PDA

View Full Version : Awoonga  M&G 5th & 6th Nov

CQ_Fisher
14-09-2005, 04:52 PM
Gday everyone,

Ive been talking to our resident Lake Awoonga Barra Guru, Trev (AKA Awoonga) and he has been kind enough to volunteer his time to conduct a barra fishing class/seminar, nothing too formal but simply a get together where Trev can show us some pointers and tips on how to better our chances of catching some of the huge barra that he's been teasing us with photos of over the past few months. #Location would #preferrably be at Awoonga so we can put our newly learned talents to the test ASAP and also camp the night out there so we can all get on the piss after fishing. #In order to fit in with Trev, the M&G would have to be on one of the 1st 2 weekends in November.

Good onya Trev for offering your expert advise to fellow ausfishers, i know it will be greatly appreciated as i for one need all the bloody help i can get #[smiley=help.gif] #One thing i would like to add is that there should be NO requests for specific locations on where to catch the big ones, Trev's advice and tips should be more than enough info to assist.

So there you have it, topic is now up for further discussion.

Cheers
JD

NeilD
14-09-2005, 05:04 PM
That sounds pretty good to me. I would love to have a crack at some of those horse Barra up there.
Is Awoonga feasable for a weekend?

Neil

darryl_l
14-09-2005, 05:15 PM
I will be fishing AWONGA for he week between the first and second weekends in November. Can't get there before Monday 7th must leave Sat 13th so hope it is Satuday morn 13th

Darryl L

finding_time
14-09-2005, 05:18 PM
Great Idea!! I reckon three days is worth while from brissy any less is a bit of a stretch.

I'm suprised Awoonga has time to conduct a class he's generally run of his feet with work ;)
Ian

agnes_jack
14-09-2005, 05:42 PM
Sounds good to me!!

Pash67
14-09-2005, 08:04 PM
I'm in.

Adrian

dasher
14-09-2005, 08:06 PM
I would recommend this to anyone even thinking about fishing barra. Trev came to our camp and spent a lot of his time before going to work telling us how to catch the barra. The man is a legend and should not be missed if you have the chance.

P.S. Tony, are you going to give Jack lessons mate.??????

propdinger
14-09-2005, 08:30 PM
if your thinking of camping at the caravan park make sure you book as early as you can cause it get pretty full (like right now)

bay_firey
14-09-2005, 10:31 PM
I am In definately

With the wife being a Scout Leader I may have an in to be able to camp at the Scout camp at Awoonga for 3 parts of stuff all, and we get to use all the amenties, camp kitchen etc, and it won't matter how many are in the camping ground ??

I will get the cheese and kisses to make some enquiries .

Needmorerum
14-09-2005, 10:49 PM
Try not to make it the weekend of the 13th November. I'm going away that weekend. It would be a shame to miss something that is so close to home.
Other than that, I'm in.

Corry

Jeremy
15-09-2005, 08:09 AM
I will be fishing AWONGA for he week between the first and second weekends in November. Can't get there before Monday 7th must leave Sat 13th so hope it is Satuday morn 13th

Darryl L

I am also up there from the 7-13th. Keep in mind that the Barra Tour runs on the 11-12th, so it will be busy that weekend. Keen for a M&G if it can be organised.

Jeremy

CQ_Fisher
15-09-2005, 01:37 PM
OK I have confirmation of dates and it will be Saturday 5th & Sunday 6th November. Apologies for those that have already expressed their interests but cannot make these specific dates. I'm still doing a bit more homework on the whole thing and im about to head out to Awoonga Caravan Park this afternoon to find out about vacancies, etc.

Mark, I'm keen to hear how "the cheese and kisses" ;D gets on with the scout camping ground, please advise once you know more.

Cheers
JD

Needmorerum
15-09-2005, 07:46 PM
Sounds like we will need to test it out next week JD. Bit of practice of an afternoon would be needed. What do ya think? I've got no kids during the week.

Corry

Kendall
16-09-2005, 05:29 AM
5th and 6th Sounds good, might fit in well with my trip north. I am keen for more info on the camping situation as it comes in and will get back to you with a definate yes or no.
Kendall

Kendall
16-09-2005, 06:26 AM
:-[ :-[
just checked my calendar and worked out the months correctly. Damit I will be back at work by then, it is October I’m heading north :-/
Will miss yet another gathering of fine Ausfishers, not to mention a not to be missed lesson on barra
Hate that....
Kendall

bay_firey
16-09-2005, 08:15 PM
OK

Have some basics to get started,

To have use of the Dorms, kitchen, shower, toilets etc is $3.50 per person per night

We will need to provide gas lights to save the "hassell and cost" of running the generator for 1 night.
There is no refrigeration, so ice and esky will the go

Obviously the area will need to be clean and tidy upon departure.

