PDA

View Full Version : Mugged by the fish

MagicRik
26-11-2005, 07:37 PM
my day started at 3.00am and i set off to darlin island 2 hours i was there and not a bite......was using fresh squid and prawns and nothing.
so i walked around to glebe point...........set up a nice rig, bomb sinker to get right to the bottom..........a set of new gang hooks i just bought........one about 16" from the sinker and another 12" away from that, so i could see what depth the fish were biting at.
some nice fresh squid and i was set........i cast out and with the sinker on the end it must have gone about 50 metres or more. Not ten seconds past and i had a huge tug on the line......my first thought was come to daddy you big..............then nothing, really there was nothing, no sinker, no line, no more gang hooks nothing.
it ripped my 4kg line off like i was using candy floss :-[

45 mins later pow metal lure gone
2 hours later two soft lure and another set of gang hooks.
by this time im peeeed off in a big way.
so what i would like to know is can anyone give me any tips on stopping fish bitting off my line.
also the line im using is 4kg like i said, but my reel can hold a a 12lb line so it says on the side........if i want higher line what is the limit my reel can really go......its a shimano fx 4000 and my rod is shimano technium plus spin 70.......or do i need a new bigger reel and rod?

Hoges
26-11-2005, 08:59 PM
i had a huge tug

:o Therein lies the problem! Concerntrate on the fishing lol;)
;)

longtail
26-11-2005, 09:37 PM
4kg is about 8lb , try going up to 12lb line

jason

thumps
27-11-2005, 08:01 AM
and after youve enjoyed that huge tug....maybe some 40lb leader material???

MagicRik
27-11-2005, 08:42 AM
lmao very funny guys.
im moving up in line size and ill go do some read about a leader on my line

fishomatic
27-11-2005, 12:04 PM
Maybe use black or non-shiny swivels, hooks etc
Matt

Fishin_Dan
27-11-2005, 05:26 PM
Silly question - But is it being bitten off, or are your knots breaking/letting go? Did the line have a little curl on the end where it ended?

Not trying to give you stick!

thumps
27-11-2005, 09:14 PM
lol....tugging at ya lil curl now???

oops sorry :-X

juicyfruit
27-11-2005, 09:27 PM
Fishin_Dan ya mentions that it may have been the knot that MagicRik used.....which knot would u have suggested in this case.........sin of all sins i rigged my hubbies line up (as i always do) and the same senerio happened as outlined by MagicRik.....when re-rigging the line i did notice that it was slipped knot that caused his lost *big daddy of a fish* (you might like to know Thumps, i did reframe from tugging on the curly bit as i didnt feel like going to sleep when i was done apart from the fact that i had a headache ;D).......after much apologising to my hubby and total lack in confidence to rig again.........which knot would have been the best?????

MagicRik
27-11-2005, 11:34 PM
you might be right there Dan one time all i was left with was a swivle on the end, so after that i changed to the uni knot............i need some help with rigging.......ive been looking for a site with pics and tips on how to rig my line right.
thanks Rik

revs57
28-11-2005, 05:36 AM
Sounds like someone needs a hug??? Nuthin' worse than being mugged MagikRik...maybe one..having a knot slip...sorry Juicey Fruit, but more power to ya' for rigging ya hubbies line...usually its the other way round.

As a kid I picked up the Anglers Omnibus...It's been the bible for fishing for me for over 30 years....good suggestions for rigs to catch different species and I still refer to it for refresher ideas. Good info on gear, different types of fishing, freshwater, saltwater, reef, game as well.

I picked up Geoff Wilsons knot book from my local tackle store for my young bloke a couple of christmas's ago, knot very expensive (couldn't resist the pun)and plenty of good illustrations and suggestions for different knots there...the pages are waterproof and doesn't take up much room in the tackle box...could be a good christmas pressie???

Cheers

Rhys

DICER
28-11-2005, 06:01 AM
try this site for knots....
http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtechniques/knots_index.html

revs57
28-11-2005, 06:13 AM
Good site Dicer...

MagicRik
28-11-2005, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the site dicer.......its a big help