PDA

View Full Version : Rex Hunt bashing... story from the other side.

rajawolf
04-11-2005, 01:59 AM
Maybe this is why no complaint was lodge with police.! ::)

The father of one of the youths involved in a Byron Bay street brawl with Rex Hunt has vehemently rejected the TV fisherman's claims of an unprovoked attack, and has called for a public apology.

Steven, who asked for his surname to be withheld, said the exchange began when Mr Hunt dropped a pair of sunglasses as he and his family made their way down busy Jonson St last Friday night.

A verbal exchange followed after one of the youths stooped to pick them up for Mr Hunt.

"He just snarled at the boys and told them to bugger off," Steven said yesterday.

The groups were separated before Mr Hunt's son, Matthew, allegedly lashed out, striking one of the youths and sparking the brawl, Steven said.

He denied Mr Hunt's claims that 15 youths were involved, saying there were only six and "not all of them were involved in the fighting".

Steven's son Josh, 16, said he and two others, aged 17 and 15, took part in the brawl. He did not deny that Matthew Hunt had been kicked as he lay on the ground in the 10-minute fracas, but rejected Mr Hunt's claims that a glass had been used as a weapon, or that tourists had been targeted.

"I work in the tourism industry so why would I do that? We need the tourists. I don't have anything against them," he said. "In the surf there might be some aggression or exchanges, but not on the streets."

Josh said that at one stage he had been pushed against a wall by Mr Hunt, who told him: "I pay my taxes so you can eat."

One of the youths was taken to hospital for stitches after being struck with the heel of a stiletto shoe, Josh said.

Josh said he and the others were embarrassed and worried by claims attributed to Mr Hunt that he would pursue legal action against the parents of those involved.

"This has upset the boys. I'm worried my son could lose his job," Steven said. "Mr Hunt's version of events is just not true and he should apologise."

Mr Hunt was not available for comment yesterday, and is yet to lodge a complaint with police.

Mick_the_Fish
04-11-2005, 05:54 AM
Always good to hear the other side of the story. The media is very quick to jump on the bandwagon, especially if there is a media personality involved. Do not condone kicking a man when he is down though.

Thanks for the other side 8-)

DICER
04-11-2005, 05:58 AM
How much do you believe the media and stories?

Stumpthumpa
04-11-2005, 07:29 AM
Thanks Rajawolf for posting this. I live in Byron Bay and have done for over 30 years. It seems that the other posts on this topic have given everyone a chance to vent their spleen so maybe now some reason can be applied.

I was away chasing Barra in Prossie when this happened and so my information is not first hand - like everyone else here, but it seems there are some big conflicts in the stories going around. Hopefully the truth will surface. Byron Bay is like many coastal towns - loved to death and sure, overhyped. That said the issues faced here are no different to other places and a sad reflection on society in general nowdays.

fishingnottake
04-11-2005, 07:54 AM
sounds to me like someone's trying to cover their ass for not knowing what their kids were up to, there are a few irrefutable facts in this case, one, is the amount of people involved, the hunts weren;t the only witness' and this joker seems to of forgottent hat, and secondly rex had to have glass removed from his head, after having it ground in by some weak little @#$%, this is just spin cooked up by a worried parent/kids looking at actual consequences for their actions, and no doubt pushed as much as possible behind the scenes by the byron council etc looking down the barrel in a drought in tourisim.

kleiny
04-11-2005, 07:59 AM
i think both stories are a load of Sh!t, somewhere in between both stories is more than likely what happened.
my thoughts
kleiny

Lucky_Phill
04-11-2005, 08:28 AM
Off topic replies have been moved to This Thread

rajawolf
06-11-2005, 03:00 PM
Geezzus Phil...

Thought I was going crazy...I seen this thread and thought did I hit submit twice when I started it... ::)

bomber202
06-11-2005, 04:04 PM
`believe me Mr Rajawolf the police were notified and are investigating.