PDA

View Full Version : OT....setting up an aquarium with cod/yellowbelly

paz
22-11-2005, 11:14 AM
does anyone know of a site that i can check out regarding information for setting up an aquarium with a few of our local freshwater natives(cod,yellowbelly,eel tail catty)....would really like to get a couple of cod fingerlings (from the local fish shop...NOT undersized fish from the river ;)) and put them into my tank.....do relise could only keep a couple due to them being rather aggresive...just need info to do with feeding,water etc....
paz

Az
22-11-2005, 11:38 AM
firs of all how big is your tank? Cod are great little fish have kept a few in the past

what exactly is it you need to know

http://www.nativefish.asn.au/cod.html

there is a little info on them and other natives you could look at keeping, the cod get fairly aggressive once they gain some size and will most likely rip the yellowbelly apart unless you have a fairly large tank, provide the cod with a nice hollowed log/cod hole and he'll spend most his time there, water parameters can vary from softer water around mid to high 6 PH to 7.4 PH, they're not too fussy on PH so long as you keep it at a constant level, test the water he was kept in at the shop and keep it close to that and keep the water temp around 27

with regards to feeding, depending on what they have been fed at the fish shop, generally they will be lazy and feed them small live fish, though you can starve them for upto a week and offer floating pellets if thats what your after, otherwise I have always fed my fish on chopped up bits of whitebait and prawns, the cod will eat more as a juvinile but will tend to eat every few days as he starts to mature

throw a handful of rocksalt in the tank each or every 2nd water change, it will keep him happy

I would suggest a baby salmontail or eel tail catty as a tankmate or some other native grunters like the coral or yellowbar-tailed grunter as they can hold their own and will grow at a similar rate, the cod will outgrow it eventually but not for years

if you don't know about cycling your tank water etc send me a PM and I can give you the heads up

paz
22-11-2005, 11:57 AM
thanks AZ,,,the tank is 36"x14"x18"...have actually seen that page,,,got it in favourites for further ref ;)...your right,,,not much info at all.....searched high and low..was thinking i might get maybe 1 small cod and maybe a eel tail catty to start with and see how they go,,unless you think that size tank would be ok for more.....have kept a few everyday fish before,,just thought i would give the natives a go...as far as cycling,,,yep will need a pointer on that....you have a pm...
paz

Gbanger
22-11-2005, 02:00 PM
paz and az, could this be the beggining of a beautiful friendship.. ;D

paz
22-11-2005, 03:13 PM
with a little banger it'd be nearly perfect #:o [smiley=laola.gif]

Az
22-11-2005, 04:16 PM
paz and az, could this be the beggining of a beautiful friendship.. # ;D

not quite as beautiful as the one you have with little sarge there :-*

Elvis
23-11-2005, 01:18 PM
G'day,
I've got a Murray Cod in a tank at home. I got 3 as fingerlings maybe 4mths ago. One of them was much more aggressive than the other two, and as a result of him taking more than his share of the food, he got much bigger. First he took out the smallest one (killed him before I could get there) and then he belted the other one around so often I eventually took it out and out it in the dam.
Now he's maybe 12cms long, with his size exploding in recent weeks, since I switched his food to live guppies.

I used to feed him earth worms, but then summer came and the guppies/tadpoles in my dam came out and I've been feeding him solely on that.
Eventually he'll go into the dam (but has to be big enough to survive the 50 Silver perch and 16 bass already in there).

I've never checked the PH level or anything, I do a 1/3 water change about once a fortnight, a slightly bigger one combined with a fliter clean about once a month.
I also put a couple of Aquarium liquids in, one to combat algae and the other that seems to be salt based to keep fish healthy.

paz
24-11-2005, 10:27 AM
thanks elvis....thought that about them figthing..think i might get myself one little cod and one little eel tailed catty.....see how i go...also a good time now for catching shrimp in the river,,,so might try feeding them to em......
paz

eV@Ns_BoY
27-11-2005, 01:50 PM
IVE HAD ALL KINDS OF NATIVES IN AQUARIUMS, SUCH AS BASS, CATTIES, BARRA. BUT IM YET TO GET MY HANDS ON THE HOLY GRAIL.....THE GOODOO COD OR A LITTLE RED TERROR MANGROVE JACK. I LIVE IN TOOWOOMBA, DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHERE I COULD GET ONE FROM IN SE QUEENSLAND...BTW THE SET UP YOU MENTIONED SOUNDS OK, I NORMALLY PACK A SH!T LOAD OF STRUCTURE, STICKS AND STONES ETC IN MY NATIVE TANK. ADDS TO THE FEEL HAV FUN MATE.

thumps
28-11-2005, 07:34 AM
barra...toga....mangrove jacks....ummm...all available in Mackay to buy at the local pet shop

thelonegranger
28-11-2005, 10:08 AM
Gday PAZ, Mate before looking further at your cod, eels etc, It's worth the taking the extra time to hunt out eV@ns_boy suggestion. I looked at Barra's and cod a few years back, and after studying the psychotic defect in the Mangrove Jack pretty quickly settled on that. There is no other fish in the waters that has small mans syndrome, adhd and a brain in the shape of 666 all combined into 1. They quickly become your favorite pet when you can throw a fish twice it's size into the tank and watch as your boy locks onto it's face and bashes it against any structure/walls of the tank. Great value. Just dont put your finger in the tank(that's your mates job)

I got my Jack at 50mm and grew him up to 350mm in about 2 years. Just don't over feed em. cheers and good luck

hot_stuff
28-11-2005, 10:21 AM
I have a mangrove jack, Bass and a cod in a 4ftx2ftx2ft and lots of rock and trees and they are happy then ever the cod is 18cm Bass 13cm and the jack is 15cm measured on the weekend with a water and tank clean they are lovely fish to keep.