PDA

View Full Version : Tweed Sand Pumpin Jetty

Spaniard_King
13-11-2005, 11:54 AM
Headed out of Tweed this morning, stopped at the sand pumping jetty to get a few livies.

Pulled up like we normally do and started driftin around the end of the jetty, all of a sudden we had lines hanging accross our boat WTF :o. Looked up to see 6 sets of eyes lookin down at us :'(.

Whats more they had at least 2 rods each hanging in the water leaving us little room at all to be there >:(. I had my young bloke with me so a verbal broadside wasn't going to be pleasant and I was worried that it could start raining sinkers. Nor did these guys look like moving or giving us room.

I thought this jetty was closed to fishing [smiley=rifle.gif] can anyone confirm the situation here :'(

Kirra reef is nearly completely covered so the jetty is the only place for livies bar Palmy reef ::)

cheers

Garry

vertico
13-11-2005, 01:39 PM
that gotta pee you off! >:(

rando
13-11-2005, 02:09 PM
The Jetty is closed to the public, a few locals know how to get on but it is illegal difficlt and dangerous,
rando

gunna
13-11-2005, 02:20 PM
I guess thats when you let them watch you ring the authorities from just out of sinker range.

rando
13-11-2005, 03:33 PM
Do unto others!!! fellas
We landbased guys do it tough.Fishy locations are hard to find & thats why they take a risk of being caught, the chance of a quality fish.
wouldnt it be just as easy to collect your bait from some other point on the jetty than where they are fishing and leave a fellow fisherman to his chosen spot.
My opinion only, no offence intended.
Cheers
rando

gawby
13-11-2005, 04:04 PM
I would be p-ssoff to if some brain deads started throwing lines over me if i was there first.
Graeme

Spaniard_King
13-11-2005, 04:19 PM
Rando,

Are you suggesting I should be making way for people who are illegally fishing :o

If I was to collect bait from further down the jetty, I would be in the wave zone ::)

Personally if you can't fish legally "DON"T FISH"

I think I am gonna track down who manages this facility and email them a dirty letter.

Next time this happens a phone call to fisheries may be in order

Garry

rando
13-11-2005, 04:21 PM
Fair go Gawby, how likely is it that someone is going to throw their line over a boat.I dont know, but suspect its more likely, that Spaniard king drifted through their set lines.I know some of the guys that fish there and dont think they would go down that road, for one thing the only outcome is going to be a lost rig.
rando

gawby
13-11-2005, 04:40 PM
Ill go as far as agreeing with gary, get off the bloody jetty if it is illegal to fish from it. I thought we on this site were suposed to support legal fishing and such like.
fair go.
Graeme

rando
13-11-2005, 04:46 PM
Gary
Im not suggesting that you behave in any way at all.I just appealling for some tolerance. I disagree with you as to the wave zone, I am sure there is room for you to collect bait in safety.
You can impose your behaviour and views on others if you wish but my belief, in this is to live and let live.
Yes they are breaking a rule to get access to the jetty,but why is that such a big deal to you,? you have an entire ocean at your disposal, there is plenty of room , just move 30 metres and everyone is sweet.
Mate that is my view I dont want an argument with you. If you disagree with me so be it . I am simply stating I understand their motivation.
kind regards
rando

Spaniard_King
13-11-2005, 05:06 PM
Rando,

I have voiced my oppinion with the relevant department, we will see what comes of it. :)

Garry

rando
13-11-2005, 05:15 PM
Thats your perrogative, Gary. You may have just made it harder for fellow fishermen to get a fish.
all the best
rando

rajawolf
13-11-2005, 05:59 PM
I assume that all persons involved had a fishing licence...... :P #:-?

go easy on me!!! ;D

Mad-One
13-11-2005, 06:03 PM
Coming home from fishing last night noticed a heap of fisho's fishing off the bridge on the nerang river and thought geez that would be nice to come across in the dark in a boat. Thought that would have been illegal to

Phil

rando
13-11-2005, 06:26 PM
Phil
I think thats a different issue, fishing over a navigation channel!!
rando

JB
13-11-2005, 08:25 PM
I think the big problem here is the sad decline of kirra reef. Its a shame to see it covered in sand. Might have to put some big tanks in the backyard and breed me own slimies ;)

Brejen
13-11-2005, 08:31 PM
Still Illegal none the less.

