PDA

View Full Version : Syringes on Ramp

Dignity
30-10-2005, 08:41 PM
Came in the other day at Mooloolaba ramp and just after I got my boat in a bloke picked up a syringe of the ramp, seems it floated in on the tide. As I drive the boat on it was my wife I was more concerned for. Seems one has to watch ones step even on the water for these items, what is this world coming to.

Sam

RobSee
30-10-2005, 08:50 PM
That is nasty - another reason to get croc boots!

Mick_the_Fish
30-10-2005, 08:56 PM
Missus found 1/2 dozen syringes near the toilets at Nudgee Ramp last week. Need to watch where the kids walk.

The_Walrus
30-10-2005, 09:38 PM
Yep, it seem to be the way our society is heading, give every consideration to crooks, thieves, murderes, druggies and every other lowlife. >:(

If you're a druggie, you get free needles so you don't get aids. But if you're diabetic, you got to pay for them. :-/

Luc

sempre
30-10-2005, 10:12 PM
They are disgusting pigs, if you must use that crap at least put it in the bin. >:( >:(

Dug
30-10-2005, 10:14 PM
99.9% chance that the sun and salt would kill off any Aids virus in a very short time but I would not like to risk it.

Hepatitis C would be a worry too >:(

Sorry but if we legalized drugs and made them available on prescription it would take the glamour out of them.

Legal shooting galleries would stop a lot if needles lying round in parks and public spaces.

Prohibition, even the death penalty does not stop the drug trade, it just makes people more desperate.

bdowdy
30-10-2005, 10:23 PM
>:(scum of the earth >:( >:( >:(

Fishinmishin
30-10-2005, 10:35 PM
>:(Dirty selfish b*at*rds >:(

subzero
31-10-2005, 12:05 AM
About 2 years ago, we were getting them at the Victoria Point ramp.
Facing needle up, sitting just inside at the top of the large black permanant rubber fenders... peoples natural propensity is to grab hold of the fenders as they come along side... obviously intentional and very dangerous to the innocent boaties and public... all rosters were instructed to check them each day of roster first thing on arrival.... never had a problem since the floating pontoon extension was put in thank god....
Makes you wonder the mentality of some people #[smiley=behead.gif] [smiley=hanged.gif] [smiley=rifle.gif] Take your choice, mongrels that intentionaly leave trash like this around deserve one of the preceeding options

Cheers Lloyd

theoldlegend
31-10-2005, 06:31 AM
It's pretty sad when these people can't even be bothered to drop them in a bin or something.

I know what I'd like to see happen to some of these people, but my views would be met with shock, horror from certain segments of the community.

TOL

fishman7
31-10-2005, 06:50 AM
hi guys
even in sand pit and play area that kids use >:( i have no time for then i wont write what i think i get kicked off .
cheers
danny

Mick
31-10-2005, 06:53 AM
Spot on Dug! We try to punish users, producers and dealers and it doest stop anything. The nations with the biggest drug problems have the severist punishments.

I think the only way to combat drugs is education, and rehabilitation for those that want it.

StevenM
31-10-2005, 06:54 AM
I hope they all over dose so there is one less patetic useless individual getting around.

Dignity
31-10-2005, 07:18 AM
[quote author=Mick link=1130668885/0#11 date=1130705631] The nations with the biggest drug problems have the severist punishments.

quote]

Mick, but they let terrorists go free after only a few months in jail.

Sam

gunna
31-10-2005, 09:07 AM
Shoes for the boat ramp is pretty much a must in Sydney. Bloody low scum mongrels.

Hoges
31-10-2005, 09:21 AM
99.9% chance that the sun and salt would kill off any Aids virus in a very short time but I would not like to risk it.

Hepatitis C would be a worry too >:(

Sorry but if we legalized drugs and made them available on prescription it would take the glamour out of them.

Legal shooting galleries would stop a lot if needles lying round in parks and public spaces.

Prohibition, even the death penalty does not stop the drug trade, it just makes people more desperate.