The nominated weekend is open and we will have the place to ourselves.

We will need to start to put some numbers together so that we can set a firm booking

DNO40
16-09-2005, 09:38 PM
This is getting big,

Will Derek be giving Camp Oven cooking lessons besides Trevors Barra talks and Knot tying lessons ?

Perhaps even a Scout Badge or two can be attained during the course of the weekend.

DNO

Needmorerum
16-09-2005, 09:45 PM
Where abouts is the Scout camping ground. It's over near the Archery club isn't it? Do we want to stay on that side of the dam, or do we want to bush camp it over the other side. I'm easy, just throwing ideas around.

Corry

DNO40
16-09-2005, 09:49 PM
I actually think its back at Pikes crossing. I will be over the other side somewhere's.

DNO

Awoonga
17-09-2005, 05:59 AM
#Knots... Knots... l couldnt tie a fishing knot to save my life.... ;D ;D ;D ;D . ok #l am told that the Scout hut is just past the Bowhunters place....near the dam.... #Want to make this M&G so we all learn something #The day you dont learn something is a day wasted....Will there be a test ?....Yes .....to get a pass mark you must catch a barra.....So if you intend to come bring your P.M.A............Positive...Mental.Attitude ......................and dont forget your rods and reels

Richard
17-09-2005, 07:36 AM
Hmmmm... Awoonga,

Can I bring my big electric rod and reel :)

Or would that be cheating ?

Richard

agnes_jack
17-09-2005, 08:03 AM
I'm in one way or another!!!

Regards, Tony

TonyM
17-09-2005, 12:26 PM
hmmmm Should have the new boat by then.....

If I can square it with the trouble and strife good chance I'm in - hmmm better make sure I get some more creature comforts in the camping gear so the family gets used to more boating camping trips.. I can feel a few coming on! :D

wheezer
17-09-2005, 12:32 PM
I think I'm in!

NeilD
17-09-2005, 01:46 PM
This is sounding pretty good. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Just a couple of questions

How many hours/kms from Nth side of Brisbane are we talking about?

What chance do first timers with salt in their veins have at cracking a good fish?

What else do you get there apart from Barra and Redclaw?

Can we leave boats in the water at these sites?

Looks pretty big on Google. Can we get a few pointers to set us off in the right direction?

Cheers
Neil

bay_firey
17-09-2005, 03:00 PM
As far as camping goes I am easy. tossed in the scout camp after a previous comment about the Caravan Park/ Camp ground getting busy/full quite quickly.
If the go is bush camping on the other side so be it, I WILL be there either way.
I am in for 2, me and the young bloke.

May even make the trip down Friday evening so as not to have to leave too early Sat morning, depending on the start time for the first lesson.

Awoonga
17-09-2005, 05:08 PM
Neil...... its 6 hours..good easy trip.....The reason for the m&g is to increase your chances....What else do we catch....catfish...........pointers..again reason for the meet &greet.....no... best not leave your boat in the water.... ;D ;D ;D

NeilD
18-09-2005, 09:05 AM
Thanks Awoonga. I will have to start practicing casting barra lures with my TLD 25 after seeing some of the fish being pulled out of the area.

Neil

agnes_jack
18-09-2005, 09:22 AM
Neil
after seeing the ones posted lately, I'm practising with my international!!!

Regards, Tony ;D ;D ;D ;D

TonyM
18-09-2005, 10:00 AM
Neil
after seeing the ones posted lately, I'm practising with my international!!!

Regards, Tony ;D ;D ;D ;D

hmmmm was going to set up a TLD15 for trolling but maybe that International 20 I've got in the garage on a full roller fenwwick igfa could have a use after all :-? ;D

Would certainly raise a few eyebrows trolling around the lake ;D

wheezer
18-09-2005, 07:53 PM
definitely in ;D

NEWBY
18-09-2005, 08:25 PM
Ok it's just around the corner for me and I am IN. Agnes Jack. It's another bloody good reason to sample Newby's private collection of Single Barrel after the sun goes down. Just one question, It is getting closer so has a decision been made on where the camp grounds are? I am happy to take a heap of gear over in the good ship "Carnelpya" if it's decided to be over the other side. (or canya drive there?) I also have sheeet loads (and I mean sheet loads) of camping gear so maybe we could economise on how many people have to bring a big heap of gear? I cant wait. Gotta love CQ. Great place to live.