Have had a couple of near misses going under bridges in the tinnie in the middle of the night. Having a line run across your body (usually upper body ) to luckily realize in the nick of time what is happening with a set of hooks rapidly approaching.

And have to agree totally with what Gary has said ---

Brett

rando
13-11-2005, 08:54 PM
Ive read several posts of fishers blessed with the access to a boat musing on the prospect of ignoring the restricted zones around our wharfs if the situation presents itself.
I dont remember hearing anyone taking those protagonists to task . In fact I seem to recall them being advised not to get caught .
Its a fact of life that fishermen prefer to fish where they know the fish are, how is fishing FROM a restricted structure different to fishing TO a restricted structure .
rando

rando
13-11-2005, 09:13 PM
Brejen
I dont disagree, fishing over a navigation channel is dangerous. I think the pumping jetty is a different situation to a navigation channel.
My argument is for tolerance. Yes those blokes were on a restricted structure trying to get a fish. How is that any business #of anyone, but the authorities whom Im sure were aware of the activity even before Gary(spaniad king) voiced his opposition to the activity.

How would you react if, you set up a burley trail over a likely patch, and someone put their drift right through your spread and then wanted to bad mouth you.
Try and imagine how hard it is to get on to good fish /locations when you are landbased.. cut us poor old rockhoppers a bit of slack.
cheers
rando

Heath
13-11-2005, 09:17 PM
how is fishing FROM a restricted structure different to fishing TO a restricted structure .
rando

It's not Rando.
However the point here is that the fishing from a restricted structure is hampering the efforts of those fishing legally.

Hoges
13-11-2005, 09:20 PM
Still Illegal none the less.

Have had a couple of near misses going under bridges in the tinnie in the middle of the night. Having a line run across your body (usually upper body ) to luckily realize in the nick of time what is happening with a set of hooks rapidly approaching.

And have to agree totally with what Gary has said ---

Brett

>:(

For God's sake if you have a boat then you have a whole lot of alternative areas to catch bait from and leave the poor blokes alone that are restricted to land based fishing.

It is no big deal that some public servant bans you from fishing from a jetty or bridge for that matter as long as you are not doing harm to others. Sure don't go tossing sinkers at boats approaching bridges but on the other hand boaties should not encroach upon those who are fishing off those jetties unless the boatie has to tie up to retrieve his boat or for some other reason apart from procuring his bait suppy!

The argument that it is illegal is CRAP! It is harmless and I am sure if we obeyed all sensless rules it would be a dull and boring World! I am a boatie but can still remember being restricted land based fishing and sneaking into restricted wharf areas to hopefully gain a great new fishing spot.

"I have voiced my oppinion with the relevant department, we will see what comes of it.

Garry"

Sorry Garry but I find your attitude very un Australian and smacking of self righteousness!

I think Rando is right and you should back off being a dobber over a trivial matter such as illegal fishing off a jetty. Dob in the poachers, undersize fish takers, polluters and wife beaters but give a poor land based fisher a break.

Sorry if you don't agree but life would be even more boring if we agreed over everything! IMHO

It takes 42 muscles to smile, so instead stick up your middle finger and
say bite me in a bitchy tone!

:-X

Mad_fisherman
13-11-2005, 09:30 PM
Or better still why don't the landbasers get a job and buy a boat!!!!

HAHa

Just my opion thats all

MAD!

rando
13-11-2005, 09:34 PM
Heath
point taken,
But how much of the structure have they occupied ? 10 metres!
a bit of give and take and everyone goes home happy.

If your sticking point is the legality of thier chosen site. Consider this, we all choose to adhere to the rules or disobey them at times and places that suit ourselves.
Not too long ago I made a comment about many boats crossing tweed bar and the occupants not wearing PFDs .... people making choices that suit their circumstances.
Cheers
rando

Hoges
13-11-2005, 09:38 PM
Or better still why don't the landbasers get a job and buy a boat!!!!

HAHa

Just my opion thats all

MAD!

