PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Brisbane, What are my options?

chris78
09-11-2005, 08:23 AM
Hi all,

Well its taken a year of planing but im finally shifting from Wollongong to Brisbane :). We will be living in Sunnybank Hills for the time being.

Im after some tip and general info on what my fishing options are. I have a 4.1 poly to get about in. Also some indication of travel distances and times to fishing locations, both fresh and salt.

I dont know th area to well so any help will do. I mailny fish for bream, flathead, jew and Bass but thats down here and im keen to try everything.

Thanks in advance
Chris

P.S i arrive in 2 weeks and i have 5 weeks off to settle ;D in before work starts up again, im will ing to tag along or be shown around aswell.

Argle
09-11-2005, 09:06 AM
Mate options unlimited really, Sunnybank is about 30 minutes or so from the Bay or you could head to the Pin or further south to the Gold Coast/Tweed area or run up the Bruce to Bribie/Caloundra/Mooloolaba all within 1 to 2 hours run and thats not even starting to talk about the fresh!

Your best bet (and what I did when I moved here) is to get a copy of Beacon to Beacon its like a UBD for the water and will give you heaps of ideas on where things are and also all the beacons and marks, which is a great help especially down at the Pin.

Finally welcome to Queensland so now you can slow down relax drink XXXX and enjoy life like the rest of us! 8-)

Billo
09-11-2005, 09:19 AM
ANYTHING but the XXXX .... #:o #:-/ # ;D But bring on the BUNDY #;D ;)

C'mon up , i used to live in sutherland shire, and my Wife is from the Gong , its a good move , and i am sure you will love it !

As for the fishing options , where to start ...huge options!

You are coming at a good time of year , the bream and flathead etc are around year round , but this time of year you can catch anything in the bay from Jew and Snapper , to Tuna and Mackeral

Fishing off qld is a lot different to down south . especially around the bay

Up north you can get out off Bribie to fish the top of the bay ....main targets up there are your spin targets - mackeral and tuna , along with Cobia , whiting , jew crabs and much more .
Off the sunshine coast there is plenty of reefs to catch snapper and the other reefies , as well as billfish coming on soon

The bay is HUGE ! ....a lot of the islands still have snapper around them ( Mud island . Peel island etc ) and can also be fished for jew , mackeral , #bream , tuna ...

Southern end of the bay you have the logan river , Jumpin pin and many islands .
The logan and pin area are good for chasing you flathead , and we have some MONSTERS up here !
Also good for Jew huntung .

Gold coast broadwater again is good for flathead / jew / whiting / bream etc ....if you can beat the crowds , and again plenty of reef offshore to go for reefies

Best place to start your trips is reading the reports ...put up a post in ' going fishing ' with the amount of time your planning on spending on the water and the fish you want to chase and i am sure you will get a few responses with pointers ....

and get a copy of the beacon to beacon .....there is a lot of area in the southern bay you can get into trouble if you don't study the maps ( heaps of shallow reef / sandbars etc etc )

Az
09-11-2005, 09:44 AM
moving to little tokyo ey, I lived there most my life

its roughyl 45min-1hr to the coast though the logan river isn't too far south

I think Billo has pretty much covered it in a nutshell

with the exception of the brissy river, mud etc

depending on where you put your boat in could be a 20-40 min trip to the ramp

welcome to the sunshine state 8-)

imported_admin
09-11-2005, 09:49 AM
Loads of options available, best to get a Beacon to Beacon as stated above.

Also have a look at Fitzy's Website for info on the Freshwater side of things up here - http://www.ausfish.com.au/fitzy/

And check out Nugget's for Saltwater info - http://www.ausfish.com.au/nugget

chris78
09-11-2005, 11:47 AM
Thanks all,

My wife and i are really excited about getting up there. How will i go in the bay in the 4.1 poly?

Ill grab a beacon to beacon when i arrive, it sounds like a good start.

Chris

madman1
09-11-2005, 01:26 PM
Sunnybank. Bloody hell you should have moved to the northside.lol

WOOF
09-11-2005, 02:39 PM
Welcome mate.
Sunnybank is quite a central spot to anywhere really.
You'll love Little Tokyo.

Billo
09-11-2005, 04:01 PM
Thanks all,

My wife and i are really excited about getting up there. How will i go in the bay in the 4.1 poly?

Ill grab a beacon to beacon when i arrive, it sounds like a good start.

Chris

Moreton bay is a HUGE body of water
It does get affected by wind very easily , much like open water .
With that said , many people fish in boats of your size and smaller .
I fish out of 4.35 Seajay , just an open tiller steer , and that covers the bay and beyond quite easily on a good day .
areas like peel island is easily acessible from Cleveland , and only a 15 - 20 minutes run accross ....Mud island again is only 20 minutes from the ramp in the river , so you can get into some good fish and still be close to the ramp if wind changes

There has been many a discussion on safe practices and so called ' safe boat sizes '
But realistacly as long as you know what you and the boat can take , and read the weather appropriately you are not bound to inshore ......we fish quite regularly offshore , and so do a lot of people in tinny's up here

kevy
09-11-2005, 05:07 PM
hi chris 78. come from down that way myself. been here 10 years & loving it. just sort of settle down & explore & watch the posts. great place, i,m at bribie, good luck, kevy. :D :D :D :D

Scalem
09-11-2005, 09:17 PM
Hi Chris,

I agree with what all the guys said, but with respect your Poly, is that the Challenger 4.1 as on http://www.polycraft.com.au/boats.php?Boat=ChallengerSeries ??

