PDA

View Full Version : Re: Rex Hunt bashing... story from the other side.

Zeeke
04-11-2005, 08:28 AM
gotta agree with Kleiny.... somethings not right.... these kids probably should have buggered off if they were told to do so.. if this story is correct... but kids these days are smartass lil bastards... and dont want to respect there elders.. for Rexy to want to start trouble is highly unlikely... but for some smartass lil punks who consider making a name for themselves by trying to give Rex a flogging.. its possible..

Tim

JewseeTHAT
04-11-2005, 08:54 AM
A lot of ppl in Byron depend directly on tourism for their livelihoods, there'd be an awful lot of pressure on those involved to try to minimise the impact this is having on the region. Can't imagine those little t*rds are too popular at present and by association their parents would be feeling the pressure also. I'd like a dollar for every time I've heard "wasn't me, he did it", "it's not my fault" and "he started it". Bet there's a few magistrates and headmasters who'd say the same thing.

DR
04-11-2005, 09:30 AM
i think both stories are a load of Sh!t, somewhere in between both stories is more than likely what happened.
my thoughts
kleiny

i agree with you Kleiny..
& after seeing Rex on TV the other night making snide off hand comments about his tax dollars being used to pay a heap of byron folk to go surfing, i can also imagine him letting this lot know how he feels & probably inflaming the situation.
to me probably some smartarse comments from the kids, rex replies with an agro, smartarse return, next thing they're are all head down bum up & into it, i imagine fault on both sides, BUT, you don't ever kick a man in the head, (especially when a bit of rib & gut action can hurt a lot more & there is little chance of killing them ::))if you do you can have no complaints to what he or his mates do to you in return.......

ba229
04-11-2005, 09:49 AM
Steven, who asked for his surname to be withheld, said the exchange began when Mr Hunt dropped a pair of sunglasses as he and his family made their way down busy Jonson St last Friday night.

A verbal exchange followed after one of the youths stooped to pick them up for Mr Hunt.

Yeh... ::) he was stooping down to help out, and give him back his sunnies.

Rubbish, rubbish, rubbish (in my opinion)

More like stooped down to collect a new pair of expensive sunies for himself.

I work with kids on a daily basis and when you see them do something they KNOW is wrong and you confront them the standard response is to look you in the eyes and say " What? I didn't do anything. It wasn't me"

Having said all that I reckon Rexy's son probably inflamed the situation in some way and Dad had to help out.

cooky
04-11-2005, 10:41 AM
I'm sorry, but this dad doesn't sound very smart. Even if he does believe his son, if I was him I certainly wouldn't be speaking out about it. It just makes him look like an idiot. Most people woudl read that and think "no wonder his kid/s are roaming the streets - he'll eat any BS they want to feed him".

What's the kid going to say "yes dad we were looking for some fun and I think Rex is a tool, so we had a go"

Duyz72
04-11-2005, 01:10 PM
Yup, definitely 3 sides to a story as they say

Yours, mine and the truth!

jimbamb
04-11-2005, 01:16 PM
Ba229,
Not all kids are bad,
It is not fair to heap all kids into the same category.there are a vast MAJORITY of kids that are really good and genuinely help older people.
I do not know any facts re this case.But you could easily apply your judgemnt to Rexes side.....Guess we will never really know.

warrior
04-11-2005, 01:19 PM
looking at the teenage population today( as said by a few others in this post)they just dont respect the older generation like we were taught.they are very quick to give lip back when comfronted about just about anything,with two teenage daughters and their many freinds and working with apprentices i see this every day.rex would have inflamed the situation no doubt ,it is in his nature.he is a very arrogant man and thrives on conflict the truth comes out eventually

Jeremy87
04-11-2005, 01:33 PM
Well i'm completely convinced, why wouldn't you hit someone for picking up your sunnies for you.

Sergio_kutz
04-11-2005, 02:39 PM
Now now, let's not generalise about the teenagers of today. Or generalise about anything for that matter. I myself am a teenager and i'd have to say i'm pretty darn respectful to everyone, especially the elderly. It's just that you only hear the stories about the bad ones, meanwhile the quiet ones of us are busy studying or fishing. It would seem that these youngsters may have been a bad bunch, but please don't say that all teenagers don't respect people, coz that's just crap.

Sergio

land-lubber
04-11-2005, 02:55 PM
i think the middle ground is probably right, but one thing........

