PDA

View Full Version : A new direction for rec fishing

dasher
14-11-2005, 11:39 PM
http://www.thefishingparty.info/uploads/NEWS%20Release%20for%20Thursday%2010th%20Nov%20200 5.doc

rando
16-11-2005, 11:32 AM
Good move in principal, but how are you going to get the government to alter its portfolio.
Also what minister is going to want to take on representing a huge constituency when that constituancy is barely funded, he would be on a hiding to nothing .
rando

Billo
16-11-2005, 12:15 PM
Quote "
Federal-State Relationships. The Act directs the Secretary of the Interior (Secretary) to cooperate with state fish and game departments in fish restoration and management projects. No money apportioned under the Act to a state can be expended until its legislature assents to the provisions of the Act and passes laws for the conservation of fish, including a prohibition against the diversion of fishing license fees for purposes other than administration of the state fish and game department. According to the Wallop-Breaux amendments passed in 1984, coastal states must allocate amounts apportioned to them under the Act between marine and freshwater fish projects in the same proportion as the estimated number of resident marine and freshwater anglers. § 777.

Very interesting paragraph there Dash .,....something everyone has been think about with the RFL

dasher
16-11-2005, 01:58 PM
Good move in principal, but how are you going to get the government to alter its portfolio.
Also what minister is going to want to take on representing a huge constituency when that constituancy is barely funded, he would be on a hiding to nothing .
rando

rando I can see your point mate, but it has to be done. The DPI at the moment are comparable with a union that represents the employers and employees, it doesn't work now and never will. The funding side of it would have to be aportioned across to the new portfolio. Just consider we are presently grouped under the department for primary industry and agriculture. The target is sport and recreation, which catagory do you think we belong????

dasher
16-11-2005, 02:03 PM
Quote "
Federal-State Relationships. The Act directs the Secretary of the Interior (Secretary) to cooperate with state fish and game departments in fish restoration and management projects. No money apportioned under the Act to a state can be expended until its legislature assents to the provisions of the Act and passes laws for the conservation of fish, including a prohibition against the diversion of fishing license fees for purposes other than administration of the state fish and game department. According to the Wallop-Breaux amendments passed in 1984, coastal states must allocate amounts apportioned to them under the Act between marine and freshwater fish projects in the same proportion as the estimated number of resident marine and freshwater anglers. § 777.

Very interesting paragraph there Dash .,....something everyone has been think about with the RFL

Tim the Americans are so far ahead of us governing fishing it is an embaressment mate. If we had the control they do I would be screaming for a RFL. If The Fishing Party can get this passed I personally feel our future generations will be enjoying fishing as we do. ;)

Billo
16-11-2005, 02:21 PM
With that kind of set up i agree it would be a much better outlook ...lets hope it prevails !

rando
16-11-2005, 03:09 PM
Dasher
Totally agree !!!! sport and recreation is where we should be.
My fear is, there is no mechanism for the electorate to effect such a change.
(The last statement is supposition btw)
Good luck!!
Who would you lobby to get such a change?

dasher
16-11-2005, 04:17 PM
With that kind of set up i agree it would be a much better outlook ...lets hope it prevails !

I wonder Tim, :-[ to change this will probably require the group push from all fishos, yet so far on 3 websites, you and rando are the only ones to comment. ::) Seems we haven't learn and we are our own worst enemies. :'(

dasher
16-11-2005, 04:22 PM
Dasher
Totally agree !!!! sport and recreation is where we should be.
My fear is, there is no mechanism for the electorate to effect such a change.
(The last statement is supposition btw)
Good luck!!
Who would you lobby to get such a change?

rando we have the mechanism mate, but it is us that must fuel it, and it is not happening. :-[ The federal branch of TFP have launched this and it is up to us to promote and push it forward. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

dasher
16-11-2005, 04:24 PM
Billo and rando, just a quick thankyou and congratulations on taking the time to read the information on the link, not short eh. Also it's great to have you guys post your thoughts and ideas. Cheers and icy colds Daryl.

TonyM
16-11-2005, 05:28 PM
Have only sped through it, but it looks great from what I've seen! The team that put this together have obviously been working hard trying to get a better deal for all of us.

I'll hopefully get a chance to read it properly tommorow after we've set the baby Barra free in Lenthalls, Dash I'll give you a yell soon to discuss mate.

The move from DPI to sports certainly sounds right, and would hopefully move the focus in allignment with what is a better fit for the majority of Australians, and in terms of our economy and a sustainable sensible approach to the subject.

Politicians should be smart enough to deal with the squeaky wheel syndrome effectively - upgrade the vehicle and get one with better more efficient parts! :-?

Louis
17-11-2005, 11:19 AM
To have a seperate department look after us Recreational Anglers sounds like a good idea to me.

It is such a shame that we have some politicians who "despise" fishing.

I can't understand what makes them tick.

Fishing Party: Keep up the good work. Your doing a good job.