Needmorerum
18-09-2005, 09:44 PM
If we are going over the back, you can launch from where the road is now cut off by the new water level. Most people leave their boats in the water overnight there as you are camping right on the waters edge.
Where we end up camping depends on whether everyone wants to bush camp it, or stay in the van park.

Corry

wheezer
19-09-2005, 08:26 AM
If we camp somewhere without power, what about topping up the 'lecky batteries? I'm pretty heavy on mine as I don't like to chance spooking fish and usually only get a day out of mine

NEWBY
19-09-2005, 08:48 PM
Bugger bugger bugger. Just checked the diary and that's the weekend of the Motoroworld Ball. I am the major sponsor so have to be there. Bugger I have to wear a penguin suit while you lot are fishing and drinking. BUGGER. :'(

McCod
20-09-2005, 03:59 AM
If we camp somewhere without power, what about topping up the 'lecky batteries? I'm pretty heavy on mine as I don't like to chance spooking fish and usually only get a day out of mine

Yeah bloke... good point.... not shore if i will be there yet? But will bring the little Honda 4 stroke generator if i do come ... its quiet as and should be good for 3 or 4 chargers and has a built in 8 amp charger. Maybe some fellow Ausfishos have something similar they can bring along.

CQ_Nomad .... is the Scout camp grounds where it's at for shore?
#

Cheers Les

Mossie
20-09-2005, 11:40 AM
Sounds great I will be on my way back from Cooktown and will try to get back on the friday arvo. Please advise were the camp will be.

Mossie

agnes_jack
20-09-2005, 11:58 AM
Newby!!!
Ya got me all excited for nothing!!
Oh well, more single barrel for the 1770 M&G ;D ;D ;D

Regards, Tony

wheezer
20-09-2005, 02:24 PM
Hey Les I bags one of your genny outputs! ;)

I guess it depends on how much running round on the big motor I gotta do, it has an 11amp alternator.

agnes_jack
20-09-2005, 02:52 PM
I can bring another generator if it's needed, just let me know!!

Regards, Tony

BigChiefBarra
20-09-2005, 08:32 PM
I know of a few blokes that would be very keen to get some more tips, me included.

Set a date and we'll be there !!!!!

terminaltackle
20-09-2005, 08:52 PM
This sounds like a bit of fun, on the camping side of things are there any cabins available in the area. As I am not familiar with Awoonga, are outboards allowed or is it electric only?? At this time it is looking promising, hope to see you all there
[smiley=sneaky.gif]

McCod
20-09-2005, 09:14 PM
This sounds like a bit of fun, on the camping side of things are there any cabins available in the area. #As I am not familiar with Awoonga, are outboards allowed or is it electric only?? At this time it is looking promising, hope to see you all there
[smiley=sneaky.gif]

Fat chance geting a cabin up that way that time of year.... Well ... close by anyway unless ya booked a year ago.... Ya may have to ruff it with the rest ;)
Any size donk is OK on Awoonga.

# Cheers Les

bay_firey
20-09-2005, 09:56 PM
As far as cabin go ?? If we camp at the scout camp we will have the use of the dorms
If we bush camp, can I book 2 spots for sleeping bags as I don't really want to lug the tent all the way down just for 1 night

Electricity - no tricity at the scout camp

McCod
20-09-2005, 10:14 PM
bay_firey..... there seems to be some confusion as to where it will be :-/
Anyone know were for shore ? As Trev " Awoonga" don,t even no yet...
The Scout camp grounds sound like the go.... especially for 1 night and the Scouts will get a few bucks as well.

Cheers Les

Needmorerum
20-09-2005, 10:31 PM
As alot of this is revolving around Trev, maybe he should have some input as to where is best to have everyone.

Corry

bay_firey
20-09-2005, 10:31 PM
I am with you 100% Les

And I think we are getting very close to having to put some firm plans in place for where we are going to camp.

My vote is for the scout camp - a lot less fuss for 1 or 2 nights

Oh yeah and what time are we kicking off on the Saturday ?? If it is too early I might make the trip down on Friday afternoon/evening ??

Awoonga
21-09-2005, 06:31 AM
I have sent a pm to Justin... Scout hut is my choice.....$5 a head for the scouts...We get a few gennys together for power...8 Bells sounds like a`good time to start

Pash67
21-09-2005, 07:49 AM
This is going to be big! Tony (agnes_jack), you know that there are Jacks in the dam as well. If Trevor runs out of steam (RSI in the casting arm) you might have to do a segment on catching the elusive Jack?