'the exchange began when Mr Hunt dropped a pair of sunglasses as he and his family made their way down busy Jonson St last Friday night.'

SUNNIES AT NIGHT?????
i know it is possiable, but not that likely??

black_sheep
04-11-2005, 03:04 PM
As far as I'm concerned, Rex is a toss and I would've smacked him one myself just for the fact that he talks about conservation of fish for 10 mintues while holding a fish out of the water instead of releasing it and than going on with his speil - unfortunately, that's a personal issue and has nothing to do with the incident.
I'm sure the kids would've provoked him knowing he is a celebrity. Nothing better than skyting to your friends about kicking Rex's arse. However, Rex is a grown man and should know better (so should his son) and should've walked away from the situation - PERIOD.
So, I'm a fence sitter on this one - kids are expected to be stupid but not grown adults who are in the public face. Than again, how much crap should you put up with from smartass kids, especially who don't know the fair engagement of fighting. One on one and until someone drops, not until they can't stand anymore.

Elysium
04-11-2005, 03:20 PM
as for who started, who caused and/or who finished it, who really cares! The truth on this matter will never come out as it so often never does.

But as opinions are like belly buttons (every body has one)...heres mine.

But I aint going to rave on about who should of done what...the thing that is getting me baffled is the way everyone...well not everyone...but you know what I mean...is talking about how kids should respect their elders...WHAT A LOAD OF CR@P!

respect is earnt...not a right.

Just because someone is older than you does that mean you have to automatically respect them and give them the respect of which they may not diserve?

Just because a man used to have a TV show...doesnt mean he is always in the right and deserves the respect of anyone younger then he.

respect is something get from a person after showing them you deserve it...not by saying "yibbida yibbida thats all folks" on tele once a week!

DR
04-11-2005, 03:30 PM
as for who started, who caused and/or who finished it, who really cares! The truth on this matter will never come out as it so often never does.

But I aint going to rave on about who should of done what...the thing that is getting me baffled is the way everyone...well not everyone...but you know what I mean...is talking about how kids should respect their elders...WHAT A LOAD OF CR@P!

Just because someone is older than you does that mean you have to automatically respect them and give them the respect of which they may not diserve?

Just because a man used to have a TV show...doesnt mean he is always in the right and deserves the respect of anyone younger then he.

respect is something get from a person after showing them you deserve it...not by saying "yibbida yibbida thats all folks" on tele once a week!

so what your saying is that when you meet someone, doesn't matter who they are, could be the meanest bastard or the nicest person on the face of the planet. that until they do something to earn your respect you can treat them like shit if you want to. mmmmmmmm. you weren't in Byron last week were you??

Darryl
04-11-2005, 03:39 PM
Respect from elders is besides the point. And i couldn't give a rats ass wether people like Rex or not, but to say he is not for conservation of fishing because he discusses issues regarding conservation of fish whilst holding a fish is ludicrous.

The amount of times i take my kids out in the boat and they want to release everything because of them watching his show. It's bloody hard to keep a feed on my boat because the kids want them to go back and breed.

He has done a lot of work for fish conservation as well as his society that takes disabled adults and kids fishing a couple of times a year.

So big deal if a shnapper dies whilst he runs his spiel . For the hundreds i have seen him throw back a couple of dead ones that end up on the plate arn't going to hurt.

Blaming kids in general is not on , My kids have old school values and are "a" students at school. And i tell ya what there are some bloody mature kids on this site that i would be proud to call mine.

Anyways just my say.

Darryl.

Ps, of course they were both at fault, rex has a big mouth and no doubt had something to say.

Zeeke
04-11-2005, 04:28 PM
Serg... im not saying all teenagers need to learn respect.. just most teenagers who do give lip.. one day they'll meet someone who'll give it back and more.. this is probably one of those situations

Tim
p.s. im only 23.. so i feel its fair for me to say these comments about teenagers.. it was only a couple o years ago i was a teenager myself...

familyman
04-11-2005, 04:41 PM
Rex has done alot to bring fishing to the masses but I have noticed and get cheesed off about the length of time he keeps fish out of the water .Watching a top end special on fox last sunday he caught a decent barra of about 85 to90 cm and then held it up by its bottom lip only ....
cheers jon

Zeeke
04-11-2005, 04:44 PM
the man does occassionally eat fish too... :-?