Extremely well put together post Dug and my thoughts exactly.
Prohibition never solved anything.
Give the idiots free smack and take the profits away from the dealers.
Plus the added bonus of lesser house break-ins so addicts can finance their habit.
>:(

DICER
31-10-2005, 09:43 AM
A word of caution if you are around mangroves in the Brisbane river - I've seen heaps of needles get caught in amongst and around the mangrove root systems. It appears that they float in on the tide are trapped. Most likely they are the result of them being dropped down the nearest drain and this leads them to be flushed out into the river once a storm or rain comes.

Needle exchange programs definitely needed.

Syringes trap fluid - take absolutely no chances.

It's only a matter of time before someone cops it.

bidkev
31-10-2005, 10:06 AM
Every foster kid I've taken has been the produce of substance abuse. The majority are never returned and of those that have been, only one remained with the parents to the best of my knowledge.

Rehabbed offenders are few and far between. As far as I'm concerned, it's throwing good money at bad when we have to fight for every cent to help the abused kids, whilst we spend money on failed rehab attempts. Do you know that kids are actually left with their parents despite it being known that their is abuse taking place? Their just isn't enough money/carers/ to bring them to safety?

If you saw the state of some of these kids, then you'd want nothing but "cold turkey" for their parents. Girls as young as six sold for sex so that "mother" can have a fix, and no.......it's not an isolated incident, it happens all the time >:( >:( :'(

Forget methadone and conventional rehab..........lock 'em in a cell without a fix and let them suffer as their kids do. Cold turkey is the way to go. Once they're "clean", then provide 'em with decent housing, psychiatric care, and monitor their parenting.......at the slightest hint of a slide backwards, get the kids out of there. Thereafter "3 hits and you're out"!!!!! If you ain't coming clean after 3 convictions or Family service investigations, then you'll never come clean. Let the pigs die!

Sorry, seen too much crap to have even one iota of consideration for these losers. I was raised in care due to my parent's addiction to alcohol so I suppose my views will be "coloured" by my experience and will continue to be so for the rest of my life. I myself, was "addicted" at one stage of my life. Sooner or later we have to wake up to ourselves and we all have to make hard decisions as to where we are going and how we affect others. Addiction is another word for "selfish" in my book...........I want what I want and I want it now and to hell with the consequences for myself and others.

I don't know what the answer

kev is to this epidemic of substance abuse related child abuse, but I do know that if the sufferer hasn't got the balls to do the hard yards, or the decency to coonsider others besides themselves, then no amount of rehab (aka health dollars/tax payers money) is going to make one jot of difference.

Sorry........I get carried away by this crap and to be honest, they can all rot in hell in my book.

revs57
31-10-2005, 10:27 AM
Well, this is my field of work...and like you guys, I don't understand it either...and like you guys...I wish it was a heap different...and like you I would like to see a heap more responsibility take by users for their used syringes...but calling curses down from heaven wont fix anything either...

I understand the issues that contribute to addiction are multifaceted... educational, vocational, psychological, spiritual, political,social and economic...and until all sectors recognise the value of the other, and each contributes its unique contribution to the solution we will need to be vigilent with our own children and careful when in public places.

There is a sector that speaks strongly against shooting galleries for addicts, some suggest its rolling over on the problem...but clearly legislation is not going to either deter or solve the problem as it escalates.

The pro's for shooting galleries are the preservation of life if a junkie drops, and the safe disposal of syringes to protect the public and I personally think this out weighs the negatives.

One thing for sure is it is drug addiction is scourge that we all have to deal with in one way or another...

cheers

Rhys

Louis
31-10-2005, 10:47 AM
Don't be sorry for expressing your opinions Kingtin.

They sound like words of wisdom from a man who has seen this side of life and has formulated his theorys based on his observations.

Louis

PS:
On another note:

Just for everyones knowledge:

I believe that most city councils these days have trained staff with the appropriate clothing/gear etc, who if you ring them will come out and clean up needles from a place.

