PDA

View Full Version : Fishing The Wooli Area NSW

thedeckie
24-10-2005, 01:02 PM
Can anyone give me any info on fishing around the Wooli (Nsw) area,Im intending to head down there for a few days over xmas,will be staying at the Solitary Islands caravan park,went there a little while back but unfortunately a storm had gone through there and the place was a bit of a mess so I thought I would give it another try.
Any info would be terriffic.

Cheers
Paul (The Deckie)

roz
24-10-2005, 04:32 PM
Paul, are you bringing your boat? You will be able to launch off the beach at Minni Water without too much drama.

I don't have any waypoints for there, but I do recall catching stacks (mainly snapper) about 20 minutes wide of Minni Water a few years ago, not much would have changed.

Good whiting and flathead in the creek at Wolli, also a place not far from there called Jerusulem Creek......not sure of the spelling, has a healthy population of Australian bass.

Will pm you when I find out more.

Roz

bdowdy
24-10-2005, 06:42 PM
:)i fished wooli at easter last year andcaught a nice 70cm lizard and there washeaps of whiting ,bream, and small flatties,longtom,and huge stingrays right behind the camp area were your going to stay. this place is great i left my tinny in the water and camped right on the water . itwas a matter of jumping in the boat and catching fish in minutes. b dowdy.... ;D ;D ;D

thedeckie
24-10-2005, 07:31 PM
Roz,
Yep will be taking the boat,when we were there last (earlier this year) they had a storm come through the creek was filthy (brackish) from all the run off,but it looked like a really good flathead/whiting spot as bdowdy said dont think I will be travelling out the mouth,want to spend a bit of time in the creek with Mitchell and get him used to a fishing rod,never to early to get him started.Any info yo can give me would be really helpful.

bdowdy,
That sounds like a good idea leaving the boat in the water,only thing is though we will be staying in a cabin and there a bit far from the water,gotta watch those people around that Grafton /Coffs area LOL!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your input.

Cheers
Paul

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
24-10-2005, 08:36 PM
Hey Paul

Sue and I had a couple of weeks at Wooli in January last year. A really beautiful place and some good fishing. If you like oysters, they sell beauties at the co-op shop. If you're considering venturing outside of the creek be very, very cautious of the bar!
Sue and our son went on a trip to the solitary's on board Stan Young's charter boat. Absolutely fantastic time they had and I think it was only about $80 for a half day. The catch is shared between the customers and their is heaps for all. And Stan knows that area like the back of his hand. A top bloke too, I can't recommend him highly enough.
If you're heading down from Qld it pays to check out NSW fishing laws. They are quite different to ours eg: no cast net. You will need to get a license too I think.

Cheers
Dave

bdowdy
24-10-2005, 08:38 PM
:)try fishing around the island behind the cop shop and theres a oyster rack there youll pick the young fella some good fish there on the runout tide. also keep an eye on the kids when we were there a dingo was seen in the camp. but other than that its agreat place, good pub, good pizza,great offshore charter( CAUGHT HEAPS OF KINGIES AND A MARLIN WITH STAN).just anice small town. bdowdy.. ;D ;D

Seamus
24-10-2005, 08:53 PM
Yep, I can certainly back Dave aka Reel Nauti up with regards to Stan and his charter.

A group of us have gone out with him for the last two years now, and he does not stop trying all day and is only too happy to explain if you ask. Wooli Dive Centre (and charters). If you're looking for digs (other than the van park) Stan will be able to sort that for you too.

Seamus

revs57
24-10-2005, 10:18 PM
G'day Paul,

We're heading to Minni Water 17th Dec for 3 or 4 weeks with our new RipTide, been the the last few years and have caught some really good fish - snapper, trag, pearlies, Venus Tuskies, flatties and hooked into a huge marlin last year...Getting some new marks from a mate that will put us on some rather large (by reputation) Amberjack, Sambos and kingies...happy to connect when we get down there and share some marks, prefer the beach launch at Minnie to the bar at Wooli...less adrenaline rush...PM me if you want to chat further

Cheers

Rhys

Punkin
25-10-2005, 04:10 AM
There's no fish at Wooli, you must all be mistaken.
The locals won't let tourists in.
The dingo poulation has been known to take small children.
There is no shops and if there were they wouldn't sell to tourists.
The van park is infested with dropbears.
There's no fish (the occasional Grinner is all)
The road in is hardcore 4wd.
The people there are often heard to whistle the tune from Deliverance.
You have to boil all water before you drink it.
The Mosquitoes are the size of Starlings.
There's no fish (except for toadies and green eels).
It's really expensive.
The bar is the most dangerous in NSW (the beer garden ain't real flash either).
There's no fish.

