PDA

View Full Version : Worm in fish

gawby
17-10-2005, 07:02 PM
One of the fish we caught when at frazer had worms in it and brett reckons you carnt eat fish with worms.
In the past i have eaten fish with worms in it and never had any problems.
What are your views on this matter
Graeme

Brejen
17-10-2005, 07:13 PM
Don't forget to add the worm was all thru the fillets as well not just along the back bone and stomach areas

Brett

Any wonder you get sick ;D. Or any wonder you are sick ::)

mackmauler
17-10-2005, 07:18 PM
I saw a morwong on the table, whod that belong to? lol

banshee
17-10-2005, 07:26 PM
Nearly every Trag or any Jew over 10kg that comes out of the water around here (Nth NSW) has worms in the fillets close to the backbone,puts me off a bit but dosen't seem to have any bad effects,my inlaws are fine.

scuttlebutt
17-10-2005, 08:01 PM
We kept a big GT for a barbecue once (big mistake) and it had disgusting big fat yellow worms in it's flesh. I politely declined to eat any, though from what I was told it was as chewy as leather, only it didn't taste as nice.

cheers,

steve

bosso
17-10-2005, 08:32 PM
all the prrot fish i used to catch out on the grweat barrier reef had worms and also the trout have black bugs in them. turns me off reef fish.

cheers

Shafty
17-10-2005, 08:54 PM
Jack Attack,

Many of the fish from the GBR, especially trout have parasites rather than worms. I fillet all fish, has the added advantage of removing the bloodlines which may (or may not) contain minute toxins, metals etc, though probably also contain the good omega oils. Anyway taste better.

Found worms and tumor looking things in barra and salmon in the gulf but are pretty easy to trim out.

Last trip up tp Kowanyama got a dozen grunter and one was riddled with little black spots on and inside the fillet. I've never seen this on any fish before and wouldn't cook it up.

Scuttlebutt, can't believe you'd need to keep a GT after the posts you've been submitting!!!

Shafty

DICER
17-10-2005, 08:56 PM
If you cook it well there should be no problems in eating it. But I guess the stigma of eating a nice looking fillet with wormies could get you.

gawby
17-10-2005, 09:57 PM
A few years back now we were at frazer and caught a jewy and it was full of worms and we cooked it and ate it. It didnt hurt us and it tasted real goood.
I think the cooking is the part, cook it well.
Oh well, worms to you all ;D ;D ;D
Graeme

Sportfish_5
17-10-2005, 10:03 PM
Nearly every Trag or any Jew over 10kg that comes out of the water around here (Nth NSW) has worms in the fillets close to the backbone,puts me off a bit but dosen't seem to have any bad effects,my inlaws are fine.

LMAO - I feed the in-laws trag too ;D ;D ;D

Cheers

Greg

DaMaGe
17-10-2005, 10:28 PM
errrr, what kind of worms? any pictures with detail.
Cannot say I have come across this and if I had, wouldn't really appreciate it.

rajawolf
18-10-2005, 12:49 AM
OHHHH great.....I was excited getting back into fishing after many years away from it...now I am feeling SICK!! :-[

Sushi anyone? :o

DICER
18-10-2005, 07:16 AM
I was fishing off a beach off the remote west end of Kangaroo Island. It was a nice sandy beach surrounded by large rocky caves and an estuary. The was also a transient penguin colony nearby. One morning I was fishing for sweep off the beach and I looked down to see my foot bleeding out. Couldn't figure why...nice sand. On closer inspection I could see a clear squirming arthropod engorging itself on by ankle. It was funny because it was clear except for its mouth and stomach etc, which were filled with my blood. Promptly cleared it off with the back of the blade and continued fishing.

I have seen some nasty fish parasite pictures within a mans brain. Initially he complained of headaches and developed tumor like lumps/lesions. He needed a major operation and I'm not posting these pictures. Apparently he continually ate freshwater species uncooked and unchilled/un-iced. I believe if you see parasites cook it. If going for sushi, ice it for many hours or freeze it before eating.

