GSMPNS_Submission_FIDO.doc

This also appears to be another side....

TonyM
21-09-2005, 09:39 AM
Yes Fido has some err how shall I say interesting views :-?

There are many different interest groups involved here, although as KC pointed out any submission needed to be realistic in terms of what it sets out to achieve. (Fido obviously don't follow this train of thought)

Here in Hervey Bay there is actually a lot of common ground between a large portion of rec fisho's, pros, tourist operators etc. Of course there are areas where all of us differ to varying degrees however it's far better if we have a common voice rather than bicker amongst ourselves and have zero chance of accomplishing anything. The fact that we've seen what allready happened up north certainly helped a lot to overcome the apathy most of us normally show.

The Fishing Party pulled out all the stops to help and the submission put forwards after we established the local Fraser Coast Sub Branch was a sensible considered response with some political clout behind it thanks to the parties experience.

I hope all of you guys in SEQ are raising your voice over this too as your local waterway is next on the hitlist.

This will be another precedent for what you cop when they start turning more of your prime fishing spots into protected habitats for green spotted nerf birds that roost nearby once every 5 years on their flight path to antarctica or wherever... silly example I know although there are similar examples in the GSS proposal - including a large section closed off as aboriginal burial grounds that happen to be underwater :-? ::)

About the only person who isn't at least somewhat on the same page is our so called local member who seems more intent on making more buddies at state political level.... >:(

theoldlegend
21-09-2005, 03:43 PM
Is the local member in Government or in Opposition?

Also, does the local member enjoy a healthy majority or is he/she in there by the skin of his/her teeth? Is the Green vote being targetted here? The area involved might encompass more than one electorate, I'm not sure. Might be time to drag out those stickers again - "I Fish and I Vote".

I can't understand why we rec fishers are once again being targetted, supposedly without any reduction in commercial operations.

TOL

DaneCross
12-10-2005, 02:01 PM
Just to ressurect this thread, I got this reply from the Minister of Fisheries today...

11 October 2005

Dear Mr ______,
Thank you for your email of 20 September 2005 concerning commercial netting in the Great Sandy Strait.
The declaration of the proposed Great Sandy Marine Park – Northern Section is part of the Queensland Government’s commitment to introduce a border-to-border system of marine parks. The Environmental Protection Agency is currently considering submissions received in response to the Regulatory Impact Statement for the proposed Great Sandy Marine Park – Northern Section Zoning Plan. The purpose of this Plan is to protect and conserve marine ecosystems.
With respect to commercial netting in the Great Sandy Strait, I advise that this issue will be considered during the development of the proposed fisheries management plan for east coast inshore fin fish. The purpose of this plan is to ensure the future sustainability of Queensland inshore fin fish species, which are of significant value to both commercial and recreational fishers and the general community. I am advised by the Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries that this plan will be developed in consultation with all stakeholders. The availability of documents released for public comment during the development of this plan will be widely advertised once they become available.
In terms of the timing of such a plan, I advise that the Honourable Peter, Beattie, MP, Premier and Treasurer and the Honourable Henry Palaszczuk, MP, the then Minister for Primary Industries and Fisheries, agreed that 2005 would be a year of consolidation in fisheries management. Significant fisheries reforms have occurred over the past five years, which have resulted in substantial changes to regulations for both recreational and commercial fishers. This consolidation period will provide all fishers with the opportunity to familiarise themselves with these changes before considering other much needed reforms. As a consequence, the proposed management plan will be developed after the conclusion of the consolidation period.
Yours sincerely
ORIGINAL SIGNED CHRIS CUMMINS
Hon Chris Cummins MP
Minister for Small Business,
Information Technology Policy and
Multicultural Affairs and
A/Minister for Primary Industries and Fisheries

bugman
12-10-2005, 05:38 PM
The year of consolidation - shame really.

DC,

Our Finfish MAC which the honoury member refered to is certainly not looking at a total ban on netting in Hervey Bay.

Brett

tshort
13-10-2005, 11:16 AM
DC, at least you got a response. I sent off what I thought was a well researched, balanced and well presented submission to several members with no response, not even acknowlegement of recaival. This was completed at the very beginning and still nothing.