PDA

View Full Version : Govt to buy back 600 fishing licences

DaneCross
23-11-2005, 02:57 PM
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=73793

Govt to buy back 600 fishing licences
Wednesday Nov 23 13:41 AEST
The federal government has announced it plans to buy back about 600 commercial fishing licences as part of a $220 million package to ease pressure on fish species in Australian marine waters.

Fisheries Minister Ian Macdonald said the aim of the plan was to reduce fishing pressure on 17 fisheries regarded as being under pressure.

"Today I am announcing the largest structural adjustment package ever offered to the Australian fishing industry," he told reporters.

"We want to decisively end overfishing in commonwealth waters.

"It's about making the tough decisions today so that we do have a fishing industry tomorrow."

The centrepiece of the Securing our Fishing Future package is a one-off buyback scheme worth $150 million.

It would be available to licence-holders around the country but was expected to have its greatest impact in the continent's south-east.

A further $70 million will go towards tasks such as offsetting the impact of reduced fishing activity on onshore businesses and towards a fund to generate new economic and employment activities in affected fishing ports.

"We want to reduce the number of boats and increase the number of fish," Mr Macdonald said.

"To reduce the number of boats, the commonwealth will buy back fishing licences in commonwealth fisheries.

"To increase the (numbers of) fish around, the Australian Fisheries Management Authority (AFMA) will be substantially reducing the allowable catch of overfished species.

Mr Macdonald said the states would be asked to follow up with cutbacks of their own.

"As part of this package, we are going to be asking, particularly NSW, Tasmania and Victoria to actually take some complementary action," he said.

Mr Macdonald said the main impact would specifically be on overfished fisheries, most notably the fisheries around the NSW, Victorian and Tasmanian coasts.

These include the eastern tuna and billfish fishery and Bass Strait central zone scallop fishery, both of which are low-return or even negative return fisheries.

The plan does not affect the southern bluefin tuna fishery, which is internationally regulated.

"We'd be hoping to achieve a very substantial reduction in the number of fishermen," he said.

"We'd be looking at a target of about half (the 1,200 commonwealth licences) that are currently there.

"It will depend on who offers those licences. It is a voluntary kind of process where it's not compulsorily forcing anyone out."

"But I think the industry is in such a state that there will be many lining up to offer their licences.

He said about 17 per cent the south-east's fishery comprised commonwealth licence holders.

There could also be some impact on supermarket prices.

"There'll be less fishermen producing less fish to the fish markets," Mr Macdonald said.

"Already, 60 per cent of the fish that we use in Australia is imported fish and I suspect that that will go up a bit with the catch of freshly caught Australian produce, particularly from the south-east fishery (likely to fall)."

He said it was difficult to predict where the impact would be felt most.

"Quite obviously fishing communities like Lakes Entrance, Portland, Eden, perhaps Ulladulla and Bermagui, perhaps Mooloolabah in Queensland, will be the ports that could have some impact in these cutbacks."

Mr Macdonald said the south-east industry fishing association approached him about six months ago seeking a buyback to get the industry back onto a sustainable level.

"My fairly extensive contact with fishermen around Australia in the last 12 months tells me that there are many of them just hanging on by their fingernails," he said.

"I think many of them will grab at this lifeline being offered to them by this government and get out with some dignity."

rando
23-11-2005, 04:33 PM
I hope there is none of the selling unused licences at premium to buy back into the industry we saw awhile ago, otherwise... HOORAY!!!!... some sense at last
rando

bushbeachboy
23-11-2005, 06:26 PM
What's the downside for rec fishers? Are we going to be further restricted by areas/bag limits/sizes etc?

Burley_Boy
23-11-2005, 08:22 PM
Sounds good if they reduce both bag limits and licences, otherwise you'd just have less fishermen chasing more fish. If the end result is less fish caught in commercial fishery then it sounds good to me.

rando
23-11-2005, 08:29 PM
Get rid of the tunnel netters and beach netters first and watch fish stocks improve

JubJub
23-11-2005, 08:32 PM
Thats great news as far as I am concerned. And I wont even complain if they reduce bag limits for the amatuer as well so my grandkids can still catch a fish when they are old enough.

