PDA

View Full Version : Dengue

rando
19-11-2005, 09:35 PM
Just a word of caution on mozzies.
My wife has contracted Dengue Fever and has spent a most uncomfotable week in bed with a dreadful fever, and muscle / joint pain that had her to the point of tears(and she is one tough cookie). I wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy so take care where there are mozzies and keep the bushmans handy.
rando

Derek_Bullock
19-11-2005, 09:51 PM
A terrible viral disease.

http://www.health.qld.gov.au/phs/Documents/cphun/8887.pdf

Derek

Dr_Dan
19-11-2005, 10:16 PM
Interestingly institute of tropical health in townsville did a study on the reported cases of dengue. They found that the cases could all be traced to within about 150mtrs of the breeding source, so chances are, if someone contracts it, it's from around your house or a neighbours. Damn those outdoor fishponds! ;)

juicyfruit
19-11-2005, 10:45 PM
Wishing your wife a speedy recovery.

Hubby has just been diagnosed with Ross River Fever, mozzie carried virus also.....so yes good advice to take care where there are mozzies and keep the repliants handy.

ShaneJ
19-11-2005, 10:49 PM
Is your wife over the joint pain now? I know exactly how her pain feels as I suffer the exact same every day, although they got me on some steriods to allow me to get around.

cabfisher
20-11-2005, 07:04 AM
Yes I do know what she is suffering as I also had it a long time ago .
but then so did my wife but she did not suffer as much cheers Harry

thumps
20-11-2005, 07:06 AM
thats repellent Dear

:)

hubby

juicyfruit
20-11-2005, 07:09 AM
ya didnt marry me for my spelling abilities

rando
20-11-2005, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the kind wishes, Anne-marie is still very ill, back to the doctor again tomorrow i think.
Cheers
rando.
PS
yes I had a look around for a breeding site, because we have young'uns and I did not want to risk them getting sick .Ive already had it, back in 1979 when i was in Indonesia so Ill be OK.But we havent travelled recently so the source must be close to home.
Take care all
R

webby
20-11-2005, 11:12 AM
Hi Havent had Dengue, but got ross river a few years ago, and its like being run over by a train.
The funny thing is it came from mossies in a dam down my back yard.
Another thing, since having ross river, and they have never bothered me before, is midgies or sand flies my skin has now pickup up a relergic reaction to them.
Heard or was told the mossies that carry this virus are the grey or whitesh coloured ones.
regards

Derek_Bullock
20-11-2005, 11:18 AM
Hi Webby

Got Ross River back in the mid seventies and I to now get that severe skin reaction from sand flies. Might be one of the side affects. Still even to this day get a relapse of the aches and pains associated with it.

Derek

thumps
20-11-2005, 12:52 PM
i picked up my Ross River either from the Botanic Gardens or the River Front in Mackay...dam stuff knocks ya on ya butt.........still fairly early into the thing myself...have horrible days

as for sand flies...havent heard that one before...but would explain why after a week and being bitten by them...my ankles are still feeling horrible

didnt know that one...it all helps to understand why things happen

rando
20-11-2005, 05:41 PM
A-Ms symptoms now include swollen ankles ,wrists & fingers, it might be Ross River after-all.Blood test tomorrow will confirm it.
rando

zaneg
20-11-2005, 06:14 PM
.Ive already had it, back in 1979 when i was in Indonesia so Ill be OK.R

Just incase you didn't know, there are 4 strains of Dengue only one of which vaccinates against itself. You can still get the other 3 strains.

I have had one of the milder strains of Dengue and that sat me on my arse for 2 weeks. I also have had Malaria (thanks to 7 months in Timor and a trial readication drug) and have to say that I felt worse with Dengue.

I hope they find out what it is soon, nothing worst than cooking the brain with high fevers for a couple weeks.

Regards

Zane

rando
20-11-2005, 07:13 PM
I dont know which strain I had Zane but I was unconcious for 5 days and weak as a kitten for a couple of months.
Reading the print out on Ross River, it looks like we can expect a similiar convalencent period.
rando

Fishin_Dan
20-11-2005, 07:18 PM
Rob - Give Anne-Marie my best! Hope she gets better soon mate! That's terrible!

If there's anything I can do, let me know!

rando
20-11-2005, 08:24 PM
Cheers Dan ,Ive passed you kind regards along.
Looking after the billy lids for a couple of days allright with you?? ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Rob

Dug
20-11-2005, 09:39 PM
Please give her our love and sympathy I got a dose in Gladstone many years ago. Not pleasant at all.

theoldlegend
21-11-2005, 06:15 AM
Sounds like it's not very nice at all. Is there any medication you take for it? Maybe not, as nobody's mentioned it.

TOL

rando
21-11-2005, 08:19 AM
tol
Paracetamol to reduce the pain, then just ride it out, its tough, a very nasty disease.
rob

ShaneJ
21-11-2005, 08:50 AM
Prednisone will get her over it. This is what I take on a daily basis to allow me to walk.