Tim

PinHead
04-11-2005, 05:22 PM

Respect to elders from some lil 15 year old is automatically given..it has been earned by the age...when I was 15 if I gave lip to an adult my old man would have swiped me with a bloody backhander...did me no harm....whoever the idiot was that stopped kids getting a clip in the earhole at school has made that generation what they are now..a bunch of brats who cannot be touched...well..one day they will find out they are not as tough as they think they are and then they will cry foul.

Some of these kids think the world owes them something...that they can do anything they want..fact is..they cannot. They need a backahnder themselves. I also think the parents need one themselves..letting a kid at 15 wander the streets at night...absolute BS that is. But..the parents are probably hippies who have not gotten out of the 60's...still working out how to see thru the smoke haze...the sooner society changes its laws and attitudes to the disciplining of kids then we are stuck with these lil buggers...and then their kids etc etc.

bidkev
04-11-2005, 05:55 PM

so what your saying is that when you meet someone, doesn't matter who they are, could be the meanest bastard or the nicest person on the face of the planet. that until they do something to earn your respect you can treat them like shit if you want to. mmmmmmmm. you weren't in Byron last week were you??

LMAO DR ;D ;D Just as I was musing as to how you can get a complete stranger to respect you in the moment he comes at you with a broken bottle because you ain't had the time to earn his respect ;D

What a load of bollox elysium. You seem to have yourself in a chicken and egg situation there. Everyone owes respect to others unless the behaviour of those others leaves something to be desired. If everyone had to earn others' respect then all those casual acquaintances we have who haven't had time to earn our respect, should be held in disrespect?

Do unto others mate. If they have done you no harm then why should you not respect them simply because they haven't had the time to earn your respect? It's that kind of thinking that is breaking down communities and breeding people who turn a blind eye when a stranger is getting a flogging. *Every* person deserves respect from every other person until such time that he/she proves themselves unworthy, not the other way round.

What you have said is *exactly* why society and youth in particular is in so much strife. If you don't respect others, then you are likely to treat them with disrespect.

Respect nowadays seems to be given only to those who meet with an *individuals* approval according to how that individual views the world and how they judge what is right/wrong/acceptable/cool/successful. That simply, is what is destroying society.

Notice how black gang members approach each other with the greeting, "respect bro"? Of course they do. They say respect because they have gained respect on the basis of the gangs' principles, not society's. They have earned that respect not because they have done something within the normal boundaries of acceptable behaviour, but because they have earned it via the gang's code of conduct which may be based on beating up on the Rex Hunt's of this world or little old ladies with bulging handbags. What price earned respect then?

Respect for others should be afforded simply on the basis that they have done you no harm and maintained until such time as the person respected loses that respect by acting in a manner that is harmful to others. *Your* philosophy would indicate that a weaker/less able person can be treated with disrespect because they haven't the ability to earn it or because they have *absolutely* no idea what they have to do to earn your respect. God help those less able/disabled if we all adopted your attitude.

I hope that you simply haven't expressed yourself as you would have wished and that I misinterpret what you say 'cause I have heard this too often. Delinquent juveniles who are "vitims" ie those ,who for whatever reason blame everyone and everything except themselves for their misfortunes (when they are called to account for their anti-social behaviour) invariably scream, "why *should* I respect you? You've done nothing to earn it" The fact that they have no respect for you or society, somehow translates into their justifying why they behave as they do. They seem to think that they have a God-given right to behave absymally towards others simply 'cause they don't respect them.

kev

stubi
04-11-2005, 06:19 PM
Very well said Kev [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

All I can say is you must have a LOT of spare time to put together such a well worded and balanced argument, well done!!!

:-?Stu

NeilD
04-11-2005, 06:30 PM
Well said Kingtin.

The idea that some young kids have is that they don't really have to respect anyone and it is a product of our society. I had a few work experience kids out at my workplace a few weeks ago and was astounded at the complete lack of respect given to some of my staff. One kid in particular caused a lot of grief and it was a wonder he was not set on his backside as the blokes he was giving cheek to included the head of a martial arts school. In this day and age they think they can get away with anything and have respect for no one. Its all very sad

rickraider
04-11-2005, 06:31 PM
go zeeke

bidkev
04-11-2005, 06:32 PM
#Very well said Kev #[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

#All I can say is you must have a LOT of spare time to put together such a well worded and balanced argument, well done!!!

