PDA

View Full Version : The tiger shark post

mackmauler
18-10-2005, 10:27 PM
Those who followed that saga and the mostly commonsense replies will get a laugh out of the many and I say many headcases and rabbit food eaters off the dive site that had a go at the same topic.

The comments are most enlightening, it is us against them see for yourself.

http://www.diveoz.com.au/discussion_forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10406&whichpage=1

land-lubber
18-10-2005, 10:47 PM
sigh, some people are really one eyed. :-/ they dont even read the articles properly. this kid only kills fish that are in line for a world record or the table as far as i can see, yet they act like he kills everything that he catches. i feel sorry for the poor father who is recieving all these emails from these deros. science has not actually proven that the hook affects the fish pain wise. in fact my observations show the opposite, with hooked fish that are dropped at the boat attacking the same lure seconds later. and they want to ban line fishing :o animal cruelty my a##. anyhoo, thats my take. might send the fater a nice email :)
cheers

Big_unit
18-10-2005, 10:48 PM
Your kidding. The Greenie, dope smokin, vegie eaten, Hippy attitude just shines on that site.

Cheers
James

Big_unit
18-10-2005, 10:53 PM
Someone should start Greenie clubbing as a sport, oh thats right the Tasmanian Police Service started it years ago.

Cheers
James

scuttlebutt
18-10-2005, 11:03 PM
I don't claim to know the whole story, however I do know that this wasn't the only large Tiger killed on that trip. TWO OTHER large Tiger's were also brought back and hung up alongside the biggest one.

Now I know it's not against the law to keep Tiger sharks, but why on earth would anyone want to? I kill my share of fish, so I'm not going to go on about it, but THREE big dead Tigers out of ONE trip?

cheers,

steve

dasher
18-10-2005, 11:12 PM
Thanks Rob, I now have a different opinion of divers now that I know they don't kill anything. ::) Hmmm best I join that site so I can promote The Fishing Party. :o ;D ;D Then again I'm not sure any of them would be able to fill out a ballot paper??? :(

zedjack33
19-10-2005, 08:03 AM
Your kidding. The Greenie, dope smokin, vegie eaten, Hippy attitude just shines on that site.

Cheers
James

LMFAO

[smiley=beatnik.gif] [smiley=beatnik.gif] [smiley=beatnik.gif] [smiley=sick2.gif] [smiley=sick2.gif] [smiley=sick2.gif] [smiley=dizzy.gif] [smiley=dizzy.gif] [smiley=dizzy.gif] [smiley=drunk.gif] [smiley=drunk.gif] [smiley=drunk.gif]

finding_time
19-10-2005, 08:10 AM
Rob why do you do it. You just love going over there to DiveOz and causing trouble ;D ;D

There's two sides to this arguement and i can understand both. If i was to catch a large shark sure i would enjoy the fight. would I bring it back to the jetty and string it up? No i don't think i would even if i was told it would be a world record , the same goes for a marlin i enjoy the chase and the fight but i upsets me if the fish happens to die. There is just not enough of these big fish around. I know many fisherman feel the same.

From a divers perspective you hardly ever see sharks and i know many divers that have done hundreds of dives and never seen one. The sharks you see diving are a very different creature from the shark you see fishing they have not been stired up with the scent of food and the vibrations of struggling fish, and as such are in more of an inquisitive state. They are truly a magnificent site and i will never forget the day a very large tiger swam by so close that i could have run my fingers down his back , incredible :o :o

Yes the diver blame fisherman for reducing shark numbers and their right, It's just not all fisherman are to blame , just like it's not all divers that are greenies .

