PDA

View Full Version : North Straddie Advice

boatboy50
23-11-2005, 08:07 PM
Hey Guys,

Heading to North Straddie on Friday morning for the first time, 4x4 in hand but boatless.

Does anyone have any advice of must sees or do's while i'm there.

Havn't booked accomodation yet, doing it off the cuff. Taking tents and gear but prefer to stay in a small cottage somewhere. Is there anywhere you guys would recommend.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Darren

straddie
23-11-2005, 09:53 PM
Heya Boatboy50

It kind of depends what you like mate. For peace and quiet Amity or Flinders would be my choice, or if you prefer a little bit touristy then Point Lookout. If you are taking a family with kids one of the houses backing onto Flinders beach is good, there are easy walkways down to a usually fairly safe beach, fishing can be hot or cold though. I think... :o Raine and Horne at point lookout handle most of them. Straddie Realty at Amity handle a lot of Amity houses.

Must sees... umm I like to see lots of water and animals so an early drive along main beach down to the pin throwing a line in along the way usually has the roos up on the dunes and eagles wandering around.
I was over there on Monday and the gutters were very ordinary, what I call bream gutters almost the entire length till you get well down the pin where your option is then open water. Hence I cut my run over there short.

A trip up to the point (lookout) to have a look off the headland back toward Amity and Moreton across to the group is good. Further along the SLSC to peek at the gorge and down along main beach is ok as well. There are walks arond the headland areas if you into that or a wander down onto the beaches might show up a few white pointers ;) as they seem to school up this time of year.

For more touristy type stuff grab one of the brouchures from the barge office, they will point you in the right direction.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
24-11-2005, 06:25 AM
.... or a wander down onto the beaches might show up a few white pointers #;) as they seem to school up this time of year.

just to correct straddie on his species identification.

I believe you'll find they are bronzies at this time of year.

The white pointers arrive with the colder currents in August are are only evident for brief periods every day. Some of them can be huge.

seeyainthesurf,
chris

ps I will be over on wednesday

Gbanger
24-11-2005, 11:10 AM
Amity has cottages... stayed theres once about 7-8 years ago... its really peaceful there too, as matty hayden knows..

bushbeachboy
24-11-2005, 09:46 PM
About 6 years back I stayed at a cottage in Amity. I think the place was called Cosy Cottages. It is a small complex of about 5 cottages and 2 of them are right on the water, complete with veranda. Nice and quiet, fishing literally at the back door. Make sure you have a look at the lookout. Not sure if you can drive all the way to the top anymore, but the view is spectacular. There are also some great views to be had from the hills behind Dunwich. A drive down Main Beach to the Pin is almost mandatory. Make sure you do it on low tide. Brown Lake and Blue Lake are really good freshwater swimming holes.
Gotta luv Straddie.
Cheers