PDA

View Full Version : Days when you feel like a Woos

ssbayguide
24-11-2005, 05:05 PM
Hi All

I found out today that we need to put down our old buddy Oscar the cat.

Cat jokes aside, he has been one of my best mates for the last 12 years after he walked up to my wife and I at an Townsville animal refuge open day in 1994.

I might be 6'3" and 100kgs but isn't it amzing how a pet's demise can bring you to tears.

Days when you feel like a woos!

Peter

blaze
24-11-2005, 05:13 PM
Had my last cat put down after 12 years, one before that made 14years. As I type I have a 6 week old kitten pestering me, this one we also hope will have a long life.
We also keep our cats inside at nights and daytime control. Know what ya talking about Peter
cheers
blaze

itreallywas
24-11-2005, 06:19 PM
Nah your not a wuss
I had to put my 13yr old german shephard down last year that was the hardest thing i have had to do ! :'( and i cried as he was my best mate we did everything together and he was there for me when my mum died as well

I Love you mate wherever you are :)

Mad-One
24-11-2005, 08:15 PM
You're no Woos Just shows you have a big heart and man enough to admit it.
I know how you feel been there done that. :'(
Might help if you get another kitten before you do it :'(

All the best

bungie
24-11-2005, 09:04 PM
Animals really do become one of the family. One of my cats has been with me longer than the kids and the Mrs

warrior
24-11-2005, 09:24 PM
i have a small inside dog that is a big part of our family,one of the kids if not worse sometimes but if she went we would have a big hole in our family,your no woos just human.

Zeeke
24-11-2005, 09:37 PM
hope ya kept it.. theres a fella in NSW who skins the moggys and turns em into a hat... .. hey.. you could take ur best mate fishing then... show him the water and see where he got a feed from.....

or just stuff him and mount him on the fireplace... keep him around for a few more years

Tim
p.s.... No Jokes ere..

ssbayguide
25-11-2005, 10:25 AM
Hi Guys

Thanks for the support.

Yep, he was a real friend to all who knew him. He was around when my mum passed away too. Given that the wife and I were never blessed with children, I've been told the bond is even stronger. He loved fish and he used to entertain everyone by dragging fish frames away. If you can picture a cat towing a queenfish well, that was him.

I still remember one night in Townsville when we were being hit by a cyclone (Justin?). I had the door ajar and was just peeking outside when I felt a paw pushing my leg aside - let me look too!

Whilst we aren't ready for another little friend just yet, I reckon that one day, when we least expect it, one will appear at the front door or will otherwise arrive in our lives.

One old lady I know swears that stray cats looking for a home watch several homes till they find the right one.

I just hope he's chatting with St Francis, my mum and ordering a few whiting fillets!

Best wishes to you all - it's hard being a grown up sometimes!

Peter

rajawolf
25-11-2005, 10:52 AM
Peter, I know how you feel #mate. :'(

My cat made 20 years...she was laying in the fold of the gutter in front of the driveway,while I was backing the car out #to take my youngest to pre-school on his first day. I did not see her and to make it worse she bounced around in front of the car for about a minute before passing away.

It was very upsetting for both of us. :'(

Tony

gogecko
25-11-2005, 11:08 AM
HI Raja,
my misses did the same thing. Our cat was deaf (like most white cats) and it didnt hear the car engine start. Misses was upset for many months, until we got a dog.

ssbayguide
25-11-2005, 11:13 AM
Hi Guys

I'm sorry to hear about how your cats passed away.

I am trying to reassure myself that this was a difficult but necessary choice, rather than an unfortunate and tragic accident - I saw enough of those when I was younger.

The problem is, whilst I love to fish for a feed, part of that mentality was providing a meal for him as well. Funny just how deep and far-reaching the impact can be. Right now, I feel like hanging up the whiting rod - maybe I should for a while.

Peter

Zeeke
25-11-2005, 11:25 AM
We are talking about moggys right?

ssbayguide
25-11-2005, 11:30 AM
Hi Zeeke

Indeed we are, but I thinks the sentiment is meant to cover all pets.

