PDA

View Full Version : trawler up the creek

wayneoro
21-11-2005, 09:14 AM
well its time again for trawlers again burnett river okay they need to make a living but theres one that works the hell out of rubyanna creek his nets must almost go from side to side prawns main catch squid fish also theres hugh flock birds feed on discards from his sorting table surely nothing escapes this creek is a v.popular for crabbing and cast netting for prawns it has to be massive nursery for this area surely theres a better way to make a living then reducing the fishing opportunitys for so many p.s im a ordinary bloke no knowledge of statistics etc just my personal observations guys tell me if im wrong

bigmack
21-11-2005, 09:52 AM
Report him - I was under the impression that beam netting is illegal now. They are not allowed to back the trawler right up into the creek and then rake everything out.

Can anyone confirm this.?

Big_unit
21-11-2005, 11:33 AM
Sounds pretty wrong to me, netting everything out of a creek that is. I do not know what the regs for trawlers are, be interesting to hear though. If you see activity like that, take pictures and record all the info you can then make the call to your local fisheries office.

Cheers
James

wayneoro
21-11-2005, 04:45 PM
mate he does it 2 or 3 times a day must be legal weve been fishing at the creek mouth he just swoops past i have heard you can buy bait fish from him so what does he feed to the birds

devocean
21-11-2005, 09:27 PM
most creeks have designated areas where trawlers are allowed to go. At my local creek there is signage which says that trawlers are not allowed to go past this point. It is about 2km from the mouth, however they often just go past these signs. If it is reallt annoying you go get about 10 besser bricks and throw them where he trawls and watch him snag up (old nets make good reefs)

GES
21-11-2005, 10:50 PM
most creeks have designated areas where trawlers are allowed to go. At my local creek there is signage which says that trawlers are not allowed to go past this point. It is about 2km from the mouth, however they often just go past these signs. If it is reallt annoying you go get about 10 besser bricks and throw them where he trawls and watch him snag up (old nets make good reefs)

A couple of old engine blocks or a roll or two of old barbed wire will get his attention too.

GES

straddie
22-11-2005, 08:29 PM
Heya Wayneoro

The besser bricks and engine blocks suggestions are good if you are a gutless weasel and don't mind risking killing someone. In which case also recommended is if someone anchors in your fishing spot following them back to the ramp and setting fire to their car and trailer should also appeal to you.

If you prefer a legal approach report the activity to fisheries who will advise if it is legal or not and take action if required. If it is legal but you don't agree that it should be, lobby your local representitive and the fisheries minister to have the laws changed.

ssab1
22-11-2005, 08:50 PM
:-? :-? :-?hey straddie bit harsh for someone you havent met silver member??

GES
22-11-2005, 09:42 PM
:-? :-? :-?hey straddie bit harsh for someone you havent met silver member??

Well... he's entitled to his opinion ssab1 and a bit of emotion if he feels like it.

My thoughts are these ... If the trawlerman is lawfully allowed to work the area in question, there is no argument. He has the right to be there and good on him.

On the other hand, if the trawler operator is doing something that is illegal and at the same time socially unacceptable, he obviousley has no conscience ar qualms about what he is doing to the fishery, other people's rights or anything else.
To him it will be a simple matter of selfish economic benefit to himself and bugger the rest of us.

Calling Fisheries might be OK but, if I've read this right, he is in and out quickly and away

The Fisheries Officers have only a very small chance of getting there in time to actually catch #him in the act to get the necessary prima facie evidence to successfully charge him, even if they got a phone call while he is in there working.
In court, he is innocent until he can be proven guilty.
#
However, if Fisheries do catch him, the trawler operator #will already have weighed up how much money he can make over a period, by getting away with this activity, as against what the probable fine would be ... if and when he is caught.
Like I said, it's a simple matter of economics.

Now... A couple of hours removing a "foreign object" from his beam trawl, and the time and inconvenience to replace the net on the beam, means he won't work for the rest of that day anyway and then he has a damaged net to repair or replace.

He will understand that those "objects" were there for a reason. He will know that there is also a good chance of him hooking up on "something" again and costing him again, if he continues to carry out this socially unacceptable activity .

The economic equation starts to change and he simply won't go back again because it ain't worth it.

Straddies emotional outburst about killing someone who hooks up some bricks or whatever with a beam trawl in a creek and burning cars at the ramp is a colourful touch but not really consequential to this situation.

GES

straddie
22-11-2005, 10:01 PM
Heya Ssab1

Yes there is a little venom in my post but the shot is actually at Devocean and GES in this instance and a build up from multiple other posts suggesting other crap, not Wayneoro.

IMO recently there has been way too many suggestions of attacking people, throwing sinkers, lures, cutting ropes, and setting traps which in those famous words is "funny till someone loses an eye" or worse.