Adrian

Lucky_Phill
21-09-2005, 08:04 AM
First time I have looked in here. Reason ? I have just moved to Hervey Bay, and Awonga is now not that far up the road.

I am a saltie through and through, but hey, if ya can cast a lure at it, I need to have a shot.

I actually will be going to Awonga on the 7th Oct, for a day trip. Mainly to have look around, but certainly toss a lure or 3.

I think I need to target the garden variety of fish there, as the gear I'm taking is a tad on the light side. I have spoked to a couple of regulars that inhabit the place from time to time, and they have pointed me in a direction right or otherwise !

Another Ausfisher, who will remain nameless at this point in time, is spending a week there from 1st Oct, and he is borrowing / hiring my little Skanky Hoe , Stessl. So maybe the fish population will be used to the boat, and fear it not !

I dare say he will have a report up prior to you guys ( and me maybe ) getting there for the M & G, in Nov.

No rest for you Tony, 1770 and then to Awonga ? How's the liver going to handle that ?

Cheers Phill

bugman
21-09-2005, 08:51 AM
Gents,

You're killing me !!!!!

I think I know who Phil is referring to ;D

I don't think I can pass up another opportunity. So I'm saying "I'm in" at this stage and may bring a friend or two.

Trev - only two more weeks mate - two more weeks ;D

Bugman

dangordo
21-09-2005, 03:43 PM
Hey Guys,
Stumbled across this site today while looking up some Info. Im heading up to Awoonga for the second time in Oct and just wondering if there have been any reports of some good catches recently.

CQ_Fisher
21-09-2005, 06:09 PM
G'day Gents, aplogies for the delay as i havnt been on ausfish for a little while and it looks like this little M&G has grown a life of its own. I'm really impressed with the number of people interested in learning more about the elusive awoonga barra, especially those who are prepared to travel some distance to attend.

DATES: 8am Sat 5th & Sun 6th November.

PLACE: Scout Camp Grounds looks to be the majority vote so lets make it happen (booking yet to be confirmed) Mark, I've sent you a PM about this.

I'll also be talking to Trev tonight so i'll advise of any further updates over the next couple of days.

Cheers
JD

terminaltackle
21-09-2005, 07:28 PM
This sounds like a bit of fun, on the camping side of things are there any cabins available in the area. As I am not familiar with Awoonga, are outboards allowed or is it electric only?? At this time it is looking promising, hope to see you all there
[smiley=sneaky.gif]

Fat chance geting a cabin up that way that time of year.... Well ... close by anyway unless ya booked a year ago.... Ya may have to ruff it with the rest ;)
Any size donk is OK on Awoonga.

Cheers Les

Thanks for the info as for me I would sleep on a barb wire fence at the best of times, I was just susing it out for the family and the scout camp sounds like a goer, If this is the way it is going why not have people pay up front at least if the worst thing happens ( like work or any other financial problem that occurs) at least the scouts are going to get a bit of a gain for the weekend. I see $5.00 a head being considered, if so put me in for 4 and where do I send the money.

Brett

DNO40
22-09-2005, 05:41 AM
Sounds good Trev.

Pash67
22-09-2005, 07:24 AM
Can I have directions to the scout camp please. I will do a run out there and have a look if the gates aren't locked.

Adrian

Awoonga
22-09-2005, 12:47 PM
Just drive past the boat ramp...Left hand Side before you get to the bowhunters club

bay_firey
22-09-2005, 07:38 PM
OK
The scout camp is confirmed.

$5.00 per person, includes generator for lights and battery charging.

It would appear we can only sleep about 36 - 40 in the dorms, over that will have to roll out on the floor.

I am first in for for 2 dorm beds.

Starting time may have to be pushed back slightly as access to the camp won't be available until about 7.30 am.

I am happy to coordinate numbers if everyone is happy with that.
Either post definates here or shoot me a pm and I will post all the names up periodicly

Needmorerum
22-09-2005, 08:48 PM
Mark, I'm in for sure. Will have to confirm one extra at a later date.

Do you know if we have access to the ramp after the gates are locked, and can we get back out to make trips into town? Is the camp close to the water so we can leave boats in over night?

Cheers
Corry

bay_firey
22-09-2005, 09:07 PM
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Will find out and advise

Pash67
22-09-2005, 09:16 PM
Corry,
There are no gates at the dam any more. It is open 24hrs a day.

Trev,
How are your public speaking skills? Will you require a headset, speaker & a pedistal to put you on. Mayby crowd controllers?