Ian ( fisherman + diver + enjoyer of all the ocean has to offer)

Ps. Perhaps it would be better if you didn't enter diveoz any more rob ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

INDULGENCE
19-10-2005, 08:32 AM
The local dive operators were interviewed for the tele the other day in relation to the dive license about to be introduced in NSW.The oldest established operator made the comment that as the fishos have depleted the fish stocks and are the main takers of the seas they should be made to pay more so than a diver.
How short is this guys memory has he forgotten or these guys writing on Dive Oz who made their business in Australia. Cropp ,Calcutt and Taylor were famous for their shark hunting and fish killing.
We have all grown up past those days but this should not stop us or our kids especially taking trophy fish.
Let the kid have his enjoyment, hes not going to rape and pillage like his grandfathers.
As for the divers and fishos relationship,its a pity so many of us do both and have to put up with fools on either side.
wally

Jeremy87
19-10-2005, 08:50 AM
The divers blame the fishermen, the fishermen blame the trawlers, the trawlers answer to the government, and the government doesn't give a crap.

bugman
19-10-2005, 09:05 AM
Rob Rob Rob,

You need to get a job that takes up more of your time I feel ;)

There are frequent debates on Dive Oz about this sort of topic all the time. There are some very anti fishing members on that site but there are also a lot and I mean a lot of diving fishermen. Like any hobbie the radical element is always the loudest.

Please don't label all divers the same - which is exactly what they are doing in labelling all fisherman the same. Who's wrong?

Brett

JB
19-10-2005, 09:15 AM
Ahh f## em all, i wont be feeling a touch guilty when i dong the s!#t out of my first wahoo this coming summer ;D :P

finding_time
19-10-2005, 09:19 AM
Wahoo !!!! come on JB you know your no going to catch one this summer. ;D ;D ;D ;D

JB
19-10-2005, 09:30 AM
hahaha, is that a challenge Ian :P

Franco
19-10-2005, 12:06 PM
Hey Guys,

Some excellent points being brought up.
This is a never-ending and recurring topic that is always a great read.

My Father has a saying that He loves which I think is a Truism, and comes to mind wrt this topic ......
"EVERYTHING IS GOOD IN MODERATION MATE ....."

Most folk are in the middle ground when it comes down to it: #They don't want to rape and pillage the earth but also enjoy taking benefit from the stuff we were physiologically designed to do: #Eat good food (meat, carbs AND vege's), hunt/kill and grow good food, and keep the supply sustainable for the future.

Don't get too phased by it all; the fact is that the most vocal ones are usually the most radical, and are basically fruit-loops with a cause in some form or another. #I think we're better off not arcing them up coz it's a waste of time (albeit fun!) but at the same time ensuring that when it comes to legislation and political matters We DO STAND UP FOR OURSELVES AND OUR PRINCIPLES so we can continue to enjoy what we do in a responsible way.

I gotta admit some of the retaliating comments We make are piss-funny(!) but if we go out and stick it to em all the time we're doing the same thing as them..... and probably making matters worse for us! I can't wait to ding the next wahoo and mackeral this season too ...... Mmmm they taste good!

My Girl of 3 years has been a vegetarian since the age of 8 coz She loves animals (Yeah Boyz stop pissin yourselves laughin!) but She's a smart and really cool girl who believes each to their own and respects the fact that that I actually go out and kill my own food in a reasonably humane way (it can't always be ideal .... that's life and we're at the top of the food chain). #She has NEVER tried to convert me or anyone else .... She does what feels right for her and lets others do what they feel is right for them. #She loves coming out on the boat when I fish and helps me out landing fish if I need it, and makes me feel even better when I either kill the fish quickly (with eyes popping outta my head & saliva drooling from my mouth) or let the fish go as unharmed as is possible. #She's a legend. #(Although She WAS a bit freaked out when I quietly slapped a thrashing, slimy 67cm flatttie next to her as She was sunbaking on the deck in a bikini!)

SO anyway guys don't lower ourselves to the standards of those Hairy-armpit-arians, and remember most people (inc a lot of vegetarians!) #aren't radical, narrow-minded, verbose, self-righteous-my-shit-don't-stink, fruit loops. #I'd bet few of them have sponsored a starving child, done relief work in Africa, worked and helped in a remote Aboriginal community etc etc which would perhaps be a better way to improve the world.

