PDA

View Full Version : Cape Bowling Green Base?

cusack
12-10-2005, 02:40 PM
Hi All,

Am planning to hit CBG in early to mid September next year for 2 weeks to try and T&R some small blacks & sails. Will be dragging my 5.1m sportfish back from the west coast and am keen for some local advice on the best jumping off/camping points(with fuel).

I see that Giru has a van park and launching in the Haughton River looks alright. Would prefer to be closer to the fishing grounds if possible so was considering Alva Beach. Don't even know if I can get a boat in there.

Anyway any thoughts on the best camping/launching locations aswell as prevailing wind conditions at that time of year would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Rob.

bushbeachboy
13-10-2005, 12:12 PM
cusack,
Molongle Creek has supposedly got a very good ramp/pontoon facility and a camping ground. I am not speaking from personal experience here, just what I've been told. Would give you access to Cape Bowling Green and Cape Upstart. Alternatively, Cape Bowling Green is not too big a run from Townsville. The Townsville Gamefishing Club go there regularly. I'm not a club member there, but someone on this site should be.
Cheers
Bushbeachboy.

cusack
18-10-2005, 09:18 AM
Bushbeachboy,

Am hoping to cut the run out and fuel costs by being based in one of the rivers in Bowling Green Bay.

I called the public bar at the Townsville RSL and had a chat to one of the locals who said the Haughton River mouth may be OK.

Also found a good spot to check the prevailing winds at http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/200509/html/IDCJDW4001.200509.shtml

Cheers for the help.

nonibbles
18-10-2005, 10:31 AM
Isn't there a camp ground at the Barratas/Morriseys?
You could also launch from Cungulla - its just outside the mouth of the Haughton. Can't give you any details though, never tried it.

bushbeachboy
18-10-2005, 07:36 PM
Cusack,
Tha Australian Institute of Marine Science has some remote weather stations that might help too. The link is:
weather-stations/weather-index.html (www.aims.gov.au/pages/facilities/)
Cheers
Bushbeachboy

bushbeachboy
18-10-2005, 07:38 PM
The link didn't come out properly on my last post. Just go to the AIMS website and search it under weather.
Cheers

Missing_FNQ
20-10-2005, 10:44 AM
I know the president of the Barrattas Creek Fishing Club (Was born in the Burdekin area).......Send me a pm and I could put you in touch with him...........I have stayed at their creek hut and while sparse it is a roof over your head :).......Good launching facilities there too but no fuel............On the other hand if you stayed in Ayr, there is a ramp at Ocean creek that most of the offshore fishers use

Nonibbles....I dont think there is a camping ground at Barattas

My ex-boss from up there is also the president of the Burdekin Sportfishing Club and has a house up at Cungulla. He would have a lot of info for you(if you can put up with his b/s about other things) ;D

nonibbles
20-10-2005, 01:10 PM
Nonibbles....I dont think there is a camping ground at Barattas

Yeah, I wasn't sure. #Had a friend who used to spend part of his holidays there (way back in high school - nearly 20 years ago now #:o ). #Guess he stayed in a hut, on boat or nearby. #Always referred to it as "camping" though. #Might've just made his own.

I'll have to check it out myself one day. #How do you get to Ocean Creek?
Found it! #Check out this link for directions to all boat ramps in Burdekin area
http://www.burdekintourism.com.au/seeanddo.html

Missing_FNQ
20-10-2005, 02:45 PM
Nonibbles........My brother still lives in Ayr and he will happily give directions....He can be found at any pub in Ayr ;D
I can remember the roads like the back of my hand but to give directions thru here would be quite funny(turn left at this cane farm then go past the third dirt road etc....)

""OCEAN CREEK TO GET TO OCEAN CREEK, TURN LEFT AT OLD WHARF
(13km from Ayr) ROAD, THEN TURN RIGHT AT PEGGY’S BOG ROAD. SINGLE CEMENT RAMP. BOAT REQUIRED.""<<<<<<<<<from that link and its very confusing

All in all Cusack, I would say you would be better off basing yourself in Townsville because the facilities and all-tide launching.

Mick

vermin
21-10-2005, 09:15 AM
Cusack,

You should look into a backup fishing plan as well. In this area it can blow for weeks and weeks and weeks and weeks .... :( I guess you too would be used to it on the west coast.

CBG is very good for inshore fishing as well. The guy Missing_FNQ referred to would be your best bet for advice.

Cheers,

Vermin.

cusack
24-10-2005, 10:15 AM
Thanks Fellas,

I also called a tackle store up there to get an opinion and the bloke said the run out to CBG from the Barrattas was only 20 miles as compared to 40 from townsville. Am keen to cut the feul $$ down and make sure I dont push the approx 150k range of the boat too far. Am thinking that if I base myself in Ayr I can just drive to the ramp at Barrattas or Ocean Creek.

Will be on the back end of the round Aus trip so have some flexibility as to when I am in the area. Should be able to pick a couple of weeks with good tides for getting out of the creeks.

Will also have a dirt bike in the back of the boat so if it blows too hard I'll go exploring and pick a land based spot somewhere, or some good FNQ mud to play in.

Mick, I'll take you up on the offer of the Barrattas Club Presidents details or any other locals. Am still juggling arrival dates for CBG, Cooktown, Tinaroo, Lucinda and Airlie Beach and would appreciate the local perspective on the best time to be in the Bay.

Cheers