PDA

View Full Version : school mackerel

nils_desporandum
24-11-2005, 11:30 AM
what does one do with 30 school mackerel?

Mick
24-11-2005, 12:56 PM
Let me guess, you caught your bag limit? ::) Eat them. :P

scatter1
24-11-2005, 01:01 PM
if you don't know what to do with them, why take 30 in the first place for f#cks sake?

ShaneJ
24-11-2005, 01:04 PM
if you don't know what to do with them, why take 30 in the first place for f#cks sake?
The book says you can? :-/

lukesnapper
24-11-2005, 01:22 PM
GIVE SOME TO FREINDS AND FAMILY MATE!! ::)

uripper
24-11-2005, 01:25 PM
nils desporandum

seems like an unusual question given this recent post by you -
if you dont want to eat it leave it alone
sick of seeing bleeding,sick,stressed fish released to the sharks in the name of "sport"

so ...
1. is this a qenuine question?
2. or do you just like tossing grenades into the forum?
3. or none of the above, your just another post wanabie?

bigmack
24-11-2005, 01:26 PM
take the time to fillet them properly, cut them into steaks and put them as individual meals in plastic bags and freeze them. If you didnt bleed them, cut the blood line out. They freeze well.

the limit is ten each from memory - if they are spotties ????

mackerel keeps well, barbeques well - try some wrapped in bacon and done on the plate - makes excellent curry (red curry fish) and the backbones are what you use in the crabpots. In our house I knock the head off and the tail off and we eat the meat off the backbone as well - my girls get mackerel tails and steaks and I sit down to one or two backbones and fork the white juicy meat off. Yummo (oh - my dog gets to eat mackerel as well........all the skins, bloodline bits and anything else left over. Apart from a head and tail absolutely nothing gets wasted. They have very shallow rib cages and flick out easily with a sharp knife and next to no bones.

If you caught thirty - thats ten each between three, so you will have some fish for lucky neighbours and they will appreciate you.

if you didnt want thirty - you should have looked into your esky and asked yourself the question............do we have enough and started releasing.

As the other poster said - Eat them.

last question - where did you fish!!

Tx
BM

Fishinmishin
24-11-2005, 01:30 PM
Limit your catch....don't catch your limit.
I will take my limit of other species at occasional times but not if I gotta say 'What to do with them?' :(. There lives would have been better spent swimming or making someone else happy catching just a few. I was out yesterday and they were in plauge numbers but I took 3 and moved on.
My 2 bob ;).
They were schoolies...not spotties Bigmac.
Cheers, Jay

dfox
24-11-2005, 01:34 PM
I Know alot of people who come on holidays from western parts of queensland just to target these, there fun to catch and prepared and frozen correctly provide many meals in the following weeks after they return home...
bag limits...foxy

madman1
24-11-2005, 01:36 PM
Let common sense prevail!!!

I would be happy with only one or two, unless I had a family of around 100.

bigmack
24-11-2005, 02:14 PM
i stand corrected 5 spotties each - bring on the big versions!

where were you guys fishing ?

Pro's on the mackerel today at Mooloolaba.

BM

Billo
24-11-2005, 02:22 PM
I've got an idea ::)

but yes , eat them is what people who normally catch and kill a big bag do !....well i would hope they do ! :-?

Pwoida
24-11-2005, 03:36 PM
I think what Nils is getting at in a round-about way is that 30 fish per person is too many. Is that right Nils?

Duyz72
24-11-2005, 03:50 PM
Fillet them up, keep a few fillets and make the rest in to fish burgers. Freeze the burgers for a few months of eating. Although if you keep catching so many often enough it will be a waste anyway.

Give them to your neighbours and friends is always appreciated.

nils_desporandum
24-11-2005, 04:52 PM
no i didnt take 30,just been watching other anglers here on holidays bagging out 7 days in a row with 3 blokes on board thats 90 a day, so what do you do with 30 fish a day when your staying in a caravan park?
even if u had a freezer.....

nils_desporandum
24-11-2005, 04:53 PM
ps thanks for the cooking lessons bigmak

Spaniard_King
24-11-2005, 05:07 PM
30 schoolies.....you need to have a party ;)

Fishin_Dan
24-11-2005, 05:27 PM
You must be down the Gold Coast Nils!!!!

You're not a "Toolie" are you? ;) ;D LOL

DaneCross
24-11-2005, 05:34 PM
I'd like to know where you are too nils... I wouldn't mind having the opportunity to bag out on mackerel :)

webby
24-11-2005, 07:07 PM
If you read the rules properly, 30 in possession, means in the boat or in the fridge at home.
So realisticly there breaking the rules, unless their flogging them off.
So if fisheries were to pay them a visit after a trip and they had 90 on board and shit loads in the fridge, they could be fined.
regards

Spaniard_King
24-11-2005, 09:17 PM
If you read the rules properly, 30 in possession, means in the boat or in the fridge at home.
So realisticly there breaking the rules, unless their flogging them off.
So if fisheries were to pay them a visit after a trip and they had 90 on board and shit loads in the fridge, they could be fined.
regards

Hang on Webby.. I thought flogging them off was illegal as well ;)

Unfortunately the in possesion rule has not been tested to the full extent. I don't think they wana be that mean :o I think it's just a technical term incase they need to inforce it ;)

Garry

HAMMER740
24-11-2005, 11:18 PM
And they wonder why we get bag limits and regulations. :o

redspeckle
25-11-2005, 07:31 AM
I am in agreement with the above post statement
People only think about today but not tomorrow

Mitch

cooky
25-11-2005, 10:39 AM
Why don't you just ask them. Nicely and "out of curiousity". They may have a completely valid reason. Maybe they play footy or cricket or something and they've got a carnival on the weekend. They might use them to raise some funds for cancer research by selling fish burgers at their kiddies fete. You won't know until you ask. Have a beer with them.

