PDA

View Full Version : The Enforcers

thumps
28-11-2005, 07:30 AM
i have noticed on a few threads that there seems to be a lot of ppl being critical of others and the way they do their "thing"

whilst i am all for education into the various ways to do things...ie handle fish/release fish....i myself find it a little frustrating that a member posts a few pics ..or makes a comment purely out of the excitment and pleasure of doing what they enjoy...only to have the thread turn into a forum on the HOW TO...or What You Did Wrong

wouldnt it be better to congratulate the fisherman on his skill or luck ..rather than critisize the way the fish/comment is presented in this Forum.

we have all been guilty of transgressions...and i for one believe that a seperate Forum for education would be a great help...rather than seperated incidents of others enforcing their ideals in various threads.

we are all open to learning....but in learning we will make mistakes....and by our mistakes we will learn.

Jeremy
28-11-2005, 08:36 AM
don't really agree with you there sorry mate. This is a 'chat' board where people express their opinions. We may not agree with what others may say or do, world would be very boring if everyone was the same wouldn't it!

I do think that criticisms can usially be expressed in a positive way tho, rather than negative. That might make a difference?

Jeremy

bidkev
28-11-2005, 08:57 AM
Mate, this is usenet/world wide web. The place where some people feel they have the anonymity to do/say practically anything without consequence and where others will beat their heads against a brick wall trying to persuade them not so to do. ;D

FWIW, I've been around newsgroups/forums for a while now and I can assure you that this site is the most amicable/amenable I have ever visited. Occasionally someone will "put their foot in it" (recently guilty myself) but most members seem able top recognise when this is so, and not simply assume that it is some obnoxious jerk trying to fire someone else up.

We make mistakes irl, we have differences of opinions irl, and we voice those differences irl. IRL, we often jump to conclusions in the heat of the moment because there isn't time to measure our response. Here it is different. We have time to pause, have room for thought, and "then" say what we feel, so IMHO it is more likely that any response is more true to that person's real feelings on the subject.

There is also the added complication that we can only use emoticons to express what we are saying and some folk may not be fully conversant with this. Without body language a constructive criticism can easily be construed as a personal attack, or ridiculing of another's' behaviour/opinion. The way to avoid this for new members would be to lurk for awhile and "gauge" the atmosphere or sincerity of others without jumping in with all guns blazing. Of course, many posters may post in the evenings when they are enjoying the amber fluid and their response may be "amber coloured" ;D Such is life.

Considering the amount of members, my opinion is, that this is a relatively wonderfully behaved forum with very little *real* offensive material filtering through and the moderators seem to have found a good balance.

People will disagree, and will voice their opinions as they see fit, and as long as there is no abuse of a personal nature, I see no reason why this should not be (openly) so in *any* section of the site.

my 2cents worth

kev

Pwoida
28-11-2005, 09:06 AM
Kev, I get "FWIW" and "IMHO" but I cant figure out "IRL". Its a bit early in the morning for me.

Black_Rat
28-11-2005, 09:08 AM
In real life :-?

DR
28-11-2005, 11:22 AM
i agree with what Kev said, due to the fact that we don't express fully in words

ie: felix sits in front of his computer,he turns, he burps, he farts. 'aahhh, thats better' he says. thinking 'mmmm,Kingtin has a point. if we don't explain fully, we can gat flamed by those that don't understand what we are trying to sy. rriinnggg, rrriiinnnggg,the phone rings 'bugger'thinks Felix 'wonder who that is disturbing my ausfish time? 'hello s.o.t.t,........ NO, I DON'T WANT TO SWITCH TO BLOODY OPTUS, GO AWAY, TAKE ME OFF YOUR DAMN LIST' says out loud, 'bloody telemarketers,wish i could reach through the phone & squeeze the curry out of em''

where was i, thats right i was replying to kingtin, is that the time, damn have to go out on a job..
a quick reply is needed..

felix writes..i agree Kev, there can be some wankers on here.. hits post..

thinks, maybe i should have explained myself better,someone will not read between the lines & take offense,but then it can generate some interesting threads.. (insert smilie here)

ba229
28-11-2005, 11:29 AM
You calling me a ###### felix? >:( >:( ;D ;D ;D ::)

ba229
28-11-2005, 11:33 AM
On a different note... :-) Thumps this site is pretty mild when it comes to people abusing each other or pointing out faults and failures with menacing language.