# :-?Stu

Thanks Stu and no, I don't have a lot of spare time I but just like to mouth off now and again ;D ;D

Xmas shopping........Xmas lights......whatever happened to fishing? :'(

kev

Elysium
04-11-2005, 06:35 PM
Kingtin...I would not say that you mis-interpreted what I said.

I would be more inclined to say that yourself, DR and pinhead have a different opinion than I on what the word respect actually means to you.

I didnt say that just because you dont respect someone that you have the right to treat them like dirt and bash them and so on. Yes, all people (kids included) should be polite, courteous and so forth when in comes to dealing with other people...even strangers! But does that mean the person in question has your respect? Or is it a case of just simply being polite?

What your saying is if someone does you no harm, you should automatically respect that person...So I should respect someone if we pass on the street day after day and nothing happens, even though that someone could be on their way to a meth lab, whilst having their 18mth old crack baby roasting in the locked car of the local carpark. (a big stretch, but it makes my point I think)

So what I was saying before still stands...but it seems the only difference in opinion is the meaning of the word respect. respect in my mind is a personal thing, and that can only happen when you know someone. Respect and trust go hand in hand for me, so if you dont trust someone (I dont know about you, but I dont trust total strangers!) how can you respect them? So as for not treating someone you dont know like dirt... isnt that just being polite??

And that is something that some kids (and adults) of today have forgotten

bidkev
04-11-2005, 07:09 PM
<snip>

So what I was saying before still stands...but it seems the only difference in opinion is the meaning of the word respect. respect in my mind is a personal thing, and that can only happen when you know someone. Respect and trust go hand in hand for me, so if you dont trust someone (I dont know about you, but I dont trust total strangers!) how can you respect them? So as for not treating someone you dont know like dirt... isnt that just being polite??

Mate, I know where you're coming from because trust doesn't come easily to me either but that doesn't mean that 'cause I don't trust someone then I shouldn't respect him as a human. It seems that the only issue here is how you and I interpret "respect".

If you feel that you're simply being "polite" to others then you do yourself an injustice. being polite *is* being respectful.

One definition of respect is the objective, unbiased consideration and regard for the rights, values, beliefs and property of all people. Another definition is "the courteous regard for others"

I understand what you are saying though if you take another definiion of respect as "To hold someone in high regard"

I myself prefer to hold to the broader definitions of the word "respect".

cheers

kev

DR
04-11-2005, 07:28 PM
<snip>

Mate, I know where you're coming from because trust doesn't come easily to me either but that doesn't mean that 'cause I don't trust someone then I shouldn't respect him as a human. It seems that the only issue here is how you and I interpret "respect".

If you feel that you're simply being "polite" to others then you do yourself an injustice. being polite *is* being respectful.

One definition of respect is the objective, unbiased consideration and regard for the rights, values, beliefs and property of all people. Another definition is "the courteous regard for others"

I understand what you are saying though if you take another definiion of respect as "To hold someone in high regard"

I myself prefer to hold to the broader definitions of the word "respect".

cheers

kev

[smiley=thumbsup.gif] yep http://www.thefreedictionary.com/respect

to me respect for people is automatic & expected, then when things happen then you can lose respect, not the other way around. the trouble these days is lack of respect for everything, you only have to look at graffiti ( they try & call it art, it's vandalism), look at damage done to vehicles by others with no respect for other peoples stuff, the way some on here get all excited over threads which they disagree with & become incapable of discussion, get abusive & the thread gets closed. it's everywhere,no respect. I put that down to the attitude of people like elysium who feel that respect has to be earned before it is shown, usually that sort of attitude is greeted with the same & it goes nowhere, or if anywhere it is confrontational..
thats my belly button..

Elysium
04-11-2005, 07:41 PM
to qoute DR

"it's everywhere,no respect. I put that down to the attitude of people like elysium who feel that respect has to be earned before it is shown, usually that sort of attitude is greeted with the same & it goes nowhere, or if anywhere it is confrontational.. "

Kingtin said exactly what I was trying to...but just could find the words...
"I understand what you are saying though if you take another definition of respect as "To hold someone in high regard"...that is my exact opinion on what respect is.!!!!!

High regard to me is respect...where as not vandalising someones car...not hitting someone in the head...not stealing from someone...all that is just being a decent human being...being polite.

So basically we share the common thought as to what this thread is about...yes...kids should NOT be able to roam the streets, terrorising the locals and tourists alike. But where as you call it a lack of repsect...I call it a lack of basic humanity!

two different terms...but the same meaning!

