PDA

View Full Version : calias in the drink

robersl
02-11-2005, 06:29 PM
just saw on the news fellow helping his mate launch a jet ski down the coast way put his calais in reverse instead of forward he is feeling a bit foolish now not showing his face to the camera and yes the car sank

bungie
02-11-2005, 06:53 PM
But did you see how fast the ramp disappeared six feet in and the water must have been eight feet deep :o

robersl
02-11-2005, 07:19 PM
yep

Hookem_Herby
02-11-2005, 07:33 PM
What's the bet he floored it!!! ;D Just how fast does a V8 Calias go in reverse? .... AMAZNG :'(
Imagine snagging that on your 4lb fireline bream stick. :D ::)

blaze
02-11-2005, 08:47 PM
mmmmmmmmm , does the jet ski sink? whats the possiblity of insurance fraud?

Hookem_Herby
02-11-2005, 09:18 PM
Nah mate ... :D One of the blokes was already on the water aboard the jetski .... the other in the car! They had launched and he was driving off the ramp, well ... tried!!! ;D
He almost drowned the cops reckon so I doubt it was insurance fraud ... just bloody stoopid!
Charter boat ... what charter boat!!! :P
Cheers,
Herby

StevenM
03-11-2005, 07:04 AM
Yeah classic, might keep anouther jet ski off the water for a while.

Black_Rat
03-11-2005, 07:07 AM
Yeah the poor fella wasn't to keen on showing his face ::) ;D

SCOTTYGC
03-11-2005, 07:54 AM
it made the front page of the gold coast paper

the car owner was from sydney and had never used that ramp before he said he had trouble with the gaers
apprently the ramp drops off very sharply

the number plate on the car is "amazing"

scotty

bigmack
03-11-2005, 08:14 AM
who leaves a car in reverse on the ramp holding on by the handbrake?????

at least when our car sank it was attributed to the slime on the ramp and the steepness of the ramp. The weight of the boat on the rear of the trailer acted like a lever and lifted the rear of the car enough for the front wheels to start rolling and the rear wheels being on the slime - the whole lot just slid into the drink. Accidents can happen to anyone and we have been boating / in boats all of our life. Funny to see it happen to someone else. Know how it feels.

scatter1
03-11-2005, 08:35 AM
whoah! i thought for a second someone had dropped a shimano calais in the drink!

that was a scary few seconds ;D

sam

RobSee
03-11-2005, 09:10 AM
That'll learn 'im

Gazza
03-11-2005, 09:16 AM
Just follow the instructions ;D :D

gogecko
03-11-2005, 09:25 AM
Anybody know which GC ramp it was?

FNQCairns
03-11-2005, 09:30 AM
Not related to the Holden but how come when a boat on a trailer is draging in a vehicle backwards it doesn't just stop once the boat floats or the boat and trailer float? Anyone seen this? Surely the car would stop it's self once the weight was removed?

All just slime and no front wheel handbrake?

cheers fnq

Jeremy87
03-11-2005, 11:41 AM
Boat floats trailer sinks, boat would lift the the back wheels even higher once it separates from the trailer.

gogecko
03-11-2005, 11:52 AM
FNQ, maybe its the weight of the water that gets inside the car. Once the car has water in it, thered be no stopping gravity.

Reminds me to get those bald back tyres replaced.

Gbanger
03-11-2005, 01:38 PM
Anybody know which GC ramp it was?

its the Turana St Ramp, I use it all the time... theres nothing wrong with it....

front page of the bulleting

TonyM
03-11-2005, 02:03 PM
Not related to the Holden but how come when a boat on a trailer is draging in a vehicle backwards it doesn't just stop once the boat floats or the boat and trailer float? Anyone seen this? Surely the car would stop it's self once the weight was removed?