I have an old Mustang 4.3 fibreglass, and I was coming back from a day's fishing when a Poly came up alongside me. I can say he seemed much more comfortable than I was, the Poly seems to glide over the Morton bay chop compared to mine. It handles the conditions really well, and a friend of mine has one also. I live at Loganholme, about 10 mins east of Sunnybank, and lived in Brisvegas all my life, so I can say your options are going to take a while to explore. If you like a feed of prawns, practise your cast netting which is still legal here. The big Bananas migrate every March/April - a fishing event not to be missed and something permanently etched into my calendar. ;)

Scalem

mjc85
09-11-2005, 10:46 PM
Welcome mate.

Sorry if i offend you, i am not meaning to sound racist, but why the hell is there so many asian people in Sunnybank ?

chris78
10-11-2005, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the tip guys,

Billo, Scalem,
Thanks for the help guys, the poly handles a bit of chop quite well and ive had a fair bit of experience down this way with rough weather, Inshore on offshore, im very keen to catch some of your macks and longtails, would be great fun from the small boat.

The boat is the challenger 4.1 open boat, with a 40hp tiller steer. Also have a 55lb minkota bowmount.

Im keen as mustard now to get up and start fishing, ill be sure to put up some trips in the going fishing board.

Sunnybank is only a temporary place, we are renting of family until we get settled and work out were we will buy, probably 2 years.

Anyhow thanks again

Cheers
Chris

Billo
10-11-2005, 08:45 AM
The tuna are here now , although going to get better in numbers as the time goes on ....spotty mackeral have just started showing up . Lost a few slugs to them on the weekend actually :(

As for the LT's .....we all want em ;) Elusive buggers , but they are there if you know how , when and where to find them...ps , let me know when you do ;D

Touchy - R.I.P.
10-11-2005, 09:07 AM
G'day Chris & welcome, another word of advice when you get here, you could do a lot worse than subscribe to one of our local fishing mags here in Brissie, "Bush n Beach", lots of local content & with a couple of very knowledgable writers (& ausfish superstars) Webby & Nugget for the Bay & surrounds, Health Zygnerski around the traps on the Gold coast & Mark "Mono" Stewart & Tye Porter a bit further to the south,if you want anything in the soft plastic line I'm sure "Blackbelt Beefaman" ::) :P or Aquarius or even myself (with my limited bit of knowledge) would only be too happy to help out a fellow ausfisher newbie.Cheers Touchy.><>

DR
10-11-2005, 09:45 AM
Welcome mate.

Sorry if i offend you, i am not meaning to sound racist, but why the hell is there so many asian people in Sunnybank ?

saw a map once, had a dragon drawn on it, apparently sunnybank area is in the belly of the dragon & from what i can gather it is the best place to be for good fortune. so it is for reasons of superstition..

Az
10-11-2005, 09:54 AM
Welcome mate.

saw a map once, had a dragon drawn on it, apparently sunnybank area is in the belly of the dragon #& from what i can gather it is the best place to be for good fortune. so it is for reasons of superstition..

It is actually the eye of the dragon, which brings good luck, thus how sunnybank has grown

DR
10-11-2005, 11:47 AM
Welcome mate.

saw a map once, had a dragon drawn on it, apparently sunnybank area is in the belly of the dragon & from what i can gather it is the best place to be for good fortune. so it is for reasons of superstition..

It is actually the eye of the dragon, which brings good luck, thus how sunnybank has grown

thanks az, i should have paid more attention to the story, but then it was a real estate agent that told me... ;) ok it's something to do with a dragon :)

WOOF
10-11-2005, 02:46 PM
Spot on with "the dragon".
Good luck area.
Just don't ask the Chinese girls to "tame the tiger" or you may be kung-fu'ed to death!!

gropeher
10-11-2005, 05:01 PM
Hi,
Wellington Point has the full house sign up. Ipswich should be a good spot for you. Mid way to salt and fresh water zones. ;D

Cheers..

skippa
10-11-2005, 07:59 PM
It is actually the eye of the dragon, which brings good luck, thus how sunnybank has grown #

I worked in Sunnybank for many years and I was told by an old Chinaman that Sunnybank/Wishart was on the head #of the Dragon. To live on the Dragon is good luck, but the best luck is to live on the head ... so I'm told by this old Chinese bloke, might just be BS ...... Can't believe everything ya hear :-?

Mrs Skip also tells me I'm good looking too, who knows..... :o #;D

Cheers,
Tony # 8-)

bidkev
10-11-2005, 11:13 PM
[quote author=chris78 link=1131488604/0#5 date=1131500874]Thanks all,

<snip>
There has been many a discussion on safe practices and so called ' safe boat sizes '
But realistacly as long as you know what you and the boat can take , and read the weather appropriately you are not bound to inshore ......we fish quite regularly offshore , and so do a lot of people in tinny's up here

Billo's spot on. I bought a bigger rig...........or rather the deckie did, based on a safer trip around the bay and offshore. I am currently acquiring a 3.95 tinnie and already I am thinking as to how I can put it to use in the bay. On those flat calm winter's days, what's the point of launcing anything bigger, as long as the rig can handle the amount of people on board?

kev

Shell
23-11-2005, 10:31 PM
Little Tokyo LOL.... it sure is....

We are about 15 mins from there too....