...and it is stupid! That is just my opinion! :)

:-/

Computers allow us to make more mistakes at a faster rate than any other man-made thing, with the exception of handguns and tequila.
;D

rando
13-11-2005, 09:39 PM
Mad
I have too many other vices to afford a boat as well ;D ;D

Hoges
13-11-2005, 09:43 PM
Mad
I have too many other vices to afford a boat as well ;D ;D

Then watch out someone does not dob you in! LOL
:o

Mad_fisherman
13-11-2005, 09:52 PM
Hoges,

What is stupid Champion ???

Mad!

rando
13-11-2005, 10:01 PM
Hoges
This is the land of the Fair Go,,, no dobbers here ;)

Hoges
13-11-2005, 10:03 PM
Hoges,

What is stupid Champion ???

Mad!

Mate, comments such as this one of yours,
"Or better still why don't the landbasers get a job and buy a boat!!!! "
It assumes that any fisho without a boat is a dole bludger. Shit I know a lot of land based fishos without boats that would prove that theory wrong. LOL
:o

Mad_fisherman
13-11-2005, 10:18 PM
Lol @ Hoges,
Dude have you ever heard of sarcasim??? i do not believe i mentioned the word Dole Bluddger i know quite a few on the dole who have boats'

Either way it was a joke Hoges.

Hey hoges

Grip your hands togeather real tight, now look at them open them up whats inside?

Nothing!!! Thats right because thats all you have got!

Cheers

MAD!

Darryl
13-11-2005, 10:29 PM
Quote from hoges.

"For God's sake if you have a boat then you have a whole lot of alternative areas to catch bait from and leave the poor blokes alone that are restricted to land based fishing."

I'm not getting into a fight about this but i will say that KNOWONE will tell me where i should or shouldn't fish in MY boat. I wont go out of my way to upset old mate on the pier etc but if i copped a set of gangs from someone who was doing the wrong thing that would be different. Then i would go out of my way.

Time restrictions and shitty weather restictions make us take the quickest and easiest options for livies, if on the pier well so be it.

Hoges
13-11-2005, 10:32 PM
Lol @ Hoges,
Dude have you ever heard of sarcasim??? i do not believe i mentioned the word Dole Bluddger i know quite a few on the dole who have boats'

Either way it was a joke Hoges.

Hey hoges

Grip your hands togeather real tight, now look at them open them up whats inside?

Nothing!!! Thats right because thats all you have got!

Cheers

MAD!

...and this is sarcasim...
“If you send someone a bag of snow and it melts in the post, they won't get your drift”

Re dole bludgers, you didn't mention that but I said "It assumes that any fisho without a boat is a dole bludger". Notice the use of the word ASSUMES?

Your last comment regarding opening hands is so stupid it does not deserve a reply and that is not sarcasim. ROFL

Hoges
13-11-2005, 10:44 PM
I'm not getting into a fight about this but i will say that KNOWONE will tell me where i should or shouldn't fish in MY boat. I wont go out of my way to upset old mate on the pier etc but if i copped a set of gangs from someone who was doing the wrong thing that would be different. Then i would go out of my way.

Time restrictions and shitty weather restictions make us take the quickest and easiest options for livies, if on the pier well so be it.

I am sure if you were at anchor fishing and someone in another boat came up alongside you and proceeded to fish you would tell them where to fish! ROFL

If you don't want to be told where to fish DON'T tell the poor blokes on the jetty where to fish. Was there an inference in the OP's post that they deliberatley tried to hit them with their casts? If so then they are out of order or did the OP mouth off at them? Who knows!

All I am trying to say is that we boaties have more options than these land based fishos and one of those is not to be a DOBBER over trivial matters.

tibbs
13-11-2005, 10:51 PM
Quote from hoges.

This is why the world is so F*%$ up, When you only think of yourself and not others.

Is the only reason your crying about it because they aren't suppose to be there or would you have the same opion if it was a public wharf and someone was in your road?

I have just come back from up north and seisa and weipa jetty get tighter than a sardine can, of course lines are going to get tangled.

Darryl
13-11-2005, 10:56 PM
"I am sure if you were at anchor fishing and someone in another boat came up alongside you and proceeded to fish you would tell them where to fish! ROFL"

Na not really, i'm out there to enjoy it like everyone else. Accidents and mishaps happen over sillier things. We all have rules and regulations to abide by, Have i broken the law ? Of course i bloody have , but the big picture here is what could have happened, not who has the right of way on a restricted jetty.