For what it's worth Robbo if you wanna go and arc em up mate It may not be the best idea but I still find it Baarking hilarious!

Ciao Fella's

Scubaroo
19-10-2005, 12:55 PM
Rob Rob Rob,

You need to get a job that takes up more of your time I feel ;)

There are frequent debates on Dive Oz about this sort of topic all the time. There are some very anti fishing members on that site but there are also a lot and I mean a lot of diving fishermen. Like any hobbie the radical element is always the loudest.

Please don't label all divers the same - which is exactly what they are doing in labelling all fisherman the same. Who's wrong?

Brett
Hear, hear! There are heaps of divers who fish, and fishos who dive - there's plenty of guys like me (on both websites) with fishing rods and scuba tanks next to each other in the shed.

Sportfish_5
19-10-2005, 12:57 PM
Save the air bubbles ::) They are being wiped out by bloody divers and nobody says anything :'(

LMAO - that site is pretty funny at times.

Cheers

Greg

mackmauler
19-10-2005, 01:17 PM
I put the link up as it was interesting to see another groups view on the same topic, not to rag on all divers, obviously the moderators support those radical anti fishn groups though, noone says much about it :-?

The divers dont pannick much when someone yells shark but yell great white and watch em go! ;D

( proud member of diveoz *great white shark warner) ;D

Franco
19-10-2005, 01:44 PM
Got a good point there Rob

Tracking the Dad down and publishing his email for open email abuse is a form of assault, an invasion of privacy, and simply unethical. I agree the moderators should try to temper these actions and attitudes on that forum. I would hope that's what would happen on this site. (Big_Unit could be our Enforcer!!?? Hee Hee!)

And to make matters worse, those emails will most likely be abusive, insulting and personally attacking, and only result in the guys in the game club becoming more aggressive, and MORE likely to go out and think nothing of unecessary killing of trophy fish!! I too am a diver, spearfisherman, fisher, and previously hunter and can see points on all sides of the argument, but ya gotta do what's right for you while maintaing a good conscience and respect for Mothernature.

Radical wankers on BOTH sides just make the situation worse.
We all lose.

Here's to You Robbo and Bosunsmate for generating a good point of discussion

Can't wait for the wind to die down so I can forget about this crap and go fishing!! 8-) 8-)

bugman
19-10-2005, 02:42 PM
Rob,

Wasn't having a go at you mate. I reackon it's great you're own both - God knows a "normal" point of view goes missing over there every now and again.

Just trying to temper the comments from some of those that may open slather here. We're all users of the ocean.

I love your great white posts. I reckon it might be the little boy who cried wolf - when you spot one in the Brissy or Tweed River ;D

kc
19-10-2005, 03:50 PM
As you can imagine TFPQ has been asked to comment on our stance on this issue.

I have started to learn the art of choosing my words carefully because I know they will all be scrutenised in the future...so

Following is now my "form letter" response to "what does the fishing party think"

Regards

KC

Hi again Ivor,

I have done a bit of research and am now familiar with the issue.

The days of Zane Grey posing with a massive pile of dead sharks & fish have gone the same way as the images of Ron & Val Taylor shooting sharks for fun with powerheads.

Recreational fishers, in the main, catch and release "game" species and surplus requirements.

The ethical issue of catch and kill for record purposes remains an individual choice (within the law) but it is a choice increasingly moving towards release, as, I believe it should.

The Fishing Party (Qld) is opposed to all and any unsustainable fishing practises...........does the targeting of top end predators represent "unsustainable" fishing? This appears to be debateable, that said, commercial shark boats working out of Cairns kill many hundreds of times more sharks than recreational fishing every will.

