PDA

View Full Version : Kids & Lifejackets

gunna
16-11-2005, 11:42 AM
Interested in people's thoughts. Pretty soon I will start taking the grandkids out in the boat. The 8 yr old is in Nippers and a good swimmer. The 6 yr old is in Flippers and a good swimmer. The 4 yr old swims like a fish. The boat has relatively high sides. Do I make them wear PFD's when I take them fishing in smooth waters ?? What do you think ??

Billo
16-11-2005, 12:18 PM
One of those calls mate .....hard one !

I would say if a kid can swim in the surf , then they are at a level where the risk is minised ,....although prevention is best and would be better to err on the side of caution

If they are Good swimmers ....maybe i would say make them wear them whilst under power , but can take them off when you pull up for drop anchor or drift ????

Most accidents occur whilst under steam ....this way you can have piece of mind as you can't always be prepared especially when behind the wheel like this latest tragic incident #:(

Argle
16-11-2005, 12:37 PM
I agree with Billo, jackets on while underway

Wear_the_fox_hat
16-11-2005, 12:44 PM
My kids (all good at swimming) will be wearing jackets while the boat is at speed, even in smooth waters until they are at least 12 . Then they take them off while fishing. Doesn't matter how good they can swim, if something happens & they knock their head & end up in the water without a PFD, you would never forgive yourself.

WTFH

Dodgy_Back
16-11-2005, 12:46 PM
Simple mate, Yes
My kids always wear life jackets while in the boat.
I understand that kids can be great swimmers but that is when the kids know whats going on.
Will they still be great swimmwers if all of a sudden they fall in and panic hits them ? Probably not.
Keep it safe ,get them comfy jackets for that , just in case moment.
Mick

Mick
16-11-2005, 12:47 PM
Due to the loss of the young girl last week end off Central QLD, it may soon be compulsary. I heard something about it on the news last night or the night before.

agnes_jack
16-11-2005, 01:39 PM
Go on the side of caution!!
As others have said, you can't swim if youre knocked out!!
They are way too valuable to take ANY risk.

Regards, Tony ;)

gunna
16-11-2005, 01:48 PM
OK - looks like jackets then. I can hear them whinging already ;D ;D. Better go check the BIAS cattledog.

cooky
16-11-2005, 02:01 PM
going to get expensive for you, however depending on the design of your boat (how hard it is for them to get flung out while underway) I'd suggest life jackets whilst moving. Pain to wear whilst at rest - particularly in summer.

blaze
16-11-2005, 03:16 PM
another good idea is to let the kids become acustom to what the life jacket does when wearing it in the water, like show them how the jacket will roll them into the right position, how to kick and swim if they need to, maybe why they should not swim and just consurve there energy and just float. ITS ALL ABOUT TEACHING WATER SAFETY AND NOT JUST "WEAR THIS"
cheers
blaze

cabfisher
16-11-2005, 04:13 PM
Yes Yes Yes . Get them used to wearing the jacket and they will put it on no Problem. Better to be sure than sorry . Thats my feelings anyway.
Cheers Harry

rando
16-11-2005, 04:21 PM
I dont Know if they comply with safety regs. But I saw a good idea on the New Inventors program. A rashy with an automatic inflation devise sewn in

DNO40
16-11-2005, 06:25 PM
My kids always wear a jacket whilst under way. I Let them take them off when at anchor etc.

No point in taking risks.

DNO

theoldlegend
16-11-2005, 06:37 PM
I really think it's a good idea for kids to be wearing jackets while under way, even if they're good swimmers.

A knock on the head as they went over the side and they could sink straight away. As others have said, it's all about explaining why they should wear them and the importance of doing so.

TOL

Duyz72
16-11-2005, 06:53 PM
Perhaps if you also wore a jacket while underway it will become just the thing to do, like wearing a seat belt in the car.

redspeckle
16-11-2005, 10:10 PM
Everybody should be wearing life jackets while boat is underway
A family tragedy could be averted I know what CQ family going thorugh we experience one ourselfs loss of brother and childen having no dad as a family you never get over it
I make sure my Brothers kids wear one at all times
I fully agree in what Blaze said's [smiley=thumbup.gif]
Mitch

revs57
17-11-2005, 07:15 AM
Good thread...I agree with ALL that has gone before...whilst the ocean can be our friend...it is also very unforgiving..I agree with Wear the Fox Hat...under 12's...in a jacket when under way even if a good swimmer...and in some instances, particulalry if they can't swim or its a bit jiggly, its a jacket day out...never can be too careful

cheers

Rhys

SimonT
17-11-2005, 08:23 AM
They definitely should be wearing their lifejackets while underway. While you're at anchor may depend on the type of boat - high or low sides and the ability of the parent to keep an eye on them. My 18 month old looks really cute in her lifejacket!!!

Bosunsmate
17-11-2005, 08:29 AM
IMHO.....Blaze is on the money for me......jackets all the time.....

But teach them why they need to wear them and what they need to do if they are unlucky enough to go over the side.

