PDA

View Full Version : Eating fish keeps older people brainy

DICER
17-10-2005, 06:22 AM
Eating fish keeps older people brainy

* 16:13 11 October 2005
* NewScientist.com

Eating fish at least once a week may keep you brainy in old age, new research suggests.

A study of about 4000 senior citizens of Chicago in the US showed that all of them lost some cognitive sharpness – such as memory and speed of thinking – as the years passed.

However, among those who ate fish once a week, the rate of cognitive decline was about 10% slower. And it was 13% slower among those who consumed at least two fish meals a week. The difference is the equivalent of being three to four years younger, say the researchers.

read more at....
http://www.newscientist.com/news.ns

gunna
17-10-2005, 09:22 AM
I better start then. I clearly am not eating enough at the moment [smiley=dunce.gif] [smiley=dunce.gif] [smiley=dunce.gif]

Dodge41
17-10-2005, 09:28 AM
Damn it left my run to late, so will stick to meat.

My wife had a lot of fish, so what happened?

It can't be fool proof!!!

philip_thomson
17-10-2005, 10:41 AM
good thing my freezer is full

Rob your set ;D

JewseeTHAT
17-10-2005, 12:01 PM
Ahh.. but does it grow a single braincell where one was never grown before?

JewseeTHAT
17-10-2005, 12:10 PM
AND... I've read that we're getting smarter each generation.. hence Einstein would now be considered an average IQ, when once he was an obvious genius... (however, if you knew some of the things my kids have done with their extra clever intelligence you'd dispute this)... to get to the point... just how brainy is it keeping them anyway?

GES
17-10-2005, 04:58 PM
Gee !! What an excuse not to mow the lawn and go fishing instead. I'll have to show the missus this string.

Er, er, what's me name, what's me name ohh yeah ...

GES

Gazza
17-10-2005, 06:00 PM
Luckily for me..the kids have their Mum's brain!!!

I've still got mine ;D, just keep losing it ::) , and can't remember where ;D :-/ :-/

dasher
17-10-2005, 09:26 PM
Eating fish keeps older people brainy

# #* 16:13 11 October 2005
# #* NewScientist.com

Eating fish at least once a week may keep you brainy in old age, new research suggests.

A study of about 4000 senior citizens of Chicago in the US showed that all of them lost some cognitive sharpness – such as memory and speed of thinking – as the years passed.

However, among those who ate fish once a week, the rate of cognitive decline was about 10% slower. And it was 13% slower among those who consumed at least two fish meals a week. The difference is the equivalent of being three to four years younger, say the researchers.

read more at....
http://www.newscientist.com/news.ns

Yeah I agree wholeheartedly. I eat heaps of fish and can honestly say....errrr sorry what was the subject again?????? :-/ :-/ :o :-?

rajawolf
18-10-2005, 12:59 AM
Is cod liver oil the same? :-*

tincanpeter
18-10-2005, 12:50 PM
What's it do to a younger person. Too late for me.

Jitlands
18-10-2005, 01:18 PM
Any chance we could get our Queensland politicians on a fish only diet?

kevin_the_fish
18-10-2005, 06:27 PM
I can't believe I just found this out, I'm off fishing tomorrow so watch out IQ tests

stubi
18-10-2005, 06:35 PM
Does this mean that you can now drink more beer if you eat more fish??? :-/ But if you eat more fish you will want more beer. Then you just need to eat more fish and then have a couple more beers then...................................

mmmmmmmm, my head hurts from thinking too much, I think I will go and watch tv and have a beer :o

Sandman
18-10-2005, 06:55 PM
Dicer that is so old! that research is as old as mapping human genome ;D
It was first published back in 2004 and 2002 New Scientist , Cognative enhancment or decline was studied in older patience mainly with dementia is the latest ( well not so new) .
Interesting stuff though as well as dementia it works in other areas of Neurological diseases.
"Conclusions Fish consumption may be associated with slower cogni[/[u]u]tive decline with age. Further study is needed to determine whether fat composition is the relevant dietary constituent."

PinHead
18-10-2005, 07:04 PM
when one is as intelligent, good looking, talented and modest as myself, those reports mean nothing.