Hope this info is of some help

Louis

Poseidon
31-10-2005, 11:16 AM
It will be the same people who throw their empty rubbish out of the car without a care in the world, you know the type. The same people who will walk past the rubbish bin only to throw the rubbish at their feet.

Give it another generation and it all will be accepted as normal as those good people in the community will have to relocate away from the problem, find a nice rural setting and rememeber times gone by.

The 'do good movement' in the early 80's that set about hobbling the local police sergeant with the big boots has alot to answer for. I hope they reflect on the situation they have created in the community as they sip their next skinny cappacino in Park Road.

Louis
31-10-2005, 11:29 AM
Well put Cam

I couldn't agree more.

Louis

roz
31-10-2005, 12:22 PM
What is it with druggies that makes them behave that way, they seem to get all the help in the world yet they don't care if they pass on their filthy diseases to everybody else.

Darryl
31-10-2005, 12:39 PM
I think that there brain is too fried to care about what other people think roz.

I remember taking my little bloke to Australia Fair shopping center down on the gold coast , like every kid he needed to go to the toilet as soon as we got there.

I waited outside the door for him as usual and he yelled out for me. Of course i went straight in and here he was holding a needle with no cap on it that he got out of the toilet roll holder whilst pulling the toilet paper out.

I'm generally not a voilent person but i tell ya if my son had of contracted any diseases from it i would have spent the rest of my life flogging any junkie i saw with a needle in his/her arm.

So i guess the moral of my rant is it's not just the water, it's everywhere we go.

Just got to be carefull i spose.

Darryl.

sackrash
31-10-2005, 01:49 PM
Oxygen thieves the lot of them, a big fence and feed em the terrorists,its our tax dollars that is funding the jails that are no longer full of real criminals, just junkies who are doin break n enters to feed their habit.

SeaHunt
31-10-2005, 02:24 PM
The pro's for shooting galleries are the preservation of life if a junkie drops,
Rhys

That's not a pro , thats a con.
Best thing for all concerned would be to let them die.
They would be better off , their familys would be better off and all the people they are going to rob would be better off also, they are already basically dead. #:(

Agree with Kev here, Methadone doesn't work , they just end up addicted to both, rehab is usually pointless, I know someone who has been rehabed more than 10 times over the last 20 years.
Usually a junkie for life.
Some say harsh punishment doesn't work, well the hanged ones certainly stop selling the stuff, so I think it is more a matter of enforcement. #:-/

Dignity
31-10-2005, 02:44 PM
It will be the same people who throw their empty rubbish out of the car without a care in the world, you know the type. The same people who will walk past the rubbish bin only to throw the rubbish at their feet.

Give it another generation and it all will be accepted as normal as those good people in the community will have to relocate away from the problem, find a nice rural setting and rememeber times gone by.

The 'do good movement' in the early 80's that set about hobbling the local police sergeant with the big boots has alot to answer for. I hope they reflect on the situation they have created in the community as they sip their next skinny cappacino in Park Road.

cam, pretty well spot on - try throwing a cigarette butt out or other rubbish in Singapore and there will be 3 coppers on to you before it hits the ground. Very clean city, don't know much about the drug their abuse problem.

Sam

Louis
31-10-2005, 02:58 PM
You would think that with the level of knowledge out there of what unlawful drugs do to people, (eg. Mental Illness, addiction, harm to the body, possible death, a need to resort to a life of crime, gaol time etc.)

You would think that these people would have enough common-sense not to ever start.

Unfortunately it appears that in our society, common-sense is not all that common after all.

Louis

revs57
31-10-2005, 03:48 PM
Sorry Seahunt...gonna have to agree to disagree on your point

"That's not a pro , thats a con.
Best thing for all concerned would be to let them die". (seahunt)

I see potential in every person regardless of addictions (we've all got them - some are just more destructive than others) and where there is life there is hope.