I know for sure that if I lost one of our young ones I would never be able to forgive myself...talk about a self imposed life sentence.

seabug
17-11-2005, 08:32 AM
Hi Guys
Perhaps the article below will be of interest.
Regards
Seabug

MEDIA RELEASE

COMMUNITY FEEDBACK SOUGHT ON VICTORIAN LIFEJACKET REGULATIONS

By Minister for Transport
September 21, 2005

The Victorian Government is seeking further feedback on proposed new regulations for the use of lifejackets, or personal flotation devices (PFDs), in Victoria.

The Minister for Transport, Peter Batchelor, said the Government had released a Regulatory Impact Statement (RIS) for public comment.

"The RIS allows the public to comment on the proposed regulations for the Victorian boating community," Mr Batchelor said.

"The development of the draft regulations has taken into account more than 3000 submissions from the public, the boating community and stakeholders since the consultation process began in June 2004."

Mr Batchelor said the public had the opportunity to comment on recommended legislative changes including:

• a recommendation that PFDs must be worn at all times by the occupants of powerboats up to 4.8 metres in length while under way; and

• a recommendation that PFDs must be worn by the occupants of powerboats between 4.8 and 12 metres in length, and all ‘keel’ and ‘trailable’ yachts at times of heightened risk, for example, when boating alone, at night or in hazardous conditions.

Mr Batchelor said the recommendations followed the deaths of 53 recreational boaters on Victorian waters over the past four years, with 15 of these deaths in 2004.

"The State Coroner has said that PFDs may have prevented most of the fatalities on Victorian waters in recent years," Mr Batchelor said.

"The Bracks Government is committed to improving safety on Victoria’s waterways and is confident the outcomes of this process will help to reduce the number of fatalities on our waters."

The draft regulations and RIS also detail proposed new requirements for:

• the carriage of safety equipment on recreational vessels in line with the national standard for recreational boat safety equipment;

• the carriage of 406MHz emergency position indicating radio beacons (EPIRBS); and

• trading vessels transiting through Port Phillip Heads and crossing Lakes Entrance Bar.

It is anticipated any regulation changes would come into effect on 1 December 2005.

Marine Safety Victoria will be accepting written submissions from the public wishing to comment on the RIS until the 24 October 2005.

A copy of the proposed regulations and RIS is available at www.marinesafety.vic.gov.au,

gunna
17-11-2005, 08:36 AM
" 53 recreational boaters on Victorian waters over the past four years, with 15 of these deaths in 2004. "

[smiley=shocked2.gif] [smiley=shocked2.gif] [smiley=shocked2.gif] [smiley=shocked2.gif]

seabug
17-11-2005, 08:49 AM
Does not help that we can have four seasons in one day!

blaze
17-11-2005, 09:14 AM
Hi Guys
In Tassie its compulsry to wear them while under power in all vessels under 6 meters. Just be aware that the inflatable PFD's aint infalable, what happens if you get KOed and you cant pull the tag to inflate or it doesnt inflate and you cant or havnt got the energy to blow it up. I know for my money I think the little discomfort in wearing a good quality normal pfd is the go as if it is needed it works every time (they still need to be well maintained though).
IMO this regulation in Tassie has saved lives (its seems the ones we loose these days dont wear jackets)
I remember when the seatbelt law come out, I was very anti seatbelt, after a few hundred dollars in fines it become second nature to wear it, life jackets are the same.
The other thing is that if you do die at least there is a better chance of finding your corpse and your family can have some closure.
This is double important when your kids are involved or when someone else kids are in your care
JUST WEAR EM
cheers
blaze
ps
my current vessels is 6m and I am not required to wear them but any night trips all people on my boat wear them and in daylight hours if condition airnt good they are also worn.

thumps
17-11-2005, 09:22 AM
[quote author=blaze link=1132105370/15#22 date=1132182893]Hi Guys
In Tassie its compulsry to wear them while under power in all vessels under 6 meters.
This is double important when your kids are involved or when someone else kids are in your care
JUST WEAR EM

being an ex tassie boy myself...i endorse this...following the fatal here in Mackay...and in my little town itself...and seeing the sad and awful expression on my 7 year olds face after she was told the news her friend had passed.....i think that although they are hard things to wear..all kids should have them on in a boat...moving or not...and adults for that matter.

i myself am a good swimmer..infact making the 1976 oylimpic training squad....but if the simple fact that a Dad drowns because he hits his head whilst jumping in to save a child that fell in..and also wasnt wearing a pfd ...If it makes the difference...then its like Bike helmets ...SAFTEY ALWAYS.

Mad_Barry
17-11-2005, 12:12 PM
With regard to the recent, tragic CQ incident, the way I read it was the boat was not underway, but they were at rest & fishing at the time. The young girl fell/slipped over the side and he went in after her. Both drowned. The family noted he was a poor swimmer. The other young girl was still in the boat.

A rule that jackets are to be on while underway would not have prevented this. I'd prefer not to see compulsory rules like that put in place, rather see it left at the skipper/parents evaluation of the conditions etc.