Well if say for argument sake garys prop was fouled by 50 pound line and he didn't get the anchor out in time and a lovely greenback picked him up and threw his boat on the beach who is at fault? Insurance company would love that one.

And going by garys original post he didn't even know they were there till he looked up to see 6 pair of eyes looking at him i think were his words. So he certainly didn't go out of his way to upset the jetty jumpers did he.

Anyway there is a lot of different ways to look into this , each to there own.

Darryl
13-11-2005, 10:57 PM
Sorry mate , no tears here.

"When you only think of yourself and not others"

I do think of others, and i have just as much right to be there as anyone else.

tibbs
13-11-2005, 11:13 PM
;D

tibbs
13-11-2005, 11:18 PM
So next time someone throws their line over yours, or takes that parking space you have been waiting for.

I'm sure you always remember they have the right to be there and so just go on your way without complaining ;)

rajawolf
13-11-2005, 11:33 PM
Whoever frigged up Kirra reef..should be getting the flak.! >:(

outsiderskip
14-11-2005, 05:37 AM
closed and out of bounds to public
could have been some of the workers fishing

cheers pete

gawby
14-11-2005, 07:45 AM
Lets hope that if anyone who shouldnt be on the jetty, dosent make a public liability claim if they hurt themselves or for that matter god forbid someones kid.
For the comment of being at anchor, brejen had a close call with a charter boat of S'port not to long ago. He was at anchor and the charter boat kept drifting across brejens anchor area and the last drift the deckie on the charter boat had to cut all the line from the fishers on the bout so the could move away and avoid hitting brejen. It was that close.
Graeme

Spaniard_King
14-11-2005, 03:20 PM
[color=#000000]For God's sake if you have a boat then you have a whole lot of alternative areas to catch bait from and leave the poor blokes alone that are restricted to land based fishing.

:-X

Where????

Luv..the Dobber ::)

longtail
14-11-2005, 07:23 PM

rajawolf
15-11-2005, 12:45 AM
Tweed Sand Pumpin Jetty..where is it anyway...? :-?

Spaniard_King
15-11-2005, 05:04 AM
right next tot the Tweed bar

Garry

Darryl
15-11-2005, 07:11 AM
;D I dobbed those blokes in on that jetty at manly too , clearly says no netting ,fishing,farting or whinging. #;D

I'm in your club gary. ;D

Can i be vice president? 8-)

DICER
15-11-2005, 10:20 AM
Sounds like a top fishing spot - can't wait to get there.

Billo
15-11-2005, 03:14 PM
i think the land based guys can fish there if they feel like the risk is worth it :-? Their call ...( i wouldn't )...but in a situation where they are illegally fishing , and another person legally fishing comes along , ESPECIALLY in situations like this ,....the guys on the jetty could atleast wind up the extra the lines if not all and give the boat room

after all , if jigging livies like spaniard , they would be in and out in 10 minutes ...no harm in a little courtesy ...especially if your bending or braking rules .

I don't know what kind of ding bat would get some one peeved in this situation anyhow ...these twits should go out of their way to accomodate if they ( and others fishing out there ) want to go fish out there again , after all , one call and security could be tightened.....loss to thge land based , win to the boaty

Duyz72
15-11-2005, 05:37 PM
If something has been deemed illegal, then it is - for whatever reason regardless if we agree with it or not.
You can choose to ignore it, knowing full well the risks involved.

If others are effected by someone conducting an illegal activity, they have the right of complaint.

Spaniard King - being fair and resonable to all concerned I tend to think that you probably expected no one to actually be there (as it is illegal to do so) so you went about your business. Yes they were probably already there before you and you probably drifted right in to them (no doubt to their disgust). Fair enough and understandable given the circumstances.

I am sure if it had been around any other "legal" jetty you would have felt rather apologetic, instead the grapes started to taste a bit sour.
Regardless if they were there illegally or not all you can do is make the best out of any given situation and feel to call the authorities if you wish anything to be done about it.

Given 20/20 hindsight (which we all wish we had at the time) you probably could have just called out to ask for some clear water so you can pick up a bucket of lives before you head out. It would then have been up to them to be as polite and accomodating as you.

Hope you ended up getting some livies and did end up having a good day of it.

