PDA

View Full Version : A Reverse GPS Map?

Duyz72
03-11-2005, 05:23 PM
Does anyone know of a 'reverse' GPS Map? Where you punch in your GPS Long and Lat, and it will show you where you were on a map? It would be great if it could zoom in too [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] rather than a dot on the globe and of course even better if it was a satellite pic!

Or am I just asking a bit too much you think?

Heath
03-11-2005, 05:24 PM
Google Earth is what you want!
http://earth.google.com/

Duyz72
03-11-2005, 07:15 PM
I've tried that but the PC is not quite up to coping with it

theoldlegend
04-11-2005, 04:40 AM
One of my daughters got into Google earth and came up with a satellite photo of the immediate neighbourhood with our house roughly in the middle. She then made it into a screen saver for me. Took a fair while though. The pic is about 500 metres by 500 metres, but I guess you can make it to suit yourself.

Not sure if you can key in lat & long though. Would be good if you could.

TOL

25_ponies
04-11-2005, 07:13 AM
That's exactly how Google Earth works. You can enter a GPS location and it will show you a satellite or aerial photo of that spot at any level of zoom you want. You can also use it the other way around - pick an interesting spot and note the GPS co-ordinates that are displayed wherever your mouse pointer is, then enter those in your GPS.

GBC
04-11-2005, 08:40 AM
Be very careful if using google earth for checking out bars etc as the photos are aged. I zoomed in on my house and saw my old cruisecraft outsider (small tear in the eye...), which hasn't been parked there for two years.

Mad_Barry
04-11-2005, 08:42 AM
The pic is about 500 metres by 500 metres,

Holy Moly, so how big is your screen ?

sorry couldn't resist. :P

There is also Nasa World Wind. (it was pre google earth) not quite as user friendly, but you download the map to your comp, rather that accessing it over the net. Bloody big though. get someone on broadband or at work to do it for you. I think Aus (or maybe just QLD ?) was 180 meg.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
05-11-2005, 08:52 AM
Does anyone know of a 'reverse' GPS Map? #Where you punch in your GPS Long and Lat, and it will show you where you were on a map? #It would be great if it could zoom in too #[smiley=2thumbsup.gif] rather than a dot on the globe and of course even better if it was a satellite pic!

Or am I just asking a bit too much you think?

the first time I read your thread I thought you were describing the Go To function on my Lowrance - it will descibe a trail to that location or you can use it just to locate that spot...

You need a navionics map background to see that spot in relation to the big picture rather than just in relation to your current position.

It does all other sorts of cool stuff like calculate travel time based on current speed, fuel useage & even accomodation or watering holes nearby.

then I thought - is he saying use a satellite image as the background for a navionics map - imagine a live image from the satelites that fixing you or similar whooooaaaaa . I reckon it will happen.

still won't catch any fish but at least I'll have something to watch #;)

Duyz72
05-11-2005, 12:49 PM
Chris - but then we all would know "how big" the one that got away really was!

marzoe
05-11-2005, 07:29 PM
I'm not sure how accurate Google Earth marks are either.
I tried to enter lat and long marks for a known point and it was way off.
It might be good for a round about idea.
A lot of the coast line isn't on the program either.
Especially up north.

25_ponies
06-11-2005, 08:05 AM
Marzoe, I find it pretty good. If I go into my front yard with my h/held GPS and take the co-ords, then come back and enter them into GE, it's within 10m of where I was standing.

Agree with the coastal coverage tho, still lo-res in a lot of areas that Ausfish people are interested in. It does get updated tho - a friend bought a house in Ipswich back in July. I had a look with GE and it was low-res. By them time they have moved in (early Sept), it was available in hi-res. If you turn on the "DG Coverage" overlays you can see when the shot was taken.