It really sh*ts me when people assume the worst before knowing all the facts.

I would never take that many because I'm too selfish and lazy to bother distributing that many after a trip. Oh and I'm a sh*t fisherman so I don't think I'd ever catch that many anyway.

Funny enough though with my family, friends, and work I know I'd easily make at least 10 people very happy with one or three each - so wouldn't be difficult at all.

This might be these guys annual blokes fishing / camping / piss trip (away from wives). They mightn't catch ANY friggin fish the rest of the year.

What is the commerical catch of mackeral on any given day?

Should I be rewarded because I'm too bloody hopeless a fisherman to catch fish in any numbers?? Suddenly I'm a hero to environmentalists and 'responsible' fisherfolk. Someone please give me a trophy.

dfox
25-11-2005, 12:07 PM
Commercial catches of spotted mackerel have been governed since the banning of ring netting. Its vertually a line fishery only now, with a maximium of 150 fish allowed on board a boat for the day. A catch reporter is also required, where by the pro has to ring and report the number of fish he has on board for the day prior to landing, these fish are then given a reference number and once sold to a buyer another number so they can be tract by the fisheries.
The fisheries then can use this infomation to regulate the total allowable catch for a given area. Once a total has been reached, that area can be closed to the taking of mackerel for that season.
The areas in queensland that the biggest numbers of these mackerel are taken is moreton bay, harvey bay, the bowen area and north of townsville to innisfail.

cooky
25-11-2005, 01:34 PM
150 per boat.
I wasn't having a go at Commercial fishing at all, just that it generally seems to work out in the wash. There are plenty of average fishos like me that spend lots of cash to catch sweet FA and a number of fishos that have better luck / skill.

I'm wondering how many trips these guys got stuff all, promised all and sundry a feed of fish and when they get onto a good patch - it's time to feed the masses. I know blokes that get favours (electrical, plumbing, loan a mower, etc) from neighbours and friends with a promise of fish on the next trip. Can take bloody plenty of trips coming home with nothing before they're able to pay up.

I've been out 4 or 5 times over the last 2 months and haven't brought one fish home.....

I think people see the boat ramps and assume that everyone comes home with a load of fish.

Mick
25-11-2005, 01:38 PM
[quote author=cooky link=1132795833/15#25 date=1132889642]150 per boat.

I've been out 4 or 5 times over the last 2 months and haven't brought one fish home.....

quote]

That doesn't surprise me at all... ;D ;D ;D

cooky
25-11-2005, 02:14 PM
That doesn't surprise me at all...

Always got to be a smart arse in the crowd ;D

although in five trips we might have managed 2 hours fishing. Magnetic Island, beers, and backpackers don't help the fishing. :)

stunnedmullet
25-11-2005, 03:39 PM
Gee cooky you really are crap. Aren't you getting anything out of this forum? ;D
Damo

cooky
25-11-2005, 10:13 PM
stunned mullet muncher - answer is NO. not much :P

HAMMER740
02-12-2005, 04:18 PM
I think some of you miss the point of fishing. Even if you go out 5 times and still come back with nothing it just means the plan had a hole in it. That is okay I'm guilty of it too, but at least it is relaxing. If you totalled all the money you spend on equipment,bait,fuel,ice etc over the years fishing is definetly a non-profit venture. Enjoy the time.
As far as catching enough for the neighbours,mates,postman and the cat it is just an excuse. If you really want to give them fish take them out to catch their own. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] Maybe leave the cat at home its up to you.

dfox
02-12-2005, 05:05 PM
Hammer, looking at that pic i'd be altering coarse to starboard lol ;D ;D ;D

Sportfish_5
02-12-2005, 05:30 PM
Id be altering course by 180 degrees ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

cooky
02-12-2005, 06:02 PM
I think some of you miss the point of fishing. Even if you go out 5 times and still come back with nothing it just means the plan had a hole in it. That is okay I'm guilty of it too, but at least it is relaxing. If you totalled all the money you spend on equipment,bait,fuel,ice etc over the years fishing is definetly a non-profit venture. Enjoy the time.

nice photo. Hope you didn't think I meant I expected to actually catch fish. Mate, I go fishing, but I really don't expect to catch fish. Fish are a BONUS. I get away to relax with myself or friends. Fishing is just an excuse to spend money on toys and play with shiny things. ;D

noluck
02-12-2005, 11:49 PM
if u bring home 30 school mackerel and you eat tham all . You will sh#$% [smiley=sick2.gif] [smiley=sick2.gif] your self and you will never bring 30 mackerels home again