PDA

View Full Version : marine parks vessel - no wake

Dignity
14-11-2005, 07:47 PM
got myself down to the water about lunch time saturday and the Marine Parks vessel was just coming thru Steiglitz doing the regulation 6 knots. bloody big wake from that boat, you'd think that they would get it right. met up with it again near the Slipping Sands on sunday and some damn thing - I wonder how fast that thing goes and whether it hrows an even bigger wake at speed

cheers Sam

The_Walrus
15-11-2005, 04:10 AM
Many places that have a six knots speed limit aim to minimize boat waves rather than speed.

Oher than displacement boats, most boats doing six knots will produce substancial wakes much more than those they do on the plane.

Having said that, in my experience, I've regularly seen boats belonging to the "authorities" quite happy to ignore both speed and wave restrictions. >:(

Luc

Dignity
15-11-2005, 05:54 PM
Luc, I thought the signs meant maximum of 6 knots or less if needed to avoid a wake. I usually have to drop down to just under 4 knots to achieve this and am quite happy to do so. I creat more wake at 6 knots than on the plane.

Sam

The_Walrus
15-11-2005, 08:22 PM
Hi Sam,

Some places enforce a 6 knot speed limit for safety reasons only.

Typical example at present is the ramp at Kirkleigh (Somerset Dam) and the dam upstream from the ramp. With the low water level, you'd have to be crazy to travel faster than that.

My boat at 6 knots also creates large waves much larger than when planing.

Luc