PDA

View Full Version : something needs to be done!

danny_Shep
06-11-2005, 09:00 PM
Hey guys,

having just watched 60 mins, i am not in the best mood. Those of you who didnt watch it, it was about Asian fisherman coming into Australian waters, for sharks (their fins) and once they cant find sharks, the next best thing on the asian market is snapper. There was only some 200 odd actual captures out something like 8000 sightings. And the an asian boat that clearly didnt want to get caught escaped, as the captain used sharpened bamboo points to stop the navy from boarding their vessel. One of the vessels that the Navy did capture had half a tonne of snapper aboard!!!! absolutely sickening. anyway just thought i would get it off my chest.

danny shep

jackash
06-11-2005, 09:05 PM
Didnt see the show but sounds like an absolute JOKE!!! Whats the point in our bag limits and rules when this sorta stuff happens!!!

land-lubber
06-11-2005, 09:16 PM
i take my hat off to the pro who boarded the illegal boat, not smart, but good on him

strongy
06-11-2005, 09:36 PM
How can you get things done when goverment bofins , opps ministers like the one on the 60 mins show seemed to not know that much of the actual (real) stuff that goes on up that way , even when the reporter told him what was happening, he seemed surprised and sort of didn`t believe her , he wouldn`t know shit from sugar , except how much his government pay and allowance is to the last cent.

revs57
06-11-2005, 09:46 PM
My VVMC mates have a tag on the front of their cutoff's, it say's "the politicians are the real enemy" and when I see stuff like this...and all the money and hoo-haa about the work place reforms...the millions of tax dollars to make the propaganda and then the millions more tax dollars to brainwash us through the media that its a good thing, i wonder if they really do know what's going on at all!!!!

-spiro-
06-11-2005, 10:51 PM
Those shootguns they had for display, should of pierced the hull or the ones near the bambo poles. These guy's out there should be give'n more power to stop this sorta crap!

sackrash
07-11-2005, 07:08 AM
You are all on the money here guys, whilst we cant just shoot em up, it is an expensive excersize trying to round em up, tow em back to port and prosecute, being a part of the team that recently caught the pirate ship Taruman in the Southern Ocean, I can put your voice forward for you. If anyone has solutions or ideas (apart from shoot em up) please let me know and I will put them forward.
By the way the ship we caught had 140 ton of toothfish onboard and another 40 ton of bait (slimies)
The actual footage on the show was not as current as you would like to believe and things are changing and by the way after catching the ship we also headed north and caught 4 of these ice boats (one of wich was a hostile boarding, by memory I think about 13 - 15 ton of fish in all.
What they call snapper is not the same fish we call snapper.

rashy

Darryl
07-11-2005, 08:58 AM
Lets have a meet and greet out there with our own private fuel tanker following us ;D

All my life i have wanted to win lotto and buy myself a patrol boat and wander around up there ramming and blowing things up ;D

On a serious note , what could we do to change this, i'm all for it.

Poseidon
07-11-2005, 10:58 AM
I think the government should offer these looters a job on the minimum wage and under their new IR reforms, that should see the end of them and any other asylum seekers, illegal immigrants ;D ;D.

Seriously though, the Federal Government needs to be more pro-active in protecting our fishing stocks and ensuring that foreign vessels have permission to be within our water. With disease, terrorism etc they need to become fair dinkum about securing our shoreline and not just concentrating efforts around airports.

The only way that any government changes tact is if there is a vote in it.

Regards Cameron.

bigmack
07-11-2005, 11:15 AM
Agree - wholeheartedly and dont forget that they actually land on the shore - have animals on their boats and the possibilities for spread of disease is scary.

I think they took the softly softly approach on that boat with the sharpened bamboo - perhaps beacuse of the film crew. Personally I wouldnt take any of that crap, when my boat was bigger and I probably had two assault craft to use.

These people dont care and I have heard that they even poisoned there own reefs to catch the last skerricks of swimming life. So much for friendly relations with Indonesia - we are way too soft. Too many do gooder touchy feely left over flower power hippies in power. No discipline anywher and not allowed to give out any discipline because we might upset someone. B*&llsh&t as usual.

the tonnes and tonnes of fish being ripped out of our system is crazy comparefd to our bag limits.