I've spent many hours with the families of addicts...I've wept along side of my best friend who's daughter died of a heroine overdose. The families of addicts are hurting and broken people but none of them would prefer to see their loved one die...

I can't believe the lack of compassion expressed in some of the posts, and lets not confuse compassion with feeling sorry for someone... I dislike addiction too, I've felt the impact of it personally, I see the reality of the behaviour on others, and many are disaffected, sure I'd be pi$$ed off and mad if one of my children were a victim of another's thoughtlessness, but I'd hate to lose sight of the value of the person even if their behaviour is less than what I would like...otherwise I become like those overseas who leave the dead and dying on the streets and undervalue human life IMO...

I'm not a neanderthol, I recognise the issues, the difficulties and the cost...the reasons for addiction are as many as the sand on the sea shore...but the way I see it I am either part of the problem, part of the landscape or part of the solution...and wishing people dead, to me, is not an acceptable solution...
Cheers

rhys

Darryl
31-10-2005, 04:10 PM
It's an each to there own thing rhys and i respect your views and agree with them as i have a sister who had a prescription drug problem.

However i can also say that after seeing my son with a used syringe in his hand i honestly felt like looking for the first junkie i could find and giving him a flogging just out of pure rage.

I think people have just had enough of these type of people that i agree some want to be helped , but a lot dont. They are the irresponsible a##holes that leave stuff lying around.

Why should the average joe blow have to watch where he walks, sits or plays because of someone who has a problem with drugs . Yes as you say, they are someones child and need help but what is the gorvenment doing with our tax dollars to protect us from a potential aids stick?

I'm not having a go at ya rhys just trying to give you the insight on some other peoples perspective.

D

ba229
31-10-2005, 04:12 PM
And then we have wankers that want to save the live of that Aussie guy in Singapore who is about to die for trying to import heroin.

That selfish fool was more than happy to take a chance and make money to the detrement of our society. Who cares about the victims hey?

I will light a candle when they stretch his neck and he is dead for all the good people out there.

Poseidon
31-10-2005, 04:48 PM
Its clear that the softly, softly approach to substance abuse has gotten us to where we are today. Lets face it, as was mentioned earlier our prisons are bulging at the seems with those who have fallen foul of the law to satisfy their habit, they have stolen, bashed, lied and cheated all to get the cash to get their next fix. And you would think that prison would be one place where you could lose an addiction pretty quickly, but alas the prisons are full to the brim with drugs, again because of the softly, softly approach.
I feel very sorry for the parents of an addict and I also feel sorry for those other innocents who have fallen victim to crime at the hands of an addict. However the way we in this country are looking at the drug problem must change course.

"In Order For Evil To Triumph, Good People Do Nothing"

ba229
31-10-2005, 04:58 PM
A mate of mine has a simple observation of how our society runs today.

"Its all just kisses and cuddles" :) You can do something wrong time and time again but someone will always be there to give you kisses and cuddles.

blaze
31-10-2005, 05:06 PM
I dont blame user or pushers but the goverment who has taken away our right to disapline our children.
cheers
blaze

SeaHunt
31-10-2005, 05:07 PM
I've spent many hours with the families of addicts...I've wept along side of my best friend who's daughter died of a heroine overdose. #The families of addicts are hurting and broken people but none of them would prefer to see their loved one die...
Cheers
rhys

Thats fine Rhys , I also feel sorry for the familys, in particular the parents. A lot dont die and keep taking it , for years and years.
I too have spent many hours with the familys of addicts also, because in my extended family (neices, nephews, in laws etc) there is probably about half a dozen of them or more, I agree no one wants to see their loved ones die, but after watching a few put their parents through 20 to 30 years of hell I will stick by what I said.
Everyone concerned would have been better off if they would have dropped dead the first time they injected herion into their veins. Its harsh, but I think in the long run would be more compasionate for the parents.
The guy that has been in rehab 10 times was one of my best mates, I still get along with him fine, he is nearly 50 and has only recently got off the juice, probably because the quack told him he would have to cut one of his legs off if he didn't.
Thats 30 years of on/off herion abuse, probably sent his parents to early graves , but not himself,.......... yet :P

turkey_beach_boy
31-10-2005, 05:31 PM
yeah dug i agree 100%.legalised drugs takes the black market side out of it.but they would probly still throw their picks everywhere

