PDA

View Full Version : Heads up Tiger catfish

dasher
21-10-2005, 09:53 PM
It's little sucker like these we have to keep our eyes out for before they can become a pest. >:(

Tiger catfish
Pseudoplatystoma fasciatum

Tiger catfish are declared noxious in Queensland. It is illegal to possess, rear, sell or buy tiger catfish. Offenders face penalties up to $150 000. Tiger catfish are have not established in Australia.
Description
In the wild, tiger catfish grow up to 104cm and 17kg, but are usually much smaller when kept in aquariums. They are usually grey along their back, shading to white on their belly. Their body is covered in black or dark brown bands. On the tail and fins these bands become smaller spots. Like all catfish they have barbels (whiskers) around their mouth, however these fish have exceptionally long barbels. As their name suggests, tiger catfish also have prominent and sharp teeth.

Distribution
Tiger catfish are native to South America, occuring in riverbeds and flooded areas of forests. They are not present in the wild in Australia.

Habitat
Tiger catfish are tropical, freshwater fish that spend most of their time on the bottom of rivers. Tiger catfish prefer sand or gravel bottoms and areas with abundant vegetation.

Diet
These fish feed at night on other fish and crabs. They generally only forage in riverbeds.

Reproduction
Female tiger catfish become sexually mature at 56cm and males at 45cm. This species is highly fecund, producing an estimated 8 million eggs per kilogram of weight. Eggs are not gaurded by the parents.

Environmental impacts
Tiger catfish are regarded as noxious due to their voracious appetite, large size, wide mouth gape and high fecundity. If they were introduced, they could cause the decline of native species.

Tiger catfish are not known to be in Australia, however if they are found in the wild or kept in an aquarium, they should be destroyed immediately and reported to the Department of Primary Industries.

el_carpo
22-10-2005, 02:58 AM
Sounds like the problem the southeast is having with the "snakehead" fish over here. They came from aquariums too and they're all over now. They have nicknamed them the "Frankenfish."

In my area, we have huge problems with asian big head carp and gobies.

It's surprising how well foreign species do in different lands. I would have thought the natives would kill them off but I guess not. :-[

Your climate in Australia really puts you at risk. We are lucky that it gets cold here and kills a lot of the invasives off (not the ones from China of course with their cold climate too) but over there, there's nothing but native species and vigilence to keep them in check.....

Good luck. I hope you can stop them.

E.C.

Jim_Tait
22-10-2005, 05:24 AM
The snakehead that EC refers to are now established in Papua New Guinea (Western Gulf Province) coutesy of Indonesion transmigrants to West Papua. Also estblished there are Climbing perch (Anabas sp. like an aquatic cane toad) and Claris catfish. This province of PNG is about a two hour dingy ride from northern Australia and all of these fish are partial air breathers and transported around by people because of their related 'keeping' fresh qualities.

Golden and Copper Marsheer (read giant predatory carp) are also now established in the highlands of the Sepik River basin in PNG (see attached image) - all of which means vigilance is of the greatest need!

Regards - Jim

Lucky_Phill
23-10-2005, 09:00 PM
all interesting reading chaps.

You wouldn't have a pic dasher ?

I don't know what posses some people to disgard their aquarium fish into the wild. It's bad enough with the European Carp invading our southern waterways, now it appears another pest is about to unleash it's reign of terror. !

IN Bulimba creek in Brisbane, it has a big population of Goldfish, some up to the kilo mark. ?

Phill

dasher
23-10-2005, 10:21 PM
Geez Phil I have heaps of probs with piccies, but will try mate. ;)

dasher
23-10-2005, 10:29 PM
Phil this will give you a better idea mate.

http://www.fishbase.org/Photos/ThumbnailsSummary.php?ID=6410

dasher
23-10-2005, 10:36 PM
Sad fact, European Carp were intentionally introduced to our waterways for a few peoples fishing preferences. Tilapia I'm not sure maybe aquarium, but this sucker could be released by idiots hoping for a good fishery, so be aware and vigilant.

rabbitohbill
24-10-2005, 07:02 AM
Thats a fierce looking bastard there dasher. I dare say a 17kg specimen would give a little curry, not to mention terrorise the locals.
Best to keep them away totally.

darryl_l
24-10-2005, 11:08 AM