Spaniard_King
15-11-2005, 05:55 PM
After doing some research on the matter (talked to a few locals) and using my 20/20 hindsight :o I have found out that persons unknown have been accessing the jetty for some months now and there number s are growing >:(

Looks like I am not the first to complain and up until now nuthing has been done :(

So it looks like we may have to co-habbit the area for a while longer at least till they get mooved on, best they make room cause I aint gonna be movin outta their way :o

Still waiting on the reply from the site manager 8-)

Garry

rando
15-11-2005, 10:05 PM
Try years Gary, thats why I said the authorities were aware and had in a way given tacit consent, no one was being hurt so nothing was done. I imagine some of the locals will be less than pleased if their access is removed. Its a shame because they are gentlemen.
rando

fishingnottake
16-11-2005, 09:01 AM
why is it illegal to fish off of anyway? just because it;s private property? is it unsafe?

Just_chips
16-11-2005, 05:24 PM
It wasn't all that long ago that you were not allowed to fish off the Southport sand pumping station. Then instead of trying to get rid of everybody they started charging admission instead. The Tweed could go the same way so some flexibility could be required from all parties.

Spaniard_King
16-11-2005, 06:00 PM
why is it illegal to fish off of anyway? just because it;s private property? is it unsafe?

Fishing,

I gotta feeling it is becasue it is unsafe. It is nowhere like the Sea way jetty. The walkway wouldn't be wider than 1 meter.

Garry

ssab1
16-11-2005, 08:09 PM
:-/ :-/ :-/ Rando i am confused, could you please post the rules that we can break or do we select those we want to break.

rando
17-11-2005, 07:23 AM
#(QUOTE)[I gotta feeling it is becasue it is unsafe. It is nowhere like the Sea way jetty. The walkway wouldn't be wider than 1 meter.

Gary
are we talking about the same Jetty??? because the tweed jetty has pipes along the side that are nearly 1 Metre wide, and you could drive a semitrailer down the deck and still have room for a bike path either side. Id check your GPS marks #or see your optometrist ;D ;D ;D ;D
rando

rando
17-11-2005, 07:36 AM
Rando i am confused, could you please post the rules that we can break or do we select those we want to break. [/quote]

SSAB1
I didnt say there are rules we can break.!!
I said we all DO break rules according to our personal perceptions.
However there are always exceptions,and you may be the exception, and adhere to every rule ever written anywhere ;) ;D

Heath
17-11-2005, 10:47 AM
Sounds like you've been ther before Rando :-?

Wern't there on the weekend were you :-/

rando
17-11-2005, 02:19 PM
I fish near it but havent made the trip down since fuel went through the roof.Getting onto the jetty is for the young the fit and the fearless (Idont fit any of those catergories)
Couple of blokes were leaving #it one night when i was just setting up, and they stopped for a yarn, we talked fishing a while, and I discovered Id left my knife back at the car. #So this bloke gave me his knife to save me a trip back to the car, and told me to drop it in his letterbox down in Fingal when i was finished fishing. Like I said a gentleman. Ive seen them down there regularly.

rando
17-11-2005, 02:37 PM
Heath,
Any time you want to remove me from the limitations of being shorebased I am sure Id be able to find an opening in my diary. ::) ;D ;D ;D
rando

ssab1
17-11-2005, 04:46 PM
:-/ ;D ;D ;D just those related to boating and fishing rando

3Vs
18-11-2005, 07:27 AM
Heath,
Any time you want to remove me from the limitations of being shorebased I am sure Id be able to find an opening in my diary. ::) ;D ;D ;D
rando

Where will you get your livies?

Spaniard_King
18-11-2005, 12:44 PM
Heath,
rando

Where will you get your livies?

From his mates off the jetty, where else 8-)

rajawolf
18-11-2005, 03:54 PM
Getting onto the jetty is for the young the fit and the fearless (Idont fit any of those catergories)

Damn me either I dont have the muskels to hold my rod sometimes. ;D

rando
18-11-2005, 04:02 PM
Raja
I may not be ,young fit or fearless, but i NEVER have a problem with my rod ;D ;D

rando
18-11-2005, 04:04 PM
Gary
I would never have trouble getting my bait near the jetty,
Id just fish where there were no lines hanging in the water.... simple really ;)
rando