PDA

View Full Version : TOWING CAPABILITY

ON-THE-CHEW
31-10-2005, 03:25 PM
I own a 1999 Holden Rodeo Lx 6 cylinder 2 wheel drive. Im told it has a 1800 kg towing capasity, the question is, I am taking delivery of a 6metre yalta 555 in about four weeks, total weight with full tank is 1600kg, I know on flat ground and driving I will have no problem but what do you think about pulling it out of the water? I have seen the 4 cylinder rodeos pull rumrunners etc out with no problem and they weigh about 250kgs less. I just don't want to get to the ramp and look like a complete idiot.

Anyones opinions would be muchly appreciated <>< <>< <><

P.S. FINALLY WILL OWN A BOAT.

Lucky_Phill
31-10-2005, 07:18 PM
She'll be a bit light in the back end, and you may have trouble retrieving the boat at low tide when most ramps are covered in the slippery stuff. I'd take a wood chock, tied with some rope. Place this under the rear wheels when launching and retrieving. As for getting grip ? Bugga !

Then again, you may have no trouble at all.

Probably why you see most 5plus mtr boats etc have a 4 x 4 in front of them. They select low range to haul the bigger boats from the ramp. Also, 4 x 4's weigh so much more than the Lite Utes !

Cheers Phill

Burley_Boy
31-10-2005, 10:00 PM
Let us know how you go mate :)
I only want to know as I'm considering a new rig too!

ON-THE-CHEW
01-11-2005, 04:38 AM
I think high tide shouldn't be a problem it is low tide im worried about. The boat is 1600kg with a full tank and I cant see any trip where I wouldn't use any fuel so any I do use will make it lighter. I had a car trailor plus a car(I think in total would weigh about 1500kg), did a couple of hill starts on farely steep hills to test it out and had no problems.

My first trip at low tide a mate of mine is going to bring his 4wd as well just in case.

Zeeke
01-11-2005, 11:04 AM
you including all your fishing gear as weight too? it all adds up.. esky.. full of fish or ice .. or both... then everything else you could consider... it adds alot of weight in the end

Tim

Wear_the_fox_hat
01-11-2005, 12:32 PM
ON-THE-CHEW,

Sent you a PM.

WTFH

NormC
01-11-2005, 03:01 PM
OTC, you have some competing issues.

You are close to your tow limit. With a 2WD, you are really only driving one wheel. ie if you lose traction on one of your rear wheels (say sliperry ramp), you will go nowhere (other than backwards and sideways!)

On a steep ramp, you might end up with little weight on your tow ball due to the weight of your motor and fuel tank (depending on where it is). You need to consider weight distribution.

I'd be doing a few tests first while you have your mate with 4WD to back you up.

As stated before, low tide, slippery ramp (particularly if a bit steep) will be your main problem. Dry ramp and high tide you should be fine.

My only advice is to take it easy until you know your capability. Hope it works for you OK.

familyman
01-11-2005, 03:57 PM
OTC you could always do it ski boat style in an emergency.
If the ramp is wet let the trailer back down the ramp on a cable with the jockey wheel down ,put the boat onto the trailer then pull the whole lot out keeping the tow vehicle on the dry ramp.
I have a newer model rodeo v6 2wd and it has no problem but I have weight in mine and my boat is lighter than yours by about 600kg.
I have seen sedans like falcons etc retrieving trailer sailers and they aint light when you get up to 22 feet.good luck
cheers jon

familyman
01-11-2005, 03:59 PM
Or get your local trailer people to put a pivoting drawbar extension like beach trailers.
cheers jon

FNQCairns
01-11-2005, 10:58 PM
OTC, 30 years ago most people had 2wd and boats were no lighter, I would hazard to guess most really didn't give the idea of using anything but the family falcon/kingswood/torana to tow their 5.5 a second thought.

You may like to ensure that the trailer has near the maximum tow hitch weight for the rig total also consider a couple of wheel chocks tied to the front of the trailer so when you do get momentum they will follow you up - but will also pull you up if you start heading backwards first. A small bucket of fine sand can come in handy also.

Congrats on the new boat, you now have somewhere really deserving to thow all those spare dollars.... YOU USED TO HAVE ;D.

cheers fnq

adrian
02-11-2005, 08:52 AM
i'd check to see that the towbar is strong enough is you are on the limit some places fit tobars don't ask you about the weight that you are towing so keepit in mind