PDA

View Full Version : How smart are dolphins realy?

Thunderbird
06-11-2005, 04:15 PM
After the weather man stuffed the forecast, things were off to a bad start and just continued all weekend.
I've heard of mullet jumping into boats and flying fish landing in boats but dolphins!
Has anyone had or heard of a similar experiance.
It happened as we cruised down a large swell, this dolphin launched itself out of the wave and i lost sight of it because of the roof of the boat what happened next was just unbelievable (lucky there were other people on the boat to varify the story) Instead of a nice soft landing the huge bottlenose dolphin came crashing down on the port side bow rail.
Truly frightening stuff, luckily it bounced off and didn't enter the boat.

Thunderbird
06-11-2005, 04:18 PM
Oh yeah and to top it all off here's the catch for the troubles.
Had to bring home the bait this time!
cheers mark.

Thunderbird
06-11-2005, 04:31 PM
You can't call it a walkaround cuddy now! here's another. :'( :'(

FishFinger1977
06-11-2005, 05:53 PM
Mark,
Holy sh*t mate must have hit hard. Poor dolphin...I mean poor Thunderbird. I have seen them around the bow of my boat and have always thought well I should go up front for a look, probobly won't now though. That anchor up there would have made a mess if it hit that eh? Frighteneing eh, maybe there is a thundertird in your pants now ;D Regards Scott

Thunderbird
06-11-2005, 06:09 PM
Scotty like all freakish things that happen, i didn't notice if it missed the anchor or not. it happened as quick as a Zuretec, and was lucky to miss the bloke hanging outside the cabin on that side of the boat enjoying there playfulness.
Talk about the one that got away ::) ;D
I'd hate to think what would've happened if it came through the frount screen. Would've k.o'd us and the boat.... 70km from the dry stuff. help is a long way away.
Scotty if you want to go Trolling for dolphins i'm the man ;D ;D

FishFinger1977
06-11-2005, 06:21 PM
Mark,
Close call mate but I am always up for trolling, usually dolphin fish but err...Better pm me if you want to chase the other ones :) Regards Scott. P.S. reckon one of those new reels would catch one? ;D

Kiktz
06-11-2005, 09:58 PM
Thunderbird,

Mate Iwas just showing the boss what Flipper did to your boat.
She would like to know if he was alright, Can you please advise
or pass on Flippers number so she can give him a call

Aj

DICER
07-11-2005, 03:17 AM
dolphins are very smart - he/she saw the bait and tried to board your boat....but forgot the hand rail was in the way....ooucch

redspeckle
07-11-2005, 07:53 AM
Thunderbird
You where lucky wasn't a whale( thinking about cleaning his back )
In the photo's that is some damage their and luckly nobody was their
You will have to come up with the marine vision of the roo shoo

mitch

Sportfish_5
07-11-2005, 08:06 AM
Rooter - Holy crap :o

Maybe the dolphin likes a XXXX or two ::) ::) ::)

Cheers

Greg

bugman
07-11-2005, 08:16 AM
Roota,

I see it like this...

The dolphins were watching you all day. They knew you were doing it tough with bugger all fish. The got together in a little committee and went through the options. The big male dolphin who was on his way out with a weak heart and all, offered himself as a sacrifice to the group so Mark wouldn't go home empty handed and without a feed.

So the pod rushes over to the boat... a few distract Roota and his deckies when the big old male makes a leap for it and trys to jump into the back of the boat. BUT just at the instant of take off his weak old heart gives up the ghost meaning he's lacking those last few kicks which would have seen him sail clear over the gunnels. Instead he crashes into the bow rail and falls back into the water dead as a stone.

The rest of the dolphins didn't see the accident and assumed Roota and his mates had just killed the old male once he'd landed aboard and dumped him back over the side. They form a group again and converse.... There's genuine outrage at the ungratefulness shown by Roota. There's talk of reprisal with the younger males keen on Kamikaze style attacks aimed at every torso they can see... The leader calms the younger members down and outlines his devilish plan.... "Take a good look at that boat everyone," he says. "We shall remember that boat and alert every dolphin in Queensland as to its appearance. Whenever that boat is in the water we will come and rest assured no fish shall ever be allowed close enough for them to catch. They shall try and try and they shall not succeed. The wanton death of one of our own will result in years of barren fishing for those involved."

So it was agreed. The dolphins all looked as the boat motored away, safe in the knowledge that they will be avenged ... year after year after year.

So Roota ... seems like your buggered now mate. Shame really as you just bought those shiny golden things. I tell you want ... you drop them around one afternoon and I'll see if I can put them to good use. I'll even take the odd photo of the fish I catch with the gold things in the background. I'll kindly give you the photos after every trip.

See you this arvy.

Bugman

Fisher_Boats
07-11-2005, 10:47 AM
Bloody hell Birdy #:o :o
Gave you something to think about.
How's the insurance policy with kamakazi dolphins??

Good story Brett :D

Thunderbird
07-11-2005, 03:08 PM
Col The old fisher is bullet proof and roota proof but not dolphin proof! Will no doubt be seeing you soon.
Mitch that's a top idea! until now you wouldn't of thaught there'd be a market.
Greg i don't know what's in the water at the moment but it's turning the fish off the bight and sending the dolphins loopy :-/Poor old dolphin's got a headache before he had the chance to have a couple with us.
Brett what can i do to stop this??? paint the boat and change the outboard?
Maybe the bolphin was blinded by the bling 8-)and i do need to bet rid of the reel! Remember i told you need a gold spear gun and the fish will come to you ;D ;D
I'd thaught about getting into bilfishing but fishing for reefies seems dangerous enough :-/
Top story by the way i needed some cheering up.

SeaHunt
07-11-2005, 05:04 PM
They are smarter than me because they catch fish every day. :-[

But that one is probably just a retard, or maybe a teenager showing off to the girls and came unstuck. :D :o

aussiefool
07-11-2005, 11:51 PM
I was thinging of going into making and selling roo bars for cars now I might have to look at dolphin bars instead....... any takers 8-)

Fishbone
08-11-2005, 07:59 AM
The Dolphin said you cut him off while he was changing lanes, he is going to report you to greenpeace!