Suggestions of sabotaging blokes legally going about their work and possibly risking lives is right up there with feral greenies putting spikes in trees.

GES
23-11-2005, 09:34 AM
Heya #Ssab1

Suggestions of sabotaging blokes legally going about their work and possibly risking lives is right up there with feral greenies putting spikes in trees.

Straddie

Where in our posts on this subject have Devocean or I said that "blokes legally going about their work" should be inconvenienced? Quite the contrary.
You are entitled to an opinion, as much as #we are on this forum, but putting words in other people's mouths and then firing from the hip and intentionally misrepresenting what they said to make your own point is also a familiar feral greenies strategy.

GES

straddie
23-11-2005, 10:54 AM
Heya GES

I might fire from the hip on occassion when it is justified but I don't put words in peoples mouths nor purposely misrepresent them.

"Where in our posts on this subject have Devocean or I said that "blokes legally going about their work" should be inconvenienced?"
That would be in the same place as where you two said to only put the obstacles in areas where they are trawling illegally, ::)
No limits were suggested by either of you initially but you did set some boundaries in your second post. Regardless, you are recommending an illegal and potentially lethal act.

I am a big supporter of people having their say whether I agree with them or not and I also reserve the same right for myself. But I believe those opinions should be within acceptable limits, so if people want to suggest driving at 160kph towing a couple of ton of boat in a 4wd is acceptable, or laying traps for trawlers, or anything else which is both illegal and capable of causing serious injury then I am going to be less than gentle in my replies.

TonyM
23-11-2005, 02:17 PM
I can understand the emotion on this topic.

The same thing happens here in the Burrum River, a mate has seen them going up the river until they physically cannot get any further (breaking branches off the mangroves with their beams) and then trawling the entire system >:(

If you see him again get as many pics as you can and make sure you've got Fisheries number in your mobile - It comes in very handy if you see anything untowards as at least you can hopefully increase the chances of them getting caught, if indeed they are doing it illegally (which I believe is the case in the Burrum)

If it is legal then I also agree that we should all do our best to ensure that is changed, it is obviously unsustainable and destructive.

88fishframe
23-11-2005, 06:49 PM
The major problem with our amatuer fishing industry is that for the likes of us it is not an industry as such as most of us are more inclined to fight with each other rather than the true enemy. I am involved heavily with many Rural Industry associations [like AgForce, CaneGrowers ect ...] and the sooner we find the secret to banding together as mates the sooner we will stick it to the beurocrats.

Morlers
24-11-2005, 08:07 AM
Hi Guys

About a year ago I reported a beam trawler operating in Rubyanna Ck to the Fisheries. From memory, I think the name of the trawler had 'star' in it. On investigation, they advised me the operator had a class 7 (?) endorsement on his licence and was lawfully able to trawl that creek. Morally, now that's another question.

:) :)

Morlers

wayneoro
24-11-2005, 09:42 AM
yhanks mate guess that answers that after spending few hours fishing no results then watching wooden trawler empty the creek i didnt think it would be possible for 1 person to be allowed to do so much harm well thats how it looks to me i know you can catch the odd fish but they are tough going yet the river is in great condition we regularly see dolphins by sugar term wharf theres loads baitfish cheers

nils_desporandum
24-11-2005, 11:44 AM
so has any one been aboard a trawler that "hooks up"?

Morlers
24-11-2005, 03:13 PM
Isn't it great when you see the dolphins? Makes you think every thing is right with the world...then something like this trawler happens. :'(

Anyway..might see ya on the Burnett Wayneoro.

:) :)

Morlers

fisher28
24-11-2005, 07:36 PM
gday,i beam trawl for a living.have done so since i left school.to try and answer some of the questions here we go.a beam can be no wider than 5 metres.to the best of my knowledge we are allowed up most of the rivers and sum creeks but not all.we use dpi approved fish excluders which we must do by law.im sure if you approach this guy in a friendly manor,he should be happy 2 answer any questions you have(if he cares about his living he will!!).my boat would not fit up a creek if the bar was touching the mangroves as it draws about 1.2m and i wouldnt be able to turn round(cant turn a 9m boat in 5m circle).we often hook up on various objects and it can be very unpleasant.we do try to keep away from people fishing on the bank but unfortunatly there can always be a rogue,and we cant do much about it.and if you are the sort of person who would go 2 the trouble of putting an engine block in your tinny and dumping it on 1 of our shots good for you,say gday 2 your chiro 4 me.any more qs let me know and ill try 2 answer them.ps i mainly work in thhe brissy river.chow

HAMMER740
24-11-2005, 11:40 PM
Hi Guys,
An interesting topic that has been battled out for many years and probably many more to come. May I suggest a camera on board is very handy not only for photographing the big ones. Just make sure the boats' details are clear, what it is doing and maybe a familiar landmark in the background. Keep in mind not all recreational fishermen do the right thing also.
Stay safe