Barrymundi
31-10-2005, 05:52 PM
oh to be so perfect.

put up your hand to be god

who wants the power to say live or die,

Lots of assumptions made from a needle at a boat ramp, could have come from a diabetic, medical waste,

one in ten people are addictied to a substance, pick out 10% of your friends and have them killed.

yes i have recovered from substance abuse.

after the addicts maybe we should shoot all gays, then go by colour, then my country of birth, oh sorry that was Hitler

bidkev
31-10-2005, 06:14 PM
[quote author=revs57 link=1130668885/15#28 date=1130737704]

<Snip>

but I'd hate to lose sight of the value of the person even if their behaviour is less than what I would like...otherwise I become like those overseas who leave the dead and dying on the streets and undervalue human life IMO...

I'm not a neanderthol, I recognise the issues, the difficulties and the cost...the reasons for addiction are as many as the sand on the sea shore...but the way I see it I am either part of the problem, part of the landscape or part of the solution...and wishing people dead, to me, is not an acceptable solution...

.................................................. .................................................. ................................

Noble and honourable Rhys and I respect your opinion and sometimes hate myself for what I now feel but every time, on reflection, I feel that there is no solution other than what I advocate.

There was a time though when I thought like you. You cannot become a foster carer if you are deemed to be judgemental and believe you me, because of my past, the psychological profiling that I underwent in order to become a carer speaks volumes of how I then felt with regards to the misfortunes that had befallen these families, including the addicts. I was far from judgemental back then.

Why am I different now? Simply beacause of my experiences as a carer. I have seen so *much* abuse, and so little real change in those who do the abusing, that I had to rethink my whole attitude to the situation. I am now totally convinced that the only way out of this situation is "zero tolerance"

I initially hated the thought of abandoning anyone in need, including the abusive parents as long as there was the slightest glimmer of hope of rehab and reconciliation. As I say though, in my experience, giving the "benefit of the doubt" invariably leads to the abuser failing and going on to commit further abuse. We therefore fail the abused, submit them to further abuse, which in turn leads to them abusing. By allowing the substance abusers one inch of freedom we put others at risk, invariably the elderly and kids because basically the abusers are cowards who are too weak to turn their lives around despite all the help and understanding thrown at them. How many instances of abuse are commited daily because of the silly, politically correct magistrates who allow bail so easily?

I used to think, "there but for the Grace of god go I" but I grew up and realised that "God" had nothing to do with it. It was *me* who turned myself around, because I hated myself for what I was doing to others. I *wanted* to change and there's the rub. The vast majority don't want to change, they just want their "high" and feck everyone else. I am not blowing my own trumpet here, just trying to illustrate the main motivator in acheiving succes.....the *desire* to have things differently.

It is our responsibility to protect our future generation from being abused and turned into abusers. Only zero tolerance will achieve this and I can assure you that Singapore has achieved in a few short years what "civilised society" will still be trying to acheive if we don't adopt zero tolerance now.

As I say, sometimes I wish I could still feel like you Rhys, but that wouldn't solve anything now would it? :)

cheers

kev

stubi
31-10-2005, 06:32 PM
Hi everyone

I have no answers, just more questions.

1. What do you do with the repeat drink driving offenders? If you ask a friend of mine she will say line them all up against a wall and shoot them all. Her husband of three weeks was killed by a drunk driver.

2. What do you do with the smoker that drops his/her cigarette beside the road and starts a bush fire that threatens and destroys hundreds of homes and kills people and firefighters?

I am sorry if I offend anyone, but it is a problem with ALL addictive drugs, not just the illegal ones. Thoughtlessness kills and destroys lives, no matter what the drug.