Just_chips
04-11-2005, 08:10 PM
Let's face it folks, Rex Hunt has a BIG GOB.

He should have learned to control it a long time ago (he got into plenty of trouble from his mouth both during and after his footy career) Obviously he still can't shut up and neither can his son. Have you ever heard of "it takes two to tango". This sounds like a classic case to me.
Both parties are claiming the other is at fault, reality is, more than likely they both are.

Rex Hunt has got everywhere in his life by using his confidence, so why wouldn't he use his confidence when confronted by a group of young punks, problem is that they didn't back down because they were feeling "ten foot tall"
(an affliction affecting us all at some stage)thus inflaming a situation.

Kenny Rogers once wrote "You have to know when to hold them, know when to fold them, know when to walk away and know when to run".

Rex should have walked away. He put his family at risk by sticking about to tell everybody how much tax he pays.

Sure these kids could do with a kick up the arse, but from the sounds of things Rexy boy had been in the pub all arvo if he still had sunnies on his head late at night, it just sounds like something that could have been avoided by both parties.

These kids might be young, dumb and full of cum, but I think Rexy may have had some sort of input into what he was full of.

Think about your actions boys because sometimes they have consquences.

Cheers Kev

Burley_Boy
04-11-2005, 10:00 PM
So what you're saying Elysium is that if some woman is dumping her undersized fish on the beach rather than putting them back in the water then she's not being disrespectful of the environment but simply being impolite to the fish. :-/
Tricky stuff this definition business it seems like and yes if my kids treated this crack smoking mother with disrespect then I'd clip them around the ears too. You teach your kids to show respect even to those who do not deserve it. That will serve my kids best in the end not to gain some cocky attitude.
Back to Rexy, shouldn't he just have foul hooked them then held them up to the camera before kissing them and tossing them back ;D

DICER
05-11-2005, 04:50 AM
facts....

someone was smacked....

someone/people were in the wrong....

Rex changed attitudes towards catch and release....

Rainbowrunner
05-11-2005, 06:19 AM
he was a Victorian policeman too wasnt he?

Mad-One
05-11-2005, 07:35 AM
Bring back capital punishment.Let the teachers give them the cane. A good flogging never done me any harm. Been kicked in the rear end a few times by the coppers but I deserved it.

Phil

DICER
05-11-2005, 11:20 AM
a mighty morphin power rangers sharky says "najg, najga, a, no respect, no respect, despicable"

probably you older guys won't find this one funny.... ;D

Dug
05-11-2005, 11:50 AM
I Spent last week in bangalow just down the road from Byron I only visited a few times to get groceries and take some photos I must say I was not surprised at what happened.

I did not feel comfortable in the town and I did not like leaving my car or anything of value arround. Tough to do when you are taking photos.

It is a lot different to when I used to hang out there in the mid 70's

The town is full of grubs and as one of the local coastguard guys was saying "there are gangs of teenagers 13 to 16 who roam at night and hunt in packs like wild dogs.

Simple question Would an ex cop thump someone who was trying to help him?

NeMo84
05-11-2005, 07:41 PM
don't believe that story at all...

flynny15
05-11-2005, 10:05 PM
makes me laugh reading about teenagers need to learn to respect, etc etc etc.

as for someone who is mid 20 nows, i get to mingle with older adults and younger teens, to be fair and honest both groups are as bad as one another, some adults are pigs , and some teens are rats, end of the day you get good with the bad, as for everything in life.

As for rex hunt`s little boo who story, iam one who firmly belive you get whats coming to you, maybe he did`nt deserve it and said nothing, but at the end of the day he has a big mouth , and mouths of to whom ever he wants to, because he thinks he is a hot shot celebrity. Being from melbourne and watching, and listening to afl especially, i have heard his radio show, he has such a big mouth , iam suprised nothing like this has`nt happened sooner.

so, brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp! to rex hunt and brrrrrrrrrrrrp to teens need respect.

PinHead
05-11-2005, 10:40 PM
makes me laugh reading about teenagers need to learn to respect, etc etc etc.

as for someone who is mid 20 nows, i get to mingle with older adults and younger teens, to be fair and honest both groups are as bad as one another, some adults are pigs , and some teens are rats, end of the day you get good with the bad, as for everything in life.