At the end of the day Ivor, this organisation is formed to protect the rights of recreational fishers in the political process.
While personally, I find it difficult to justify this type of trophy fishing it is the responsibility of this organisation to act in accordance with its members wishes as well as encourage government to set rules regarding the management of the resources in accordance with the wishes of our membership.

I personally feel this particular incident will form a watershed moment in the history of trophy fishing for sharks and would not be at all surprised if a sustained lobby effort from various environmental groups work towards the protection of these fish.

At issue here, more than just a dead shark, and there are thousands of dead sharks every day..is wether individuals (rather than government shark nets and commercial shark fishers) have the right to undertake an activity which is both legal and (to them) a lifestyle choice. We maintain that they do. Some (many?) may not like it, just as some are vegetarians and find the killing of all animals abhorrent.

This is however, the thin end of the wedge. If this organisation was to rail against this issue (as I am sure many have) what is next? Marlin? All catch and release......then on to fishing in general. One needs only research the attitude of organisations like PETA to see that recreational fishing in general is on the "hit list" and The Fishing Party (Qld) is an attempt, by the rec fishing community, to fight back through the political process.

As to "speaking out", we will post our position on the various web forums we use for communication but in general our position will be to support the rights of individuals to participate in a legal activity. Understand however that this whole issue is an ethical dilemma that the recreational fishing community is having to deal with.

I would bring your attention to an excellent article written by respected fishing writer Blue Phillips in saltwater magazine........in fact titled..A Fine Line..Ethical Issues For Recreational Fishing. It is an excellent "read" and one which may go some way to helping you realise that "we" are already struggling with issues like "that shark" and attitudes are continuing to change.

Thanks for your interest and I will no doubt participate in the debate over the next few days on various web forums.
I already notice distinctly differing views on fishing sites as opposed to diving sites.

Regards

Kevin Collins
Chairman
The Fishing Party (Qld)

----- Original Message -----

magicpudding
19-10-2005, 04:40 PM
Well said Kevin

An interesting question would be how many of the angry members on the other site have ever been to the top corner of no 10 ribbon and seen the number of sharks there. The sensless killing of many sharks is disgraceful, however a couple of sharks each year up there would do bugger all to the shark population. Now the commercial shark fishery on the other hand............

CJ

bombora
19-10-2005, 05:55 PM
Hiya all, a frequent perver on this great site but an infrequent poster. Anyway I have access to Australian Associated Press and just a few minutes ago they posted a story that the stinking carcases of four large tiger sharks, each between three and four metres long, were discovered yesterday in a dry creek bed in the Cairns suburb of Kewarra Beach. Fins, tails and jaws had been removed. sharks discoevered cause of the terrible stink. Local cops quoted as saying they believe "sportfishers" responsible as "commercial fishers would have used the whole of the animal". Investigation is underway.
By the by I've been a passionate sportsfisho of 30 plus years and catching and killing fish _ from tiddlers to Tiger Sharks _ without eating em will get rec fishing banned or curtailed far quicker than virtually any other reason. I know, am friends or mix with a wide variety of senior Australian media figures (this ain;t a wank just trying to background ya all) and they almost to a person can absolutely understand and support fishing for a feed. To a person though they put crap on catch and release and fish being killed for record or a point score. They just cannot understand catching a fish (bothering a fish, hurting a fish etc etc etc heard it all) and then letting
it go without any intention of keping one or two for the table. Anyone who thinks the promotion of C and R only will save fishing has another thing coming. Seeya Bombie

Daintreeboy
19-10-2005, 06:50 PM
Rob, couldn't get past this bit, I had a firewall problem. Do you feel like stirring the pot for me?

http://www.diveoz.com.au/discussion_forums/policy.asp?http=yes

My post would have been:
What do you guys think of the Shark netting going on in this country? More senseless killing? And they die a lot slower than this animal did. I don't condone it either but don't you think some of you have gone off the deep end here, Strewth!

mackmauler
19-10-2005, 07:08 PM
This is one pot that doesnt need stirring Mark, you cant talk sense to someone that doesnt have any lol, #join the site as a shark netter and give them a wkly report, trust me you will make friends in no time.