As I said I have no answers, just questions. I have no sympathy for those that continually f%@k over others to get their fix, I DO have sympathy for their families and those who have to live with the suffering everyday, especially the kids and victims (some will argue the addict is also a victim. OK, but a victim of choice maybe? The majority of addicts CHOSE to use in the first place)!!!!

Thanks for listening to my thoughts, I am glad we live and come from a country where we can express our thoughts and ideas. [smiley=end.gif]

See ya, Stu

lil_boatie
31-10-2005, 06:50 PM
In August a little girl at thornlands state school found one in the sand pit, She picked it up to take it to the teacher, triped over and got herself. Read it your self.

http://redland.yourguide.com.au/detail.asp?story_id=414496&y=2005&m=8&class=News&subclass=Local&category=General+News&class_id=7

It was in a bloody primary school!!!!

Thanks

bignick
31-10-2005, 08:47 PM
As per usual, it's the decent people who pay the price and have to tread warily around to avoid the hazards left behind by dirty stinkin' junkies (let's give them their full and correct title). What an absolutely useless little group in our society; not only do they bash, rob and traumatise innocent people when they commit crimes to pay for their vile habit, they then discard their AIDS and Hepatitis-ridden syringes anywhere and everywhere to create even more grief for an innocent person to step on. It's a lovely world where a walk down to the boat ramp can cost you your life if you step in the wrong place (AIDS is fatal last time I checked). Then those people who want to help these tormented wretched souls want us to have sympathy for them and their plight. Ask the bloke working at the Servo when it gets robbed and he gets his head bashed in for $200 of somebody else's money if he has any sympathy for them. Then again, it's all everybody else's fault and the junkie is the victim and we are all just collateral damage.

Cheers,
NICK.

bidkev
31-10-2005, 08:52 PM
#<snip>

#Thanks for listening to my thoughts, I am glad we live and come from a country where we can express our thoughts and ideas. [smiley=end.gif]

The majority of addicts CHOSE to use in the first place)!!!!

#See ya, Stu

Nice post Stu and if there's one thing I've learned abot Oz it is that you *can* have differences of opinions but that doesn't neccessarily make you "enemies". Arguments are easily forgiven and forgotten and despite Qld having a rep as "red neck country" I find that most people respect others' rights to differ on an issue without harbouring animosity. Perhaps I only encounter nice people? ;) ;D

The fact about choice though is a contentious issue. Some research shows that abusers don't "Choose" in the sense that we understand "choices". They are pre-disposed via social or genetic influences. That being said, I still believe that once they are aware of their problem, and how it affects others as well as themselves, then it *becomes* a matter of choice. You either want to kick it, or you don't. Research has shown that there is no physical inclination towards addictive drugs once iout of your system and that "rehabs" who lapse do so not because of physical craving but because of "mental/moral weakeness"

cheers

kev

Dignity
01-11-2005, 06:01 AM
Saw or heard recently that young people up to about the age of 22 who drink too much alcohol lose a lot of their cognitive skills and I would assume (rightly or wrongly) that any substance abuse could have similar repurcussions. This would explain their actions in not caring etc. I've read what has been said, agree with some, disagree with others and undecided on other points.

I guess my main aim was to make boaties aware that they need to take more care at places they work/play as I was certainly a little more lcarefree at the ramps.

Cheers Sam

stubi
01-11-2005, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the responce Kev

I agree 100% with you mate, maybe I should have put "majority" in capitals as well. By no means am I putting "all" addicts in the same basket, sorry if I led you to believe otherwise.

I am just an ex-chippie after all and I am not always that great at expressing what I am trying to say. I am a teacher now instead, scarey thought [smiley=hammer.gif] [smiley=stupid.gif] [smiley=wut.gif] [smiley=zzz.gif] [smiley=huh2.gif] [smiley=book2.gif] [smiley=bomb.gif]

I guess that we all need to remember that ALL our actions have consequences, both to ourselves and others.

Stu