I can here someone up the back saying, "He's not the messiah he's a very naughty boy"

Adrian

bay_firey
22-09-2005, 09:23 PM
Hope that answers your question Corry

agnes_jack
23-09-2005, 07:27 AM
Mark
Put me down for 2 bunks please mate!!

Regards, Tony

CQ_Fisher
23-09-2005, 08:48 AM
Yep, book me in for 1.

Trev and i were talking the other night and mentioned that we may need to try and get the scout camp for Friday night aswell to accommodate those who will be travelling to Gladstone/Awoonga on Friday afternoon/night.

Could those travelling please advise if this is going to be neccessary ASAP

Cheers
JD

Pash67
25-09-2005, 07:08 AM
I went and had a quick look at the scout camp site yesterday and it looks very good. I would not leave my boat in the water overnite as you cannot see it from the camp but there is ample parking at the camp for cars and trailers. The boat ramp is only about 1.5 klms from the camp. There is a dirt track leading from the water up to the camp but I did not have a look at it, will endevor to do that.
Will let you know more about it soon.

Adrian

bay_firey
25-09-2005, 08:34 AM
Probably going to take a run down today to have a peek at the camp

bay_firey
26-09-2005, 06:31 PM
Well been down for a look

There were some scouts from Gladstone there so got to have a look inside the main building

Sleeps 26, mainly double bunks, so if you have a preference please let me know when you book a bunk.

We will be very comfortable there

Needmorerum
26-09-2005, 07:13 PM
Mark, I'll book a top and bottom bunk, thanks.

Corry

Owen
26-09-2005, 07:30 PM
I probably won't get there :'(
Will just be arriving back from OS and then have to shift house.
Maybe someone could video some of it?
Sounds like it'll have more extras than a Cecil B Demille epic :o
cheers,
Owen

bugman
29-09-2005, 12:21 PM
Gents

I would like to book a top and bottom bunk as well please - confirming 2 bunks for both Friday and Saturday night.

Sounds great

Coke
30-09-2005, 02:31 PM
Am pretty sure I can make it. I will confirm. As I don't have camping gear, I will have to try to book in at the caravan park. Hopefully the rebuilding of my boat will be finished by then - if not that will pose another problem.

Cheers
Grahame

otleyj
04-10-2005, 06:25 AM
This one has generated plenty of interest. Count me in for one spot. Will bring the swag if short on bunks.

Joel

Needmorerum
04-10-2005, 06:59 PM
Joel, welcome to Ausfish, bet you had some influence from someone (DNO) to join up here hey. You might have to share some of you Lure secrets if you hang around here too much.
Looking forward to Awoonga,
See you there,

Corry

DNO40
04-10-2005, 09:32 PM
Spill the beans Joel...... What Lure secrets ?

DNO

bosso
06-10-2005, 08:33 PM
count me in and ill bring my brother. so book me for two bunks please. sounds like great fun. see you all there

and DNO y wont u tell my little brother where you got your barra he keeps asking me if i know where you got it. he said that he is sick of the suspense. mark told you where to get those big whiting

cheers bosso

DNO40
06-10-2005, 09:30 PM
Bosso,

Check your PM's

Mark (Bay_Firey)

How many bunks are left ? I suppose I should book two of those for myself and son.

Thanks

DNO

Needmorerum
06-10-2005, 10:36 PM
Bosso,

Check your PM's

DNO

Awwwe, c'mon, share the love.

Corry

DNO40
07-10-2005, 05:46 AM
Gimme a break Guy's, I just got lucky that day. As for "secret spots", well you only have to read the posts and try your luck in different places. There is a lot of useful info in some earlier posts.

I will gladly share the little I know though if you think it will help you, as I believe there is enough for all.

The B52's in silver have been working OK.
And the RMG Scorpions in the Bleeding mullet worked good .
Don't think ya will get any exact locations as every man and his dog will be there and the barra are moving around a lot and may not be there every day. Find some hot water and work it well... keep the noise level down and don't run ya petrol outboard anywhere near a good looking spot as it will spook the fish. Cheers Les

6 different types of ground were fished. Lillies, trees, flats, rocks, weeds, open water. Barra live in almost all places in Awoonga, in any direction from the ramp.
Best of Luck,
Johnny M
Lake Awoonga Guided Barra Fishing Charters

You must read the posts and digest all that is available. These snippetts are just a fraction of the info available if you have the time to read back through the posts.