There are some chat sites about (even some fishing ones) where it is just offensive to bother reading and being a part of it.

If you feel that someone has done you wrong you could always send them a personal message and politley ask them what they are smokin' :-)

But generally as long as you do as you're told around here you will be fine ;D ;D ;D ;D

thumps
28-11-2005, 11:44 AM
all good responces...and as you so clearly agree...its a forum...and a place to express opinions

so no harm done...and no offence taken

is he really a wa**er????

revs57
28-11-2005, 11:46 AM
Alex, you've proved your not a w@nker...your new addition established that fact ;D ;D ;D ;D

By the way, hope you guys are still getting plenty of sleep????

Cheers

Rhys

DR
28-11-2005, 11:53 AM
Alex, you've proved your not a w@nker...your new addition established that fact

( insert lol smilie here)

thumps
28-11-2005, 11:57 AM
wouldnt it be better to congratulate the fisherman on his skill or luck ..rather than critisize the way the fish/comment is presented in this Forum.

we have all been guilty of transgressions...and i for one believe that a seperate Forum for education would be a great help...rather than seperated incidents of others enforcing their ideals in various threads.

i notice with some interest on a post ...How To Handle and release Barra

this was more the way i intended my post to go...with educational aspects...not so much emphasis on the critism.....and i appluade A_diff_perspective on his post

Needmorerum
28-11-2005, 08:58 PM
Alex, you've proved your not a w@nker...your new addition established that fact ;D ;D ;D ;D

Elton John has kids too remember...

rajawolf
28-11-2005, 09:46 PM
Kev,
Wise words of wisdom!

fishingnottake
28-11-2005, 10:08 PM
geez raja don;t tell me you've gone soft? you were my idol

rajawolf
28-11-2005, 10:23 PM
I am starting to regret my turn around already ;D

Billo
29-11-2005, 08:31 AM
i would have to agree with Kev also .
This site is generally well behaved and transgressions are not as aggrevated as i have seen on other sites .

In saying that , we only learn by discussion of opinions ...if opinions were not shared , then we learn nothing .

Yes , some people can be a bit over the top on some discussions ( we all have our days ) but i think we need to take it in our stride and take the constructive critiscm as just that , constructive ....anything beyond that , don't read into it and personalise it ....a lot of people go off at the general principle in some circumstances ( maybe a reoccurring theme ) and not intentionally being personal towards an individual member .

thumps
29-11-2005, 09:13 AM
now hang on

this post was never intended to have a go at the critism

it was intended to suggest that a seperate education thread may be in order.

i was commenting that someone posts a pic...and all of a sudden its a "did you release it unharmed" piece

never was it a go at ppl having their say...as much as a suggestion.

i am open for critism..and find it healthy...but lets be fair....let a fisher post a pic without having to always justify the capture.

Educate.

thumps
29-11-2005, 09:24 AM
HANDLING BARRA FOR RELEASE, LARGE, or small!(freshwater topic)

this is the kind of thing i was suggesting should have a main topic by it self

bidkev
29-11-2005, 09:28 AM
<snip>
i was commenting that someone posts a pic...and all of a sudden its a "did you release it unharmed" piece

<snip>

This infers that this is a general attitude on this site, no? Because that's what it sounds like you are saying and I have to disagree. It happens occasionally and is usually done with the best of intentions.

Perhaps you can illustrate why you infer this by pointing me in the direction of the threads to which you refer?

