cobia tailor
snapper dart
sweetlip bream
parrot whiting
pearl perch flathead

I want a spot on Foxies boat that weekend......lol

620sf
24-10-2005, 12:58 PM
Sounds pretty good Chris, we too need alittle more information but if the weathers looking good for that weekend we'll be there for sure.

Luke

caloundra
24-10-2005, 05:26 PM
here's some more info

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?num=1128901097

Daniel

Jitlands
25-10-2005, 08:03 AM
If a rec angler goes fishing with the intention of recieving financial gain, ($50K) how is he different from the shamateur who sells his catch on the black market? Both are using our limited and declining fish stocks for personal gain.

finding_time
25-10-2005, 08:08 AM
If a rec angler goes fishing with the intention of recieving financial gain, ($50K) how is he different from the shamateur who sells his catch on the black market? Both are using our limited and declining fish stocks for personal gain.

Here we go!!! :o

Billo
25-10-2005, 08:09 AM

The difference is one makes his money through a mini bus full of fish , and quite possibly the indescriminate killing of hundreds , maybe thousands of smaller fish / endangered fish etc etc , where as the other in a competition base can win the prize money off just one fish .

MAJOR difference ......selective kill vs indiscriminate / overkill

Hookem_Herby
25-10-2005, 08:13 AM
Well said Billo .... plus 50K is the total prize pool NOT 1st prize ... at least that's how I read it! :P

Thanks for the heads up Spiro. Dave, I'll have the other deckie spot ;D :-X

Herby

caloundra
25-10-2005, 08:52 AM

it is 50k worth of prizes in total
it is NOT cash,
1st prize is a boat and there is heaps of other stuff like rods reels ect aswell

-spiro-
25-10-2005, 09:08 AM
Jitlands----GO AWAY
That is why i put add on anymore info!!!
There are a few of us that have commitmants and cannot go to far away fishing comp's. So this one is close and i didn't state money i said PRIZES. 8-)

Jitlands
25-10-2005, 11:01 AM
Sorta missing my point Spiro.
I questioned the use of fish stocks for reward be it cash or other goods.

Billos response highlighted the catch quantity and is a good point.

Your perceprtion that I don't have committments that stop me fishing comps is way off the mark. I'll drive the opposite direction to any comp.
When the flathead classic was on I got up an hour earlier and fished Northern rivers to avoid it despite living 10 min from southport.

I would like to know what you think the competitor numbers would be like if there was no prizes.

What about the value of a comp where all entry fees and prizes where donated to local restocking and landcare groups with the winner recieving a pat on the back? But would you get viable numbers?

Imagine the impact of $50K on Baroon Pocket or Lake Macdonald stocking?

To each his own but I just don't get this fishing comp thing and have concerns how these events are viewed by the non fishing public and what amunition they give the lunatic green fringe, the animal rights movements and the pro's.

browndog
25-10-2005, 11:37 AM
Jitlands i think your argument is way off the mark.It is not a comp to see
who can catch the most fish but about testing your skills against other
anglers in catching the biggest fish.Who gives a rates about the money or prizes anyway its more about the bragging rights,and the social get
together.
Just a reminder but most comps now have a catch and release
section which keeps impact to a minimum.
Cheers browndog ::) ::)

Billo
25-10-2005, 02:09 PM
Jitlands ...
I for one would still fish a comp when no prizes were involved ....it is the friendly competition i enjoy !

If you have not fished comp , you probably would not understand the emotions behind a lot of the anglers ( i will not say all as there is always exceptions )

Quite often you find that in a fishing competitive environment , more pressure is put on each other from the top level fisho's down on environmental impact .

Clubs these days are also turning point scoring towards tag and release , where size does not matter and less points awarded for capture and not so highly awarded points for super light tac
kle ..this puts a lot of the points focused on healthy tag and release situations

Look at it this way

If a competition promotes healthy fishing methods and EDUCATES younger recreational anglers how to fish for a sustainable future ....then why bag it ?

Seriously , the comps of old where the biggets bucket of fish wins are LONG GONE in most parts of Australian comp .