As for rex hunt`s little boo who story, iam one who firmly belive you get whats coming to you, maybe he did`nt deserve it and said nothing, but at the end of the day he has a big mouth , and mouths of to whom ever he wants to, because he thinks he is a hot shot celebrity. Being from melbourne and watching, and listening to afl especially, i have heard his radio show, he has such a big mouth , iam suprised nothing like this has`nt happened sooner.

so, brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp! to rex hunt and brrrrrrrrrrrrp to teens need respect.

so what if someone has a big mouth..that is no excuse for physical violence...there is no excuse for instigating it at all...I still want to know what a 15 year old is doing roaming the streets at night and where the hell was his irresponsible parents?

flynny15
06-11-2005, 09:01 AM
Mate, iam not saying its right what happened, iam not saying i think it was fair, iam just saying a big mouth gets you in trouble sometime in your life.

as for the parents, yeah blame them , they have all the cotrol dont they, just like my brother in mlebourne, he is a rat bag, does what he wants, what can my parents do they are late 50s, all the laws are set agaisnt parents. Would it be in my parents interest to kick him out??? i would say no cause then he would probably be worse. Parents have no power.
Maybe allso, alot of these parents in these small seaside towns work late night, because it is tourism that makes them money, so therefore, that would lead me to belive they can be at 2 places at once.

maybe we should just blame the kids 15, god they know what they are doing.

Lucky_Phill
06-11-2005, 09:12 AM
OK people, this will run for another page, then we might have to sum it up, disect it and shut it. #Maybe we getting off track a tad !

Then again, maybe we should open a new thread on " solving the worlds problems ". #I'm sure most of us here know how to do that ? # ;) # # ;)

Having said that, it is good to hear the varing views from the different age groups. #Whether the initial post and info is fact or fiction, the quality of thought going into this post has suprised me. #As most of you are aware, with Ausfishers having differing opinions, this usually leads to a bun-fight. Glad to see this not going that way, just a good debate with individual thoughts and interpretations.

Now Greg, about those weapons of mass destruction, what'd ya do wiff dem ? # ::) :-X #;) # :o

Cheers Phill #( #moderating in moderation ! ) # :-*

Cloud_9
06-11-2005, 10:06 AM
have to agree with alex ba229.
we just sacked our apprentice for not bothering to show for work for a week with no phone call + a few other reasons.
but his thoughts on life was its not illegl if you dont get caught.
young people in general have no idea on anything accept what concerns them directly.

roz
06-11-2005, 12:54 PM
gotta agree with Kleiny.... somethings not right.... these kids probably should have buggered off if they were told to do so.. if this story is correct... but kids these days are smartass lil bastards... and dont want to respect there elders.. #for Rexy to want to start trouble is highly unlikely... but for some smartass lil punks who consider making a name for themselves by trying to give Rex a flogging.. its possible..

Tim

Tim,

Wondering if calling a person names is disrespectful.

Just an observation.

Cheers Roz.

ba229
06-11-2005, 02:31 PM
Tim,

Wondering if calling a person names is disrespectful.

Just an observation.

Cheers Roz.

???

imported_admin
06-11-2005, 02:33 PM
Maybe we all need to get back to talking about fishing ? :)

Sean
06-11-2005, 10:13 PM
Hi everyone, I live in Ballina(30mins south of Byron) I work with 3 or 4 young blokes aged between 17 and 21. They all reckon these kids are in byron most nights and start fights most nights, they hang out in groups of about 15-20 and apparently wont fight one on one.
A lot of locals in Byron are very against the tourists (a lot aren't) so I am not really all that suprised this happened, I can just imagine all these kids sitting around, Rex Hunt walks past and one of them sayse 'hey, theres Rex Hunt....we should beat him up...that would be so cool!!' Anyway I agree Rex has got a big mouth (he is Victorian after all ;D) But Apparently these kids are doing this a fair bit.
Finally I have not witnesed any of this, it is purely from what my young friends say. So don't rip me appart please....btw I have aboat 4 sale in the 4 sale sect!!! ;) ;) Sean :)

Mad_fisherman
07-11-2005, 09:07 AM
I heard bushy was up there as well and it all started as a blew between him and steve starling at paul hogans old pub! And it was steve who bent down to pick up Rexy's sunnies then all hell broke loose as bushy started to defend Steve. Then errrr never mind!

black_sheep
07-11-2005, 11:16 AM
Crestcutter - you are right, Rex has done a lot for conservation of fishing and has been the main face for the public when it comes to "catch and release" over the last decade. I also know of quite a few kids who want to kiss their catch and put 'em back.
That's great and Rex does deserve all the credit for this, however, if you are promoting and educating inexperienced anglers about how to handle your fish correctly so that it does swim away is just as important.
It's my personal opinion but I am very passionate about our limited fish resources. "So big deal if a few Snapper die", that's your opinion and although I don't agree, I respect it.

