PDA

View Full Version : Illegal Fishing

Reidy
21-10-2005, 09:07 PM
Whats going on in our water off Northern Australia, please guys what can we do to stop the f@#$%en illegal fishing >:( >:(. What about what the french do. If you enter thier waters without permission they buzz them via areoplane, Then if you have not began your exit, your confrounted with a frigget boat who puts a shot off you bow, Then you know whats next. We need to tuffen up or they will never learn.

What do you all think I is a tuff one? :-?

Duyz72
21-10-2005, 09:39 PM
My two cents worth, rounded down now days is worth nothing I know ;)

BUT, when they do catch them, if the boat is seaworthy they simply impound the boat. They track down the owner, impose a fine and they get the boat back.

Why don't they confiscate the boat, sell it at auction to an Australian. That way it hits them a bit harder. NO boat = no illegal fishing.

I don't agree with shooting at boats they are after all just fish poachers, unless those poachers become gun happy themselves.

Daintreeboy
21-10-2005, 10:24 PM
not enough in the budget to protect the wide shores up this way. Remember no one gives a rats about us so we get jack. Keeping all the gear and either selling it to us or making artificial wrecks is the way to go but more policing is needed using radar etc.
We have a bigger country than France, even FNQ
Cheers, Mark

Dug
21-10-2005, 11:28 PM
there is plenty of money out there, they are spending 40 to 50 million on this stupid workplace advertising campaign >:(

The whole area is covered by the Jindavic radar system not much happens up there without the government knowing about it. They just have to get a boat into the area.

Why not help the fishermen at home to make a living so they do not have to come over here. Sorry but if I was poor and my family hungry and someone offered me a job that was a bit dodgy I would be tempted to give it a go.

Most of the boats are burnt, most of the people organizing the boats and making the big money are millionaires If you get caught you lose your boat and are on your own if you make it back you owe so much for the "Loan" for the trip then you make little or no money, it is the poor bloody fishermen copping it again.

wiseguy67
21-10-2005, 11:34 PM
I was at Ashmore reef off northeast WA in May 2000 and the coast gaurd came out to pick up a lot that had run aground on the reef, the next day they were back and dragged the boat off the reef and filled it with lead IE the kind that comes from BFG's it sank. Too bad as the day befor we had gone to have a look, it was full of mattresses and hundreds of cans of tuna and bags of rice, we grabed a box of tuna very good quality tucker! The motor was the only mechanicle item on the boat, no radio not even a compass! they were not fishing their cargo was refugees.
Shame the boat got sunk but its hull did have a fair bit of damage from the reef. It was very nice teak though, could of made a few nice bits of furniture from it.
North eastern WA has a fair few illegal fishing activities going on presently though security is much higher than it was prior to 9-11.....