DNO

bay_firey
07-10-2005, 07:22 PM
Ok we have used up 16 of the bunks so far

Please let me know if any details are incorrect or any one is missing

Name How many Top Bottom
Bay_Firey - 2 1 1
Awoonga 1
Agnes_Jack 2
CQ_Nomad 1
Corry 2 1 1
Bug Man 2 1 1
Jotley 1
Coke 1
Jack_Attack 2
CQ_Hornet 2 1 1

PG
11-10-2005, 06:24 AM
Bay_Firey, put me down for two bunks please. I'll bring my 14 yr old son along for the weekend. We'll come down Friday afternoon if that's still an option.
I'll bring the tinny but we have a two-man canoe if anyone's interested in paddling for Barra?

DNO40
11-10-2005, 12:12 PM
Mark,

A mate has also requested that I book him 2 bunks if at all possible, they are both AUSFISH wannabe's.

DNO

otleyj
11-10-2005, 07:52 PM
I'm interested in finding out a little bit more about the stocking program at Awoonga. Any chance this could be a discussion item over the weekend?

Cheers
Joel

DNO40
11-10-2005, 08:45 PM
Joel,

Have a look at the following link

http://www.gawb.qld.gov.au/hatchery.htm

if you haven't already and or give Andrew a ring at the Hatchery

Hatchery:
Ph: (07) 4972 9548
Fax: (07) 4972 9548

DNO

bugman
12-10-2005, 09:19 AM
Gents,

My fishing partner has had to withdraw as he's tied up making shipwreck history offshore. I may have another by them I'm not sure.

I think it would be best for me to give up the two bunks I booked at this stage and work out acommodation if we make the decision to go in the week before.

Brett

DNO40
12-10-2005, 12:18 PM
Were not that bad Brett, you don't have to go making excuses. Honesty is the best policy.

DNO

Cloud_9
16-10-2005, 08:22 AM
would luv to attend but headed there for the 28th to the 30th.
im a newby to the Barra too ill be ticked off if i strike out.
all the gear and NFI
Cheers Cloud 9

bay_firey
16-10-2005, 06:21 PM
Brett

Still got a bit of space, so at this stage I will just leave you on the list and give the beds away if needs be

DNO40
17-10-2005, 06:18 AM
C9,

28th to the 30th - Catfish classic at Awoonga

(Lions Family Fish Festival - People and boats everywhere.)

DNO

coraltrout68
21-10-2005, 09:32 PM
I just cant get to Awoonga on that weekend, would it be possible to post some notes from the meeting on this Ausfish site??

Cheers

Shane

CQ_Fisher
24-10-2005, 10:19 AM
shouldnt be a problem.

JD

coraltrout68
24-10-2005, 05:20 PM
Thanks JD, Look forward to that.

Shane

Mugil
25-10-2005, 10:55 AM
Hi Chaps

I will be at Awoonga with some workmates on one of the Pelican houseboats (is there more than one?) from Sunday morning the 6th til Tues morning the 8th.
Won’t be able to catch up onshore or regrettably hear Awoonga’s advice but have hopefully picked up enough pointers from this forum and guess the houseboat owner should have some good info as well.
If any of you are nearby look for my tinny(3.7 unpainted Stessl with bowrail and 20hp Mariner) and come and say g’day. Should be either tied up to or in the vicinity of the houseboat. Would appreciate exchanging notes.

Cheers

Geoff

bay_firey
25-10-2005, 05:37 PM
Ok
Time for some definates
I have so far
Name How many Top Bottom
Bay_Firey - 2 1 1
Awoonga 1
Agnes_Jack 2
CQ_Nomad 1
Corry 2 1 1
Bug Man 2 1 1
Jotley 1
Coke 1
Jack_Attack 2
CQ_Hornet 4 1 1
PaulG 2 Friday
Dehydrated 2

I am going to come down Friday Afternoon, I will be leaving Rocky after School is out so should be down there by about 5.00 - 5.30pm

Do I have any more starters for Friday Night ??

Please confirm your details now

PG
25-10-2005, 10:48 PM
I'm definately up for 4 now if that's oK. My son, a mate, brother and myself and we'll be leaving Rocky Friday afternoon some time after school is done. I don't expect to be there until about 6. I'd also like to know more about what we need to bring. Sleeping bag, esky, food etc but folding chairs? BBQ plate? and how much cost is involved per night per head.
Looking forward to it very much, will be good to get away for a couple of days and learn from those who know.
If Friday night is not a goer. let me know, it's no trouble to make an early start Saturday.
Cheers,
Paul.

bay_firey
26-10-2005, 06:15 PM
Paul

The bunks all have mattresses but you will need sleeping bag / sheets.
Obviously your food and of course any medicine you may need for Saturday Evening.
Chairs never go astray although there are a few BBQ Table / chair settings there, the BBQ tables are not all that close to the fire pit so maybe a chair or 2

bay_firey
26-10-2005, 06:17 PM
The cost for the weekend will be

$5.00 per head per night - Payable to me over the weekend so I can settle up when I hand the keys back

This gets us all the amenities - Hot shower, toilets, dorms, bbq area, Generator etc etc

NEWBY
26-10-2005, 08:39 PM
HEY CORRY,
You gonna be there on the Friday night?