There is apparentely a story on this tonight on one of the Current Affairs shows that has video footage of the incident. May show a different story all togther.

I also agree with DR - respect everyone. Everyone deserves a minimum level of respect until they prove you different.

NEWBY
07-11-2005, 12:20 PM
Well I can say from experience that if Mr Starling was there that "a big gob can certainly get you into a lot of trouble" I went fishing with Steve a few years ago and we were in the Bermagui pub the night before. A few drinks and he is 8 foot tall and bullet proof and he certainly said the wrong things to the Pro fisho's at the pub that night. By 1am, he was circled by about 10 fellas that were built like brick sheethouses and they wanted blood. Me being 12 foot tall and bullet proof at that point in time, I walked into the middle and pulled him away from certain hospital food. We are all entitled to our own opinion but where we choose to air that opinion requires a bit of uncommon sense. When Steve has a gut full of the good oil, I am affraid that common sense is lacking. All in all though I had a great time fishing with him and Bushy and Frankie J Holden the next day and I do have some great pics of Mr Starling spewing up the previous nights wine and beer. I did hear a great story from Bushy too how he had the crap beaten out of him a few weeks earlier for airing his opinions on Pro Fisho's on the telly. Apparently they jumped him in a carpark.

Darryl
07-11-2005, 01:26 PM
Black sheep as i respect your views on this, actually everybody's views you are pulling snippets of what i post and not taking the post for what it is mate.

What i said or meant by "big deal if a couple of fish die" is, whilst he is trying to educate people on conservation etc by raving on with his speil, if a fish does happen to pass to the otherside to fishy heaven it really isn't a biggy. I'm sure between the camera man the sound crew the guide etc that the fish would be eaten.

Personally i cant stand the crapola he carries on with in his shows but, the kids love him , and what he is talking about in these spiels has rubbed off on them , as you said and i agree.

Anyways we could sit here all night /day and go at it but the bottom line is this.

Rex hunt....... Big mouth.

Byron kids......Not completely innocent i'm sure.

Black eye........ Only hurts the next morning.

black_sheep
07-11-2005, 04:03 PM
Crestcutter,

I do apologise and take that back. Rex has been the benchmark for TV personalities when it comes to "Catch and Release" and over the last decade has influenced a lot of anglers and kids to do the right thing and deserves full credit for that. I am however sticking to my guns on the "practice what you preach" spiel and must say if he is representing and promoting ethical fishing practices and (as we both agree), educating our youth, I believe that he should be doing EVERYTHING to ensure that the correct message is being delivered. I also don't have a problem with keeping a few for the dinner table but no point kissing and throwing back a dead fish - it would be better off on his dinner plate. Anyway, that's off the subject and it's purely my opinion.

I do however agree with "DR" that respect is something that everyone deserves. It's one of the basic principles of society that should be instaled into our youth and may explain some of the problems we face with kids today. You shouldn’t have to prove yourself to someone to earn their respect. On the flip side, some adults do treat our youth with a total lack of respect due to a few “bad apples” and that’s why some kids treat us the same in return.

At the end of the day, some blame has got to be thrown at the parents of these kids. I know that in my day, I would have been too bloody scared to talk back to an adult for fear that my parents may find out.

lazeabout_4.5
07-11-2005, 05:47 PM
i have lived near byron my whole life(20 years) and have seen a few fights and arguments happen in byron and pretty much every where else where there is a very active night life the same thing happens but when somethink does happen it usually takes two people for a fight or argument to take place and there's always two sides to the story so unless it was caught on tape or you were there to witness it you can't blame either rexy or the youngsters and atleast rexy is a true fisherman and lets the lil fella's go ;D
ps: he'll get over it soon enough

Lucky_Phill
07-11-2005, 06:44 PM
OK , that seems to be about it.

If there anything anyone else deems fit to add, pm me and I may open it up. But, for now. She's under lock and key !

Cheers Phill