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
23-11-2005, 08:45 PM
The reading of this does sound good. The reality is yet to be seen. Much of this seems be "perhaps and maybe" and as for we as rec fisherman I can't decify where we stand. Time will no doubt tell.

Cheers
Dave

fisher28
24-11-2005, 07:48 PM
wonder if they want a beamie,hope so.all these imports have made it 2 hard.but its always the big boats that have already got money,that get the money.

banshee
24-11-2005, 08:03 PM
Just heard on the news there's $150 million allocated for commercial fishers between Taree and Tweed Heads,going by what was said it will be for who ever wants out.

aussiefool
25-11-2005, 06:12 AM
last time it happened, buying back lic. , the smart ones took the money and then bought an other licence of someone not using it and were better off with cash in there pockets ...... hope it is better controled this time

agnes_jack
25-11-2005, 09:48 AM
A reduction in commercial fishing can only lead to improved rec fishing!!

:) ;)
I just wish they would take some of the pressure off the estuary systems!
Where it is really needed. Fishing is sustainable IF managed properly.

Regards, Tony

bugman
25-11-2005, 09:53 AM
Shame that this is around 5-10 years to late for the fisheries it's intended for. The scallop and tuna fishery is in real trouble.

As the document says it's for COMMONWEALTH licenses.

The Commonwealth fisheries are not fisheries that we play in really - save for the odd pelagic species. Almost all the fishing boats you see up and down the coast in Queensland would fall outside of thise buyback - save the odd longliner who may want to get out.

Brett

fishman7
25-11-2005, 12:09 PM
hi guys
if they would get rid of the jap longlines and the factory ship out of our water this would help a lot as these boat dont go back to they are full.as for the buy back look what happen last time.as for then cacthing less fish no the government is only buying licences so others with buy the fish quoatas left for these boats that do sell there licences.its just means less boats.but its not going to help with fish stocks.
cheers
danny

GES
25-11-2005, 12:26 PM
You can bet the family jewels that holders of redundant licences will be the first to line up for the payout.
Oh well ... I suppose that gets rid of licences that, if sold on to young active commercial fishers, would come back into full operation.

If ACTIVE licencees are not bought out and if, afterwards, effective quotas are not set for those left in the industry, it will all be a waste of tax payers money.

GES

rando
25-11-2005, 01:39 PM
I think minister McDonald said a reduction in TAC is planned the aim is... "more fish and less boats fishing"(quote).
Lets hope they achieve something by it.
he also said they expected the states to follow suit and further reduce licences.

rando

theoldlegend
26-11-2005, 09:33 AM
I'm a bit confused by all this. :-? But then, it doesn't take much to totally confuse me.

Where does the Federal Government come into the picture? I thought licences were controlled by the individual States. From what I've been reading, the system has been exploited in NSW. I would like to see only active licences bought back and those licences that haven't operated for a number of years should not be allowed to be bought by somebody selling an active licence. If a licence hasn't been operated for a certain period, then it should be cancelled.

The initial funding in NSW for the buybacks was only a loan and through our annual fees, it is we who are paying to repay the loan and also for this exploitation. The NSW Fisheries website expenditure figures would indicate that about 9 or 10% of the fees collected goes in admin costs with a similar figure spent on compliance. By "compliance" I imagine is the costs of the salaries, wages etc of the inspectors. So about one fifth of the total collected goes on stuff other than for what the original purpose was intended.

If this proposal by the Feds falls into the same trap as NSW, then unfortunately I think it might all be a bit of a waste of time. Is there an election coming up soon?

TOL

Gazza
26-11-2005, 12:28 PM
JMO...
The word "VOLUNTARY" buyout..worries me ::)

The reduced TAC's ,sound "good on paper"....BUTTTT...
e.g. tac is 10,000T...no fish left :-/ equals 6,500T only "able" to be caught ,TAC reduced to 6,500T ::)

Is that "a win" :o :o :o

Also ,reduction of hooks.......read the fineprint ,another 2.5 MILLION will be "newly allocated" in the EEZ :o :o :o

NAHHHH....this crap is a "pension fund"...plain 'n simple ,funded by taxpayers federally ::)
p.s. that's you 'n me anyways ;)