Daintreeboy
19-10-2005, 07:12 PM
I'll go under the screen name pro finner. Maybe Homers 'Shark boy' is better lol

Heath
19-10-2005, 07:18 PM
Hiya all, a frequent perver on this great site but an infrequent poster. Anyway I have access to Australian Associated Press and just a few minutes ago they posted a story that the stinking carcases of four large tiger sharks, each between three and four metres long, were discovered yesterday in a dry creek bed in the Cairns suburb of Kewarra Beach. Fins, tails and jaws had been removed. sharks discoevered cause of the terrible stink. Local cops quoted as saying they believe "sportfishers" responsible as "commercial fishers would have used the whole of the animal". Investigation is underway.
By the by I've been a passionate sportsfisho of 30 plus years and catching and killing fish _ from tiddlers to Tiger Sharks _ without eating em will get rec fishing banned or curtailed far quicker than virtually any other reason. I know, am friends or mix with a wide variety of senior Australian media figures (this ain;t a wank just trying to background ya all) and they almost to a person can absolutely understand and support fishing for a feed. To a person though they put crap on catch and release and fish being killed for record or a point score. They just cannot understand catching a fish (bothering a fish, hurting a fish etc etc etc heard it all) and then letting
it go without any intention of keping one or two for the table. Anyone who thinks the promotion of C and R only will save fishing has another thing coming. Seeya Bombie

Now thats gunna fuel the fire.

Especially the fins & tail. Can only imagine where they ended up...... :-?

landbasedtossa
19-10-2005, 08:08 PM
What exactly was achieved by killing this big fish ( and the others he has killed also )? An inflated ego and his name on a neat little certificate. Disgraceful !!! [smiley=thumbdown.gif]

DICER
20-10-2005, 02:52 AM
sportfishers finning sharks - I'll believe it when I see it. Sounds like a practice that is done outside Australian territorial waters or inside illegally by non-australians.

This is going to cause a brew-ha-ha.

scuttlebutt
20-10-2005, 02:22 PM
the stinking carcases of four large tiger sharks, each between three and four metres long, were discovered yesterday in a dry creek bed in the Cairns suburb of Kewarra Beach. Fins, tails and jaws had been removed. sharks discoevered cause of the terrible stink. Local cops quoted as saying they believe "sportfishers" responsible as "commercial fishers would have used the whole of the animal". Investigation is underway. #
#

Now this MAY just be a coincidence, but that sounds like the haul brought in by the local heroes when they claimed the record the other day. What sort of attitude and contempt for others does this display?

cheers,

steve

Scubaroo
21-10-2005, 10:09 AM
Your kidding. The Greenie, dope smokin, vegie eaten, Hippy attitude just shines on that site.Just did a straw poll - about 55% of divers on DiveOz who responded to the poll also fish. That figure is probably in line with the general population. There's a vocal few who appear to give the board a certain slant, but they're certainly not representative of the general user population.

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
21-10-2005, 11:44 AM
#Sharks at that size mentioned have fins worth approx $100-120 per kg. The fins from those 4 sharks between 3 and 4 metres long would fetch a person approximately $3200 cash in hand. It is one of those alluring facets of the shark fin market that has participation from both commercial and rec fisherman. Commercial fisherman found with fins must also possess the corresponding shark carcass, which stops the indiscriminate wasting of shark bodies at sea for just the collection of fins. eg, a commercial boat that goes to see for two weeks can catch and sell shark fins on return if they also possess the shark carcasses for utilisation. No boat is likely to catch 30 sharks and return to land with 30 large carcasses. This is the rule that is supposed to limit the numbers of sharks that can be legally captured for the fin market.
I imagine this is where the fins went off these large tigers.
johnny