Gunna, what ever you decide to run with as rules on your boat, get a good, kids specific jacket. Even give it to 'em as a present. Let em try it on & use it in the pool or going for a swim etc to get used to it.

seabug
17-11-2005, 01:04 PM
I recently had to get back in a 6m boat that had run aground in a fairly strong breeze(half metre waves on lake).

Boat was fibreglass,with shaft drive.Deep draught.
It had no ladder or any way to assist boarding.

Boat had to be pushed off sandbar,against wind and then boarded and engine started.

It was only with assistance from others in the boat that I was able to get aboard.

If anyone here thinks that they could easily get back on board at sea in poor conditions ,then I would suggest that they try it ,with a lifejacket on for safety,and a couple of strong friends on hand to help

I am sure most people would get an awful surprise.
Regards
Seabug

krazyfisher
17-11-2005, 04:32 PM
the father and 7 yo were moving at the time in 15ft of water only meters from the boat ramp the father just kept diving until he did not come back up. I went to the funeral today and many people that have never made their kids wear life jackets have all said that they will from now on. maybe some good may come from this

daz35
17-11-2005, 05:21 PM
I have made my kids wear lifejackets since first time in the boat now it is automatic as soon as they get in at ramp they get jackets out and ask for help to put them on .

Baycruiser
18-11-2005, 06:10 AM
Good comments & food for thought........lifejackets while underway works for my kids. I also tend to put my younger one (4-1/2yrs) on my lap while underway and have my other child (6-1/2yrs) sit in the front seat next to me so that I can keep a close eye on them. I have a 19ft cuddy cab so they are fairly enclosed/protected when I have them up front like this while underway. Plenty of grab rails too and I make sure they use them. I only let them sit on the back seat when there is an adult back there with them hanging on to them. When at rest/fishing the jackets are off but again I keep right next to them.

Most important is to be aware of their movements at all times (can be hard at times with the excitment of a good hook up)...........you know what young kids are like, they tend to want to climb all over everything. Find if I get them set up with a rod fishing they tend to focus on that rather than climb around on the boat.

tshort
21-11-2005, 06:58 AM
Our two youngest 5 and 7 will now be wearing jackets in the boat under strict instructions from she that must be obeyed, as these two often come out with me alone. Roy this weekend agreed to wear one while travelling. It did cause some discomfort while sitting but didnt seem to restrict activities while standing.
At anchor I couldnt see the necessity, yet from reports of traffic and hoons around the Gold coast it would probably be a good thing down their.

Elysium
21-11-2005, 04:30 PM
Definately like jackets ALL the way with kids. I have a 4yo daughter and she wears hers all the time. I spent the extra money and bought a nice fitting ski design life jacket. The other things are just too bulky for the little ones!

She knows what its all about because it is her favourite floating toy in the pool as well. I have also taught her what to do if she falls out of the boat whilst travelling (which would be highly unlikely due to where she sits whilst we are travelling). She knows to put one arm (if not both) up out of the water so anyone could see her better! There is NO limit on precautions when it comes to children in boats and safety!!!!!!

I have witnessed a woman being run over by a boat at Moogerah dam years ago due to not doing this and I never want to see it happen again.

LoveLutjanids
22-11-2005, 12:47 AM
Rule 1.. Kids are unpredictable!!! It takes two seconds for them to fall over the side while your baiting their hooks.. go check how many people drown in smooth waters too.. freshwater is less buoyant also if your dam fishing.

MAKE KIDS WEAR THEIR JACKETS ALL THE TIME!! Hutchwilko make really good PFD 1 vests, they might cost a little extra but well worth it.

A SOMBRE THOUGHT: Im reminded of the news last week when a bloke somewhere in CQ lost a child over board.. they drowned.. he went over... he drowned and a poor little 3 year old girl was left in the boat.. she ended up in the drink too and by some miracle survived. Imagine the pain.. the suffering - all of which could have been avoided by making kids wear their jackets ALL THE TIME! How many adults lives would have been saved if people wore their jackets crossing bars, in rougher seas etc?

By the way, how many people reading this can access their jackets with their eyes shut within 5 seconds? Begs the question - too many times their shoved way the heck up the back of storage hatches.. when you need them you need them FAST (usually on the way out..).

Remember, life jackets dont save lives unless your wearing them!
Stay safe!

gunna
22-11-2005, 08:02 AM
Definately like jackets ALL the way with kids. I have a 4yo daughter and she wears hers all the time. I spent the extra money and bought a nice fitting ski design life jacket. The other things are just too bulky for the little ones!

Elysium - can you post a link to the type you mean please. Sounds like a good xmas present for the grandkids ;) ;)

seabug
22-11-2005, 08:30 AM
Hi,
I bought this jacket to fit my 7yo grandson.

On this first trip he wore it for 3 hours and told me that it was really comfortable.

When we got back to the ramp he left it on while he played on the sand.

Cost was $57 approx.

Regards
Seabug

gunna
22-11-2005, 11:15 AM
You got a 7 yr old to sit in a boat for 3 hours - what your secret ;D ;D ;D ;D

seabug
22-11-2005, 11:26 AM
Lad really likes his fishing.

Also, in a Port-a-Bote you can put the 5hp at 90 degrees and spin like a top

He enjoys that.