On a side note Spiro , i am out of town that weekend ....will be down at port macquarie for the grandfathers 80th b'day( the old fishing tutour himself ) ...SPEWIN ! missed almost every comp this year...may take a few jew off the breakwall while i am down there # ;)

caloundra
25-10-2005, 02:38 PM
all the prizes are donated
and all of the entry fee goes to #RAD recreational association for the disabled
sounds like a great way to raise money for the kids

also most fish caught are donated to charitable organisation aswell

finding_time
25-10-2005, 03:21 PM
weather depending i'm in

Ian

sempre
25-10-2005, 07:55 PM
sempre will be there weather permitting
In response to you jitlands does that mean that you realease all of your catch every trip.sam.....

roz
25-10-2005, 09:01 PM
Jitlands,

What a bland existance it would be if people couldn't compete in a sport they love.

I think the difference between a 'shamateur' and a person who enters a fishing comp is clearly Intention to compete, the money is a bonus.

Why set out to be a total 'Fun Policeman'.

Cheers Roz

nofrills
25-10-2005, 10:27 PM
ILL BE THERE #;D

#fair dinkum jitlands ,
the only wise thing you said was'' to each his own''

# # YA BIG SOOKY LA LA # :'(

flip
26-10-2005, 08:47 PM
the sunshine coast river to reef fishing classic indeed has over $50,000 worth of prizes (all donated) to give away and yes the monies raised are going to rad an association that takes disabled kids fishing. something most of them would never experience without this association. the assoc aim is to upgrade their vessel to a wheel-chair friendly one with toilet etc aboard. the present boat is a familiar sight on the coast and works areas from the gold coast up to hervey bay. as boaties you will understand that many costs are involved in maintaining a boat let alone the insurances etc this assoc has to pay. fishing in the comp begins 12midnight thursday 3rd and you must be at the weigh-in by 3 pm sunday 6th. weigh-ins are 2pm to 5pm friday & saturday and 12 to3 pm sunday. live fish will be weighed from10am to 5pm friday & saturday and10am to 3pm sunday. i will definitely be there for the entertainment and social atmosphere. there is a band playing saturday night. should be the best river to reef yet. cheers

nofrills
01-11-2005, 09:24 PM
i spoke to Greg on {0418 256 5367} yesterday,

you can enter after 6pm on thursday at quad park but you must bring a passport photo for them to laminate onto your entrant ID.

i forgot to ask the price ::)

boats loaded,rigs are tied,HERE FISHY FISHY FISHY ;)

cheers scott

chemmy
01-11-2005, 10:33 PM
so is this comp on this weekend???

if so then i will be fishing else where like the bay for mackrel

i think i need a few more years experience before i enter. ::)

-spiro-
02-11-2005, 06:51 AM
What you talking about Chemmy. With your current catch's at the B/Banks you might win with that snapper you caught from last trip ;D

-spiro-
02-11-2005, 06:53 AM
Thanks for that info Scott 8-) i am still waitting to see what the weather and conditions are going to be like..........we can only hope [smiley=angel.gif]

caloundra
02-11-2005, 04:07 PM
yeah lets hope the weather is good

chemmy give it a go mate what do you have to loose ?
you could win a new boat

Daniel

westie
02-11-2005, 04:31 PM
chemmy .... caloundra is right, but as for winning the Boat??? as I spoke to Daniel today in person and it seems he may have a name ready for it.

So go fourth young man and kick his stern ;D

Dave
02-11-2005, 09:38 PM
Hainsey will be there if weather is good. Mabey not for the comp but hopefully to get some fish and meet a few fellow ausfishers.

Dave

chemmy
03-11-2005, 07:31 AM
i am starting to sereosly think about it but i have to see what dad is doing if i had my own car then i would be in no questions asked

chemmy
03-11-2005, 07:34 AM
is it 16 and under or under 16 years of age? and can you enter over the phone or do you have to drive all the way up there???

Jeremy
03-11-2005, 08:29 AM
Sadly, I believe there are still some comps which promote major fish kills, such as run by the Qld Amareur fisherman's association (QAFCA?). Based on number of fish and total weight. Correct me if I am wrong.

But I think most comps these days include a catch and release section and prizes are awarded for biggest of species, rather than most fish or total weight.

ANSA comps are run on points with a maximum of 5 fish weighed per angler. Points are worked out based on the 'fighting factor' of the fish and the line class used.

I am a big fan of these comps. I reckon it is alot of fun, the social aspect can be good, and the competitive aspect makes you fish harder and I reckon your skills improve as you try harder over the years. There are no big prizes available for the ANSA comps, but lots of smaller stuff. Main thing is the bragging rights.

Jeremy