NEWBY

DNO40
27-10-2005, 05:54 AM
Mark,

My son and I will be there Friday and Saturday nights, The two other Bunks that were requested for the Wannabe Ausfishers will not be staying now and only doing a Saturday Visit, so the two extras will not be required.

DNO

PG
27-10-2005, 07:37 AM
Mark, Thanks heaps, sounds great to me, looking forward to it.

agnes_jack
27-10-2005, 09:05 AM
Bay firey
I will now be on my own from the look of things, so 1 bunk for me at this stage.
I will be there for the friday and saturday nights.
Can't wait !!!!

Regards, Tony

CQ_Fisher
27-10-2005, 04:10 PM
looks like everything is coming together nicely. Top effort on sorting out the accommodation Mark. I'm keen as mustard and counting the days. I'll be there bright and early on Saturday morning. See you then.

Cheers
JD

bosso
27-10-2005, 08:42 PM
sorry but i will have to give those two bunks back as im having a few problems with my brother and he wont let me use MY BOAT that weekend [smiley=angryfire.gif] [smiley=furious2.gif] [smiley=furious2.gif] cause im using it this weekend. maybe next time ey :)
cheers

Needmorerum
28-10-2005, 07:40 PM
Sorry guys, looks like I might be another one to pull out. I have double booked myself for the weekend and have committed myself for a trip to Bundaberg for the Bundy Thunder Powerboat Racing.
I'm gunna have to pull out for the weekend. If I can, I might try and get out on Friday night to say gidday to those going early, see how things are going at the time.

Apologies Mark,
Corry

PS. Newby, will have to catch up to have a drink and chat about your Indy weekend. Heard on the grapevine that you may have some good stories to tell.

agnes_jack
29-10-2005, 10:41 AM
JD
If your not getting there till sat morn, I will take my boat as well.
It's fairly new and I havn't had her out much yet so I don't think I could handle being without her :-/ I will probably sneak out for a fish on the friday night and a crack of dawn attak sat morn.

And I also want to give the lowrance x107 cdf a shot on the fresh water at the dam. We can co-ordinate when I see ya.

Regards, Tony

theoldlegend
29-10-2005, 11:59 AM
Corry,

Just read your post where you reckon Newby might have some stories about Indy. Don't forget me maaaate!!

I nearly got there last Sunday, but there was a mix up with tickets or something. Anyway Sam, our next door neighbour, reckons she should be able to get me a 4 day pass or two for next year.

TOL

DNO40
30-10-2005, 05:56 AM
If Corrys not going .......... JD should stay healthy this trip ;)

DNO

agnes_jack
30-10-2005, 09:00 AM
DNO
No way JD is gunna stay healthy ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D (I'll see to that) ::)

I,m back to 2 bunks again !!!!!

Regards, Tony

Awoonga
30-10-2005, 11:40 AM
Bring your Boats....About a Hour each on the water ...After the chat......No not to show you my spots ;D ;D... just a bit of individual tuition....Its good to tell ....even better to show....

NormC
30-10-2005, 01:17 PM
Guys, although I've been registered on Ausfish for quite a while, I'm far from active. Just read through the thread on the Awoonga week-end. Sounds fantastic.

Am I too late to join in?

Are there any women coming? ie is it OK to bring the wife?

I have two set ups. One is with camper trailer (fully self sufficient) and a fishing canoe with Min Kota.

The other is a 5.25m aluminium boat with 115HP outboard.

The first will be best for comfort (particularly since we would be travelling from Gold Coast). But how is the lake for fishing from a canoe? Are there good spots close in as the canoe is obviously a lot!!!! slower than the boat.

Enough questions for now until I know if I can fit in. Just sorry I didn't find you earlier as I have never been barra fishing and would like to learn about it. Only impoundment fishing I have done is for Bass on Hinze Dam.