All just slime and no front wheel handbrake?

cheers fnq

I'd say probably Aberts theory at work here ;) e = mc2 (energy = mass * velocity squared)
Once the car started sliding it obviously had enough energy to keep moving :o

It's for this very reason wherever possible I have always used 4wds to tow my boats

Black_Rat
03-11-2005, 02:03 PM
Geeze G, looks like you've still got a lot of work to do looking at all that paperwork under the paper #;D better get to it #:P and get off here...... #;D

Gbanger
03-11-2005, 02:07 PM
i could work all day and not even scratch the surface

bigmack
03-11-2005, 02:08 PM
to FNQ - thats we thought when it happened to us (this was years ago now anyway). Unhook boat and she'll be right - WRONG

The car started to move so we quickly released the boat (one person in the boat driving on) but the mass of the car was just not stoppable once it had started to slide. it just all goes down in slow motion.

Our case went to court and the Council was proven to be negligent, ramp was overly steep and instead of having draingae channels cut horizontally across the ramp they slope down towards the water, so the car got on the grooves and skewed down.

Council then instituted a steam cleaning regime and warning signs on the ramp advising people to use wheel chocks.

When its never happened to you - you see it and just think stupid fools dont know what they are doing. I guess its a bit like people you see trying to throw boats off the trailer by reversing and then braking sharply. Ive seen many many boats bounce off concrete.

Cheers

SeaHunt
03-11-2005, 03:11 PM
Yes Bigmack,
Seen a few do this , pretty stupid me thinks. # [smiley=dunce.gif]
I managed to launch mine onto the concrete, albeit very slowly (no I was not trying the aforementioned stunt).
But I did undo the safety chain before backing down (never again) , the winch had slipped its gear and the boat slid off the trailer with the winch rope still attached and the handle spinning around about 1000 miles an hour. # #:o
Scarey stuff watching your pride and joy disappearing from view in the rear vision mirror and you are still 5 metres from the water. #:-? # # :-[

Anyway thankfully I had the motor trimmed right up and she landed on the rear edge of the keel for no noticable damage. ::)

TonyM ,
I have a 4wd now also , but I dont get out and lock my hubs in unless on sand or it looks slippery. Before that had front wheel drive, which kept your driving wheels at least a car length out of the water. # 8-)

GBC
03-11-2005, 03:22 PM
had a commodore float in the back yard once (not mine) during floods. It was fairly easy to push around until the wheels hit the ground again and the handbrake worked again. I guess the water might have been 900mm deep? Not very deep. Front wheels stay on the ground, but the back end floats readily enough, so the tide would grab it quick enough. Still a jet ski owner so no mercy - Isn't there a bounty on their ears like foxes?

Wear_the_fox_hat
03-11-2005, 03:50 PM
HUH!!!!!!!!!!
What's that about hunting foxes???
[smiley=rifle.gif]

magicpudding
03-11-2005, 09:26 PM
Tony, you're along the right lines in terms of momentum, however e=mc^2 applies to the energy of atoms (from memory), not momentum :P. The main thing is as soon as it has started sliding, there is no way the car will stop, even the external force pulling it down is less. The weight of the car hasn't changed, and still acts to pull the car down the ramp in the same manor.

CJ

Sergio_kutz
03-11-2005, 10:07 PM
GBC

It might have floated because of all the dirt and mud and crud in the water. Makes the water more dense and stuff floats easier. This may have been why urs floated. but then again... you may have had some air bubbles trapped somewhere which also helped it float... guess it's just one of those mysteries.

Sergio

BigE
06-11-2005, 07:58 AM
once it's in the drink most sedan will float at the rear quite eazy...... espicially if that 65lt drum at the back of most cars is full of air and not fuel!!

Regards E

gunna
06-11-2005, 01:50 PM
I watched a guide put his boat in at Shady Camp (NT) one day. Its a very shallow ramp so he reversed until the back of his old Cruiser had water a foot above the back bumper. Quite bizarre watching the exhaust bubbles breaking the surface while he launched the boat.

DICER
07-11-2005, 03:23 AM
it's gravity.... and of course a full car wash!