If this is *not* what you mean, then I stand corrected.

cheers

kev

thumps
29-11-2005, 09:41 AM
see above

bidkev
29-11-2005, 11:22 AM
see above

Mate, I'm still not with you........probably because I'm a bit thick ;D

In the initial post, you said, "rather than seperated incidents of others enforcing their ideals in various threads."

Now that infers to me, by the use of multiples ie "others" and "various threads" that you consider the "enforcing of ideals" to be a regular occurence on this site and you have stated that without illustrating in what threads this was taking place.

I responded merely to point out that this is not so and in order to allay any fears that any newcomers to the site may garner from your observation. Whether *you* think "others" "enforce their ideals" is of no real consequence to me so there I will let the matter rest.

cheers

kev

thumps
29-11-2005, 11:43 AM
read

HUGE SARATOGA...freshwater pics
BIG FLATHEAD....saltwater chat

my point was this

"and i for one believe that a seperate Forum for education would be a great help"

and i then exalted an article posted the next day as an example

thick???...me thinks not

but i do wonder how hard it is to grasp a concept without twisting the objective....once again...i e comments made about irrelevant comments, or portions taken out of a topic that are misunderstood, or changed

now i will leave it

cheers

GES
29-11-2005, 02:20 PM
I'm not buying into the argument here about what has or has not been intended in the posts on this thread ... but I'll just say this ... There is more good information given on this site, as it now exists, than any similar site I have #ever looked on. The blokes on here are much more than generous with their experience and expertise, almost on a day to day basis. I have learned so much from here. And yes, accasionally, we get someone who gets a bit too personal with their remarks or name-calling when they get fired up about something but, if it gets too thick or out of hand, the other blokes on the site or the moderators soon pull the offender back into what is more acceptable.
The information in your personal details shows that you have only been on this site for 12 days. If that is the case, may I respectfully suggest, that you don't get too upset about what you have seen thus far Thumps, just sit back and watch how the site works for a while. You will see that the education aspect you suggested goes on all the time, without the need for another Forum heading.
If you think someone is being a bit rough or critical on someone else, then tell 'em ...politely.

GES

thumps
29-11-2005, 02:23 PM
agreed...and was always my intention

and im not upset...

the initial subject was lost in translation...and needed clarifying

thumps
29-11-2005, 02:30 PM
and as for the suggestion that i have only been on this site for 12 days......

i have Ross River Virus...and have read nearly ever thread/topic posted on this site for the last 3 months...i appreciate what your saying

but as so clearly stated by everyone on here...opinion is asked for...critism is asked for....and i felt a new topic of Saftey was an important issue...nothing more...nothing less

thumps
29-11-2005, 02:30 PM
and as for the suggestion that i have only been on this site for 12 days......

i have Ross River Virus...and have read nearly ever thread/topic posted on this site for the last 3 months...i appreciate what your saying

but as so clearly stated by everyone on here...opinion is asked for...critism is asked for....and i felt a new topic of Education was an important issue...nothing more...nothing less

Owen
29-11-2005, 06:52 PM
I get where you're coming from thumps.
The only problem is that even with a thread or section devoted to education who decides what is right?
I have seen a few threads where the intiater of teh post was hammered a bit for one reason or other. Sometimes it was because they had (knowingly or unknowingly) transgressed the law. Sometimes because they had transgressed someone elses beliefs of what is right, and sometimes because they had previously pissed someone else off.
This is a public forum, so you just have o sort the wheat from the chaff really.
In reality it's pretty tame. If you want real agression, jump on to usenet and lob a few comments on aus.politics, aus.religion or whatever. ;D

cheers,

Owen

thumps
29-11-2005, 08:21 PM
cheers owen

it was just a suggestion...thats all

Az
30-11-2005, 01:08 PM
...here I was thinking this thread was about Ingalls mighty win in the championship :D

ba229
30-11-2005, 10:25 PM
...here I was thinking this thread was about Ingalls mighty win in the championship #:D

lmao Initailly I thought the same thing to. Go the enforcer.

bushbeachboy
01-12-2005, 07:59 PM
Az,
Wot's an ingle? :P