PDA

View Full Version : Lightning striking boats

Any_Weather
18-10-2005, 04:30 PM
Was wondering what would happen if hit by lightning whilst at sea in an aluminium boat. Will only myself die, will both myself and my boat die or will only my boat die, or will we all live happily ever after?????????

megafish71
18-10-2005, 05:10 PM
Have a read of this thread http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?num=1123745134

Some really good info in there for you.

Ron

Lucky_Phill
18-10-2005, 07:03 PM
Well, it'll be like what the Mayor of Hiroshima said !

Phill

dugong
18-10-2005, 07:19 PM
only know of one instance, 3 people in a tinny making a run for it from a big storm.
results were one deceased, two traumatised, all electrics and motor fried so they had to wait for someone to come by and rescue them.

cheers

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
18-10-2005, 09:34 PM
Night Night Nurse

Dave

bazzacuda
19-10-2005, 02:31 PM
Megafish,
thanks for the pointer to that previous thread. On it, Sportfish_5 gives a link to a USA site [http://www.cdc.gov/nasd/docs/d000001-d000100/d000007/d000007.html] This is an article from the University of Florida dealing with boating-lightning protection and is definitely worth a read.

I’m gradually resurrecting an early 80’s Stessl half cabin and the plans include putting up a permanent canopy to carry my VHF aerial, my anchor light and my GPS antenna, all well above head height. Hadn’t even thought about the lightning issue.

As a result of that article, this is what I plan to do – this is pretty uninformed on my part and I’d welcome comments about whether I’m on the right track.

If there is a threat of lightning strike (1) lower the radio antenna to the horizontal. (2)I won’t be able to do much about the GPS antenna at the time however it’s only about 6” high and probably not an issue. (3) Instead of just putting up the light on a pole, purposely structure an “air terminal” as described in the article , and attach the anchor light to it– but no higher than necessary (“A lightning protective mast will generally divert a direct lightning strike within a cone-shaped radius two times the height of the mast. Therefore, the mast must be of sufficient height to place all parts of the boat within this cone-shaped zone of protection (see Figure 6).” – connect that pole using a “main conductor”to the aluminium hull which will act as the “ground plate” this will occur via the aluminium structure of the canopy which is welded to the hull.

This should then provide an effective direct path for the lightning to the water.

People should shelter within the cabin on the foam rubber cushions, away from the metal of the boat. No wet feet etc, rubber footware where possible – not wet dive boots. (had decided not to carpet the inside of the cabin because of corrosion issues – may have to rethink that.)

The advice “Do not become a lightning target. Preferably stay off, and definitely get off, the water whenever weather conditions are threatening.”is fine, but that may not always be practicable, a run for a safe anchorage could be the best available option, but one with a sailboat with a nice high aluminium mast would be preferrable.

if desperate fish with handlines

regards

Barry

GBC
20-10-2005, 10:20 PM
G'day,

Old golfing quote: always play a 1 iron in a storm, Why? Even God can't hit a one iron....

Seriously, trying to insulate oneself from an aluminium boat while inside the thing? Tell him he's dreaming.
Aussies, not Seppos are at the forefront of lightning technology, and the possibility that man might - repeat - might be able to direct the current flow.
I have installed hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of carbon fibre lightning attractors and arrestors to the sides of lighthouses, (which generally tend to be the highest exposed metal structure in any area) only to see the guts blown out of the structure in the next storm. This stuff was designed by engineers who have doctrates in the subject.
The damage a solid direct hit does is just awesome.
Forget trying to get thongs on, just drive like a mad thing to get out of there if you are worried, but the fact remains that lightning is random. ie bustard head lighthouse - big cast iron thing. We were there and watched a solid strike take out the concrete steps at the head keeper's cottage 40m away. Just as well because we were in the lantern room at the time. Bottom line is your would do better to wear a helmet while driving a car, than make your boat lightning proof.
C.J.