The dark patched may have been produced by Cryptobia "These parasites have been observed primarily in the stomach, but may be present in other organs. Fish afflicted with Cryptobia may become thin, lethargic and develop a dark skin pigmentation."

lucky we don't live in Costa Rica - but my sister can tell you about her experiences

gunna
18-10-2005, 09:10 AM
Sounds awful eating something with worms in it. Yuk. I will stick with wild rabbit thanks ;D

Louis
18-10-2005, 10:08 AM
I am reminded to an old saying my Mum used to say to me when I was a kid.

"If in doubt---Throw out"

Why risk your health for a fillet of fish.

It's not worth it.

I have always discarded fish etc. in these situations

Louis

SeaHunt
18-10-2005, 10:57 AM
Most of the Blackfsh you catch down near the Gold Coast have some worms in the flesh, you just cut them out, end up with a fillet that looks like you caught it with a shotgun. :D

bidkev
18-10-2005, 11:25 AM
The Atlantic Cod we caught in the UK often had worms. You wouldn't see them in the big fillets as they'd be buried in the flesh. The only way you knew was when you left the fillets in the fridge and the following day the worms would be all over the fridge.

Can't speak for aussie worms but the only thing that resulted from the coldwater species was that the fish flesh was not as firm as it would otherwise have been.

Having been on a few Royal Marine survival courses, eating worms don't phase me one bit...........now a pike eel running amok in an 8ft tinny is a different matter! ;D

kev

INDULGENCE
18-10-2005, 02:14 PM
A lot of jew have a white worm throughout their bodies. Whilst I have eaten it cant say it tasted any different than the fish it was in.

It hasnt hurt me yet.I use to try and pull it out now I just leave it.

Trevally have what I use to think was worm holes through their flesh, as I never found a worm I asked Julian Pepperell one day and his reply was that as they dont have a swim bladder (that white thing normally in a fish gut attached to the top of the gut cavity ) they compensate through holes in the flesh that hold air, thereby providing the same level of bouyancy as a swim bladder so they can swim upright.The bigger the trev the bigger the holes.
Havnt seen any worms that I can be remember in Trag It could be one of those warm water thingys like the milky kingfish.

Wally

magicpudding
18-10-2005, 08:31 PM
All the big wahoo i've caught have had worms/parasites of some form burying into the flesh to near the backbone. I cut them out to be ont he safe side, because there was affected flesh near the holes. The rest of the fish tasted fine.

CJ

gunna
18-10-2005, 08:37 PM
Dunno about this. If you shot a pig for tucker and it had worms would you still eat it ??

DICER
18-10-2005, 09:23 PM
You have to cook the pig well. A friend of mine was a radiologist. She had a case one day where a woman in her 50s broke her arm. They x-rayed the patient and found what looked like rice grains throughout her arm (apart from the break). The subsequently x-rayed the rest of her body and everywhere was rice grains, even inside her bain. She also had a history of mid thirties epilepsy, but that had disappeared. It turns out that she use to live on a farm and shoot pigs - sometimes the cooking wasn't good enough. Most likely the calcifications were leftovers of a unknown worm parasite left.

Moral of the story - cook well.

rajawolf
19-10-2005, 12:15 AM
OK now I am really not feeling to well ... :-[

Boat for sale.....
5 fishing rods and reels
gps..........
sounder....
epirb..
flares...
ect ect...
All new except boat.

astroboy
19-10-2005, 03:25 AM
Most of the blue salmon in the gulf are infested with little pink worms. It's easyer to just cut the worms out if you want the fillets, but you may end up with a case of swiss cheese. :-[

Big_unit
19-10-2005, 04:04 AM
I did a search and found this.

http://www.charkbait.com/article/RAPC2.htm

Interesting.

Cheers
James

outsiderskip
19-10-2005, 05:59 AM
u can buy worms to eat now
fish with worms wont kill u

cheers pete