Norm C

bay_firey
30-10-2005, 06:00 PM
Norm

I think we could fit you in.
We ahve got the scout camp organised for sleeping you are welcome to a couple of bunks if you want them
As far as a canooe - Awoonga is a Bloody BIG dam

bay_firey
30-10-2005, 07:51 PM
Have organised the gate keeper to meet me at the camp on Friday at around 5.00pm.

See all the early starters around that time

The Mozzies are fairly active so don't forget the aerogaurd and have a good weekend (you too Mr Walker) ;D

NormC
30-10-2005, 08:04 PM
Thanks Mark, but don't think it is going to work. Wife's not keen as it looks like she would be the only female. Says it might cramp the blokes style. She is probably right. A bit far to travel on my own.

Son would love to come, but he has to work. Not as much fun, but much more important.

Guess I've have to get to Awoonga another time.

I'll watch the thread to get some reports.

Hope you all have a ball and get amoung the big ones.

agnes_jack
31-10-2005, 08:59 AM
Trev
Whats the lure recomendations mate??????

Regards, Tony

Awoonga
31-10-2005, 01:01 PM
Tony.... ones with hooks on em...And when you are looking at your vast array in your shop....Just remember ...one for tony.... one for Trev...One..for...... ;D....ok ok um....gee how would l know :o Make sure them hooks are sharp

agnes_jack
31-10-2005, 01:49 PM
Clear as mud mate, clear as mud

Regards, Tony ;D ;D ;D

Dehydrated
31-10-2005, 05:18 PM
Hi Guys,

Have told Mark that my mate Pete and myself will be getting down for this M&G, so I thought it was about time that I posted something on the main thread. Being my first time on this dam and a freshwater novice, I am really looking forward to meeting and learning something from all of the "gurus" of Awoonga and also being able to put some serious hours fishing for these magic Barra.

Hopefully I will be able to find the Scout Camp easily. Has a start time been finalised for the Saturday Morning yet and is everyone meeting at the Scout Camp?

Cheers
Don.

Awoonga
31-10-2005, 06:28 PM
How about 8 am...At this stage Andrew from the hatchery will come and have a chat after lunch

CQ_Fisher
01-11-2005, 10:30 AM
Dont you blokes worry about my health, i'll be fighting fit ;) as long as Corry and his home brew rum stays away ;D

Tony,
I definately wont be able to make it out Friday night so i'll catch up with you Saturday morning.

See you all at the scout camp for an 8am start to proceedings.

Cheers
JD

DNO40
01-11-2005, 12:22 PM
...And when you are looking at your vast array in your shop....Just remember ...one for tony.... one for Trev...One..for...... ;

That last one was meant to read one for DNO

DNO

bugman
01-11-2005, 12:28 PM
Trev,

Tell Andrew he promised me a hat but didn't deliver for the tagged big girl we got up there in October.

He mentioned he might drop it into the caravan park so there's a possibility someone you know and love may have pocketed it >:(

Awoonga
01-11-2005, 12:56 PM
Hat ...ahh the hat .... bit tight...see what l can do... you must have a ABC news hat somewhere swap you....

bosso
01-11-2005, 04:11 PM
hi im back ill have 1 bunk please as agnes_jack has offered me a seat in his boat thanks mate :)

DNO40
02-11-2005, 05:57 AM
Who if any...... is fishing friday evening ?

DNO

agnes_jack
02-11-2005, 07:42 AM
I should be up there on the friday evening.

Regards, Tony.

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
02-11-2005, 09:53 AM
I'm dyin to ask if i can come???????(said with a cheeky smile)

harry_h01
02-11-2005, 11:18 AM
I'm going to try and get released on Saturday morning to say hi and to meet a few fellow Ausfishers.

Unfortunately I can't be fishing as to much going on at home, but a chance to come and say is on the cards.

Harry

DNO40
02-11-2005, 12:36 PM
Johnny,

I thought you were coming anyway. Trevor said that you were going to show us all your fishing spots and assist with the one on one lessons.

(also said with a cheeky smile)

DNO

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
02-11-2005, 08:59 PM
:) I'd be out of puff after the first night , :-X and if i told everyone my li'l fishin' secrets, there would be no need anymore for a guide on Lake Awoonga, and it would be back to the drawing board for me. Trev will be right, he'll handle it, and he should enjoy the pressure of a million questions!
Good luck on the weekend.
Johnny M

Pete_G
04-11-2005, 12:39 PM
G'day all, have only just recently moved to the CQ area and acquired a boat. If its not all to late, myself and another fella will make it down for the Sat monday start.

Awoonga
04-11-2005, 06:49 PM
Pete no problems mate just bring a chair