Peter

sf17fisherman
25-11-2005, 11:32 AM
day hell frezzes over will be the day i lay my rods down for anyone or anything
already told the wife i will sell her before the fishing gear ;D

Why-ting
25-11-2005, 11:38 AM
Sorry to hear about ur cat but keep fishin mate i find a few solo night trips up a small creek away from society will help with sortin ya out. maybe try getin a dog. We had a cat for 18 years, we had to put her down and never thought id get another pet. now we got a border collie. Smart little bugger he is too brings heaps of good times whytey :)

Billo
25-11-2005, 03:32 PM
Mine has 6 lives left ...in the last 6 months it has licked a cane toad ( had to flush it's mouth ) ....gotten jagged on a set of bait jigs on my bait rod in the garage ( nice little trip tp the vet to get it cut out ) , chewed on a bee and got stung on the toungue ( won't be doing that again )

persoinalities that you wish you could KILL them , at the same time can't bare to see em in pain !

Needmorerum
25-11-2005, 04:42 PM
Condolences on the loss. It sounds like those that have lost their moggy looked after them right in the first place.

I've got a couple of neighbours that are going to be missing their cats as soon as I can get onto them. They roam all night and piss in the cabin of the boat. The latest was to piss over $300 worth of insulation for the shed. Oooh are they gunna pay.

Corry

Big_unit
26-11-2005, 12:13 AM
Peter,
Ive got one Border Collie pup left that needs a good home, I would let you have him for $150. If you want him let me know.

Cheers
James

revs57
26-11-2005, 05:22 AM
Thanks for the post Peter, and very sorry for your loss,

Its often said that you never own a moggie...but the little buggers have a way of getting under your skin...or sinus in my case...but you just can't help but give them a scratch when they come by and rub up your leg, they get the little engine running that says morrre, morrre...lets you know you're appreciated and you certainly miss them when they pass on

Shows that Ausfishers are on about more than just fishing...its great to be able to stand alongside a mate in this way...thanks again to Ausfish for a very worthwhile forum

cheers

Rhys

adriancorrea
26-11-2005, 08:55 AM
Sorry to hear about that :-/
When I first met my wife I hated cats, She had a very old cat about 15yrs old and I soon grew to love her.
The wife was devasted when we had to put it down due to cancer.
We now have to of the little buggers and they are now a big part of the family.
The littlest cat was a present to me for my birthday from the wife and it has chosen my eldest boy as its owner.
Cats choose their owners not the other way around, they certainly get under your skin and become a big part of your life.
Maybe you should get another one or a dog.

Tight Lines
Adrian

ssbayguide
28-11-2005, 08:25 AM
Hi Guys

Well he's gone now. Like all of you, I have no sympathy for cats that are not kept inside at night and destroy wildlife, as well as peeing on your car etc.

I stayed with him until the end - at first I didn't think I could but I'm glad I did as I could have a final chat with the Vet, who seemed to think, based on what I had to say about his recent behaviour, that he was probably closer to 16 years old - we got him as an adult back in 1994.
The end was so peaceful.

I guess the hardest part now is knowing that he was around for so long. The passage of time makes you think about my wife and I have done in that time. No matter how good or bad the day was, he was always there to meet you when you walked in the door.

Popped in to our local animal refuge before I took him to the vet and made a donation - hoepfully another moggy or puppy will get a shot at life like Oscar did.

Cheers

Peter R

Louis
28-11-2005, 11:52 AM
I am very sorry to hear of your loss Peter.

I know exactly how you feel as I have been through it myself.

I had to have my cat put down as well. #She was 14 years old and suffering from Kidney faliure.

You learn to love them and when they pass it is incredibly hard to deal with.

However it sounds like you loved him very much and gave him a very good life. #You can take solace in that fact.

In time all wounds heal. #

Your pain will eventually pass and you will retain found memorys.

And one day you may be ready to give another little kitten a chance at having a loving owner and a good life.

Louis

thumps
28-11-2005, 12:06 PM
a few years ago...i had my 18 year old german shepard put down

what a great dog

from a fat ugly abused animal that i resuced from the pound to protect my first boat and second motor(the first was stolen out of my back yard..hence the dog)

to the most wonderful, loyal,loving and protective companion that I and 4 children loved so much.

she fought hip problems....bladder problems(she almost blushed at times with her inability to hold back)..and lastly cancer...she was a hero and a best mate.

I miss her dearly..as do my now grown up kids...i still look back at the times when she lay on the floor as a pillow for the kids...to the day she went me at 4 am in the morning after i returned unexpectadly home through a window.
time does heal....and i remember the best days...not the worst....smile at having had the experience of a treasured friend...i do