PDA

View Full Version : Lures Vs Fresh bait

MagicRik
28-11-2005, 04:38 PM
I just got the summer copy of Fishing world, half way into it it hit me............and im not talking about the mag............the fact that all the pro fisher people in side the mag all use lures.......not a one pic ive seen has a fish with fresh bait in its mouth..................also the fisher men on the AFC all use lures too.......so is it just me or are more people using lures then fresh bait?.........and if that is the cast, is that because lures are better?..........the reason for this topic is that i was on a dock 5 min from where i live today, just for an hour......practicing using my lures and landed some tailors.........2 hours i was there the other morning with fresh squid and prawns and not a bite.

sf17fisherman
28-11-2005, 06:25 PM
no i belive bait do fish as well as lures on some days and vice cersa but never fear i still belive most fisherpersons use bait and more fish would get caught on bait
i use lures and i love them and found they are better for targeting a species however if they were all that all the line fishing pros would only have lures and not bait ;)

gotwet
28-11-2005, 07:54 PM
i like putting bait on those jig heads...

cheers mal

thumps
29-11-2005, 05:26 AM
lures are about $10 bucks a pop....bait is about 10 cents a throw.....advertising????

fishingnottake
29-11-2005, 06:53 AM
depends on the day, what you're fishing for etc, and when you're taking photo's a nice clean sp hanging out of the corner of their mouth is a lot cleaner then some squid shreds, and you can cover a lot more ground with lures, so in comps like the afc when every second counts they come into their own.
ash

fishomatic
29-11-2005, 07:56 AM
Bait would outfish lures by thousands every year just because the large majority of the fishing population arn't magazine writers, tournament anglers etc. The casual danglers are mostly bait users. Having said that, the only time I use bait is if I don't have a lure to do the job or, the species I'm targeting is easier with bait and I want to get a few under my belt before I try lures.
Matt

Billo
29-11-2005, 08:21 AM
From my perspective , i think lures used PROPERLY will outfish dead bait on most occasions for predatory fish .
There is still those that are much better fished with bait ....but lures bring a whole new competitive level .....more fulfilling .
The best bit about lures is you don't get stinky bait squashed into the carpet on the boat ...makes it a lot easier to clean down afterwards .

But it is hard to beat a livey !

MagicRik
29-11-2005, 08:22 AM
is there a site on what lures and bait work for what fish?

fishomatic
29-11-2005, 08:28 AM
Don't know any sites but there are lots of books.
You could do a lot worse that to ask members of this site
Matt