Many Thanks

Louis

longtail
17-11-2005, 07:32 PM
an interesting idea dasher , if something like that came in here i would gladly pay for a RFL.
the fishing party , keep up the good work!
keep us informed dasher

cheers
jason

Spaniard_King
17-11-2005, 09:20 PM
Dasher,

It sure takes some reading :-/ and understanding some of the American jargon is head spinning stuff. Rec fishing seems to be well entrenched in the US and English Heirachy ::). We all need to get behind this and not just say it do it.

I am a little concerned about the right to "water access" does this mean re opening up the green zones.

Garry

luigi
17-11-2005, 09:34 PM
It has been obvious for many a year that Recreational Fishing is either ignored or at best, treated as a poor country cousin by all associated with fishery management. Whilst ever we are under the control of a Department of Primary Industry or similar, rec fishing has no hope. We will continue to be sh*t on from a great hight.

Rec fishing is not a industry. It is a sport & a recreational passtime.

The Fishing Party is spot on with trying to have this current absurd representation transferred to a more suitable portfolio.

It's the same old story however, if the vast numbers of rec fishers out there aren't prepared to show interest or support, the statis quo will not be changed.

Why are most rec fishers so bloody complacent? The she'll be right attitude only plays into the hands of the anti-fishing / green movement & we will continue on the downward path to non existance.

Top marks to TFP for trying! Keep plugging away fellas - your our only hope.

Daintreeboy
17-11-2005, 10:12 PM
I'm getting blocked.

nonibbles
17-11-2005, 11:00 PM
Only glossed over it so far but am very encouraged to read thouroughly when I have time too examine it properly and form a proper opinion. So far looks great.

rodbender
18-11-2005, 10:37 AM
Hey Dasher great idea fully agree with the change to sport and recreation looking after the needs of the recreational fisherman. Its good to see the way that other countries come to realise the importance that recreational fishing has on the economy of their country. It is a :'( shame that Australian poloticians can not see the value that rec fishing has to our economy. You would also think the way Australian polotics follows the Americans in many other issues that we would follow suit, for instance America sneezes and Australia catches the cold. The only way I can see the Fishing Party getting the changes implemented through government is maybe introducing pettitions into tackle shops. Maybe the rec fisherman has a chance of the change happening if we all unite. Government only make changes if there is something in it for them or there are pettitions with huge numbers of support behind it. This could also include the boating industry as a lot of rec fisherman by boats. So therefore the rec fisherman is also putting the dollars into the boating industry.
This is my soapbox for the day!
What do you think??

LETS UNITE!!!!!!
Rodbender

Louis
21-11-2005, 04:55 PM
Well put Luigi

I totally agree

Louis

kc
22-11-2005, 08:49 AM
This agenda may well be the hobby-horse for TFP in the lead-up to the next election. Rodbender is suggesting petitions change Government minds.......with respect they don't make much impact but the wheeling and dealing come preference negotiation time gives TFP a very real opportunity to make significant changes. More work will be done on this issue over the next year or so and, subject to member input, will likely be high prioroty issue for us.

KC

bigmack
22-11-2005, 12:11 PM
Hi Everyone - these are the issues that an opposition member might logically take up to garner support for their party and help them inturn to overthrow the current leaders and it doesnt really matter (to us) who that might be; as long as our interests are best served. (IMHO)

As such I have sent my opinion to the current opposition leader - after I had a good response about the Tin Can Bay Dolphins and hope that this will help in some way. The answer as always is critical mass - everyone who fishes must think about it and voice their concerns otherwise nothing happens (as mentioned in previous posts). Dont be complacent have your say or email somebody - it only takes five minutes

As part of the overall strategy though - we do need to set aside off limit areas as marine reserves so that fish can breed in peace and multiply. In Mooloolaba we have a new reef HMAS Brisbane which has an exclusion zone and quite a few natural fish attracting bouys and beacons around it marking the exclusion zone. Just wait till this area fires up and see what happens to the fishing in our neighbourhood. It will be very good. I have also seen a major area in Auckland Harbour set aside as a marine sanctuary for fish protection & preservation and diving. The results were amazing - imagine walking down to Alex Headlands for instance and having a snorkel and seeing XOS Snapper / Kingfish / Bream/ tailor etc etc and the value that this creates in the economy and what it does to the fishing in general. I dont know what it is but everyone likes to see fish in their natural habitat and come down to feed the fish. And the fish seem to know areas where they dont get hassled.

So, we amateur fishos need to be politically minded and agree on these areas of marine park or conservation zones to appease the anti fish / green lobbyists in return for the right to fish pretty much where we please.

I believe also that these forum's like Ausfish are the simplest way to cover as many people as possible and get the word out there - so well done for raising the issue!

As they say in Qld - We Fish and We Vote..............so take notice of what we have to say.

Cheers
BM

tincanpeter
22-11-2005, 04:01 PM
Bigmack
I totally agree with what you say. Rec fishermen must be united and speak with one voice not as individuals. It has to be approached with a plan included in that plan, Facts and Figures that can be presented to the pollies and newsmedia to enhance our arguments. Not half truths and hearsay like some of the greenies etc feed the media.
You can only win with good presentation and plenty of facts and figures.
I have no experience in any of these matters but willing to assist where possible. I use to be able to lick stamps but I understand that is nolonger acceptable.