Did you see the girl pro fishing for spaniards - nice fish and she certainly had no problems administering the last rights to several very nice fish.

Time to take Action Australia. Its only going to get worse with an unbridled population close to our north.

SeaHunt
08-11-2005, 10:10 AM
Hide drugs in their boat and send em back home. Then get the AFP to phone up their buddies in Indonesia and dob them in.
Problem solved. ;D ;D ;D

trout_harris
09-11-2005, 08:46 AM
>:(

Mick
09-11-2005, 08:55 AM
Yep, its discusting. I found this at one of the local creeks in my area a few weeks ago. It's a Hammerhead Shark around 10 foot and missing its fins....

On a COMPLETELY different note there are lots of tourists around my area lately and most of them are from ............ (somewhere over seas)

Mick
09-11-2005, 08:59 AM
Oh, reported it to fisheries.... they said, is there anyone around or do you know who did it? I said 'no'. They said there is nothing they can do, can you roll it back into the water...., a resident croc should clean it up. :-?

Billo
09-11-2005, 10:23 AM
I would fully support them being shot out of the water !!!!!!

They are fully aware of what they are doing .

rysa
09-11-2005, 09:44 PM
I saw the show, and could not believe my bloody eyes when they let the boat go that had the bamboo poles out.. can't they run a decent rope or net under the illegal boat and foul it's prop? They are ways and means to stop a boat like that surly! I was just in shock at the lack of commitment.. unbelievable. >:( >:( >:(

mjc85
09-11-2005, 10:13 PM
Hey guys,

having just watched 60 mins, i am not in the best mood. Those of you who didnt watch it, it was about Asian fisherman coming into Australian waters, for sharks (their fins) and once they cant find sharks, the next best thing on the asian market is snapper. There was only some 200 odd actual captures out #something like 8000 sightings. And the an asian boat that clearly didnt want to get caught escaped, as the captain used sharpened bamboo points to stop the navy from boarding their vessel. One of the vessels that the Navy did capture had half a tonne of snapper aboard!!!! absolutely sickening. anyway just thought i would get it off my chest.

danny shep

Hey my cousin is one of the communications officers on HMAS bendigo (the ship on 60 mins) =) There is still many laws stopping them from taking any forceful action, but i think this will change quite soon =)

10-11-2005, 01:03 PM
I totally agree. To think the indo's can escape from merely errecting bamboo poles on the side of their boats and out-run the authorities is a joke. Laws need to be in-place to ensure Australia's boarders and fish stocks/resources are protected. Can you imagine that bloke going back to his village and boasting how he out-ran the authorities thus leading to more of them doing the same thing. I really can't see the dilemma at all; they are trespassing our waters so we should be able to shoot em to stop their vessels and punish the purportrators.

Mad_fisherman
10-11-2005, 03:11 PM
I did not see the show you are talking about however, just to add a bit of fury to the thread. The problem also is with in our defence doctrine, the Navy patrol boats who also patrol these waters are most of the time are just directed to take them out of our waters into international waters. The only thing the Navy has on there side is Weapons but as we all know the public has a raging hissy fit if our Navy act's and uses them. Also due to contary believe our Forces are not as well funded as we would like to think. Also there is not that many boats in our Navy capable of the speeds requred to capture these types. This creates a slight problem seeing we have such a vast expanse of water to cover. In my own opion and only my opion we do need to drag there sorry arses in and go through the channels to deport them etc. however there just going to go get another boat and do the same thing again and again. Maybe if next time when there hostile and threating lives of our Australian people, our Navy or patrols should brass them up this may deter a few of them. And also might put a bit of faith back into our own people. But then again some civil rights crack head will jump up and down about our forces using leathel force etc blah blah.

The good thing about our forces is though i do believe there trained to hit body of mass *laughs* so this will mess there day up.

Anyways that is my rambel and 2 cents worth.

Cheers

MAD! >:(

Reidy
10-11-2005, 09:18 PM
I belive in the three stikes if. 1 if they are spotted try to establish contact to tell them to move on.2 fire a warnning shot. 3 Then sink the buggers.

I really think they need to be able to do it too these rat bags, they bring drugs take our beloved fish, seek refuge and possibly now a bird flue. I say protect protect our shores, theres already plenty of pressure from us fishing let alone them as well.