revs57
25-10-2005, 06:29 AM
Now come on Punkin...this is Ausfish..we are meant to give our mates good info and help people in the right direction.... ;D ;D ;D ;D...aren't we :-/ ;D ;D

thedeckie
25-10-2005, 06:48 AM
Beauty Punkin,sounds just like the sort of place for a holiday,dingoes hey,mite be a few less mouths to feed by the time we leave and no fish is good,atleast I have an excuse now when I return with no fish in hand.

Cheers
Paul

Punkin
26-10-2005, 05:51 AM
It's even worse than that, Paul.
Would you believe the hold the Goanna Pulling World Championship there every year? :o

I ask you, what sorta community prides themselves on being expert Goanna pullers?
God knows what they do with the product? Probly put it in the town water or something....Nah, Yamba's a much better spot for the family.

Wooli's a dry community too, you're not allowed to even take light beer within 25km's of the town :P

we are meant to give our mates good info and help people in the right direction....

Just tryin to help my fellow Ausfishers not to make a terrible, terrible mistake. :-[ :'(

I believe they still practice headhunting in the hills around that area ;)

revs57
26-10-2005, 06:49 AM
Good on ya Punkin...I s'pose it is a little backward down there :-/, I've still never seen a goanna pulled...must be a sight... ;D ;D ;D

thedeckie
26-10-2005, 06:59 AM
Looks like Im gunna have to take me chances,youre not a local there are you punkin? I know we had chinese at the bowls club last time we were there and it was the best bloody chinese I have ever had.
Goanna pulling sounds interesting,never heard of that before!!!!!!

Cheers
Paul

revs57
26-10-2005, 07:40 AM
Yeah Paul, the chinese is worth going for on its own...hhhmmmm....fooood...and they don't cook ferrule cat's although I've seen a few bunnies on the river side at dusk... ;)

Punkin
26-10-2005, 01:15 PM
Nah, not local mate, wouldn't live there for quids, it's full of (insert your favourite hated minority here), but heard the Chinese at the club has changed hands....run by Hari-Chrishna's now. ::) :-[

Only bland sorta cabbage and choko mash stuff with no salt and some sorts soyabean mock meat sorta stuff. Been a bita botulism about down that way too, knocking a few of the locals off. Poor buggers, you'd reckon with the birdflu, Sars and Bubonic Plague they'd have enough contagious diseases to contend with. :-X :-/ :'(

thedeckie
26-10-2005, 02:44 PM
geez your a shit stirrer punkin lol!!!!!

Cant change me mind mate Im gunna go,will give the report when I get back if I survive all the elements that you mentioned!!!

Cheers
Paul

Punkin
27-10-2005, 05:34 AM
geez your a shit stirrer punkin lol!!!!!

Cant change me mind mate Im gunna go,will give the report when I get back IF I survive all the elements that you mentioned!!!

Cheers
Paul

I hope you do O.K. Paul ;D

As for the report, welllll....

cabfisher
27-10-2005, 08:10 AM
Hi all Well I did sail in Wooli back in1980 On my H28 Yacht .
Lucky I did not go ashore Just spent the nigh anchored in a reat of 4 yachts and 1 motor cruser ,
The guy from the motor Cruser ( the D/Head he was) went a shore to light a fire for a BarBQue only to find the tied came in higher than where he built it and put it out before the cooking was done (LOL) I did say he was a D/Head
But we never had any problem with the locals except when they trded to come aroung the bend in the creek to find it amost blocked with yacht and boat but they manage to get past just had to go slower we had no problem with the bar in those day , But that was a Long time ago . Best of luck with your ventury cheers Bye
Harry

Fishin_Dan
27-10-2005, 01:39 PM
I'll be down there over Christmas (My nan lives at Wooli), so hopefully will be able to catch up with a few people and even more hopefully, catch a few fish!

thedeckie
27-10-2005, 02:04 PM
Fishin_Dan,Revs57,
We will be arriving on the 31st of December,you may spot me around in the creek (4.2 Allycraft),Ive got Ausfish stickers on each side of the windscreen,be sure to say g'day if ya see me and maybe an ale.

Cheers
Paul